Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

At What Part of The Game Do You Think The Majority of NEW Players Quit The Game?

VotumPrime

Dunno, maybe that Pursuit archwing mission on Saturn (or where is it?)?

Could also be when they enter PoE for the first time at night, see those giant creatures, wonder why they do no damage to these creatures, google them, find out that they need to make *some spoilers*, google how to beat these creatures effectively, realize how "far" from the experienced players they are and leave depressed.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, VotumPrime said:

so that things stay interesting and keep these new players from leaving forever

Literally impossible. Some people just do not like the game, and that is fine. Warframe can't be all things to all people.

So if you were asking for people who have actually quit the game and at which point they quit, that is actual data for DE to peruse and start weighing X people vs. Y resources needed to correct the issue.

Speculation is meaningless.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, --Brandt-- said:

Judging by Reddit and being in Twitch streams, a ton of new players complain about the crafting times and waiting 3 days for a frame. So they stop playing.

This should be expected from a FREE to play game.  Now if you had paid money up front to play the game, then I could see that time gate as a problem.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, --Brandt-- said:

Judging by Reddit and being in Twitch streams, a ton of new players complain about the crafting times and waiting 3 days for a frame. So they stop playing.

You might be right. These long craft times might need to be adjusted some day.

11 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

This should be expected from a FREE to play game.  Now if you had paid money up front to play the game, then I could see that time gate as a problem.  

I think Warframe would have died if it was a pay to play game lol.

• Like 1

I'd say when they run out of slots and see you need to buy plat etc to add more.  Many newbies will see the 2 warframe slots as a serious negative, especially when you consider the design of the market is still heavily pushing the plat options for new frames..

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bl1te said:

Dunno, maybe that Pursuit archwing mission on Saturn (or where is it?)?

Could also be when they enter PoE for the first time at night, see those giant creatures, wonder why they do no damage to these creatures, google them, find out that they need to make *some spoilers*, google how to beat these creatures effectively, realize how "far" from the experienced players they are and leave depressed.

Sending them straight to the plains might not be the best idea I guess.

1 minute ago, elmetnuter said:

The first time I saw the mod screen for my warframe I was convinced that it was why I would keep playing. I can imagine the contrary to be true.

Any additional info is helpful.

1 minute ago, Snowyamur said:

I would say when they hit Mastery Rank 3; maybe that's when the decline starts to happen? You farm and grind for a couple of new Warframes and weapons, level them all up to 30, and then you slowly realize that this is the entirety of the game.

Don't get me wrong, me having played this game for years and seeing the drastic improvement made since it's initial release, there's A LOT more to do in this game, but I think the grinding discourages most new players from committing more time to the game. People want to get into the action immediately, and if it's behind hours of grinding, that's what usually drives them away.

But as @DatDarkOne mentioned, because this game's free-to-play, that should be expected. In that case, I guess it's just a matter of how much patience players have to play video games.

How do you think they can fix this? Do you think they should put more action inbetween grinds?

2 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I'd say when they run out of slots and see you need to buy plat etc to add more.  Many newbies will see the 2 warframe slots as a serious negative, especially when you consider the design of the market is still heavily pushing the plat options for new frames..

Oh that is definitely one of them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VotumPrime said:

State what part of the game you think it is and why do you think they quit at that part and what DE should do to remedy it so that things stay interesting and keep these new players from leaving forever. This can be moved to feedback later.

... The people.

What DE can do? Switch default matchmaking from "Public" to "Invite Only".

Edited by Uhkretor
  • Like 3

Looking at the crafting times, seeing how many frames/weapons there are. Seeing that all items can be bought on the market/with plat (even in your arsenal). Then what felt like overwhelming amount of time grinding, collecting etc, to wait. At least that's what the 4-6 friends who didn't get past MR3 said to me when I asked why they quit.

Hide weapons/frames when you're in arsenal should be a feature. Also showing where you can get them in the starchart would be a great asset to helping new players, same with weapons if they drop from anywhere. I understand why crafting times are there, and why they take so long (promotes spending plat, thus money for new players), but there should be a way to tone that down to help bring them in and get them hooked.

Warframe isn't a bad game, far from it - but it needs major tweaks here and there to make it more newbie friendly. And giving more information is one of those major tweaks.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Warframe can't be all things to all people.

It sure is trying though.

I mean how many tags do we have now: Farming Simulator, Fishing Simulator, Minining Simulator, PvE, PvP, Open World, Guns, Loot, Fashion, Guitar Hero Space Edittion, Sports (Lunaro), 2D Fighting Game (Frame Fighter), Bullet Hell (Wyrmius), Econamy (Trade Chat), Memes, Hunting Conservation Simulator, MMO-ish, RPG-ish...and whatever else I can't recall at the moment.

PS: Ah right, Parkour...sort of. Oh and I guess Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag Space Edittion (Railjack), but that's still SoonTM.

Edited by AlphaPHENIX
  • Like 1

For those interested in PC achievement data:

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/Warframe/achievements/

Considering the amount of people playing on Steam daily (tens of thousands), I would say it is fair assessment of PC platform as whole.

It seems majority of people quit within first 10 hours/before reaching MR3. Plus majority of players who reach MR3/10h mark quit before 100h mark.

Edited by groznez
typo

25 minutes ago, (PS4)CodyXSavageX said:

The lack of understanding the game 

They're working on a better tutorial.

23 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Being left alone with no guidence. In this world of hand-holding, Warframe just throwing you out into the solar system once you finish the quick and poor tutorial is insanely daunting.

They should make clan boards a thing. So that they can apply to clans themselves.

21 minutes ago, Tinklzs said:

Looking at the crafting times, seeing how many frames/weapons there are. Seeing that all items can be bought on the market/with plat (even in your arsenal). Then what felt like overwhelming amount of time grinding, collecting etc, to wait. At least that's what the 4-6 friends who didn't get past MR3 said to me when I asked why they quit.

Hide weapons/frames when you're in arsenal should be a feature. Also showing where you can get them in the starchart would be a great asset to helping new players, same with weapons if they drop from anywhere. I understand why crafting times are there, and why they take so long (promotes spending plat, thus money for new players), but there should be a way to tone that down to help bring them in and get them hooked.

Warframe isn't a bad game, far from it - but it needs major tweaks here and there to make it more newbie friendly. And giving more information is one of those major tweaks.

Yes this certainly is enough to put some people off, especially when so many of them are fed up with the pay to win from other MMOs.

20 minutes ago, Snowyamur said:

For starters, make the building times for weapons, Warframes, and general equipment less than they are now. It's about engagement when playing a video game, right? If players have to wait for hours just to try something out that's locked behind a timer, they're going to lose that engagement and move on to something else. Giving them the action now has more positive impact on their experience because they know they can just jump straight into trying something new out, and that's what should be focused on. But, long timers because it compels players to buy Platinum, which gives DE money, so it's understandable since this game is free, but it sucks.

Second thing that should happen is to make resource drops more bountiful. Part of engagement involves players getting something they really want, and the sooner they get it, the better and more happy they'll be. Problem is, this is a short-term positive, because once they get what they want, they stop, and making things have a rare chance at dropping (Condition Overload anyone?) compels them to play more, which is what is desired by DE for their players. They want their players to keep playing, and what they have in-game already works, but again, this is just a suggestion.

Absolutely. This is an old system that they used back when they had less content but now they have a lot. It would make sense to reduce those times to 4 hours to 1 day.

9 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

It sure is trying though.

I mean how many tags do we have now: Farming Simulator, Fishing Simulator, Minining Simulator, PvE, PvP, Open World, Guns, Loot, Fashion, Guitar Hero Space Edittion, Sports (Lunaro), 2D Fighting Game (Frame Fighter), Bullet Hell (Wyrmius), Econamy (Trade Chat), Memes, Hunting Conservation Simulator, MMO-ish, RPG-ish...and whatever else I can't recall at the moment.

That might be a good thing but it's kind of effort in the wrong places.

8 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Best guess is to go by what the trophies/achievements say IMO.

If you look at the available data, which, let's assume, is statistically relevant, we can see that 70% quit before even having 10 hours logged in. That says a lot I think.

I opened a thread about that some time ago:

Thank you for sharing this.

4 minutes ago, groznez said:

Considering the amount of people playing on Steam daily (tens of thousands), I would say it is fair assessment of PC platform as whole.

It seems majority of people quit within first 10 hours/before reaching MR3. Plus majority of players who reach MR3/10h mark quit before 100h mark.

Do you know at what part they quit?

Depends on the player. Know a guy who quit after trying to get rhino because he didn't like the wait time and didn't want to pay to speed it up. This could be adjusted so starting frames take less then 3 days to make. (mag, volt, excel and arguably frost, rhino and oberon).

Some players stop after hitting rank 2 because the story just sort of dead ends for a moment and expects you to continue playing and explore before moving on. this could be amended by just having a progress bar or mini mission to tell you what you need to do before you can move forward.

I personally took a break right around the end of the war within quest as it was a lot to take in at a given point then sort of went dead for a while. Easy fix would be to add in more mini story quests outside of the optional ones for various warframes. (Octavia, nekros, atlas and mirage I believe.)

My bf stopped after Fortuna dropped because he got tired of how many grind walls it took to reach certain goals. A simple fix for this would be to make each level have reward worth getting rather then locking everything behind the final tiers of a grind.

Night wave was another example of a grind wall that was just no fun, though it has been amended slightly to account for some of the issues that were brought up.

There are lots of stopping points in warframe so its hard to say where a new player or any player for that mater may call it a break or call it off entirely. While I don't believe the stats for where new players stop has been made public its hard to estimate too much where the drop off is so it makes it that much harder to try to suggest improvements for a singular part vs the game as an entirety.

6 minutes ago, groznez said:

It's a little weird that only 57% of the Steam players got the "Secrets of the Orokin" achievement, considering the only thing you have to do is find one mod ...

Not sure what to think about that. Maybe just people that checked the game out quickly and wrote it off without even trying?.. idk

15 minutes ago, groznez said:

No idea about specific mission or whatever.  I know nearly everyone I ever invited quit in less than a month, even after I offered to explain anything I could.  Warframe is a giant tangled mass of interconnected systems, and to a new player the learning curve isn't just steep.  It does loops.  "Wait, so I level up and that makes my character a little better.  But I'm at level 30, and you are level 5, and you have three times as much health as I do.  Mods?  Yeah, I equipped the ones I got already.  What are you talking about?  Mods get stronger?  How do I level those up?  I have to feed mods to my mods to make them grow?  O.O  How does that make any sense?"

• Like 1