Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

POLL: Kill OR Save The Lotus (Community Opinion)

VotumPrime

We all care about Rebecca but the Lotus as a character is something I personally haven't really grown attached to at all in these past 6 years and it's the same with many others. I'm going to quote what @HugintheCrow said on this:

"It's clear that DE wants us to be bonded with Lotus and the story is going in that way.

I'm one of the people who aren't, however, and that's for a simple reason: writing. Something that I believe DE is bad at.

The best-made bonds with fictional characters come naturally, without the writer shoving things onto the reader.

DE has been shoving Lotus-spacemom thing since they came up with the idea that Lotus is going to be an important character, and not just a voice that gives missions.

Hence, I give no Heks about her, because all I think about Lotus is what I know about her from when I first met her, in 2014. And she was NOT a space mom back then (outside of Rebecca memes of course).

If you listen to the early (and I mean some of the first) voicelines of Lotus, it's obvious she's way colder, serious and cult-leader-like persona that buys Tenno services, because we were supposed to be mercs at the beginning (and it shows).

Vor is supposed to be killed not because he's evil and he hurt us, but because Lotus worships the Orokin and Vor is suspected (not even confirmed, talk about religious zeal) to have Orokin tech, and that's blasphemy apparently.

tl;dr: I get what plot DE is trying to go for, but the keyword is "trying". Any sort of drama and feelings that Warframe's story tries to convey are lost on me, because I can't get over DE's failed attempt at making a story form the middle, instead of fixing the beginning and redoing all material before the plot-switch*.

*No, I don't believe that Tenno kids wer planned from the get go, too much inconsistent lore points to them being thrown in with no thought about consequences.

Now, you might ask, am I gonna kill lotus?

I don't know, I only choose the middle options, every time, in every quest, and I don't know what the middle option will be in the New War."

And this is what those who want to save her say:

unknown.png

But I am not satisfied. I must know for sure whether you guys care about the Lotus and whether or not you want to save her or kill her.

This is why I need your help. I made a poll. Please help me spread it around to your clans and alliances and your circle of friends on discord so we can get their votes and find out for sure how the entire playerbase really feels about the Lotus: https://strawpoll.com/xpegd65s

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

It's time to conclude this thread.

Edited by VotumPrime
  • Like 1

Your poll is hot Kubrow poop. The only way I can say I want to save the Lotus is "Save her cause that will make things easier for the writers", not because I care about the character. If you're actually looking for the community's opinion, don't paint over it with your own before you even hear from anyone.

• Like 4

Also in the camp of "I'd rather let her die".

The Lotus as a character is just a relic from the early days and is just not interesting. While there will be those that like the character (and some to an almost unhealthy degree), the character feels to be holding back Warframe's "story". Things could end up being far more interesting by ending that character and moving forward.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

Your poll is hot Kubrow poop. The only way I can say I want to save the Lotus is "Save her cause that will make things easier for the writers", not because I care about the character. If you're actually looking for the community's opinion, don't paint over it with your own before you even hear from anyone.

You're right. I am a bit biased. But please vote anyways and vote yes if that's what you wish to see.

Edited by VotumPrime

On the subject of what will happen, the community's say in it won't matter.

It doesn't make sense from a development standpoint to kill her, just because it would be more difficult. Lines would have to be re-recorded, there would be a huge discrepancy between old and new players, and I doubt DE wants to bother dealing with that. Their whole "vote on what will happen" is just the illusion of choice, much like the chance of relays being destroyed by a razorback or fomorian.

Story-wise, they'll just have you "kill" the Sentient part of the Lotus, thus "restoring" her to being "good". Then we'll just return to the status quo and nothing will have really changed.

the personal interaction with the tenno was always minimal so it was mostly someone giving orders and being a face on the UI. also there is the argument that she basically betrayed the tenno after reviving them so i can see why people want her dead.

1 minute ago, VotumPrime said:

You're right. I am a bit biased. But please vote anyways and yes if that's what you wish to see.

I would like to see the Lotus saved, but not because of "convenience for the writers". I will ignore your biased poll, and I expect others will too so that you aren't putting your words in their mouths. Just make a simple "save/kill/idc/other" poll if you actually want a sample of the community's opinion.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb SenorClipClop:

I would like to see the Lotus saved, but not because of "convenience for the writers". I will ignore your biased poll, and I expect others will too so that you aren't putting your words in their mouths. Just make a simple "save/kill/idc/other" poll if you actually want a sample of the community's opinion.

ya, that poll screams "BIASED!"...why would anyone seriously participate like this ?

• Like 1

The whole "Space mom" thing stemmed from the community very early on. 

Personally I think there is opportunity for growth of the character to become something new and more interesting if we don't kill her but rather convince her to find her own path and stop following other characters' ideas of what she should be.

Edited by Katinka

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Lines would have to be re-recorded,

Darvo already has those lines recorded too.

there would be a huge discrepancy between old and new players,

What, like Lotus and Holo-Lotus, Salker and Shadow Stalker?

I doubt DE wants to bother dealing with that

They already are. Holo-lotus, Little duck, Orids, Teshin, they all can take over and have at some point.

Edited by Gabbynaru
  • Like 2

Just now, Gabbynaru said:

Darvo already has those lines recorded too.

What, like Lotus and Holo-Lotus?

They already are. Holo-lotus, Little duck, Orids, Teshin, they all can take over and have at some point.

"Holo-lotus" is just a filter.

It took little effort on DE's part and changed nothing.

Killing the character would require someone new to take their place as it would make no sense for the Lotus (even Ordis' version) to keep talking to the player.

I hate the Lotus, it should die just like the rest of her pyscho robot race. Teshin is Orokin Dax he should die. The Stalker and his edgy misfits are Orokin sympathizers, they should die.  

The only ones I care for are Ordan Karris, Steel Maridian; thier Allies and the Ostron. Everyone else can burn. 

Edited by (XB1)SixGunLove

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Not to mention the upcoming Cephalon Cy, who they've already recorded to be the voice companion for Empyrean. It's not like they'll be unprepared with a replacement if we no longer refer to the Lotus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

It took little effort on DE's part and changed nothing.

Killing the character would require someone new to take their place as it would make no sense for the Lotus (even Ordis' version) to keep talking to the player.

Yes we know that it's inevitable that we will *sigh* probably end up saving the Lotus.

But I just want to know what the community's opinion. That's all.

I would like an option, so everyone could decide for themselves.

This would mean some players would still have Lotus in the storyline, some wouldn't. (like there are canon differences between an mr 1 and an mr 27+ who completed all quests)

But i would kill her in my game just to annoy Mobius and others, lol.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

It took little effort on DE's part and changed nothing

Yeah, hence why I edited the post and added Stalker and Shadow Stalker, who are a much more significant change. New players still deal with old Stalker, until Second Dream. It's a "huge discrepancy" that already exists, so it's not out of question for some people to have Lotus and for others not to. And for those who didn't save the lotus? Big deal, Ordis can keep on his spiel without using Holo-Lotus. At the end of the day, Holo-Lotus IS Ordis, nothing more.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Yeah, hence why I edited the post and added Stalker and Shadow Stalker, who are a much more significant change. New players still deal with old Stalker, until Second Dream. It's a "huge discrepancy" that already exists, so it's not out of question for some people to have Lotus and for others not to. And for those who didn't save the lotus? Big deal, Ordis can keep on his spiel without using Holo-Lotus. At the end of the day, Holo-Lotus IS Ordis, nothing more.

Stalker / Shadow Stalker also are little effort.

The Lotus has lines that spread throughout the majority of the game, it is that time to re-record all of those lines that make it unlikely to happen, and also anything that can reference the Lotus outside of story-quests.

You need to look at it from a development standpoint, not from a story one.

Holo-Lotus was a cheap way to not have to re-record lines (since already it's pushing things with the way it was handled). It would have made more sense to have Ordis (even if I personally find that character's default-form to be annoying) to inform the player in all the places the Lotus would do so currently, but instead DE went with the quick/easy way and just slapped a filter to apply to the recordings.

Edited by Sean

Not a Lotus fan...Never have been.

Her motives have been suspect from day one because she has been an instigator from day one.

I don't know that I dislike her enough to need her dead but I definitely don't want her leading me around by the nose.

My only lingering issue with the writing so far regards the fact that the operator is never given the option of viewing her as anything other than "space mom". 

I'd vastly prefer that either the Tenno be viewed as a separate faction and she be viewed as another prospective client or Players be allowed to align with whatever faction they wish.

Want to put the restraining bolt back on and be Vor's pet or go crawling back to Lotus?...Do it.

Become an Acolyte? Yup

Grineer, Corpus, various Syndicate member? Check

I'd vastly prefer seeing the story open up and branch completely and individually in regard to character progression now that all facts are on the table as opposed to remaining on these narrative rails.

• Like 1

I feel this poll and the original post are trying to manipulate what I think. The poll even adds reasons for why I should hold a position.

For example " Yes. Save her cause that will make things easier for the writers." But that's not why I would answer yes.

But " Nope. More interesting to let her die. Not attached to her as a character anyways." and "Don't really care. Not really attached to or bonded with the Lotus anyways." which also have less negative connotations attached as their positions... those written into the original post.

Let me be clear... Don't write your reasons into poll options please. And don't start with an educational rant that precedes the poll! I won't vote.

Edited by nslay
  • Like 4