Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Painterly warframe by Tykenn

Tykennn

Introduction
Have you ever wanted to let your creativity shine? To apply every single status effect in the game in a myriad of wonderful colors all with a single warframe? Do you just like paint? Perhaps sniffing it? Then Strix (The Painter) is for you!

Hello I'm Tykenn, I'm a freelance illustrator and graphic designer. Who also heavily daples in creative writing and the creation of game mechanics for systems such as Dungeons and Dragons, etc.
I wanted to try my hand at warframe to see what I could do, and I hope I've done warframe justice! Any and all comments and criticisms are welcome, however, please make the criticisms constructive so we both can create a better frame together.

Passive: Strix stores the last two paints used by her Painterly ability and mixes them, empowering her castings of Streak, Messy, and Still Life. If an enemy succumbs to a paint effect, they will be coated in the corresponding paint color.

Painterly: By taping this ability, Strix cycles through her blue, green, red, and yellow paints. By holding down this ability, Strix splashes her selected paint in a wide arc in front of her, damaging enemies and applying elemental status effects.

Streak: Strix becomes invulnerable as she turns into living paint and launches herself through the air. As Strix moves, she leaves behind a trail of paint on the ground that damages and coats enemies who touch it. If an enemy is struck by Strix’s dash, she turns them into paint and takes them along for the ride. After the dash expires or makes contact with terrian she explodes in a burst of paint sending any enemy caught in the blast flying away from her.

Messy: Strix coats herself in a protective layer of paint, providing damage reduction. Enemies who damage Strix will make globules of paint fly off of her and land on the ground. After a short delay, these puddles of paint bubble up and explode, inflicting damage and applying elemental status effects depending on paint color or mix type.

Still Life: Strix holds enemies in place that are in her line of sight and begins painting them. Creating living painted copies of her targets to aid her in battle. Damage dealt by these living paintings will be of the type of paint she has selected or mixed. These living paintings can also apply status effects with the damage they deal. If Strix splashes her living paintings with her Painterly ability, she can apply an additional layer of paint, increasing their health, damage, life span, and allowing them to apply additional status effects

Important Notes & Clarifications:

Paint Colors:

Energy color will only affect the sheen/shine on the paint, and not the paint color itself.
Cold = Blue
Electricity = Yellow
Heat = Red
Toxin = Green

Blast = Blue & Red (Purple)
Corrosive = Green & Yellow (Lime Green)
Gas = Green & Red (Brown)
Magnetic = Blue & Yellow (Dark Green)
Radiation = Red & Yellow (Orange)
Viral = Blue & Green (Cyan)

Passive:
Applying new unique paint will override the oldest paint.
2. You can not store the same color paint twice in a row.
3. What this passive does by empowering an ability is that it makes the damage and status effect of that ability the corresponding elemental type that she has stored.

Painterly:
The cone area of effect is affected by Range mods.
2. The damage and status chance is affected by Strength mods.
3. The status chance ideally would be 50/60/70/80, being increased to 100% with enough Strength at max rank.

•Streak:
Strix turns into a streaky globule of paint as she uses the ability. (a Longer, bigger version of the Bleeding body Ephemera globule)
2. If an enemy is coated, they are considered to be under the status effect of the paint type and will take damage from that elemental status effect, as well as the ability itself.
3. Enemies captured and blasted away with Streak, are also considered coated.
4. The distance Strix can travel using Streak is affected by Range mods.
5. The damage of Streak is affected by Strength mods.
6. The status chance effect for streak is static at 100% at all levels.

•Messy:
The duration of Messy will be 10/15/20/25 seconds and is affected by Duration mods.
2. The damage reduction will be 40/50/60/70, being caped out at 95% with enough Strength This damage reduction includes Health and Shields.
3. The distance that globules can land within is static at 10 meters, and unaffected by Range.
4. The explosion of the puddles however, is affected by Range mods.
5. Strix can run into her puddles to gain a small percentage of her energy back.

•Still Life:
The maximum number of living paintings is 3/4/5/6.
2. Living paintings have health and can be killed, however, their life is tied to duration, and when that duration ends, they all die.
3. Duration ideally would be 15/20/30/40 seconds and is not affected by duration mods.
4. You can refresh the duration of your living paintings by splashing them with Painterly.
5. Initial starting bonus health and Damage is affected by Strength mods.
6. Increased damage and health given by Painterly can be stacked up to 300% of their starting stats, included with bonus starting health and damage.
7. The living paintings created by Still life, perfectly match the level and stats of the selected enemy.

•Strix:
I see Strix as being the middle ground between damage and crowd control, however, considering her kit revolves solely around abilities and not weapon amplification. I believe that she needs to have high starting energy and a higher than most energy cap. However, on the flip side, her health, armor, and shields will be moderate to low in comparison to other frames. Messy will be absolutely needed at end game.

Last words
Thank you for reading, and my intention was to actualize the concept of the painting frame and create it while also leaving enough room for developers to adjust the numbers to their liking for the balance of the game.

Special thanks go to ScorpDK(here on warframe) for helping me out with the last ability, and giving me the inspiration to fully actualize it.

Edited by Tykennn
Fixed some minor placement issues. Changed passive to be more user friendly.
  • Like 1

i like the character idea but with all the element options and how technical it will be with all the tapping and what not to get the right combinations might be too technical with the current state of warframe and the passive might get annoying for some people not being able to store the same element multiple times.

however it seems fun 4 is like a colorful nekros, except maybe better, since you don't need to kill everything at first and could be incredibly useful late game.

3 idk if id do just damage reduction , id make it a mix of iron skin and rev's 2 or  nezha's 3, maybe like a flat duration of either stacks or damage reduction first then the paint hardens for the more iron skin type effect depending on how much damage she took while not leaving her completely immune at first but still getting a benefit afterwards.

2 is pretty cool seems like a mix of hydroid and zephyr/gauss when they either hit a wall or the ground.

1 id just simplify it and when you target an enemy for a tap it copies their main elemental weakness against them kinda like the simaris scanner attachment then maybe have that damage bonus apply to your painted clones after you tap a target then paint the clones.

its a good idea and im sure could be fully implemented later if we get some sort of "ability wheel" which we need since all the tapping type frames can get annoying at times and that overall is the downside to this character.

Edited by X_Bo
typo

13 minutes ago, X_Bo said:

i like the character idea but with all the element options and how technical it will be with all the tapping and what not to get the right combinations might be too technical with the current state of warframe and the passive might get annoying for some people not being able to store the same element multiple times.

however it seems fun 4 is like a colorful nekros, except maybe better, since you don't need to kill everything at first and could be incredibly useful late game.

3 idk if id do just damage reduction , id make it a mix of iron skin and rev's 2 or  nezha's 3, maybe like a flat duration of either stacks or damage reduction first then the paint hardens for the more iron skin type effect depending on how much damage she took while not leaving her completely immune at first but still getting a benefit afterwards.

2 is pretty cool seems like a mix of hydroid and zephyr/gauss when they either hit a wall or the ground.

1 id just simplify it and when you target an enemy for a tap it copies their main elemental weakness against them for damage when you swipe them kinda like a quick scan or something and maybe have that damage bonus apply to your painted clones after you tap a target then paint the clones.

its a good idea and im sure could be fully implemented later if we get some sort of "ability wheel" which we need since all the tapping type frames can get annoying at times and that overall is the downside to this character.

Hello, and thank you for replying! I'm going to try my best to answer some of your questions to the best of my ability.

The reason for not allowing two charges of the same paint type, is because the passive itself is about mixing paints for your other abilties to use, so this will allow you to spam your 1st without worrying about messing up your mix in case you don't want to use it right away.

I do think it will take some getting used to, however Ivara actually has something that allows her to switch between four different modes using her first ability, so I was basing Strix's 1st ability off of that. I think in time, people will understand the combos to get the desired effects. For example, to get corrosive all you need to do is this: Tap 1st once, then hold 1st down, tap 1st two more times, and then hold it down. So it would be tap>hold>tap>tap>hold, there is some rhythm to it.

For her 3, "Messy" I wanted to avoid making Strix too complex, and to avoid having too many things to keep track of. My idea was to line it up with Mesa's 3 but have her own spin on it. Strix is all about applying different status, so I believe having it this way allows her to maintain her unique identity.

I'm glad you like her 2! My goal was to give her some mobilty and guaranteed crowd control.

My main reason for having it be tap rotation is that I didn't want the frame to rely on outside sources for her abilities. The way it is right now, is a frontal cone splash of paint, so you could cover quite a few people with a single hit. And it should make it easier to maintain your living paintings even if you're focused on other things.

However you do bring up a very good point about tapping too much, I'm going to change her passive to make it so the stored paint doesn't fade after you empower an ability, that way you shouldn't have to tap as much while playing.