Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OwlOfJune

Can we PLEASE do something about plant scan requirements for Silver Grove?

Yeah this is because of NW having silver grove. I have done it but figured some other players would prefer if it changed.

They are not *hard* to do but just is very *clunky* to do as quick melee has disappeared. You have to stop, bring out quick wheel, select scanner, click scanning for a couple sec while hoping nothing will do knockdown on you.

Granted, this can be avoided with AOE attack being on or using invisibility, but a side tracking stuff like this shouldn’t be relied on such things. Also, usually others will just rush past you making you fall behind and that can be annoying for other squads members and you.

And also... Earth planet cycle is atrocious.

4 hour is needlessly long and it makes it too difficult for people with jobs or study hard to fit in to either day or night schedule unless in a day off.

Solution 1 - Canister-fy

Make them act like Cetus plants, as in like other canisters. But this might need craft material requirement changes cause it will make obtaining them a lot easier.

Solution 2 - Saya becomes vender

Make them available with some standing. My random recommendation is Saya. There really isn’t much for Cetus Standing to be used outside trying new zaw, (mining stuff one purchase only, fishing stuff pretty obsolete with Thumper farming). So it would be nice to have some repeatable use for it.

Also because it will give Saya something to do instead of standing silently like Konzu’s trophy. Which is tragedy when she has been a sassy grandma with actual attitude not to mention some entertaining lines.

Edit : Some suggest Helios or Oxylus should just keep scan that, and I personally think that is a tad too far of being 'just do it for us', I think getting plants should have most basic interactivity, like getting other resources.

Fixing the scanner so it doesn't unequip every time you use melee etc would also be an option.

Although personally I'd like helios (or even oxylus) to scan the plants automatically... kind of removes the point of a scanning or 'conservation' sentinel not scanning the plants after the codex is full.

Looks at Helios...I still love you..but, you don't have to stop doing your job...

beep boop:...Who do you think is cleaning up after the fur-ball running around the ship when you're on the porta potty in the back room///?

1 minute ago, LSG501 said:

Fixing the scanner so it doesn't unequip every time you use melee etc would also be an option.

Funnily enough it was how it used to be.... quick melee was a thing, and I am really annoyed that it’s gone.

4 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I want this for mining too. 

Weapon switch could go back to full kill mode. 

It's the player's fault for not spending 5 seconds to pull out their codex scanner and scan a plant every now and then. These events occur so infrequently that casual scanning of plants that scream "scan me!" should give you enough materials to complete this Nightwave challenge.

I like the idea of gathering plants like in Cetus, it sounds a bit less monotonous. But for now you can just set a hotkey for your scanner so you don’t have to stop and bother with a gear wheel

9 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Although personally I'd like helios (or even oxylus) to scan the plants automatically... kind of removes the point of a scanning or 'conservation' sentinel not scanning the plants after the codex is full.

My problem with the scanner is that it doesn't always equip properly... Like you deploy a kinetic siphon trap and then switch to scanner, but actually, your primary is usually equipped and then you kill the synthesis target bh accident. So it goes equip siphon trap, equip scanner, then equip scanner again. But that's a slightly different topic!

11 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

If I recall correctly, this began with the Jovian Concord, and I assumed it was a bug.  I searched through all of the patch notes, and there was nothing listed about any changes to the scanner, so I figured that my assumption of it being a bug was correct.  But alas, here we are, however many months later, and no change, despite my reports.  I don't know if the scanner change was intentional or not, but either way, it appears that DE may not be in any hurry to change it.  I fear we may have to live with it forever.  :(

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  I really love most of what DE does, but they need to learn the meaning of the phrase "well enough alone".  I wish I could roll the scanner back to pre Jovian Concord, and I wish I could roll the lighting back to pre Saint of Altra.

But I digress.  Yeah, scanning all the plants to fight the specters is kind of atrocious, but the thing is, you don't need to do anywhere close to every single NW challenge to reach rank 30 and beyond, so is it really that big of a deal?  Just skip it.

And here we go....again

Players want EVERYTHING to be done automatically for them. All they want to do is touch their controller and let the game do it all for them. There is an enemy- let my macros take care of it while I look at my phone. There is an animal to be caught- let my pet get it for me. There is something to be scanned- let my machine pal do the work.

I swear we had better get one of those floating beds they have in Wall-E for our frames soon as there will be no need to do anything for the frames. Hek, we even have a way to make our frames fight without us controlling it. Just keep licking Cheetos seasonings off your fingers while slurping your 84 oz drinks and say it is too much work to sign into the game and DE will make a finger scanner/face recognization verification system for that as well

48 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Looks at Helios...I still love you..but, you don't have to stop doing your job...

Exactly.

A mod that allows either Helios or Oxylus to continue scanning "living matter" regardless of anything. My preference would be Oxylus, since it would fit well with the "scan aquatic lifeforms" => all you would need is another Oxylus-specific mod saying "scan terrestrial lifeforms"...

I am not saying it should be spoon fed (for example I think making it Helios scan forever is just being too lazy, even if it were to require extra mod or whatever), I am saying this is un-fun mechanic that takes abruptly take 5sec in a game that is fastrun corridor murder simulator.

Also for Earth plants, wouldn’t it be nice if half the nodes were Day and other half were Night?

All other things can be done with couple solo capture runs, like some have pointed out. But the Earth plants being locked behind 4 hour schedule is one of worst un-fun gimmick that just should stop existing.

I like the idea of keeping melee from unequiping the scanner, I usually will deploy a Specter to keep me covered on scanning runs.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Dishinshoryuken said:

And here we go....again

Players want EVERYTHING to be done automatically for them. All they want to do is touch their controller and let the game do it all for them. There is an enemy- let my macros take care of it while I look at my phone. There is an animal to be caught- let my pet get it for me. There is something to be scanned- let my machine pal do the work.

I swear we had better get one of those floating beds they have in Wall-E for our frames soon as there will be no need to do anything for the frames. Hek, we even have a way to make our frames fight without us controlling it. Just keep licking Cheetos seasonings off your fingers while slurping your 84 oz drinks and say it is too much work to sign into the game and DE will make a finger scanner/face recognization verification system for that as well

Imagine getting this out of a post that complains about scanner unequipping itself, and that 4 hour day/night cycle is a bit too long of a wait.

I can see the QoL reason for Helios to carry on scanning but I don't really find it a problem. I know the Silver Grove quest comes round now and again so if I'm doing a mission on Lua or Mars I just get the scans when I get chance and they build up ready for when the Silver Grove next comes round. No different then always keeping 3 empty sculptures around knowing that challenge will cycle round. Like everything it's about planning ahead.

Those flower scans are the reason i never done that one nightwave challenge.

I just can't be bothered... Its so annoying and tedious. Gotta wiki where it lives, go there for no reason - no alerats or fissures most likely, so no multitasking which is the only time when i feel like i'm making progress...

Then there's the entire thing with fumbling around with back and fourth scanner and weapons... Just no.

3 hours ago, LSG501 said:

You'd think they could create a mod that would prioritize and always scan "plant and animal life".   Call it "Ecosystem Scientist" as it were.

Duh, you don't even need apothics. Just join a group of randoms and they anoint the stone.

That said, if you make it a habit to scan for plants every now and then (especially on earth), you'll be swimming in it. I got 1000+ frost leafs.

6 hours ago, OwlOfJune said:

They are not *hard* to do but just is very *clunky* to do as quick melee has disappeared. You have to stop, bring out quick wheel, select scanner, click scanning for a couple sec while hoping nothing will do knockdown on you.

I am guessing someone has not added keybinds for the gearwheel so they only have to mash 1 key to get a scanner and mash again to remove it?  numeric keypad 4tw.

Your issues can be solved by just doing solo runs as Loki, you can even take the same time to farm stealth affinity and/or Simaris rep. You say such strats shouldn't be relied on but a few focused runs of this and you won't need to look at plants for months. Also resource boosters work on plants if you happen to have one running.

And the Earth issue only applies if you're doing the quest or are trying to farm all the mods yourself. Only one of the apothics require both day and night plants where the other two only require plants from one cycle. You can just grab whatever is available from Earth at that time and then get what those require from other planets.

It would be nice if the game treated the scanner as an "equipped ranged weapon."  So that if you melee something and then aim, it goes back to the scanner instead of your primary/secondary.  I almost think it *did* this for a little while after the system changed, but then stopped doing so.  I'm not going to say "it wouldn't be hard" because it's almost certainly not true.  But there *is* at least one example in game of something similar that still works like this - Ivara's exalted bow.  If you activate the power and then melee, then aim again, the bow returns without needing to recast the power.

The big issue is the day/night cycles are too dang long for those with limited time to play. Fixing this would be ideal, imo.

The new melee broke just about everything, but DE refuses to admit that, or do anything about it (Looking at the worthless Electromagnetic Shielding mod for one. RIP squad tank builds.). However, just doing a Capture mission on Earth will let you scan in peace, since someone thought it was a "good idea" to halt enemy spawns two minutes after the capture target is captured.

[sarcasm] Yeah. That was a GREAT idea that stopped all the farming and didn't make this mission boring AF. Thanks! [/sarcasm]

Helios would be nice too, but then people would be complaining about the need for auto-pickup of Ayatan Stars, etc ,etc. All for it, but I won't hold my breath for DE to add that as a QoL, heh.

Oh, and before people jump on me to tell me how to get the scans, I have plenty, and am maxed on NW so I can ignore it from now until it's end as the boring crap it is. My mini-rant is mainly just over all the old bugs (and new ones from unfinished melee "rework") that plaque us and are never fixed, or even acknowledged.

The problem we have with plant scans is the plants are fundamentally hidden. The only way to find them is to either stumble across them with blind luck - or more efficiently use the scanner to sweep the area to see where the plants are hidden.

No other resource I can think of is like this. everything else appears on the map as long as you have a loot detector somewhere in your setup. 

The OP is completely right that scanning plants is a PITA because you are constantly changing between weapons and scanning. OK not for all plants. plants like moss and frostleaf are always in the same place so they are easy to find. The real problems are those plants on earth that only have a small chance to be in the "usual spots" like dragon Lilly and jade leaf.

A QOL update to this would be a real boost to what is very clunky part of the game. I dont however think auto-scanning is a real option. I would be more than happy with some new mod or other - or even a base function or a drone to show the plants on the mini map. It could be the future