Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery rank 9 test and the Stealth mechanic

ZzVinniezZ

ok so a friend of my said that doing MR 9 test is too difficult to pass due to the Enemies able to detect you at extreme range (kinda like Eidolon map detection range). so i tested it out myself and here is the result.

1. Enemies detection range

_ as i have said they have extremely high sensitive detection, one of the test i tried to hide behind the pillar and he somehow detected me and fail one try. what?? how?

_ 2nd time is that when i tried to stealth kill a grineer and the grineer on the walkway from far away able to detect me killing the grineer and fail another try.

_ at stage 2 of the stealth test, you spawn in....in front of the enemies...result in instant fail (why???)

2. Stealth kill range

_ ok this is not a major problem but...you are forced to somehow stay extremely near behind enemies back to able to perform the stealth kill, 1 out of 20 stealth kill, you will bump into enemies and alert them, what do you know? fail.

3. bug(?)

_ sometime when you stealth kill enemies, they still detected you even if they died?? (prove me wrong on this one or im that lucky to get this bug)

4. Meta weapon

_ only Glaive / Redeemer able to help you with this one, it is possible to use other weapons to pass the test but it near impossible to.

5. Execution time is not your friend

_ whatever you do...don't take any weapon that take too much time on execution, it will result in enemies that are approaching to your area or on patrol and got you in their "Extreme" line of sight, resulting in you failing the mission.

6. corpses

_ yeah....idk chief, leaving the corpses there for enemies to be on full alert is not the best but....it almost impossible to deal with this as the test area is quite open resulting in enemies on full alert.

final Verdict: MR9 test is too difficult, it needs a fix and so does the stealth mechanic or remove this test and replace by something better. it is possible to pass this test with Glaive and redeemer but not everyone at MR9 would craft those or already sold them for weapon slots. please allow this mission to be possible for all melee and not restricted to ranged melee only (even if u got ranged melee you still have a hard time trying to pass it). i tested 10 times and only twice that i passed. 

if you think that is fair then perhaps give the test a re-try (im at MR 26 and re-take this test to make sure if my friend MR9 is joking and i somehow questioned myself how did i passed this test at 1st try back then?)

p/s: you can just summon Arch-gun and kill everything to pass this test if you shoot them fast enough. except my friend don't have arch gun unlocked yet. sound stupid i know but it worked.

fine DE, if u dont fix stealth...i will fix it...with bullets

Edited by ZzVinniezZ
  • Like 2

I've noticed that even though you're trying to be stealthy, with invisibility or not, enemies react to sound. So, if you're sprinting around, they will hear you and detect you. You have several grineer enemies there so you need to be aware of all of them, including the ones you're not expecting.

If you're MR8, good luck retrying it, but I'm almost sure you're WAY in the 20's...

Just now, Uhkretor said:

I've noticed that even though you're trying to be stealthy, with invisibility or not, enemies react to sound. So, if you're sprinting around, they will hear you and detect you. You have several grineer enemies there so you need to be aware of all of them, including the ones you're not expecting.

If you're MR8, good luck retrying it, but I'm almost sure you're WAY in the 20's...

well "use your warframe stealth abilities" locked my loki abilities seem fair when enemies can detect you extreme easily

5 minutes ago, ZzVinniezZ said:

_ as i have said they have extremely high sensitive detection, one of the test i tried to hide behind the pillar and he somehow detected me and fail one try. what?? how?

_ 2nd time is that when i tried to stealth kill a grineer and the grineer on the walkway from far away able to detect me killing the grineer and fail another try.

_ at stage 2 of the stealth test, you spawn in....in front of the enemies...result in instant fail (why???)

First 2, there may have been other enemies you didn't notice, third one, I suppose bug.

ok this is not a major problem but...you are forced to somehow stay extremely near behind enemies back to able to perform the stealth kill, 1 out of 20 stealth kill, you will bump into enemies and alert them, what do you know? fail.

Never had a problem with it, just approach from behind and trigger it the moment you get the proc.

3. bug(?)

Most probably a bug, yeah.

6 minutes ago, ZzVinniezZ said:

only Glaive / Redeemer able to help you with this one, it is possible to use other weapons to pass the test but it near impossible to.

Not true at all

6 minutes ago, ZzVinniezZ said:

whatever you do...don't take any weapon that take too much time on execution, it will result in enemies that are approaching to your area or on patrol and got you in their "Extreme" line of sight, resulting in you failing the mission.

Just go full attack speed to make the animation faster

7 minutes ago, ZzVinniezZ said:

yeah....idk chief, leaving the corpses there for enemies to be on full alert is not the best but....it almost impossible to deal with this as the test area is quite open resulting in enemies on full alert

Use channeling to make the corpses disappear.

My general suggestion for the test is full attack speed, channeling and most importantly enemy radar, as much as you can (bonus points if ivara) it's just too useful

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

First 2, there may have been other enemies you didn't notice, third one, I suppose bug.

no, he is actually the last one, he magically detected my feet that i crouching behind the pillar. talk about keen vision.

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

Not true at all

what ya meant?

4 minutes ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

Just go full attack speed to make the animation faster

Use channeling to make the corpses disappear.

My general suggestion for the test is full attack speed, channeling and most importantly enemy radar, as much as you can (bonus points if ivara) it's just too useful

i see. but it still difficult to pass without making any mistake.

15 minutes ago, 844448 said:

Isn't passing without making any mistake the purpose of having a test? Now you have enemies with better awareness because stealth is considered too easy

yes but enemies can detected you through non-sense reasons then u starting to questioned....why stealth is so broken. i mean don't get me wrong you can give it a few test and see for yourself. would you believe enemies can detect you if you air-melee away from them but not running behind them? 

Edited by ZzVinniezZ

Ok, this is what I find from them

- They can see slightly further now so hide as best as you can. If you're detected, up your hiding game

- If you're detected, possibly enemies from the side saw you

- They have basic awareness if they see a corpse so they will roam out from determined path so try observing their paths and plan ahead

- Melee makes sound and since you say running doesn't make you detected, should we make them hear the sound of you running?

Just now, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

Lol pass first try. Using dread, barely a need for melee. 

But I've stood in front of enemies that walked through me without detecting me, so idk.

Are we talking about the same test because MR test 9 is strictly melee.

Like others have said, Enemy Sense is very helpful, but you can get all the info you need by just hanging back as far as you can or at the first cover. You have to know your windows to attack, and plan your order carefully.

I mean, I did it with Ember and a Zenistar.

Update: When Update 26 releases channeling will be removed making this guide redundant. There are videos of people completing it without channeling so do look for them. Here are two that I found at the time of this edit.

Spoiler

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is the best I can give "down to the minimum".

• Remove all mods except your choice of aura and equip Enemy Sense or Vigilante Pursuit and Stealth Drift (max). Just those two will give enough range for you to see all the enemies on the minimap.
  • Use a naturally fast weapon with a fast stealth-takedown animation, equip Fury(or Prime and Gladiator Vice if you have it).
  • Mod your melee for Channel Efficiency (Reflex Coil and Channel Efficiency). Having the dead body dissolve from the field will help greatly as enemies seeing them will put them in alert state making it much harder to sneak around. And since you removed most of your mods from bullet-point 1, you'll start off with enough energy to channel-stealth-takedown all enemies.

Section 1 and 2 are still easy due to having a fair amount of cover to hide from enemy sight. Section 3 is the hardest one. Telling you the steps to take is going to be hard without a visual so here's a video of it. The test has indeed gotten harder since I last did it, had to make this run multiple times just to get the ideal positioning for section 3. Pay attention to the enlarged mini map, notice how and when I decide to move base on where the enemies are, where they're facing, and which way they're moving.

Edited by NekroArts
Update 26 will remove channeling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Oh boy. At mr20 you will be surprised. 

MR19. MR20 is the archwing timed test. 

Though that being said, I heard DE broke stealth or something. Adaro runs have not been the same given that enemies can now be alerted if they see you sleepquinox them, and even stealth scanning has broken. Wouldn't be surprised if that was a thing. 

7 minutes ago, sleepychewbacca said:

MR19. MR20 is the archwing timed test. 

Though that being said, I heard DE broke stealth or something. Adaro runs have not been the same given that enemies can now be alerted if they see you sleepquinox them, and even stealth scanning has broken. Wouldn't be surprised if that was a thing. 

I mean the mr 20 test is just so incredibly easy compared to any of the previous tests. It should have been put on a lower mr test.

On the subject of enemy detection ranges, this is because there are two modes an enemy can be in.

Unalerted enemies, those marked with a hollow arrow with Enemy Radar, have significantly lower detection range. They have something like a 15 meter, 60 degree cone in front of them that they can detect. You can do some pretty ridiculous jumps and flips to slip right above their heads without being detected, that's how narrow that cone of vision is.

However, enemies that are on alert, marked with a filled arrow, will basically spot you from anywhere as long as they have some level of line of sight. Enemies can be put into this state very easily, gunfire, finding corpses, seeing shots nearby, but there are cases where this alert status can transmit itself to other enemies outside of line of sight. This can sometimes happen as an enemy dies, resulting in an enemy across the map being set into an alert state and immediately spotting you. What normally happens is that the enemy you're trying to kill reaches this state, possibly from you bumping into them right before you initiate a stealth finisher, or you doing a normal melee attack that immediately gets cancelled into a stealth finisher on the prompt.

You can usually avoid most of the problems as long as your approach is measured. During a stealth finisher, the specific enemy won't update its status, which means if it is triggered when the target is in an unalerted state, that status has no chance to spread.

Edited by RX-3DR

1 minute ago, RX-3DR said:

Unalerted enemies, those marked with a hollow arrow with Enemy Radar, have significantly lower detection range. They have something like a 15 meter, 60 degree cone in front of them that they can detect. You can do some pretty ridiculous jumps and flips to slip right above their heads without being detected, that's how narrow that cone of vision is.

However, enemies that are on alert, marked with a filled arrow, will basically spot you from anywhere as long as they have some level of line of sight. Enemies can be put into this state very easily, gunfire, finding corpses, seeing shots nearby, but there are cases where this alert status can transmit itself to other enemies outside of line of sight. This can sometimes happen as an enemy dies, especially with regular melee attacks, resulting in an enemy across the map being set into an alert state and immediately spotting you. What normally causes this to happen is that the enemy you're trying to kill reaches this state, possibly from you bumping into them right before you initiate a stealth finisher, or you doing a normal melee attack that immediately gets cancelled into a stealth finisher on the prompt.

This is an issue with stealth in Warframe, enemies are either all but blind or omniscient and can tell where you are through walls, doors and anything.

This compares poorly to things like Metal Gear Solid, where the stealth is the backbone of the game, but Warframe doesn't need to be on that level, however it could stand a second look at functionality, currently stealth in Warframe heavily relies on invisibility to bypass any actual sneaking, also a portion of the tilesets are a bit too restrictive in sneaking options to allow for non-invisible stealth options.

Sounds like a job for Ash!

Fatal teleport fk yeaaaaah!

EDIT: But also remember to dispose of the body (using melee channel / arca plasmor) or else patrolling enemies will see them and become alert.

Edited by Aluzhun

it was for a time when stealth mattered and you had to use enemy timings , though not sure its really that difficult,. will try it with a regular frame and revert if it feels too hard.

Update:

So i do have to say its a bit harder without a glaive or redeemer, but once you know the enemy pathing its not too tough, you do need to be a bit more patient , and patience is not what warframe players are known for. Just get an enemy radar mod as well as a speed mod on the weapon. Daggers and polearms tend to have quick animations , but speed mods make them faster.

Edited by 0_The_F00l