Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You just had an amazing dream involving a Warframe update: What was the update?

Kingsmount

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Today I learned there isn't a size/word cap on the forum for posts...

GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY THAT IS LONG.

Well, yeah. And that would really be an equivalent of maybe 10 minutes of content in “Dream Time.” So there was a little (but “mainline”) Update about a month ago, which was more than two gigabytes. I thought that seemed pretty hefty. Lot of good stuff in there. 

But then I noticed some “community” post complaining about more than twenty gigs?

So I just reviewed the process of how the app “copies” itself with the newly downloaded “content,” then the new copy deletes the old one. 

Of course it was just a couple months before then, that the whole thing had been streamlined down. So I was pretty surprised to find it back up over forty gigabytes.

The only way I could account for it was by figuring that the new engine supplement has been fully deployed, and is just not using a lot of its assets yet.

Complicated business. But (even without any “date” yet), I just had a look over the most recent devstream review page today, and they at least have a breakdown for how Empyrean is going to roll out. (I can’t remember there ever having been an update that required three phases to complete before). It’s really ... pretty mind-blowing ... I guess ...

https://www.warframe.com/news/devstream-131

Edited by (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax

On 2019-09-12 at 6:29 AM, Kingsmount said:

Say you just woke up from the best dream of your life, it was so real you could taste it, and it was about a Warframe update.   What would that update have been?

Go all out, what is the *best* update you can think of?   I'm a fan of sharing ideas and am interested in hearing the opinions of others.

This is a fun topic, try not to take things overtly serious, though for the most part the ideas are genuine; just longshots.  Whatever you can dream of for your fantasy update,  or just a fun comment on a warframe related dream scenario.

My own dream update:

Reveal hidden contents

Replayability:

• (New Edit:  Someone else posted this and now it's part of my dream update too:  https://forums.warframe.com/topic/999580-suggestion-rogue-lite-game-mode/ )

Raids.  Obviously, the topic is common.  But raids in any form really need to come back, and the sooner the better and preferably in a way that feels more distinct from normal mission nodes.  Lephantis and the Jordas Golem for example could be worked into Raids rather than nodes,  with a  rework to make their fights more satisfying,  and other raids end in similar large scale enemies,  roughly similar to fighting Orbs or Eidolons.  In a way, Orbs and Eidolons are similar to raid content,  but a Raid boss should be even more grand in scale and mechanics.  Take a page from Shadow of the Colossus for example with large enemies with dynamic weak points we can scale in different ways.

Reveal hidden contents

Example idea of a whole new type of raid boss encounter I've not seen in any game:   Phase 1 (3-10 minutes):  A space kraken (roughly similar to Lephantis, but the next tier of threat up from that).   When the phase is completed,  the camera flips upside down, the ceiling becomes the new ground and the frames reorient themselves.    Tentacle threats are now coming from both the ceiling and the ground.  New enemy type:  Gazers.  Large infested floating eyes covered in tendrils with gaping mouths at their backs.  The tendrils are mixes of tentacles, maws, and eye stalks.  Behavior wise they'd be similar to drones so it shouldn't be too much effort, but size wise they'd be around the dimensions of a behemoth with a similar weak spot mechanic involving the eye.   When a gazer is slain they burst in red fog that deals heavy damage,  causing a gazer to explode on a tentacle or causing a tentacle to erupt in an area of fog causes the tentacle to shrivel up, accelerating the end of phase 2 (10-20 minutes (13-30 total)).

Phase 3 (10-20 minutes (23-50 total): causes a shift similar to the ceiling shift, but the shift is towards the side making the players fall horizontally without a camera adjustment as a far wall opens up revealing a creature similar in design to the gazers, scaled up a lot with a multitude of tendrils growing out from the top and bottom up to fan out over the ceiling and floor of this space.   Its back maw spews out gazers every so often and makes high damage bite attacks to players that get too close to that side.    Eye stalks, tentacles, and maw-stalks squirm out from the floor and ceiling in here.  The chamber is lined with platforms to stand on, top and bottom.   Bullet jumping to a platform above you reorients you to that plane.   The core's main eye occasionally charges sweeping beams that will require that you leap up to the opposite plane to avoid them.   In the mean time the maw at the back is wide open taking in energy with a pull effect, but if you stay out of the pull range the open maw is a weak point.  Once the beam ends, the maw closes and the eye becomes a weak point until it closes.   Between beams the eye occasionally opens half way to fire occasional pot shots of smaller beams.    Beyond the core, the array of eye stalks, tentacles, and maw-stalks are still threats keeping you on your toes.

I would include multi-layered health bars, because the smaller the value a single bar is representing the more visible the damage you're dealing becomes, which is more satisfying.

You can also include a Total Damage Dealt statistic displayed in the corner, plus a "My Damage" stat below or above that.   You could also see a Cuphead style progression meter every time you see the respawn UI showing how far into the fight you currently are.

A raid could also be a great excuse for us to fight a full on actual full-sized sentient.  From what I can tell, the sentients were huge.  It could be the penultimate eidolon fight in raid form.

Other concepts include:  Sand Worms on desert territories.  A giant mecha.  A battleship (which for a separate event could be skinned into a pirate ship in a Space Pirates vs Space Ninjas event where you pick a side like invasions)

But generally the point of Raids are to be engaging fight or mission sequences different from normal content, and be both mechanically and visually stimulating, making you more inclined to want to repeat it and make it take longer to tire of it,  combined with relevant and suitable rewards to make it worth the time which adds to the positive experience and desire to repeat. The more value you get out of your time, the more enjoyable that content can be provided it's actually good content as opposed to a chore.  In the example I gave you can imagine how the map design could be laid out to accentuate an epic scale,  while map/camera inversions and the tiered phases provide mechanical intrigue, while also being treated to a new unique enemy type not seen before (Gazers).    After you first beat that raid, you might get random invasions like with enemy syndicates where Gazer(s) can appear in other missions, to add to the game diversity and not just relegate a new enemy type to the one mission/raid, which in squads can also provide an opportunity for people who haven't yet done the raid to see the gazers and get a spark of curiosity to lure them towards doing the raid themselves too. 

Raid rewards can be unique items, frames, any random relic made radiant like with ESO, and of course Arcanes with slightly higher odds of higher value arcanes (Quality vs the Quantity of tridolon hunts).  The reward pool can be drawn from multiple times throughout the raid at the completion of milestones, roughly balanced around at least one draw every 5 minutes, and beating the boss gives 4 extra draws. Failing the raid leaves only one in four drops, prioritizing higher value drops.  So losing doesn't feel completely crippling and an incredible waste of time while still heavily rewarding completion.  The result is that doing a Raid respects and values your time, which more games overall really need to do, and Warframe definitely tends not to.

Quests.  The shift away from doing quests is very obvious and has a tangible sense of loss. Whether they're tied to a frame or not, quests are content and provide a convenience space to handle abnormal mission types that aren't necessarily story driven so much as just unique.  Dog Days for example could be a Quest.  Though it could also be a Node in the Rathuum branch, or on Earth revealed after you've completed Rathuum. Stress free modes like dog days would be a welcome addition.   But more appropriately,  missions more in the line of Octavia's Anthem.  Weird, cool, thematic, not something you'd expect out of a node.  Octavia's Anthem, Chains of Harrow.  Great quests that added new experiences not found in nodes while not being overtly cinematic like mainline story quests and presumably less effort.   

And any quest warframe is so, so much more preferable to all the warframes lately that are put behind grindwalls so bad that it's more efficient to grind relics for plat instead of grinding the frame itself, or outright held out of your reach behind standing walls such as Hildryn.  But then again, maybe that's the main reason why we're not getting quest warframes anymore. 

Quests can also be made retroactively to frames, if you want to tie a quest to a frame.   From then on the quest can reward the frame, and if you already have the frame then secondary rewards could still be of interest, not to mention playing for the new content alone.

New Game+ / Node+.  Once you complete star chart and unlock arbitrations,  you unlock an ability to activate a void gate that resets your star chart.  You start with the frame and equipment you had on you when you went through the gate,   all planets are upscaled to a higher level.   You can now find your previous frames and weapons suspended in containers within missions,  and you have operator from the start.  Void Fissures can appear in any of these Node+ missions.   Each time you beat a Node+ for the first time, you get a bundle of random resources which can include Forma, Potatoes, and Radiant Relics along with lumps of standard materials,  and you can choose the old lower level node when you select that node again in the future, choosing between the normal mission or Node+.    These rewards are important, to give a reason to do NG+ and make progressing through the new high level chart feel worth the time and energy and it can serve a very legitimate role in helping players who got to that post-star chart game the necessary help to get them over the hump where there's a new learning curve to doing high level content, but it's not so much a learning curve as a lack of needed resources such as potatoes, forma, and slots as the game now becomes less about star chart and more about optimization and collection.  This can be a barrier to entry that prevents some players from continuing to play.

A better idea would be that you don't reset the star chart so much as unlock the menu to choose between normal and Node+, but node+ options are in sequence like chart progression normally is,  the Node+ progression altering each node to have a golden sheen.   A Node+ might also have improved drop tables, or at least drop chances.  Condition Overload for example could go from a 1/8,000 chance to a 1/2,000... 

Node+ also provides an outlet for the optimized endgame players who like to point out how Star Chart is too easy and I've seen it mentioned how it can be annoying that it takes half an hour to an hour for an Endless mission to get more challenging for them.   So a Node+ endless would alleviate that problem by effectively skipping the first 30-60 minutes they'd normally go through.  With appropriately scaled rewards.

NIGHTWAVE.   Nightwave is a nightmare as it is in its current form.  It actually serves to discourages players if you don't feel like you'll be able to reach the end tier rewards in time, so why bother?   Meanwhile it is also causing rampant burnout.   

However... there is an Easy solution...  Abandon the concept of Nightwave being a timed exclusive.  ALL nightwaves should be accessible at ANY time.  In quests, have a second tab for Nightwave, in there you'll see a tile for Wolf of Saturn.  Season 1 Break for the intermission nightwave between Wolf of Saturn and the next,  and so on.  Timed exclusives are pretty horrible in almost any case.  Of you feel the need to discourage overlap, you can select a Nightwave to be "Active", and progress goes towards that.

Boom, pow, just like that the Nightwave is no longer something people feel the need to burn themselves out on,  and nobody is turned off of the game because they missed a season for any reason or missed too much of the season that when they started playing a gain they feel like there is no point in trying, or being discouraged to the point of not returning in general.

This also means returning players at any time will be able to access the backlog of Nightwaves through the quest tab and have a host of content to work on!  AND it means that work put into the nightwave is enjoyed by *everyone* at any time, new or returning without missing out.

Another point of contention:  I fail to see any reason what so ever that Nightwave has to replace Alerts.   Alerts and Nightwave coincide like peanut butter and jelly,  where Alerts are random missions players can do for random rewards, while Cred earned in Nightwave is spent in the cred shop for specific items.   Nightwave is also a much more toxic experience to new "young" (sub-"endgame" / non-veteran) players who need to be spending cred on critical aura mods, not leaving spare cred for other important things like nitain, or just fun things like the weapon skins or helmets.  Alerts provide the opportunity to snag aura mods or helmets they wouldn't otherwise get,  while Nightwave is there to work for specific things more reliably.

A random system vs a reliable system.  They work together.

General playability:

Nullifiers do not purge buffs or active abilities, but put them on pause.  The drone on the bubble is centered above the bubble and has an actual hit box instead of things seeming to phase right through it.  The bubble has flat health so certain weapons don't feel useless against it.  Weird that the Corpus have such widely available tech capable of neutralizing space demigods in the first place, but that train came and went long ago I guess.

Leech and Parasitic units fire a physical tether at the player in order to function.  Tether can miss like any other projectile.   Alternatively,  it just has a tether visual, and requires line of sight.

Visible bubbles showing the area of effect of Scrambus and Comba type units.  Also with fire eximus units when they use their burst,  I still can never quite tell if I'm safe or not because the effect is so huge and erratic.

Replace most immunities with resistances.  Instead of an enemy being immune to a stun, downgrade it to a slow instead, or half the time they're stunned.  Instead of being killed outright by an effect, just apply an amount of damage as though attacked normally.  Instead of being immune to Peacemaker for example,  they could have an Adaptation like effect that resets after 5-10 seconds.  Show a floating text stating "Resisted" when such a downgrade occurs,  or "Immune" in the hopefully few cases that remain after such an update.

Reasoning: This is *Warframe* the game should be more about the warframes, not making most frames feel like  garbage in higher level content where frames get shut down constantly forcing you to use meta frames and meta weapons.  In what world is that good satisfying game design, it's a direct roadblock to player fun and core gameplay elements.  It feels like it robs us of agency, and is a shallow excuse for "difficulty"- it's not difficulty, it's just a slap in the face.   These tweaks keep the spirit of the original intentions while making them feel way better to play against.

Similarly, remove the missiles that instantly pop you out of archwing, what was anyone even thinking adding in a feature like that?  Then again, you could ask the same about the above too.  Big surprise when the only reason anyone uses archwing is to travel, so the only archwing that's specifically good at that is the only one people use.

Augment slot.   Frames really need to make use of all their slots, most frames just don't have room for anything put in just for fun or convenience with all the mandatory mods there are.   That would leave an opening for 1 more extra place in the UI to put an additional slot of some sort, if any.  Perhaps just two Exilus slots, Aura, and Augment.   Addiing an Augment slot wouldn't even effect balance very much, since augment slots don't directly contribute to base statistics.  Augments are basically just bandaids for frame abilities anyway, making bad abilities more usable in many cases, or feeling like it was a core part of an ability that should have been there from the start (Such as directing Octavia's resonator.  Tap to direct, hold to recast).  Meanwhile the extra exilus slot would similarly minimally effect balance since exilus mods are crazy niche and any useful benefits are small such as 15% range,  DE does seem to want people to use the weirdo mods such as jump height, they added a whole extra suit of them for whatever reason.  So give us another exilus slot to make use of them.   Seriously, what's the worse that can happen in this PvE game?  Any power creep would be minimal, while greatly increasing usability and engagement, something that if current warframe youtubers are anything to go by... is  lacking.

Frame/Weapon slots.  Earning slots every now and then when you get mastery rank ups would be very helpful to early players.  There's just not enough to go around and hurts new player enjoyment of the game.  I've tried to get around five people to play but none of them stuck around because of reasons like this, and they get put off by the impression of the game being very "Pay to enjoy" one said, citing all the locked colors and slot limitations as things that sapped her interest away.   I'd also recommend unlocking the classic color pallet by default.  It's absurd that the classic pallet isn't even discounted when you own a row of it to start,  and the mental drain of seeing all the locked colors to the sides.  Just unlock the pallet, no need to be stingy over it.

Very optional / pure fantasy:  A blanket improvement to all warframe durations, ranges, and damage scaling.   Abilities that rely on a duration often feel next to unusable without duration mods,  ranges always feel too short without range mods, like you have to maximize that stat for them to feel good to use.  Just a nudge up would help a lot,  and damage abilities are almost always useless (Such as Ballistic Battery, Chroma's breath, Ember's fireball, and similar abilities) unless they can be improved with mods like Exalted abilities (Gara's spear and sword, or actual exalted weapons.),  or scaling abilities (Such as Octavia's mallet).  I'd like to see the aura mod energy siphon removed and made a default feature, which has a small impact on mid to late tier players who have their Zenuriks and accessibility to energy pizzas, or arcane energizes, but helps smooth the experience for newer players out.  Plus general convenience too, it'd just be nice to have and I don't really see any reason why it shouldn't be the case when it'd improve things without taking away from the experience at all.  

New Orbiter Segment: The Auction House, or you could call it Maroo's Bazaar.  Very simple, integrates Warframe Market into Warframe itself with ingame UI and access. If you want to buy something, you can flag it to effectively have an open invite sent.  The other party is notified of the request, and they can accept with a Join Now or Join Later.  Join Now leaves your mission, Join Later joins after your mission.  It forms a squad and takes you both to Maroo's Bazaar or the seller's dojo, and removes the item listing

New Foundry Segment: The Orokin Chronometer.    Consumes [A resource] to speed up crafting timers by 20-50-80%.  Chronometer can be crafted using resources found in the Void and the Derelict.  Fuel resource can be found in Arbitrations, Sorties, and endless missions in the Void.   While the Chronometer is active, Rushing is less expensive.

Also very pure fantasy:  Reoccuring payment option that buys each 30-day booster, plus a bundle of [Chronometer fuel], priced at 9.99 or 14.99.  This should also discount Prime Accessories by the same amount as its value is diminished by this.  But in general a "subscribe for a better experience" would be very welcome,  not everyone can handle the raw grind and lack of respect for people's time, which is a byproduct of being a free to play game.   I think this is a good middle ground while "totally not being a subscription" with the only new addition being the chronometer that is accessible to anyone just like anything else.

Archwing improvements:  Doubled ranges and areas of effect.  Maps made less cluttered and claustrophobic.  Movement less floaty.   All enemies replaced by unique enemies that aren't awkwardly renamed normal enemies,  becoming actual ships and vehicles though one ship type could be a drone carrier that dispenses drones.   I'd rather not feel like I'm swatting at flies instead of being a space demigod attacking a fleet. 

Reduce enemy engagement ranges with hitscan or fast projectiles,  while further enemies use slower projectiles from a distance, though the projectiles are explosive and can be homing (missiles).   An enemy type might include a large forward cannon that creates a long line effect as it warms up to fire,  that's both visual and causes a light scaling DoT until the actual blast goes through.

Cosmetics:

A way to earn color pallets and instruments in-game.  A New Loka and Cephalon Suda mission type, respectively, seems fitting.  This shouldn't be that much of an ask when we can earn platinum anyway,  it's just a more hands on approach,  instead of time spent getting relics you focus time on specific missions for these instead.  It wouldn't even be more efficient if they're chosen at random, but it'd make you feel like you're more engaged with the game and less forced towards the shop, which creates a better relationship with the game.   Especially with all the content lately that feels designed to strong-arm you into buying things with plat instead of earning them, there's a general sense that DE is balancing things more and more around encouraging purchases becoming a little more EA-like.  Kind of pushing a lot of player's tolerance over the limit, though Nightwave doesn't help that either.

Hands-on control over superfluous frame aspects.   Such as Octavia's head fringe, Ember's mohawk,  Excalibur Umbra's hobo scarf, Wisp's scarf,  Mesa Prime's flappy legs,  coat tails, Trinity's insect thorax/butt,  and so on.   They seem to be handled separately from the frame anyway, considering the past week I keep noticing, very often, that they glitch out and wont disappear or are the only things that appear when looking at different skins.   

Give us the ability to selectively toggle these features on or off,  and I would highly recommend full customization similar to weapon sheath placement and regalia sizing.    Don't like Octavia's fringe?  Turn it off,  or resize it,  tilt it back,  turn it on a diagonal, anything.     This would be a HUGE improvement to fashionframing and general convenience as well, as these features often make it feel impossible to use syandanas effectively as they get in the way of things,  sometimes they just look bad and ruin a look,  sometimes they're just really annoying in how they clip awkwardly through things, even through the frame itself,  or some people are just put off by the physics.

Don't like Warframes that have particularly saintly posteriors?  Resize or add a modesty patch or scarf.  Don't like a random dangle that gets in the way of the same?  Resize it out of the way or turn it off,  the choice is all yours!  No more Wisp Battle for the Booty psuedo-controversy again!  

Resizing and adjusting armor pieces would also be greatly appreciated. 

Related to that:  We should be able to select Equinox's default form in the appearance tab, so we walk around as that form in our ship or relays, and start the mission in that form.

Orbiter Decoration class:  Pets.  Baby stage kavats or Kubrows,  plus tamed variants of wildlife critters.  Up to 3 pets can be placed at a time and they wander.

Special:

Testing Grounds / Player & Dev Tweaks.   Let players tweak warframes in various ways, like creating game modes.   Somewhat similar to in Overwatch custom game options where you can tweak heroes.   Let players share tweaks with a featured tweaks and a highest rated tweaks.  While playing with tweaks on you can't get rewards or play in public squads, or any squad with people who aren't using the same tweaks.  Even then, still no rewards.    Devs can release their own tweak sets, likely with custom changes not available to general players.  Effectively it would be similar to having a Private Test server,  and devs could see what the highest used/rated tweaks are and use that to inform their own opinions on potential updates,  as well as test upcoming changes to any frames (Dev Tweaks can be rated just like other tweaks could be).   New frames or weapons could also be released on Dev Tweaks to allow people to rate and talk about their kit ahead of time.

This update we are introducing a new planet, tailored entirely to end game players. Enemies you encounter won’t have levels, they will instead be “perfect versions” of themselves. Enemies will require the best weapons with strong mods, this experience will be hand crafted for end game players. Balanced around the expectations that you are a warframe veteran.

Also, we are no longer going to use rivens as a way to balance the game. Our balance team is going to from now on, change the stats on weaker guns instead of nerfing the rivens for weapons people actually like.

I can actually easily imagine DE converting space into an "open world".   Like a space sim,  fly specifically to the different planets/moons,  and enter the atmosphere over a node to fly in.

They could potentially make each node a physical location and the planet is an open world No Man's Sky style,  with the physical nodes located on the planet seeded when you enter atmosphere and generated as you approach.  The nodes could either still be randomized, or locked in place with a specific map (they could make use of their random generation tech to create a whole roguelike game mode/ mission type that isn't part of the open world, but a mission type accessed through your operator as a kind of focus training).

The Solar Rails would be "Fast Travel" points that launch you at sublight/FTL towards the other planets.   When you approach you'd see markers for all the other planets and locations,  so you just aim in that direction and zoom across the system to the desired location.

Players who want to travel similar to how we travel now could have a sort of autopilot feature that presents things the way we see them now.  You'd just have a different loading screen showing a "cutscene" of your travel.

As an actual open world you might be able to do thing slike mine asteroids, fish space whales, tranq aberrations,  fight enemy faction fleets/battlegroups / ships.  Ect.  

Would be a great open world for after the Infested faction open world.  A Space open world,  naturally with all factions within it.

It is more of an “Integration” than a “conversion,” but it is what they are working on. It is an “overhaul,” which will do (in relation to the “content” and its present state of organization and “mechanics”) what the “Specters of The Rail” Update did (and made new room for).

Just as with the present build-up, that “overhaul” was treated as something akin to a launch of a new game. It incorporated about the first half of the Cinematic which had been used for a “Trailer” (since the 2013 E3 Convention), into the actual “content” of the game (as an “introduction” into it).

With the present build-up to a new launch, even Sony is putting “Teasers” for (the coming, “overhauled”) Warframe into Cinemas (where they have control over the “Content” that precedes a movie produced & distributed by them, as was the case with it being played in “Select Locations” during the trailers before the latest Spiderman Flick).

An unofficial statement made in an interview established a target for the new integration, spearheaded with the newly added introductory “content” as being early February, while the whole of it is so massive that it is set for being deployed in three parts.

https://www.warframe.com/news/devstream-131

Im order to make all of this possible, “DE” did something really radical. They actually supplementally changed the (Evolution) Game Engine itself.

5gLF9Er.jpg

tQ5JD4m.jpg

It’s sort of funny to think of replacing “king” with “evolution” (as the name of the engine), to produce,

”Evolution is dead!

Long Live Evolution!”

Edited by (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax

5 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

@(PS4)xxav1xl6ivax

It is commonly known forum etiquette to use spoiler tags for large posts, so you don't force people to scroll an insurmountable amount everytime.

Point well taken. I have [day] dreamed of having an Editor for years now. But that is really a more far-fetched fantasy than even any non-waking Dream. The role seems all but non-existent within the “New Media.”

Short of that, an off-line app for pre-formatting would be ideal. 

In all sincerity, would you happen to have any suggestions along those lines?