Jump to content
Senguash

Gauss sucks, let me elaborate.

Recommended Posts

I want start off by saying that Gauss is visually and thematically very well done, that's not what this is about.

I believe Gauss is a bad frame.

So what does that actually mean? Ideally every frame is supposed to occupy some number of niches and be ideal in at least one of them. An example of this is chroma, he's pretty tanky and he has the highest percentage damage buff in the game for things that you can't put sonar spots on.
When a frame is bad it means it's not the king of any of the niches it occupies, so that no matter what you intend to use the frame for, you could've picked something better.

It's important to always keep in mind that arguments like "this ability is good because it makes you go faster than normal sprint speed"  doesn't hold up, because the strength of a warframe is always relative to the rest of the field. No warframe exists in vacuum and should always be measured against the competition.

That said, there's some frames that are good not because they're the king of any one niche, but because they're overall strong in enough of them that they make sense as a jack of all trades type situation.
Excal isn't the tankiest frame in the game, he doesn't have the best cc, he doesn't have the most exalted weapon damage, he doesn't have the best AoE ability damage, but he becomes a solid choice by being above average in a lot of disciplines.
There's some old frames that are bad, but it's alright because they've been outclassed by frames that were released after them, and are eventually due for a rework. That's a temporary state.

However, Gauss is bad, on release.

Volt used to have a high FoV change on his speed, but that was removed since it made players nauseous. So now volt speed just makes you fast with little to no effects.

Gauss however, has a bunch of effects on his one, but he's much slower. The dash you get from tapping one is really short, and you're heaviliy subjected to gravity so it's not something you can use to dash in air. Spam tabbing one to make of for the short distance is very clunky, but still faster than using the holding mechanic. This ability is not good enough to make Gauss as fast as volt, nova or wukong.

Remove the holding mechanic, make the dash at least 3x longer while taking the same amount of time as it does now, and you'll have an ability that's more unique, rather just a worse version of volt speed with extra effects.

Then there's redline. The strongest component of it is arguably the attack speed. It has 8%-45%*abilityduration. Volt speed has 50%*abilitystrength.
Redline also has reload speed, holster speed and firerate. This is good, but it ultimately doesn't contest the damage buff from frames like octavia, rhino, chroma, mirage, and arguably also volt with shock trooper.

And that's the problem.
Gauss mobility tool is outclassed and his steroid is outclassed.

So why haven't I mentioned his 2 and 3 at all?
Kinetic plating and thermal sunder are pretty good tools for defense and cc, and they have some fairly solid utility on top.
Stagger and knockdown prevention is very useful, and immunity to certain damage types while probably not that fun to play with is probably very strong.

But neither of these abilities are potentially enough of a reason on their own for picking Gauss.
You're not gonna take gauss into a long arbitration run because of kinetic plating, you'll be killed by a stray toxin proc.
You're not gonna take gauss as dps with thermal sunder. Do I even have to say how many better options there are?

Gauss is meant to be chosen situationally as a speedframe whenever his unique offensive and defensive capabilities make him better than volt or nova.

But when both his speed and offensive capabilties are lackluster that will never happen.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Woah 2
  • Applause 4
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Senguash said:

Ideally every frame is supposed to occupy some number of niches and be ideal in at least one of them

What about running on water? That is a niche, and Gauss is the best at that. I do think expecting every single frame to have one area where it is the best choice is optimistic. We have too much variety in frames, and not enough in content for this to be indefinitely viable.

 

I do agree that Gauss doesn’t really seem to have much use. But sometimes just having an alternative to a frame is sufficient for many people.

9 minutes ago, Senguash said:

Remove the holding mechanic, make the dash at least 3x longer while taking the same amount of time as it does now, and you'll have an ability that's more unique

This will make the ability less unique. Tapping is a way to quickly boost the battery. Holding is a way to run indefinitely. Both have their place. Just because Volt “does it better” doesn’t mean there is a problem.

  • Like 5
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... I'm going to get Gauss on purpose just to test if all of these "bad things" actually hold true...

  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gauss's Niche is that he's kind of a JOAT frame with an emphasis on mobility. Just like Excal is a JOAT with an emphasis on offense and Rhino is for defence. They have a little of everything with a leaning towards supporting a certain playstyle.

Gauss's schtick is that he keeps moving - all the time. That's why his base sprint speed is so high and why he has the charge mechanic. Just because he's not the fastest doesn't mean he's not the 'fast' frame. Taking Volt, yes Volt can move at similar speeds with far more control, but he's not a frame with an emphasis on movement. 50% of his powers encourage standing still. I would describe him as a JOAT of active support - not necessarily as a buffer, but as a deployer of cover and CC to enable more combat, and his speed could be said to act as another support, and as an enabler for him to get where he's needed to provide. That's why his speed needs so much more upkeep than Gauss, who's just passively pretty fast - Gauss doesn't need energy to sprint really fast, he only needs it if he wants to make a quick straightaway or open-world long distance run.

So, yes, Gauss does occupy a niche. You take him because you want to play in a very active, mobile manner where using your movement is rewarded.

 

Also, don't just think of Mach Rush as a mobility tool - it's also one of his primary CC and approach options. It's a combat tool as well.

  • Woah 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gauss does suck. There's no need to elaborate. 

Although my reason is different. Essentially Gauss has only his 4. Playing around his shield is actually a waste of effort. Making a survival build and only augmenting his base stats through his last ability is more efficient, but also much less fun. On the other hand, if you make the effort of utilizing his whole kit, your performance will vary and you will have moments where your survivability is low.

I am actually saying that Gauss is not fun to play, not that he can't be efficient at killing. Volt, in comparison, as much as everybody keep talking about 300% strength, is much better served by spreading his stats and using all of his kit, which at the same time makes him stronger and more versatile, as well as more fun. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, he is a big disappointment. His battery drains way too fast which doesnt make him tanky at all (20% at lowest.. LOL). I've tried to use my melee weapon for more damage reduction to get energy back and then keep the energy up but it's simply way too much work for a frame that has next to no utility compared to other Warframes. 

His CC is nice but the range is ridiculously low since you need to build for duration. The damage of his 3 is terrible though.

Redline is an extremely uninspired ability (which I don't mind that much) that actually punishes you for using it because holding the battery level above 100% is virtually impossible unless you want to spam your 3 or 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counter point. A good frame should be able to perform at the normal content of the game while also having a variety of niche uses. Just being a bundle of niches doesn’t make you a good frame, it makes you qualified for a rework. Should point out that Chromas niche as Eidolon and Profit Taker Hunter is an exception as at least one of those are a high demand activity that sees a lot of play.

For example. Revenant has the niche of having the longest setup for a 1 shot out of all other 1 shot frames, and 100% DR that’s tied to one of the worst mechanics for a tank ability in this kind of game. Those are niches that don’t really give anything of value unless you’re some endurance runner looking for bragging rights. And Endurance runs have no real practical benefit in the game. The rest of him is heavily outclassed by other frames making him one of the worst frames currently in the game.

Gauss can perform in normal content and the insane buff he gives to DPS actually makes him really good at disruption. He has very good tanking capabilities and very high speed mobility.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Senguash said:

 

However, Gauss is bad, on release.

Volt used to have a high FoV change on his speed, but that was removed since it made players nauseous. So now volt speed just makes you fast with little to no effects.

Gauss however, has a bunch of effects on his one, but he's much slower. The dash you get from tapping one is really short, and you're heaviliy subjected to gravity so it's not something you can use to dash in air. Spam tabbing one to make of for the short distance is very clunky, but still faster than using the holding mechanic. This ability is not good enough to make Gauss as fast as volt, nova or wukong.

Remove the holding mechanic, make the dash at least 3x longer while taking the same amount of time as it does now, and you'll have an ability that's more unique, rather just a worse version of volt speed with extra effects.

The argument of speed is difficult to argue because speed is more complex than "fast."  If we're simply talking about who covers the most ground from point A to point B then it's zephyr that's the fastest and always has been.  Then titania with her augment.  Then saryn with molt's speed boost when specced for it.  Gauss travels from point A to point B faster than volt does even with max strength.  Granted it's only by a few seconds.  but still.  Volt has more control over his speed for sure.  But you can actually do quite a bit with mach rush once you learn how to pair it with jumps and aim glides.  Removing the hold mechanic would actually kill this.  So i can't say i'm in favor.  Nor can I agree that it's worse than volt's speed buff.

5 hours ago, Senguash said:

Then there's redline. The strongest component of it is arguably the attack speed. It has 8%-45%*abilityduration. Volt speed has 50%*abilitystrength.
Redline also has reload speed, holster speed and firerate. This is good, but it ultimately doesn't contest the damage buff from frames like octavia, rhino, chroma, mirage, and arguably also volt with shock trooper.

High duration build for Gauss (which is the optimal way to build him for non standard missions) has a higher DPS output than wisps buffs.  And hers are strong as heck.  And because his buff gives him reload speed on top of holster speed you can use vigarous swap with him rather well.  Pairing that with something like Arcane rage and you 100% make up for the fact of having no built in damage buff ability.  This allows Gauss to essentially speed farm tridilons and profit taker very easily.  Obviously you'd bring octavia, rhino, mirage, and even volt over Gauss just because they bring team benefits either in damage or survival.  but you severely underestimate how bat S#&$ crazy DPS Gauss's capabilities.

5 hours ago, Senguash said:

And that's the problem.
Gauss mobility tool is outclassed and his steroid is outclassed.

Gauss has some problems.  What you're stating isn't one.

5 hours ago, Senguash said:

So why haven't I mentioned his 2 and 3 at all?
Kinetic plating and thermal sunder are pretty good tools for defense and cc, and they have some fairly solid utility on top.
Stagger and knockdown prevention is very useful, and immunity to certain damage types while probably not that fun to play with is probably very strong.

But neither of these abilities are potentially enough of a reason on their own for picking Gauss.
You're not gonna take gauss into a long arbitration run because of kinetic plating, you'll be killed by a stray toxin proc.
You're not gonna take gauss as dps with thermal sunder. Do I even have to say how many better options there are?

I wouldn't take Gauss in arbitration's because cc is one of his main methods of surviving and drones prevent cc from effecting enemies.  However I can absolutely take Gauss to be a quick nuker for missions I need to complete fast in the star chart such as exterms or captures because going with a a range and power strength setup does let him nuke the start chart rather easily but with much higher speed due to mach rush and his fire not caring about LoS or objects.

5 hours ago, Senguash said:

Gauss is meant to be chosen situationally as a speedframe whenever his unique offensive and defensive capabilities make him better than volt or nova.

But when both his speed and offensive capabilties are lackluster that will never happen.

I think your understanding of Gauss and his toolkit's applications are lacking.  Most notably for me being the fact that you haven't figured out how to use parkour 2.0 with Mach rush effectively.  And that you kept making the comparison to volt when they're never meant to be compared.  Volt's role in the meta is a shield bot.  His movement boost is pretty irrelevant to his pick.  It does help you move around the open worlds faster.  But operator void dashes top that and it's not even a contest.  Gauss is capable of soloing these world bosses rather easy just like several other frames so it's not his capability that's lacking.

It's that the only thing he brings to a team is cc.  And there are far better frames for cc.  I don't personally think a low presence in team picks is a sign of a bad frame simply because we really havent needed to team up for content in actual years.  We've been quite capable of self sustain ever since operators have existed and the continual add of things that allow us to support ourselves/cover multiple rolls enforces this.  I mean even casters can ignore needing someone to help them tank purely because rolling guard exists.  We don't need stealth frames because operator void mode.  And operator heals us too.  etc.

Gauss has some questionable decisions in how his 3 works.  And his effort to power ratio is a little tilted due to needing to be above redline for your boosted abilities to happen and the drain of his battery needing you to put out more upkeep than is worth it.  But even then I wouldn't say he's bad or seriously flawed.

  • Like 1
  • Woah 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Counter point. A good frame should be able to perform at the normal content of the game while also having a variety of niche uses. Just being a bundle of niches doesn’t make you a good frame, it makes you qualified for a rework. Should point out that Chromas niche as Eidolon and Profit Taker Hunter is an exception as at least one of those are a high demand activity that sees a lot of play.

Every frame does fine in normal content. That doesn't excuse kits such as Vauban, Atlas, Baruuk, Nyx, Titania and more from exemption of being outclassed and lackluster. Niches are cool and all, and they give you a "wow" factor. Gauss is very good at giving this wow factor because he is above average in the speed department, and he encourages you to run into walls and such. Other Warframes are much faster than Gauss, but are more frustrating to use if you are below-average at maneuvering. OP stated at the very beginning:

7 hours ago, Senguash said:

[...] Gauss is visually and thematically very well done, that's not what this is about. [...]

I agree with the sentiment that his theme, visuals, and overall aesthetic is amazing, but his kit is uninteresting to me. However, I disagree that he is bad for the majority. I think he is perfect for the majority and only bad for the speed enthusiasts who take Volt, Nova, or Wukong (Cloud Walker hyper-speed is quite extreme as a niche but it does the job well) for maximum speed.

4 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

For example. Revenant has the niche of having the longest setup for a 1 shot out of all other 1 shot frames, and 100% DR that’s tied to one of the worst mechanics for a tank ability in this kind of game. Those are niches that don’t really give anything of value unless you’re some endurance runner looking for bragging rights. And Endurance runs have no real practical benefit in the game. The rest of him is heavily outclassed by other frames making him one of the worst frames currently in the game.

Practical benefit is a perspective and opinion. Some players enjoy running Fissures all day at level 20-40, and some players enjoy huge damage numbers or staying long periods of time. I am no fan of Revenant, but he has a use, it just doesn't fit your playstyle. If your playstyle is to be the fastest in the lobby, choosing Gauss is not the choice to go for though.

4 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Gauss can perform in normal content and the insane buff he gives to DPS actually makes him really good at disruption. He has very good tanking capabilities and very high speed mobility.

Normal content allows any Warframe. Your point about Disruption does not matter much considering you can bring Inaros, no buffs, and do fine for quite a long time in Disruption given weapon power and proper gear modding. Gauss has a decent tank capability like Nezha, Mesa, etc. Nothing exciting, but definitely not bad. His speed buff is not awful, but again, it makes him sub-optimal as a speed frame choice unless your ability to parkour at speeds faster than Gauss is not great. At which point Gauss is right in the spot where you can control him and move quicker. You can reach a speed much greater than Gauss, but that point requires more precision. Countless threads requesting an opt-out or way to disable Volt's Speed buff is a clear indicator of why Gauss is well-received.

Edited by Voltage
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you hold 1 for 3 seconds, you can let go and he will keep running. Just shiws you got no idea what you're talking about

You obviously dont have a clue how to build any frame including Gauss. He's great and fun to play and all your elaborates are based on your own assumptions and not facts. 

Edited by Pohani_Herkules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree and i'll even go further and say even the things that connects his kit together isn't very well thought out in my opinion. Every warframe doesn't have to be the king of its own specific niche so long as it's capable of doing whatever it does differently enough to warrant using it over another of whatever generalist of specialist playstyle it has. Think valkyr vs inaros in the ability to melee tank with minimal ability usage.

Gauss doesn't feel like that as he feels like a jack of all trades but doesn't really have any spin on it, just raw numbers and a different set of general abilites. The reason I say that is because I don't think he has any really interesting synergies that might make any individual ability work better as a part of his kit. One example of this done right is garuda's bloodletting. It's more or less just rage but with a cast time however the fact it grants a % of your maximum energy and halves your HP, it allows you to use increased energy as a better form of efficiency, compounding hard with both max enrgy and efficiency, and allows you to utilize her passive damage bonus for quick hits of massive status damage or capitalizing on allies damage buffs harder. All from 1 ability which converts half your max HP to energy and nothing more. 

His 3 is just a mini avalanche that's clunkier when in redline since you have to cast twice for blast and a potentially cold version of fireblast without it. It's effective reguardless of the damage, but that's kind of it. It's also the only ability that is worth scaling range up for from what I've gathered since his 4 does bad damage and his wall contact explosion is as situational as you can get while also not being that strong even with the slash procs.

His 2 is a strong DR but that's basically it outside of the energy return which seems crazy undertuned. Gara has the damage aura, valkyr has a slow, rhino has the fact he isn't the one taking damage requiring special considerations, nezha is capable of proccing on hit effects and being immune to melee attackers basically, inaros has the heal for him and his team. If the energy conversion actually worked and was decent, I'd be a little more interested but considering how you're goal is to keep your gague up which leads to you getting hit significantly less, it feels a somewhat counter intuitive.

His 4 is powerful again, I don't think anyone can hit as high of a fire rate boost as he can but that's kind of all it is in itself. It does buff his other powers but they just become either stronger or slightly less clunky versions of what they are which goes back to the problem of, what he does isn't inherently weak but it's all just a bit too standard. 

His 1 is the most unique and interesting aspect of his kit that just doesn't play with anything and that's where I talk about why I feel the mach gague is a just bad. It's a forced resource mechanic that is really easy to keep up properly and at best makes abilities do what they should be doing to begin with. It rewards effort with something many frames get as their base which is the most important thing to get right with a resource based or ability intensive frame. Nidus gets massive ability damage, the capability of not dying, and gets to use his abilities like mad if you can keep your stacks up. His skills scale crazy high with time but you can get them up even faster with effort. Garuda goes from a standard warframe where you see 300 armor and know basically what you're getting to a warframe who can act as a mobile bomb shelter with effort. 

It doesn't feel like it truly rewards you for watching it and the way I see it, it's the only part of his kit that encourages speed. If you didn't have this gauge, what incentive would you have to be mobile with his abilities? Personally I'd have none because none of his abilities outside of mach rush inherently have anything that emphasize his speed to me. 

Some ideas I'd personally have to improving this is to make kinetic plating tied in with his passive. Making it somewhat weaker and apply to all damage types (I get his theme is about energy, but it kind of just makes it arbitrarily useless in places) and maybe not drain your mach gauge when hit but also make it so whatever his new 2 would be drains gauge. Afterall, it's mostly a saftey net at best so does it truly need to be 80%-100% DR? Thermal sunder should be a toggle aura. Hold to active and deactivate and simply tap to change, starts off as cold. This way you can utilize your speed to dash back and forth across the battlefield and chill/burn/freeze/bast enemies as you see fit. 

I don't know what else you'd do but those are just a couple random ideas I had personally. I'm no expert but for me personally, it'd at least try and incentiveize going fast other than having the fear your abilities will just get weaker and not becomes they become inherently less useful when stationary.

Edited by Annnoth
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Gauss. Then i went back to harrow again and i was reminded, why does Gauss exist again?

1 hour ago, Pohani_Herkules said:

If you hold 1 for 3 seconds, you can let go and he will keep running. Just shiws you got no idea what you're talking about

You obviously dont have a clue how to build any frame including Gauss. He's great and fun to play and all your elaborates are based on your own assumptions and not facts. 

You build Gauss by selecting Harrow. Operator Void Dash covers the speed. Penance covers the speed buffs without the tedium of having to charge and keep up your battery and well covenant...keeps you invincible when needed. And yeah, free energy for everyone after each kill.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... I'm going to get Gauss on purpose just to test if all of these "bad things" actually hold true...

I have him. Can confirm. Bunch of other issues regarding sustaining his speed gauge. The effectiveness of his kinetic plating and redline revolve around a high boost gauge, but both of those abilities simultaneously drain it. Don’t even get me started on the ‘armor strip’ he’s capable of. For one, you have to be in redline to do that. Second, it costs 2 uses of thermal sunder to remove a tiny bit of armor. I could just shoot someone with corrosive for free.

 

All in all, Gauss is fun because of speed, but DE put too much effort into theme and not enough functionality. PAAAABLO! WE GOT ANOTHER FRAME FOR YA TO FIX!

  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MrTitan123 said:

Bunch of other issues regarding sustaining his speed gauge. The effectiveness of his kinetic plating and redline revolve around a high boost gauge, but both of those abilities simultaneously drain it.

This is actually good design. Gauss rewards the player for actively playing and properly managing resources.

The standard for this game - being able to access abilities that enable near unlimited tankiness (or other powers) without consequences or restrictions - is the actual bad design as it basically rewards lack of engagement with the systems.

Gauss is actually designed for playing the game and is being criticised for it.

  • Satisfied 1
  • Woah 1
  • Applause 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

I played Gauss. Then i went back to harrow again and i was reminded, why does Gauss exist again?

You build Gauss by selecting Harrow. Operator Void Dash covers the speed. Penance covers the speed buffs without the tedium of having to charge and keep up your battery and well covenant...keeps you invincible when needed. And yeah, free energy for everyone after each kill.

I have the same thought as well, though I am still enjoying Gauss for his overall look and theme. But yeah, the big DPS thing that Gauss's ult does is boost attack speed, reload and fire rate. Harrow's Penance and Wisp's Haste emote already do those things, but with added team utility like heals and sharing those boosts with the team.

Redline needs more so it isn't just straight less than those two abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Gauss is actually designed for playing the game and is being criticised for it.

... right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

This is actually good design. Gauss rewards the player for actively playing and properly managing resources.

The standard for this game - being able to access abilities that enable near unlimited tankiness (or other powers) without consequences or restrictions - is the actual bad design as it basically rewards lack of engagement with the systems.

Gauss is actually designed for playing the game and is being criticised for it.

While I appreciate your opinion, I’m going to have to refute that. Gauss’ abilities do require active play, but the reward for such is less than you put in. Take kinetic plating for example. To make use of the ability and gain energy, you need to take damage. To take damage, you need to stand still and get hit. If you stand still, your boost goes down while the ability is active. If the boost goes down, you lose damage resist. If you lose damage resist, you die.

 

As for redline, No. Just no. It’s not worth trying to use it. The attack speed buff is insignificant at worst and outclassed at best. Hell, the maximum reload bonus is 48% on an average build. That’s just the Quickdraw mod. It’s literally just putting on Quickdraw. 

 

Let’s talk about the cost of these abilities. They have a DUAL COST. They both have an energy drain, AND a constant drain on the boost meter unaffected by mods or efficiency. If you’re going to spend resources to use buffs or passive things, don’t you think you should be able to keep them up or sustain them? Well guess what, Redline resets the buffs upon the ability duration expiring. Guess I need to start it back up again and run around like a maniac instead of helping my team with someone who could do Gauss’ job infinitely better.

 

Look, the point here is that Gauss is fun, but ultimately doesn’t have a clear position on a team when there are clearly better options that are much more fun.

Edited by MrTitan123
Typo
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

This is actually good design. Gauss rewards the player for actively playing and properly managing resources.

The standard for this game - being able to access abilities that enable near unlimited tankiness (or other powers) without consequences or restrictions - is the actual bad design as it basically rewards lack of engagement with the systems.

Gauss is actually designed for playing the game and is being criticised for it.

this right here. could not agree more.

  • Woah 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brucely said:

I have the same thought as well, though I am still enjoying Gauss for his overall look and theme. But yeah, the big DPS thing that Gauss's ult does is boost attack speed, reload and fire rate. Harrow's Penance and Wisp's Haste emote already do those things, but with added team utility like heals and sharing those boosts with the team.

Redline needs more so it isn't just straight less than those two abilities.

Except Gauss provides probably the biggest increase to fire rate, attack speed, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Except Gauss provides probably the biggest increase to fire rate, attack speed, etc.

Maybe it does, even with modding, but at some point boosting that stuff gets into marginal differences or diminishing returns. And still, keeping the buffs to only that makes the ability too one-dimensional, which really is the greater sin in my view, especially when it comes to ultimates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As demonstrated by Brozime in his video, Redline can boost the fire rate of good weapons such as the Vaykor Hek to insanity, but just as OP said, it is indeed inferior to straight up damage buff, not to mention you have to click click click. Maybe let Redline turn semi-auto weapons into full-auto for a short while will fix it? 

You can only click so fast and after certain point, the boost doesn’t matter anymore. 

Edited by Laudator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the little time I played with him I can say I mostly agree with this.The most fun I have with him is when I get my redline at 100% for the buffs and in my experience to keep it up at all times is a bother.I use my op for survavability mostly (elevate/lockdown) if enemies get above level 60 because I can't depend on the 2 for survavability because it drains faaaaaaaaaast. He has great potential but dashing all the time to keep my meter up to be able to shoot a couple of enemies and than again the same thing because it begins to drain so quick. it's more annoying than fun. He has potential, he looks like a mini gundam, his kit is great... the way it works tho is not usable for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are crying that running and gunning is too weak compared to frames using skills.
DE makes Chroma and Gauss to buff run and gun playstyle and still people complain. -_-

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrTitan123 said:

While I appreciate your opinion, I’m going to have to refute that. Gauss’ abilities do require active play, but the reward for such is less than you put in. Take kinetic plating for example. To make use of the ability and gain energy, you need to take damage. To take damage, you need to stand still and get hit. If you stand still, your boost goes down while the ability is active. If the boost goes down, you lose damage resist. If you lose damage resist, you die.

 

As for redline, No. Just no. It’s not worth trying to use it. The attack speed buff is insignificant at worst and outclassed at best. Hell, the maximum reload bonus is 48% on an average build. That’s just the Quickdraw mod. It’s literally just putting on Quickdraw. 

 

Let’s talk about the cost of these abilities. They have a DUAL COST. They both have an energy drain, AND a constant drain on the boost meter unaffected by mods or efficiency. If you’re going to spend resources to use buffs or passive things, don’t you think you should be able to keep them up or sustain them? Well guess what, Redline resets the buffs upon the ability duration expiring. Guess I need to start it back up again and run around like a maniac instead of helping my team with someone who could do Gauss’ job infinitely better.

 

Look, the point here is that Gauss is fun, but ultimately doesn’t have a clear position on a team when there are clearly better options that are much more fun.

Kinetic Plating isn't meant to be your primary survivability tool. It's an add-on to the main survivability of Gauss's ability to CC targets he's near and approach them for combat in the same move. With the glut of other ways to actively charge up energy, including from killing enemies or Hunter Adrenaline, it's energy bonus, whilst not insignificant, is also far from your only means of re-upping yourself.

 

Redline? The Fire Rate buff is far and away the strongest in the game. At base, it provides up to 75% more, as opposed to Wisp and Harrow who provide 30% and 35% respectively which is a considerable DPS increase. The melee attack speed outclasses Harrow, Octavia, and Wisp's (which are all around 30%) and is only lower than Valkyr and Volt's at 50% (Gauss gets 40% at base). The Reload speed at base (50%) is massively outclassed by Harrow's 75%, but outstrip's Volt's and Chroma's at 17% and 35% respectively. Since Gauss's base buffs seem to be below what you're reporting as a modded value, I'd like to take the time to point out that they're drawn from his current battery level, and his battery size is affected by duration, so emphasising that in a build is more important. However, that's not all Redline does. Redline halves Mach Rush's cost, boosts his Melee damage by 100% when using Kinetic Plating (and staggers enemies on every hit) and buffs his Thermal Sunder. And, once you hit 100% redline, it entirely eliminates the dual cost - playing Gauss well gives you a small window where his main weakness is gone. It also eliminates the ending charge cost. Lastly, as a bit of mild icing, it also does a little bit of damage on top, which is quite low but I'm not exactly going to complain about it.

Edited by Loza03
Wrong Hunter mod.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...