Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How can I tell my playstyle

(XBOX)ItsmarionetteXx

Question

21 answers to this question

Well, Warframe is quite different from your regular MMOs, as in there is no concrete playstyle, or "class". While there are some warframes that are a lot more durable than others, or warframes that can heal and buff others, there are no dedicated classes. You make your own class, your own playstyle, and you do that primarily with mods. Collect mods, upgrade them, learn their effects, and after you have a wide variety of them, then you can finetune your warframes to play as you want. You may want a fast paced, gun firing warframe, or a slow moving, melee machine of destruction (or even vice versa). Maybe you want to play with your abilities more, and not focus that much on gun play or melee attacks, so you can feel like a mage or something. Mods will allow you to do whatever you want with whichever frame. The only downside is that you gotta experience the game for a long time to have sufficient mods to tune your frame exactly how you like. Be patient, have fun, and explore many playstyles. Who knows, you may find something you never thought would appeal to you!

• Like 1

Your playstyle is your playstyle...

This is a very subjective matter.

Just think how you like to play the game.

Do you use melee or ranged weapons more often?

Perhaps you like spamming WF abilities? Offensive abilities? Crowd control? Defensive abilities? Support abilities? Some combination of these?

Do you move around a lot or rather stay in the same place (camp)?

There are so many variables. There isn't a list of playstyles.

It's just how you enjoy playing the game.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum
  • Like 2

That was something I was thinking a bit too when I was starting playing. (Nod nod.) It's pretty much you alone who can tell what is your playstyle. Simply, playstyle means what kind of playing comes naturally to you and how you like to do things. It's all matter of testing to find what you like.

I suppose that by your question you mean that you want some kind of pointers for describing one's playstyle. Here are some pointers that come to my mind when I describe my playstyle as opposed to, say, the playstyle of a friend of mine. Mind you, these are more scales than binaries 🙂

Blasting Through vs. Sneakiness: I enjoy just going in guns blazing (rush in and wreck havoc, fire and explosions etc.), while my friend enjoys stealthy approach (going around without getting noticed, backstabbing, snipering etc.)

General Direction vs. Aiming: I lack patience to focus and aim, hence I prefer weapons with large hitspread (like Ignis). My friend gets his aiming done and prefers sniper rifles with massive damage.

Just by Flow vs. Careful Planning: I rather stop to think when I have a wall against me while another friend of mine likes to optimize all before even encountering anyone.

...and there are many more categories. Just try what feels most fun to you!

Gun or Blade

Offensive Abilities or Support Abilities? (support I would devide into about 4 styles...   control, buffs, healers, utility.   Control would be like Nyx/Nova/Gara,  buffers would be like Valkyr/Octavia/Rhino,  Healers would be like garuda/trinity/oberon,  Utility would be like Khora,Hydro,Nekros.    Thats in general,  those arent the only ones and some of those may also fit into other catagories. ) 

Those are about the only choices you should consider for a general purpose playstyle.  Otherwise your style will probably be dictated by the type of content you like to run.   Like if you have a hard on for eidolons or arbitrations or eso or orb spiders,  all that stuff requires much more specific gear.   Figuring out what you like to play in general will probably help define what type of meta frames you wanna use for that stuff.  

10 hours ago, (XB1)ItsmarionetteXx said:

Its seems like a stupid to ask but I really cant tell what kind of play style I am,HECK what kind of play styles are there on WF

What are your 3 more used warframes and how you get them? 

What are your 3 most used primary?

What are your 3 most used secondary?

What are your 3 most used melee?

Do you switch way to much between your primary and Melee?

Do you like to use your secondary?

how do you behave(in-game) when you have to protect something?

How do you  behave(in-game) when youre in sabotage/capture missions?

Do you like to use public or prefer solo?(playing with your friends doesnt count).

Whats your more like mission type?

Edited by prodi1600

So...good question.  In some games I like to blow stuff up while in others I love smashing things with melee.  In some games I love to control crowds or play support.

The thing I love about warframe is that depending on my weapons I can sort of do all of the above.

Right now I am playing Nyx.  She's a support CC frame.  But I do heavy melee and range with my primary.  My secondary acts as a crowd control weapon.  My melee is sparring.

I just sort of mashed everything I like in one thing.  

So I suggest you do the same at lower levels until you figure out what suits you.  Almost any frame can do that.

Oberon is probably a really good frame to help people figure this question out.  He is really well balanced.   You can use him offensively,  you can use him for support.  You will naturally just build him towards the way you enjoy playing him.  I wish I could use some other frame to fight terralyst.  I wouldnt mind freeing up my Oberon for general use.

19 hours ago, (XB1)ItsmarionetteXx said:

Its seems like a stupid to ask but I really cant tell what kind of play style I am,HECK what kind of play styles are there on WF

It differs from player to player as each one is unique.

You simply jump into a mission, play and then decide what you need to get better.

If you have no clue, then you jump into another mission, and another, and another, until you know what you need. This is fundamental in order to get a grasp of the modding mechanic, since you mod to suit your gameplay, you don't copy and you certainly don't ask for builds.

5 hours ago, KIREEK said:

It differs from player to player as each one is unique.

You simply jump into a mission, play and then decide what you need to get better.

If you have no clue, then you jump into another mission, and another, and another, until you know what you need. This is fundamental in order to get a grasp of the modding mechanic, since you mod to suit your gameplay, you don't copy and you certainly don't ask for builds.

the thing is warframe gives you really 0 direction, so it can be unapproachable as hell for a new player, especially one not playing with others or being guided by new objectives to play with others. 

ive been helping out a lot of new players lately and ive noticed this, they kind of get burnt out because doing the star chart and random missions with no real idea what to "farm for" or groupign with players is just... boring.

Honestly the new player exp in warframe is S#&$. the game isn't fun untill you get into the flow, and getting there is hard.

my best recomemndation for you OP is to look at something like a repository of videos on weapons and frames, such as https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcNx8bZxg_EgRrTY_Oi8utA?view_as=subscriber, courtesy of https://www.cephalonwannab.com/'s list of weapons. take the "rankings" with a grain of salt. For warframes, look at the warframe list on the wiki https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Warframes see if something sticks out for you. this will help you discover the variety in the game and make goals.also like i said, playing with others is a huge help. i dont know if theres a "what is right for you" guide out there.

it took me a while to learn my "playstyle' in wf, but for me its basically supportive caster frames with weapons that allow me to make the most out of warframes amazing movement system, so i like big aoe weapons like simulor (i miss you bb), arca plasmor and precision weapons because i've always enjoyed sniping, i find myself having the most fun playing wf when im speeding through a mission as fast as i can with out ever even seeing the mobs i kill, so i tend to play maglev + bullet jump modded high mobility trinity hybrid + clear weapons. for me its fun as #*!%, and my favorite weapons and frames are anything that compliment that. so i really enjoy mirage for more dakka, khora for more enemy/loot radar and i love kavats,  and strangledome on a lot of mobs makes aoe weapons easy to clear with. 

top frames: trinity, khora, ivara, mirage

top weapons: dokhram arca plasmor, opticor, gaze

asthetic is a huge deal for me in wf so i also generally pick things that compliment what i like, asthetically. 

this probably isnt helpful but what im tryin to get at is i just kept trying S#&$ untill things stuck, when i started this game i was a snipetron/braton/soma user, and i only played trinity/volt, so even when i started  i kind of had a rough idea of how i enjoyed playing the game.

5hICp9e.png

aU7umZI.png

obligatory fashion post.

Edited by PrismaCat

6 hours ago, KIREEK said:

since you mod to suit your gameplay, you don't copy and you certainly don't ask for builds.

TRUTH!!! So many overlook this simple truth.  I can show you my Tenchu Assassin Ivara build all day, but that isn't going to show you how to play well with it.  This is why I always say that any of my builds are just a guide to help you find your own build to fit your playstyle/needs.  

Play styles can often change depending upon mood.
Are you in an amped-up hyper mood or had too much coffee today guass or volt are good choices.

Are you in a lazy mood and don't really want to do much basically just walkthrough missions barely paying attention... Then it's probably in an Inaros day.

Had a bad day and you just want to kill EVERYONE AND destroy EVERYTHING.... well you're in luck a lot of warframes can fulfill this role. Saryn/khora(accumulating whipclaw build)/equinox/volt/wukong(red crit primal fury build)/baruuk (endless Serene storm build), Mesa, ember! (you know if you want to farm lith missions and pretend the Nerf never happened) etc etc

if you want to support others with healing Oberon/wisp/trinity... But nowadays with the Magus repair on your operator you can kind of be a healer with any frame.

Crowd control in Warframe is largely dead but if you really want to do it ... Nyx/rev/khora(she can do this pretty good too), vauban(generally considered the worst frame of the game but that's just because he's nearly 100% focused on crowd control and crowd control as I said is largely dead in Warframe he'll be different soonish)

For me play style largely changes on how I feel or what I want to do that day, and different frames fit those play styles/ roles better than others.  You shouldn't really pigeon hole yourself into a single play style anyway or things will get boring quickly, and then they can Nerf something that can ruin your whole game experience if you're only focused on one thing.

When you play, what's your melee kills to kills ratio?

Which missions you enjoy to play most in solo and with friends?

What's your revival instincts in randos?

When and how do you usually die in a mission?

How often you use energy pizzas?

What're your most used worn buttons? The movement buttons? The sprint or crouch?

What's your weapon accuracy?

What's your most used gear other than your beginner gear?

Ask yourself these questions and find a loadout that maximizes these traits. That's your playstyle

• Like 1

On 2019-09-11 at 3:35 PM, (XB1)ItsmarionetteXx said:

A lot of people dont know till they aquire certain frames and try them, its a pity that warframe does not have something liek the archaic/old mech warrior online, they have trial mechs which have a standard/unchangeable loadout so you can just hop in and try a mech type to see if you like it, if a pilot does like it they might buy a variant with earned ingame credits or might end up going to the shop and just buying one or a special variant.

Its a pity warframe doesnt have rotating trial warframes for newbs to try out, maybe rotated on a weekly basis with stock/fixed loadouts complete with fixed mods so new players can try before they farm/buy.  They would soon find out what type of playstyle they prefer when they find warframes that suit them.

Edited by Methanoid

I would say there are a couple basic types of warframes.

For example, Rhino is a tank, Mesa is a DPS, Loki is stealth, etc.

The Unofficial Warframe Handbook has a page specifically on the warframes and how they work.

I would check that out for personal reference. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ylw9HK2ol6yam3MMNbycbuHxjmctg3gCqsbI4yy2gK0/edit#heading=h.bqhu4ocjz4y)

If you're talking about gunplay vs melee, then it's somewhat a choice between if you prefer shooting at enemies or meleeing them to death.