Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Shield Transparency

Dhabu

Hi all,

I started as Volt back when you could do such things, didn't play for awhile, and now I really like Warframe and am playing it a fair bit.

Volt has a few issues, but in this post I'd like to focus on one thing: His shield. Great utility, and my favourite ability now that I'm levelled enough to be fighting enemies that laugh at Shock and will happily kill me for being dumb enough to use Overload.

However, the shield does have one glaring issue: When I'm looking through it, everything is so distorted that I have trouble seeing enemies at all, let alone where their heads are. Consequently, I either fire shots semi-blind until I see damage numbers come up, wasting ammo and time, or I peek out around the shield, taking damage and wasting time. In addition, if I have decent cover, sometimes I won't even want to use the shield, since I'd rather get 2x from headshots than 1.5x from shield-amplified body shots.

If it pleaseth DE, I would like to see his shield visuals altered to make it easier/clearer to see through them.

Agreed. If part of its utility is supposed to be shooting through it, the shield itself should not visually impede players from shooting through it. That issue can be remedied by turning off DoF/Motion Blur, but as is the case with bloom it would be better if the effects were implemented in such a way that they didn't detract from playability.

Off-topic, Volt's shield could also either use a slight size increase or be partially affected by Stretch.

Thanks for the tip about DoF/Motion Blur, I'll try those to see if I can squeeze some visibility in the meantime.

You're right though; I shouldn't have to de-prettify the game to use an ability, if my machine can handle it.

I also agree. The ripple distorting effect is quite intense, and can make it uncomfortable to look through. I understand that the effect is to give the Electric Shield a cool and unique look, but the blurring is too excessive, in my opinion.  Maybe toning down on the distortion effect will be better, as I'm not all for removing it entirely.