Sign in to follow this  
[DE]Helen

Renown Pack XVII Available Now!

WF_RenownPackXVII_Keyart_4K.png

Renown Pack XVII has arrived to help you show off your PlayStation pride! Including the PS4-exclusive Obsidian Samia Syandana, Obsidian Ephemera, discounted Platinum and more, this pack is a great value for Tenno looking to add some flair to their Arsenal.

Renown Pack XVII features:

• 170 Platinum
  • Obsidian Samia Syandana
  • Obsidian Ephemera
  • 3-Day Credit Booster
  • 3-Day Affinity Booster

Regional Availability:

• September 10 - Americas
  • September 11 - Europe, Oceania, and Asia
  • September 17 - Japan

Renown Pack XVII can only be purchased once per account and is available for a limited time.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

This is very cool; however, what happened to Ephemera being skill / ability / merit based / otherwise available to everyone? That was the intent stated by the team some DevStreams ago, but twice now Ephemeras have been shut behind a paywall (Wukong's Prime Access, and now an Obsidian Reknown Pack, exclusive to only a portion of Warframe's player-base).

Why has DE gone back on this?

(To be fair, having Ephemera be part of a drop table isn't merit-based, either, but at least that's truer to the original sentiment?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)Maunstre said:

This is very cool; however, what happened to Ephemera being skill / ability / merit based / otherwise available to everyone? That was the intent stated by the team some DevStreams ago, but twice now Ephemeras have been shut behind a paywall (Wukong's Prime Access, and now an Obsidian Reknown Pack, exclusive to only a portion of Warframe's player-base).

Why has DE gone back on this?

(To be fair, having Ephemera be part of a drop table isn't merit-based, either, but at least that's truer to the original sentiment?)

I would guess it is because it is a PS4 exclusive. They would have to create a drop in the world state for each platform. Easier to put it in the pack. 

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

On 2019-09-10 at 6:40 PM, (PS4)MoRockaPDX said:

I would guess it is because it is a PS4 exclusive. They would have to create a drop in the world state for each platform. Easier to put it in the pack. 

I feel you're missing the point of my comment, there. My comment is more to do with "why would you give an exclusive pack Ephemera, something previously stated to be non-exclusive and attainable for everyone by nature / dev intent, in the first place." RE: why are you making a PS4-exclusive Ephemera after saying you don't want Ephemeras to be exclusive, that you want them to be attainable for everyone?

On 2019-09-12 at 11:17 AM, (PS4)Maunstre said:

I feel you're missing the point of my comment, there. My comment is more to do with "why would you give an exclusive pack Ephemera, something previously stated to be non-exclusive and attainable for everyone by nature / dev intent, in the first place." RE: why are you making a PS4-exclusive Ephemera after saying you don't want Ephemeras to be exclusive, that you want them to be attainable for everyone?

It’s a compromise. A new thing to release, but it is counter to its original intention of being an earned reward. Though it remains, in the tradition of providing cosmetics or low level gear in platform exclusive/premium packs. 

22 hours ago, (PS4)MoRockaPDX said:

It’s a compromise. A new thing to release, but it is counter to its original intention of being an earned reward. Though it remains, in the tradition of providing cosmetics or low level gear in platform exclusive/premium packs. 

A "compromise" to what? A compromise suggests that there were requests for platform-exclusive Ephemera from the community. An actual compromise on this would be a PS4, XBOX, and Switch pack all launching together that contain this Ephemera, and some kind of bundle for PC users to also get it. What we have isn't a compromise, it's just going back on a promise made.

Console platform-exclusive bundles have never offered actual gear that I can recall - no weapons, no Warframes; only skins, cosmetics, plat, and boosters.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Maunstre said:

A "compromise" to what? A compromise suggests that there were requests for platform-exclusive Ephemera from the community. An actual compromise on this would be a PS4, XBOX, and Switch pack all launching together that contain this Ephemera, and some kind of bundle for PC users to also get it. What we have isn't a compromise, it's just going back on a promise made.

Console platform-exclusive bundles have never offered actual gear that I can recall - no weapons, no Warframes; only skins, cosmetics, plat, and boosters.

Fair enough, but a promise is also a bit much. That is not how I remember the ephemera being described. It was more a reward that they intend to make more skill based reward. Nothing concrete was said that you would see them show up in other ways. At the end of the day they have a pack to release and need to put something it. It could have been as simple as an artist was excited to make that particular ephemera, so it gets made. It raises awareness that they are a collectable in the game, especially for a new player who picks that pack up for the first time. 

I guess my point is, that this isn’t a big violation of trust. In a dev stream DE said they are more intended for skill rewards. Never said it is the only way you can get them. They just look pretty, so it won’t imbalance the game. Take a step back from it, and I see no harm. 

P.S. Just picked up the pack. The ephemera looks great! Like being hugged by blue laser light. 

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX
  • Upvote 1

On 2019-09-15 at 10:38 PM, (PS4)MoRockaPDX said:

Fair enough, but a promise is also a bit much. That is not how I remember the ephemera being described. It was more a reward that they intend to make more skill based reward. Nothing concrete was said that you would see them show up in other ways. At the end of the day they have a pack to release and need to put something it. It could have been as simple as an artist was excited to make that particular ephemera, so it gets made. It raises awareness that they are a collectable in the game, especially for a new player who picks that pack up for the first time. 

I guess my point is, that this isn’t a big violation of trust. In a dev stream DE said they are more intended for skill rewards. Never said it is the only way you can get them. They just look pretty, so it won’t imbalance the game. Take a step back from it, and I see no harm. 

P.S. Just picked up the pack. The ephemera looks great! Like being hugged by blue laser light. 

This is only the second ephemera, right? The other one being the one you can earn from Nightwave challenges? Or are there more in game already?

I'm ok with DE selling us packs like this. It's not like you have to buy 50 lootboxes to finally get what you want. If they keep telling us upfront what you get exactly for how much money or plat, I'm fine with that. I spend some cash on Warframe, not too much. But only because I know what I'm going to get, even though some things seem a bit overpriced.

This doesn't play into the weakness for gambling a lot of people cope with.

Sign in to follow this