Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about Archwing level design.

inappropriatename5877

So. The dreaded Archwing. The destroyer of fun. The purveyor of wonky flights and bumpy rides. You see it for the first time and your poor poor brain thinks "Oh boy, can't wait to fly this baby out into space!!" And then you do. And you see for yourself the horrors unveil in front of your very eyes, one by one. The massive speed, the obstacles, the tight spaces, the useless minimap, the ever shifting momentum. You realize this train has no brakes. Literally, because there is no braking system in Archwings. Archwing has many flaws, but I would like to address the one that I think is the biggest one yet: The level design.
  Oh boy where to begin. Let's think about this for a moment: You are a so called "space ninja". You have great parkour skills -jumping, gliding, wall riding, rolling, bullet jumping- at your disposal. Movement options galore. Every environment is thoughtfully planned out to accomodate that freedom, to let you experience the game as you want, at your own pace. Why does the same not happen with archwing levels? Arhchwing in itself is a fast moving space flight system, supposedly designed for fast and accurate navigation in space, or in places with no gravity in general (or even underwater). Yet the level design is very flawed; claustrophobic corridors, tight turns, obstacles,all serve to hinder your progress through the level. They are supposed to provide a challenge, not annoy you. Those levels seem to have been designed for a warframe, not an archwing. The levels are so bad, the enemies get stuck as well 40% of the time (I know that's bad AI pathing, but you get my point). 
 Levels come in two main categories: Open space and Facility style environment, both of which have critical flaws that hinder gameplay.

• Open space levels allow for more freedom of movement, without that many obstacles or tight turns, but make finding enemies and aiming at them an annoyance at best. This is where the minimap argument comes into play: The minimap only shows you the general direction of an enemy,not even the approximate position relative to yours. Meaning that if you want to aim at an enemy that is at like 3 o'clock according to the minimap, you will have to search up and down as well to find them. Most enemies are constantly moving, making it harder for you to find them ( granted, the updated markers make finding enemies easier,but it's still not enough ). The minimap should be updated for archwing missions, so that it shows if an enemy is above or below you, maybe with chromatic code or something. Having a 2D minimap with that little information on a 3D plane is bad design in my opinion.
  • Facility environments: This is where the bad movement of the archwing really shines. While finding and aiming at enemies is much easier here due to the limited verticality, navigation is more often than not a nightmare. You are given a lot of speed, with no means to stop in time, you have momentum physics that don't make sense, you have tight turns and small corridors that make you bump into things, especially when there is momentum involved. Sometimes it feels like you are a pinball, at the mercy of the environment, unless you take it slow and methodical. This brings up another point though: Warframe is designed around grinding, at least up to a point. Which effectively means you will do the same missions over and over again. Which means that you want to get done with those missions asap. How do you get done with those missions asap? By completing them fast. That includes traversing the terrain, and killing enemies. Killing enemies is no big deal no matter the levels, as archguns are pretty strong. Traversing the terrain though is a pain because of the level design. Being slow and steady in a game about being fast and efficient is counter intuitive at best.

This post does not necessarily aim at remaking levels, but getting DE to notice some glaring issues about the current levels, so as not to repeat them in the upcoming update. If you guys have anything to add, feel free to discuss it.

Archwing is meant to get a overhaul for Empyrean. Yet they haven't announced anything specific other than the modular version and all wings getting blink. I'd like to see what else they have planned for the update before rehashing the same things everyone else has been saying for years.

This is less a problem with the levels but the controls, for some reason turning the opposite direction than you want to go is tighter and more efficient, since "turning" is more like drifting lightly in that direction despite appearing to fly in that direction, and once you stop "turning" you get flung MUCH faster in the opposite direction despite flying straight ahead. This has flung me into more map geometry than it should have.