Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Earth Area Is Bs

Gigaus

Forgive me if this sounds whiny, but after the fifth time in a row of this happening I am seriously POed. First of all, I'm new to the game and I get that there's going to be hard spots in the game, but I don't expect them from the third area in the map chain, nor do I think it's fair that that sticking point is at the center of a branch to get out of this sodding area.

My issue is the very center mission, Mobile Defense Vs Infested, which is the first mobile defense I've gotten. After wiping twice for the first time when playing solo, I decided to go enlist some help from my friends on this map, figuring it was a case of 'don't try and be a hero' and such, which is a given now and then....To which, we wiped before we could even finish the first point....Three times...And before someone says the usual lowbrow stuff, two of the guys on our team were fairly high level, three times my own, so it isn't simply a case of 'play better'. The only, and I mean -only- issue any of us had within this mission was the Ancient Distruptors, that essentially steal our only form of CC in a mass swarm level.  Even after our 'carries' switched to shotguns and the like, we still had to face multiple disruptors and toxics not only chain CCing us but also stealing our shields and energy. I'm sorry, but I have to call massive BS and ask for some kind of recourse.

It's fine to have hard levels that require you to be high level, or grind, or try absurd tactics that you normally wouldn't try-- But not in the third area of a game. This is still the beginning area, I shouldn't be having this much trouble as a new player, nor should there be an issue for a full group at this early of a stage....It's not fair to new players to face what amounts to a mini boss, in the form of a pack of major CCers. The big issue wasn't that there was 'a' Disruptor now and then, it was that there were whole packs of them, three or four running up and chain stunning us until we were dead, or the computer was. How is that fair in any possible way; They take our Shield, energy, AND knock us over....And apparently spawn in groups, so even if you manage to get one, or even two, the last will likely still get you. The biggest thing that annoys me is that it wasn't always like this; my mate told me Earth wasn't the third area when he played through, and that it was considered a mid area for infested. Who decided to make it the third area? As well as the gate to the rest of the world? And what reason was it switched around?

My biggest issue is that...I keep getting told that you can get pretty far with the starting weapons you're given, but....After playing through this level a few times I have to question if that's true. The Barton is &!$$ poor by the time you get passed Venus, even with good mods, and the Leto isn't much better. Half way through Venus I picked up Duel Velsos [because I love revolvers, and use them even if they suck], and even those are having trouble dealing with all this non-sense....Meanwhile my primary barely handles the basic Infested, my secondary doesn't do enough damage to take care of bigger units, and is too slow to handle hordes, and my blade is pants unless charged fully, and even then it takes two charges to kill stuff at this level. I have to ask, what am I doing wrong that this is the case, because if it's not me, I'm calling difficulty wall right here for the sake of money grinding...Do I think it's really that simple, no, but the way it reads off-- New players run up against a brick wall, even with friends helping, basic equipment ineffective in extreamus; but better weapons can be paid for-- leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth.

All in all, I'd love to see something changed, so that it's not as silly as it is right now, but I'd settle for some feedback and help. At this point we're thinking of running with even higher level stuff and stocking up on energy healers-- But I can't really believe that this is the norm, this early on.

I seerusly do not get what you are talking about. I may sound like a typical $&*^ for this, but Infested is by far the easiest faction since you are ranged and they are melee, not to mention that in MD they all gather in one spot so if your weapon doesn't cut it you can use an ability to clean them up.

It may be hard to solo early on, but then why are you playing a CO-OP game? (don't give me connection excuse)

It is hard but not impossible to solo for beginners depending if you choose to start with Excalibur. For that mission you simply have to think smart, the best way to protect the console is to stand on top of the console and simply bash the ground, I had northwind on my cronus so the small fry couldn't hit me and took their time getting up when knocked down and when I saw an Ancient just used Radial Javelin, risen and repeat. Mind you it took me getting beat 3 times to reach this conclusion but hey it worked for me.

I can see Your point Sir. Mobile defense missions are kinda hard for lower rank players - especialy when there's difficulty finding full squad (id rather dont do these solo, theres too much time to loose if you fail the last stand). Also i remember when i started to play, Ancients were sucha pain in the &#!... And to be honest they still are. So i think You getting problem with beating this mission with current loadout - yeah, that makes sense. But this mission being on the crossroads to another areas blocking acces to another locations? nah, this does not make much sense. My only advice: as a beginner ignore all dagger, glaive, longsword BS (they dont AOE) and get yourself some nice heavy or dual weapon (especialy weapons with blades are super effective agains infested) , and try to use fire and ice damage mods on infested - they help a lot. But i feel this missions location will most likley remain unchanged so if You want to progress, You will need to face it :(
But You should know that infested are the least well scailing faction, so they are hard at the beginning and get much easier in the later game.

The issue that you're facing OP is that you ARE underpowered here if you're running Braton/Lato as your combo. Dual Vastos are nice, but ultimately not suitable against infested. I would suggest getting a Boltor and dual Akbolto to keep the enemies at bay. Also, dual ethers are good against infested as a melee option. Add fire mods to that and you have an infested stew goin!

Secondly, your rage as a new player is understandable, you haven't figured out how to read and prioritize your enemies properly. That's why you're being overwhelmed in this area since you don't know what to shoot at or when. Simply put: Infested ancients should ALWAYS be your primary target. When you or your team sees them, COMMUNICATE THIS and take them out ASAP. If you have the choice between leaving the pod prey to runners or crawlers, leave it.  Focus on the heavies before they ruin your playthrough.

Also, sometimes in extreme cases, you HAVE to let a teammember lose a life if the pod is in danger. You as a player should also proactively communicate to your team-members when you realize that the mission is in jeopardy of failing. Tell them to leave you and focus on the pod. THE POD IS ALL.

Third, Frost, this is essentially an easy win in any defense area up to wave 5. His snow globe slows enemies down and gives you extra time to react to them. This is double for ancients as they slow to a crawl under it's influence.

Edited by Hap-muhr

Forgive me if this sounds whiny, but after the fifth time in a row of this happening I am seriously POed. First of all, I'm new to the game and I get that there's going to be hard spots in the game, but I don't expect them from the third area in the map chain, nor do I think it's fair that that sticking point is at the center of a branch to get out of this sodding area.

I suggest upgrading from the Braton Mk.1 to the Braton. You can get one, tatered for your convenience, with a weapon slot (and a skin) from iahgames.com - sign up, sign in, make a new account, and you will receive a promo code which you can redeem on your main account. That rifle needs some levels, but it is a huge step from the Mk.1 - and it has a Catalyst preinstalled.

That's one thing. Next thing, Dual Vastos are a good step up from the Lato. Good choice there.

Mods you "need":

Rifle

- Serration. Get it as high as you can.

- Split Chamber. It's rare, but same deal as Serration. Max it ASAP.

- Hellfire. It really helps against Infested.

- Piercing Hit. Best damage type all around, helps against Ancients.

- Wild Fire. Hard to get for you, because Nightmare mod, but check back in Venus after clearing all missions.

Pistol

- Hornet Strike. The Serration of Pistols.

- Barrel Diffusion. The Split Chamber of Pistols.

- Heated Charge. See Hellfire.

- No Return. See Pericing Hit.

- Ice Storm. See Wildfire.

Then you can add the Infested damage mods, such as Bane of Infested and Expel Infested.

Melee can be neglected - you don't have any gear there that will help you much. Melee in this game is hardly viable and despite recent buffs, still is massively underperforming. It cannot compete in DPS, thread bubble size or any other function than ragdolling/knockdown. For the latter, Kogake's Charge, Kestrel's Charge and Furax' groundslam are pretty usefull in Defense scenarios to peel enemies off the pod.

Never melee Toxic Ancients. Take out Ancients with headshots, aim for the snout. Stay mobile. In Mobile Defense, take to higher ground and observe your enemies, take out the ones gunning for the pod/objective.

As Loki, use Decoy to distract them.

As Excal, use Blind and Javelin.

As Mag, Pull all day erryday.

Hope this helps you out. As a workaround for now, if you still have trouble, feel free to add me and I'll help you through.

Edited by Ced23Ric

What starter frame did you choose, OP?

If you know someone with an Excalibur or even better, a Rhino.... the mission is cakewalk.

I'm not saying that to be condescending, I'm merely attempting to help you learn how to deal with these maps (Infested Mobile Defense is considered one of the best XP areas in the game for example).

If you're Excalibur: Spam Slash Dash like it is going out of style. Don't bother with Radial Blind, that's a waste of energy. Get Rank3 Slash Dash on your Excalibur and just keep mashing the  1 key and picking up the blue orbs. Those ancients should die outright in 1 shot, just make sure that you're careful if you go to Slash Dash a Toxic Ancient, make sure that you start before it gets to you and that the end of your path will be far enough behind it so you don't get hit with the poison.

If you know a Rhino.... or ask for one in the Region chat... they can solo the mission with ease merely by using Iron Skin and Rhino Stomp with a good melee weapon (Orthos works well). The Rhino Stomp is actually overkill/emergency measure, it isn't even needed. I've personally done this with naught but Fury on my Orthos.

The way I'm seeing it, you're simply not using the proper equipment or using common sense.  Buy a new gun if you're using the MK1 Braton.  Do your research before you buy a new gun.  Or any weapon in general.  

Profit.  Literally.  Also having good mods help but that's another story since I haven't gotten more than one piercing hit since U8.  

Either that or you've had the luck of running with noob teams.  I never had an issue as a newbie with these levels, and let me tell you, these Mobile Defense missions are not designed for soloing.  Even with a potatoed Ember, mobile defense is an issue and I can die quite easily if I'm not paying attention or if I run out of energy to utilize my WOF or fire blast.  

It sounds like you need to use your abilities before the disruptor, or the toxic, or any ancient you see gets to you. 
I almost managed to solo that mission at your level with Loki when I was at your level. You're definitely doing something wrong OP, not to be mean or anything. Try changing tactics, stand on top of raised areas and just shoot them off the pod. Use more abilities. Try using slide attacks during melee to keep yourself moving while one hitting weaker infested.

sounds like you did the nightmare mode. Go back today and try it. It will be breeze. Nightmare modes are random. they appear everyday on different missions on different planets. So you luck was bad that nightmare mode was on the mobile defense mission on earth that you were trying to do. That's why you were losing health and shields.

Edited by MonsterMonkey

That mission is in a goofy spot since it is quite difficult at that time for a new player. You can't always build what you want due to resources that you may not have access to yet. If you are still having trouble, add me and I will run you through it after work.

• 2 weeks later...

First, thank you all for replying here as you did, I'm glad to see I got as much feedback as I did. Now secondly, I would like to mention that, after finally beating that one level [by BSing back and bringing an excess of team heals and energy], one of my mates told me what we were getting was some kind of spawning bug. Mind you, the issue was mostly the Ancients, especially Disruptors, spawning in groups of 3~4, when they're supposed to spawn alone or with commons. Somewhere along the line the issue got fixed and Mobile Defense on Earth is less absurd.

That said, I still have to push the point that what is essentially a team 'only' mission so early on is a bit...Crazy. Truthfully, I would expect something like that from the forth or fifth area, not the third-- And not at the dead center either. It is the only mission that opens you up to a branching path, in terms of planets/areas. If it were that you could avoid it, and go on a different path, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

anyway, there are some posts I'd like to reply to, so I'll edit them in.

That mission is relatively simple if you got Hellfire or Heated Charge if not.............

Yeah, it is, as is any mission with Infested, however...I just got Heated Charge -today-, after a week of grinding. Most of the drops I get are the same, and getting an uncommon like that in Mercury or Venus...? I'm still having trouble finding commons that aren't Ammo Drum or Vitality, out to Saturn and Mars.

I seerusly do not get what you are talking about. I may sound like a typical $&*^ for this, but Infested is by far the easiest faction since you are ranged and they are melee, not to mention that in MD they all gather in one spot so if your weapon doesn't cut it you can use an ability to clean them up.
It may be hard to solo early on, but then why are you playing a CO-OP game? (don't give me connection excuse)

We, and note I say -we- here, had multiple Ancients coming in and stun locking us in a corner, and with half of them being disruptors we didn't have the energy to deal with the smaller nothings. Don't get me wrong, anything that isn't one of the big guys is pants, but when they're all mobbing around and no one had a Boltor [everyone had somas, bar myself], we couldn't cut them down fast enough whenever we weren't being stun locked.

And because, half the people I run into on this game a rude towards low-level players, or abandon them....I was grinding solo to maybe be able t pull my weight; which isn't uncommon in a co-op game, on the starting couple areas.  

What starter frame did you choose, OP?

If you know someone with an Excalibur or even better, a Rhino.... the mission is cakewalk.

I'm not saying that to be condescending, I'm merely attempting to help you learn how to deal with these maps (Infested Mobile Defense is considered one of the best XP areas in the game for example).

If you're Excalibur: Spam Slash Dash like it is going out of style. Don't bother with Radial Blind, that's a waste of energy. Get Rank3 Slash Dash on your Excalibur and just keep mashing the  1 key and picking up the blue orbs. Those ancients should die outright in 1 shot, just make sure that you're careful if you go to Slash Dash a Toxic Ancient, make sure that you start before it gets to you and that the end of your path will be far enough behind it so you don't get hit with the poison.

If you know a Rhino.... or ask for one in the Region chat... they can solo the mission with ease merely by using Iron Skin and Rhino Stomp with a good melee weapon (Orthos works well). The Rhino Stomp is actually overkill/emergency measure, it isn't even needed. I've personally done this with naught but Fury on my Orthos.

Mag, for AoE and CC. I tried Loki from a friend's account and it didn't fit well with me, nor did Excalibur, considering I'm a ranged sort of guy. She works fine on the small Infested with her pull at max, and is okay with Ancients, but when her energy is out, it's all up to the guns you have. And for everyone going on about my loadout; I already upgraded my Barton mk.1 to just a Barton, and I got Duel Valsto like I said, and a Chronos. I may be wrong on this, but, aside from one or two weapons, even if I were to buy blueprints, I wouldn't have the resources to build them given I wasn't past Earth yet. That's part of my issue-- It's the third area of the game, and you don't have access to all the crafting materials yet....Upgrading your guns is either a very tedious grind, even with alerts from what I've seen, or buying them with cash. I haven't checked in some time, but the only guns you can buy wholesale [that is, without crafting them] with credits is the Strunt [75k], the Barton [25k], and I believe two of the pistols [i'll be honest, I haven't looked at pistols since I got my Valstos]. It's fair enough to go 'switch out your loadout if you're having trouble', when it's feasibly possible to do so, without paying real money for it.  

Either that or you've had the luck of running with noob teams.  I never had an issue as a newbie with these levels, and let me tell you, these Mobile Defense missions are not designed for soloing.  

The first couple of times I grabbed a team, it was essentially that, after that I ran with some friends, and found out we were just running into a bug.

sounds like you did the nightmare mode. Go back today and try it. It will be breeze. Nightmare modes are random. they appear everyday on different missions on different planets. So you luck was bad that nightmare mode was on the mobile defense mission on earth that you were trying to do. That's why you were losing health and shields.

Umm....I'd like to point out, you can't do Nightmare mode until you've cleared every level in a system ._.; And if you try and join a party doing Nightmare when you haven't, the mission default to normal.

Edited by Gigaus

Yes, defense and mobile defense are pretty BS to new players/groups or impossible solo without just the right gear. Specially when normal missions of the same level are quite doable.

Rather then make players grind out missions before it for mods that might not drop before it, or cheese it with a higher level group in online mode they should have a longer alternate path through the planet.

1  Defense

--O--------O----------O--

\                       /

O---O---O---O

4 normal missions

First, thank you all for replying here as you did, I'm glad to see I got as much feedback as I did. Now secondly, I would like to mention that, after finally beating that one level [by BSing back and bringing an excess of team heals and energy], one of my mates told me what we were getting was some kind of spawning bug. Mind you, the issue was mostly the Ancients, especially Disruptors, spawning in groups of 3~4, when they're supposed to spawn alone or with commons. Somewhere along the line the issue got fixed and Mobile Defense on Earth is less absurd.

That said, I still have to push the point that what is essentially a team 'only' mission so early on is a bit...Crazy. Truthfully, I would expect something like that from the forth or fifth area, not the third-- And not at the dead center either. It is the only mission that opens you up to a branching path, in terms of planets/areas. If it were that you could avoid it, and go on a different path, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

And because, half the people I run into on this game a rude towards low-level players, or abandon them....I was grinding solo to maybe be able t pull my weight; which isn't uncommon in a co-op game, on the starting couple areas. 

Since I can't figure out how to intelligently format stuff in this (apparently rather crappy, no BBCode?, no preview?) forum software, I'll add my 2c to your points above the primitive way, apologies in advance if the formatting is off.

I'm someone that hates going into stuff not knowing what they're doing, as such I started out solo as well. But frankly, it's just a bad idea to play solo for any amount of time past Venus as you just level slower. I started grouping a bit before I tried to kill Jackal and tbh the only issues I've had with players since then is that keeping up with some can be rather a chore. While it might not be too considerate of them to rush I haven't had any issues with people abandoning me during defense missions or swearing or such even when I obviously messed up due to inexperience and meanwhile I've gotten rather good at *sort of* keeping up with Warframes that are faster than me.

On the subject of weaponry I found the Beginner's Guide here on the forums rather helpful in that respect. That said some mods that are considered essential (eg. damage mods for rifles) seem just stupidly rare. And yeah, the Braton Mk1 is pretty terrible even on Venus already. The Leto otoh is a rather nice pistol and I'm seriously wondering if the Prime version is worth it.

You shouldn't need CC against the space zombies. They take triple damage from melee. Just grab a melee weapon that hits multiple targets and go to town on them. You can mow down a dozen of them almost instantly. If the disruptors are giving you trouble just focus fire them and they should go down before they have a chance to cause problems.

Edit: And you were lied to. The starting weapons are crap, especially the MK1. Get rid of them ASAP.

Edited by Lachryphage