Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible Next Shotgun Concept?

Liverslices

ok so we all know how rifles are getting very diverse. Sniper, semiauto, burst, auto, bow.... The list goes on.

But what about shotguns? Nada. We have one type, a cone of damage that drops off after a few meters. This is one HUGE reason why I have three different shotguns and I don't use any of them. They are just boring.

So I have a proposal. What about a new type of shotgun? My idea is a magnetic themed shotgun that has a high damage rate, armor ignore, terrible clip size, and terrible fire rate. Here is a drawing that my kindergarten teacher would be proud of:

1376978_371797399617252_774869728_n.jpg

So the idea here is that there are 4 parts to a round.

0- a regular shotgun blast made up of small bolts that armor ignore; Has tight spread; slow travel time like other bolt    weapons;

1- after bolts spread out they travel a short distance in a cloud; small amount of damage dropoff

2- bolts converge via magnets back into one point or a small group, making them hit one target 

3- bolts quickly loose speed and fall to the ground.

Now I know there are a lot of things that could go wrong with this idea, but the basic idea is a good one: a shotgun that fires slow moving bolts that converge after a short time on one target. bolts cannot be guided, only shot in a certain direction.

An example of using this gun is if you have an Ancient a short distance away from you. you fire a round and the bullets spread out like a normal shotgun would. then right before they hit the ancient they converge and most of the bolts hit him in the chest.

1378277_371799289617063_320525364_n.jpg

Be jealous of my artwork

I am open to any thoughts!! lemme know what you think!!

TL;DR

new shotgun. look at pictures you lazy jerk

Edited by Liverslices

That's not a bad idea at all. The devs are missing out on a lot of creative shotgun concepts. I'd like to see how a weapon similiar to yours would preform as I've never seen one like it in any other video game that I can remember.

Of course they're also missing the shotgun counterpart to the bolto and boltor, and this little beauty from an old video game would be cool too:

The projectiles are meant to travel forward if it wasn't for a glitch. It could create a literal wall of grenades if used right.

Hm... Since you mentioned bolts, I actually can imagine some kind of Energy shotgun clan tech with this technology. The reason why is because I think it will finally utilize the bullet travel time for an interesting purpose, while giving a great visual.

I use Dragon's Dogma Magick Archer's Sixfold Bolt as an example:

http://youtu.be/GdxGoyDLluI?t=1m23s

However, instead of being this slow and homing (homing would be bad), it will just spread and curl/spiral in the center, like in your concept, while traveling quite fast (faster than current energy clan tech), finally spreading out at the last "phase." With the bullet travel time, we can see the distance in which it spreads, and when it actually forms together for a tight hit (so we can plan out our shots more easily).

This new shotgun will:

- Finally bring a shotgun in clan techs

- Instead of bullet-type with spread-size/pellets number difference, it has other aspects about it to make it stand out

--- Possibly Physics Impact or Serrated Blade damage (shotguns are already effective against Infested so I don't know about the latter damage type)

As a general feedback, I think it will be good if a few of the pellets are always very near the center during its spread-out phase, so that there's less chance of missing some shots at medium-close range (travel time can throw us off sometimes, in all range).

EDIT: It won't be like Ash's since his shuriken seeks target (not like Nyx's but it still does).

Edited by Casardis

Hm... Since you mentioned bolts, I actually can imagine some kind of Energy shotgun clan tech with this technology. The reason why is because I think it will finally utilize the bullet travel time for an interesting purpose, while giving a great visual.

I use Dragon's Dogma Magick Archer's Sixfold Bolt as an example:

http://youtu.be/GdxGoyDLluI?t=1m23s

However, instead of being this slow and homing (homing would be bad), it will just spread and curl/spiral in the center, like in your concept, while traveling quite fast (faster than current energy clan tech), finally spreading out at the last "phase." With the bullet travel time, we can see the distance in which it spreads, and when it actually forms together for a tight hit (so we can plan out our shots more easily).

This new shotgun will:

- Finally bring a shotgun in clan techs

- Instead of bullet-type with spread-size/pellets number difference, it has other aspects about it to make it stand out

--- Possibly Physics Impact or Serrated Blade damage (shotguns are already effective against Infested so I don't know about the latter damage type)

As a general feedback, I think it will be good if a few of the pellets are always very near the center during its spread-out phase, so that there's less chance of missing some shots at medium-close range (travel time can throw us off sometimes, in all range).

EDIT: It won't be like Ash's since his shuriken seeks target (not like Nyx's but it still does).

the spread in the 2nd part of the phase of the flight path would be just like a regular shotgun. it will be a normal cloud and then the bullets gather back up to hit the target.

look...

*think...

DSC05015-1.JPG

im really a dog, no one gets how hard it is to draw with paws

An example of using this gun is if you have an Ancient a short distance away from you. you fire a round and the bullets spread out like a normal shotgun would. then right before they hit the ancient they converge and most of the bolts hit him in the chest.

Be jealous of my artwork

TL;DR

Imma jayluz 2 yur draweEnGZz!

But what's the point of converging the shrapnels once they spread out? 

SGs may fire tightly-packed shrapnels but converging them back after they are fired is ridiculous. No offense.

Be jealous of my artwork

TL;DR

Imma jayluz 2 yur draweEnGZz!

SGs may fire tightly-packed shrapnels but converging them back after they are fired is ridiculous. No offense.

Be jealous of my artwork

TL;DR

mma jayluz 2 yur draweEnGZz!

Posted Today, 05:33 AM

yeomanry, on 24 Sept 2013 - 9:32 PM, said:snapback.png

yeomanry, on 24 Sept 2013 - 9:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Liverslices, on 24 Sept 2013 - 7:44 PM, said:snapback.png

Be jealous of my artwork

TL;DR

Spoiler 

lol

well first off its to make shotguns more interesting. Think about this: a weapon like this could be used from farther away than normal shotguns, but not as far as rifles. But it could still be used up close since it starts out like a regular shotgun.

The armor piercing bolts are simply because we don't have a shotgun that does that yet

As OP said, it makes it more interesting and offers different possibilities in terms of playing with range and travel time. For example:

- To a certain extent, it will still have a fairly nice burst damage due to its initial shotgun-like spread (though its slow firing capacity will hurt the player when faced by many at the same time).

- At mid-long range, it has the ability to target a single unit so that all pellets will hit for full damage, great for quickly dispatching the stronger enemies (will help if it has innate stun like Hek and Sobek). Also, it will be awesomely powerful for Sonar.

By the way what's up with the triple posting of the same thing? There's an edit button for that you know.

What should the damage be for something like this? any thoughts?

That's a tricky part since it will deal armor-ignoring damage. Personally, I think it has to be quite powerful, but also have a ridiculous amount of pellets, more than any existing shotgun. That way:

- The damage is spread out more per pellets while still being decent

- The fact that it will be a slow-arse shotgun with terrible DPS will be compensated by its huge initial radius+pellets, therefore making it more decent when swarmed by enemies

- When all pellets come together at mid-range, it will deal insane damage, again compensating from the fact that it's super slow

However, this may be too powerful depending on how strong it is initially, especially since having more pellets means it will benefit even more from multishot (let's not forget it's armor-ignoring too). Therefore, I think that, if it's going to be very powerful with many pellets, the damage dropoff has to begin already during the closing phase, so that the concentrated damage is more balanced.

This will be a no-crit shotgun due to its possible power (if we follow my suggestion of course, since it's just one among many possibilities).

Edited by Casardis

As OP said, it makes it more interesting and offers different possibilities in terms of playing with range and travel time. For example:

- To a certain extent, it will still have a fairly nice burst damage due to its initial shotgun-like spread (though its slow firing capacity will hurt the player when faced by many at the same time).

- At mid-long range, it has the ability to target a single unit so that all pellets will hit for full damage, great for quickly dispatching the stronger enemies (will help if it has innate stun like Hek and Sobek). Also, it will be awesomely powerful for Sonar.

By the way what's up with the triple posting of the same thing? There's an edit button for that you know.

That's a tricky part since it will deal armor-ignoring damage. Personally, I think it has to be quite powerful, but also have a ridiculous amount of pellets, more than any existing shotgun. That way:

- The damage is spread out more per pellets while still being decent

- The fact that it will be a slow-arse shotgun with terrible DPS will be compensated by its huge initial radius+pellets, therefore making it more decent when swarmed by enemies

- When all pellets come together at mid-range, it will deal insane damage, again compensating from the fact that it's super slow

However, this may be too powerful depending on how strong it is initially, especially since having more pellets means it will benefit even more from multishot (let's not forget it's armor-ignoring too). Therefore, I think that, if it's going to be very powerful with many pellets, the damage dropoff has to begin already during the closing phase, so that the concentrated damage is more balanced.

This will be a no-crit shotgun due to its possible power (if we follow my suggestion of course, since it's just one among many possibilities).

I would say that less is better. Im not talking 2 or 3, I thinking 8ish. The no crit is a good idea, or make it really low like 2.5% just for grins. Another tough thing to think about is dropoff. Honestly I have no clue what to do with that... 

I would say that less is better. Im not talking 2 or 3, I thinking 8ish. The no crit is a good idea, or make it really low like 2.5% just for grins. Another tough thing to think about is dropoff. Honestly I have no clue what to do with that... 

Not sure if less will be better for this particular shotgun, especially at close range because of the low firing rate AND low clip. We also have no shotguns that actually has a super spread (in this case, it's only at the first phase), so adding to that could give particularity and further multi-purpose.

I was thinking at least 10 pellets, but maybe 8-ish like you suggest could be enough.

Edited by Casardis

Interesting idea, but I'm still hoping that DE will make a slug mod for shotguns.

Think about this; one heavy projectile(Physics Impact damage type) with slightly reduced damage fall off, increased recoil and possibly a reduced fire rate. I only say slightly reduce the fall off so that shotguns don't turn into snipers and dominate everything.