Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reintroduce Manual Blocking While Keeping the Envisioned Gun and Blade Phase-One Gameplay

MysticDragonMage

I'm trying to get back on warframe lately, but the phase one of the new melee system keeps discouraging me to do so, and its not because its just an unfinished system.

the introduced phase-one system mostly focuses on the creating more fluent transitions between using a firearm and using a melee weapon. i like this concept alone because now the weapon gameplay feels more consistent with the game's fast-paced combat. however, it removes manual block and adds a auto block instead.

my biggest gripe is the phase 1 auto-block when facing enemies. this is especially concerning to me because it leads me to assume that the system is going toward a direction i know i would not like (that is only if manual blocking is not re-introduced).

DE used to feature melee 3.0 with manual blocking and a few additional systems tied to it. for one thing, attacking while blocking would result in a lunging strike that would close the gap between enemies. secondly, blocking would control the distance of a rolling dodge. seeing this envisioned concept potential scraped in favor of auto-block does not feel like it would be worth implementing, even if it favors more fluent gun and blade gameplay.

here is my suggestion

first, start from scratch and reintroduce manual blocking and toggling between melee and firearms.

second, rethink the your approach on introducing a fluent gun and blade system:

- take "quick melee" and develop and alternative function while a melee weapon is equipped.

- this alternative function of quick melee would quickly shoot your previously equipped firearm before manually toggling melee mode.

- simply rename "quick melee" to "quick attack".

this is a simple solution on paper admittedly. you cant aim your previously equipped firearm while a melee weapon is equipped for one thing and the player can only focus on one weapon type over the other. however, i can argue that it would be better than the phase one system because it keeps manual block and opens the way to many more changes to melee, specifically the new blocking mechanics originally envisioned.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

This idea is DOA.

so how exactly would the suggestion work without doing so, how can you prove this would happen, how would you reintroduce manual blocking and seamless weapon switching?

remember, manual blocking has to be reintroduced with roughly the same amount of button / keybinding in order for the game to be compatible with console. meaning, "just add manual block" is not a good solution.

• Like 1

On 2019-09-11 at 8:21 PM, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

How about holding the weapon switch button switches the aim button to blocking? 

How about using the weapon switch button....switches your weapon? I'd really rather my weapons not switch unless I give the game an explicit command to do JUST that.

They only really need to do one thing; change the key binding from aiming to reloading to quick switch from melee to gun. That frees up the aim button to be used for blocking again.

As for quick melee, I was never really a fan of it, but if they were to re-introduce it they could just make that the default mash melee attack combo on weapons.

On 2019-09-13 at 1:07 AM, Sikelh said:

How about using the weapon switch button....switches your weapon? I'd really rather my weapons not switch unless I give the game an explicit command to do JUST that.

So you're saying you only want to be able to use your melee weapon if you actively select melee?........................ Yeah. They are not going to do that. 

On 2019-09-14 at 4:02 AM, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

So you're saying you only want to be able to use your melee weapon if you actively select melee?........................ Yeah. They are not going to do that. 

That's what quick melee was for. Actually switching weapon modes gives us more potential hotkey options as long as they have the sense to let us bind functions separately from each other and based on what weapon we have out. Which is a boon for controllers and pc players alike.

On 2019-09-14 at 9:35 PM, bubbabenali said:

Broken melee combos everywhere, clunky melee-/ gunfight for the sake of... stylish-fidgeting, or something...

DE only needs 2 more years to fix this melee mess. But rest asured - Maiming Strike will never be touched.

yeah...

if its not obvious already, im a big fan of warframes previous melee system. i want to like this new system introduced in phase one and until the actual phase one update debut, i did. DE gave us a lot of interesting concepts when the entire melee 3.0 system was announced. now it looks like the system seems to be heading toward a direction that feels clunky and complicated. i very much prefer the old system rather than the newly envisioned melee system.

again, this is only the case if they cant find a way to re-introduce manual block, and this is not to say that i dont like their seamless blade and gun combat vision.