Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something's That's Been On My Mind For Awhile...(Small Rant About What's Going On With De And Players)

omagawolf

Okay yes we get it. We all get it. DE isn't doing the best right now. There's the miscommunication, lack of updates of...well updates, and the most recent U10 grind. While they should (In my opinion) say that so and so update will happen in so and so day, they should also say "We are going to be doing testing on this update for x amount of time, any volunteers to test this before it is released to everyone are encouraged" Or something along the lines of that.

However, it's not just them that have a lack of communication, it is us, the community as well. With DE's current form of updating, we, the beta TESTERS, are meant to TEST and provide FEEDBACK that HELPS them find any BUGS, EXPLOITS, and/or just plain old bad decisions (Remember dojo costs before they were based on size?) While granted there are those of us that do just that, we are often flooded out by the other side of us, those who just say GOSH DE SUCKS FIX THIS NOW THIS GAME IS BROKEN blah blah blah...

We are meant to help DE shape this game with our feedback and finding of things that aren't meant to be here. On one side, I am noticing a lack of communication, on the other, I am seeing a lack of any remotely helpful communication. What I'm trying to (lightly) say is, it's not just DE's fault, it's ours too y'all

And now I wait for trolls and such

Wait... lack of communication? Whah?

So the livestreams don't happen? And we don't get posts from Rebecca? And the design council isn't recieving daily updates on the new weapons dropping possibly by the end of this week/early next?

We know about the upcoming armor changes, we know about new weapons, new game modes... I'm sorry but, I don't understand how you can say we don't "know" anything.

Now I do agree with you, this game is still a Beta, and we are all Beta Testers, and I think many people forget that... which makes me, as a "professional" game critic/reviewer a little sad.

Honestly, I've found the majority of critical posts to be quite constructive.

There's a far higher ratio of constructive posts to rants.

Over the days/weeks, I've seen very few threads that are basically "OMG DE SUCKS!", while I've seen plenty that outline issues with the game in a well thought out manner.

Wait... lack of communication? Whah?

So the livestreams don't happen? And we don't get posts from Rebecca? And the design council isn't recieving daily updates on the new weapons dropping possibly by the end of this week/early next?

We know about the upcoming armor changes, we know about new weapons, new game modes... I'm sorry but, I don't understand how you can say we don't "know" anything.

Now I do agree with you, this game is still a Beta, and we are all Beta Testers, and I think many people forget that... which makes me, as a "professional" game critic/reviewer a little sad.

I want to use the most recent things from update ten up. New infested weapons AND sentinel? Cool! New frame! Sweet! New tileset! Even better! New awesome boss that we were told about in live stream four (or five, can't really remember) is at long last out! YAY!

So...that's a lot of materials...why weren't we told about how much they'd cost?

So we get frame from new boss? What about volt? Wait, the new boss isn't replacing golem after all? Even when he was said to be a place holder? Okay I guess...

Wait, we have to craft keys to get to new boss to get new frame? welllll, that ain't so bad right?

...You can only get the parts in the new tile sets? Well...I mean that's not so ba-oh we have to farm for those keys too? Well, wait an hour waiting? Um...

Oh and you have to host if you're the one with the key???But I'm a crap host! Oh well...

HE TAKES THREE CELLS TO MAKE??

We weren't told of any of this. Not even us in the council. Another example? Stamna nerf. Were we told about that? Well, in a way. scott told us that he'd make it so that stamna mattered now, but an outright nerf?

While yes, DE does do a good job for the most part, I'm not saying that they don't, they do! However, there are key things that are...just not clear or out right not said. 

Honestly, I've found the majority of critical posts to be quite constructive.

There's a far higher ratio of constructive posts to rants.

Over the days/weeks, I've seen very few threads that are basically "OMG DE SUCKS!", while I've seen plenty that outline issues with the game in a well thought out manner.

As a person known for browsing the forums and going deep into the depths, I can honestly say there are a disturbing amount of "OMG DE SUCKS!" threads. Moreover, I've seen tons of seemingly constructive threads that, upon closer scrutiny, are actually purely complaints. 

That said, I do agree that useless rage and rant threads are not as numerous as those that are constructive. However, I think that many of us agree that "volume" tends to be noticed more than quality. For example, people seem to comment and upvote useless rage and rant threads more than critical/constructive threads. When a person says "Being loud is better than being constructive", they are sadly correct. I wish it wasn't this way, but it is. And it is those useless rants and rage threads that take the much needed attention away from the truly deserving threads.

I disagree that DE is bad about communication. They are excellent about it. Nearly every other game developer group out there seems to operate on the philosophy of "you get new content when you get it, and you'll have to just be grateful for that." Sure, they don't give concrete dates for updates weeks in advance like some of the more major developers/publishers out there, but that's because they're working with a markedly smaller team and know that their community will string them up on the gallows if they miss a shakily promised deadline. Between the livestreams, fairly active participation on the feedback forums and the upcoming gameplay streams for the fun of it, I'd say DE is pretty damn good about keeping us up to date. Of course, if they had concrete details like "the new damage system is about 3/4 of the way done," that'd be nice, but I'd rather they spend their time working on it than spend their time telling us they're working on it.

On the other hand, I wholeheartedly agree that we as a "beta-testing" community are not stepping up to the plate on behalf of our responsibilities. Bugs don't really get reported unless they're an inconvenience to players in some way, and a lot of feedback amounts to indiscriminate rage. A big part of it is that the community is perpetually divided over many issues with weapon balance, Warframe balance, mod balance, etc. We all have different ideas of what Warframe should be, and it seems too easy to forget that Warframe needs to be what DE thinks it should be, influenced in part by our preferences. In other words, we tend to overestimate the authority we hold as Warframe's playerbase. It would be nice to see DE take steps to actively reach out to the more dedicated and enthusiastic testers amongst the community to help speed content production and modification along just a tad.