The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

At What Part of The Game Do You Think The Majority of NEW Players Quit The Game?

VotumPrime

19 hours ago, FrostDragoon said:

Granted, this is based on the assumption that DE actually wants to keep their arbitrary long build times. I'd rather remove build times entirely and remove the cash-grabby, p2w-looking "Rush" option outright.

I see that part as well.

On 2019-10-25 at 1:26 PM, Ephemiel said:

Yeah, you're utterly hopeless. Somehow implying that Warframe does better than Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2, Code Vein, FFXIV, etc.

I think they mean in terms of some of the mechanics and the fact that the feel is somewhat better. But i see mostly why you would say that.

I think I spend more time watching youtube and the wiki to figure things out than playing. But coming from more survival games I am used to minimal hand holding. But that in its self is daunting for new players.  

I made way to many mistakes in warframe.  I am MR 10 now.  I just unlocked Saturn lol.  

Like all games that offer crafting I have just stuck with that model.  Make stuff. Constantly at my foundry making things.  Anything and everything.  Then running missions to make more things.  I have sooo many weapons.  

But I suck at using them.  I'm not great in missions. I didn't play the game.  Instead I grind forma to make weapons and frames better.  

But that does not make you a decent player.  I have so many tricked out weapons and toys to play with but cant even manage a proper slide attack.

But I do this in every game. 

I am now at a point where is just die during missions. 

If I just stuck with the Braton and a sword or basic stuff and practiced like others told me to do then I would be less frustrated.  

I'm not a quitter though. But in all seriousness if I learned more about elemental types and how and when to use them I would be in a much better state.

3 hours ago, Hexsing said:

I think I spend more time watching youtube and the wiki to figure things out than playing. But coming from more survival games I am used to minimal hand holding. But that in its self is daunting for new players.  

I made way to many mistakes in warframe.  I am MR 10 now.  I just unlocked Saturn lol.  

Like all games that offer crafting I have just stuck with that model.  Make stuff. Constantly at my foundry making things.  Anything and everything.  Then running missions to make more things.  I have sooo many weapons.  

But I suck at using them.  I'm not great in missions. I didn't play the game.  Instead I grind forma to make weapons and frames better.  

But that does not make you a decent player.  I have so many tricked out weapons and toys to play with but cant even manage a proper slide attack.

But I do this in every game. 

I am now at a point where is just die during missions. 

If I just stuck with the Braton and a sword or basic stuff and practiced like others told me to do then I would be less frustrated.  

I'm not a quitter though. But in all seriousness if I learned more about elemental types and how and when to use them I would be in a much better state.

For elemental, you don't have to get too fancy. First of all, if you're frame can run Corrosive Projection, do it. Secondly, lots of frames have armor strip as part of their kit these days. If yours does, you can probably focus on something other than Corrosive (though it's still strong vs Grineer). Otherwise, Corrosive + Fire or Cold, but preferably not Blast, is a pretty general purpose element that's good against most things. Radiation + Viral is too, except certain things (like Heavy Gunners). That's probably the "tl:dr" version.

Learning how to min-max them can be a lot more involved, especially if you know what faction you'll be going against ahead of time. Learning when to use status weapons and when to use crit weapons plays into this too, and your frame's capacity for armor stripping will as well (Frost, Ash, Saryn, etc). Inversely, if your frame has a damage amplifier, that might influence it the other way (like Nova, Chroma, Rhino, Octavia, Banshee, etc). As a general rule, if you lack armor stripping or damage boosting on the frame, I would lean toward status weapons. The scaling on Crit with those multipliers gets so ridiculous that heavy status effects isn't so necessary. Ofc, you could use a hybrid weapon if you just want something more general purpose. Hybrids generally don't tend to have as high of top end potential, but they are certainly enough for the star chart. It's also worth noting that if you're playing in a squad and coordinating your CP auras correctly, you can skip most of the status stuff outright in favor of those boosting frames and crit weapons. Nova + CP + Lex Prime is one easy example that is pretty affordable and accessible to most players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrostDragoon said:

For elemental, you don't have to get too fancy. First of all, if you're frame can run Corrosive Projection, do it. Secondly, lots of frames have armor strip as part of their kit these days. If yours does, you can probably focus on something other than Corrosive (though it's still strong vs Grineer). Otherwise, Corrosive + Fire or Cold, but preferably not Blast, is a pretty general purpose element that's good against most things. Radiation + Viral is too, except certain things (like Heavy Gunners). That's probably the "tl:dr" version.

Learning how to min-max them can be a lot more involved, especially if you know what faction you'll be going against ahead of time. Learning when to use status weapons and when to use crit weapons plays into this too, and your frame's capacity for armor stripping will as well (Frost, Ash, Saryn, etc). Inversely, if your frame has a damage amplifier, that might influence it the other way (like Nova, Chroma, Rhino, Octavia, Banshee, etc). As a general rule, if you lack armor stripping or damage boosting on the frame, I would lean toward status weapons. The scaling on Crit with those multipliers gets so ridiculous that heavy status effects isn't so necessary. Ofc, you could use a hybrid weapon if you just want something more general purpose. Hybrids generally don't tend to have as high of top end potential, but they are certainly enough for the star chart. It's also worth noting that if you're playing in a squad and coordinating your CP auras correctly, you can skip most of the status stuff outright in favor of those boosting frames and crit weapons. Nova + CP + Lex Prime is one easy example that is pretty affordable and accessible to most players.

This is good advise for more new players.  For sure.  I am good now.  Just wish I would have known this much earlier.  I love denfense missions.  Which is basically how I did what I did and leveled my weapons.  

Still suck in a lot of situations.  Like darned slide attacks.  

I main Nyx and Nekros mainly.  With a hint of Wisp here and there.  

Nyx can strip armor with my modified Pacifying bolts.  So I usually use other elements for her like toxin, gas etc.  Because she can already bypass shields and armor with one hit.  

But I really appreciate the info.  Because its the one thing I needed.

Also.  The modding of status weapons vs crit.  I know now. But. I didnt know then.  Knowing the difference between the two are needed and not So well explained unless you Google everything or watch vids.

4 hours ago, Rahlence said:

I've seen a LOT of people quit around MR2-3.  If they make it past that point, the next heavy loss is somewhere around MR8-9.
That's just from my experience mentoring new players and when they stop showing up for whatever reason. 

Very true. Most of the people I know leave at the MR 9 test. Due too the stealth mechanics.  

But you are correct.  Those appear to be when my friends who have played left.  I had someone leave after the pistol aiming test. 6 I think.  And the parkour test.   

Its the 24 hours before you can remaster or retry.  So some people dont progress for days or weeks.  This sends people running.  People are used to instant levels.  Which they get in other games.

• 1 month later...

Actual new player here (31 hours), and there are several moments where I thought "existence is pain" and considered quitting. 

• Crafting times (and time in general)

This actually did make me quit, a couple of years ago when I played on consoles. Waiting hours to days to make something is ridiculous, and the fact you can pay irl money to buy an in-game currency to speed up the process makes it feel p2w or like a mobile game, which obviously makes people not want to play anymore.

In addition, a lot of either money (for platinum) or grinding is needed to progress. Many players are fairly young, and so do not have much in terms of money. And to new players to the genre, the time required for grinding stuff is daunting, to say the least. Not to mention simply not feasible in many cases, as people have jobs, schools, social interactions and other games that require time being taken up. This is probably the number 1 reason for new players quitting.

• The Mars Junction

I recently got back into the game a few days ago (day 6 today), on PC this time, and am enjoying it a lot. However, this was the least enjoyable thing ever, and I am convinced that whoever made scanning 3 cephalon fragments on Mars a requirement to use the junction there has no idea what the word 'fun' means, and has likely gotten it confused with the word 'tedious'. It adds nothing of value to the game, and serves only to kill new player's interest in the game. Of my 6 days playing so far, I spent the first 2 doing the quests, having fun, and trying to figure out how the game works. The next 2 days were spent trying to find the damned cephalon fragments. They spawned infrequently in stupid places, and I didn't even know what they looked like until 1 popped up on my radar (on earth). I should imagine a fair amount of new players look at this and nope out.

• No idea what to do

Finally, many new players have no idea how to get better at the game. What mods do they use? What weapons do they use? How do they beat _? What frame(s) do they use? Are they supposed to use multiple frames? How do clans work? The game offers no answers. Which is why I've been stuck at the Ceres --> Jupiter junction for the last couple of days.

Some people have replied in the thread saying that platinum can be earned without paying for it (I have no idea how, apart from trade, and even then I have no idea what I can/should trade, for how much, etc.). Others have said to find a clan or just use recruiting chat to ask for help. The thing is, recruiting chat seems to just be general chat, which new players wouldn't know, and there's no actual recruiting going on, so new players (including myself) have no idea how to join one.

And before people reply, yes, I know I'm doing something wrong. The problem is that I don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong. I just don't know what I'm meant to be doing in general.

Edited by AyeJimmy123

On 2019-09-12 at 12:36 AM, VotumPrime said:

State what part of the game you think it is and why do you think they quit at that part and what DE should do to remedy it so that things stay interesting and keep these new players from leaving forever.

Well I can tell you from just recent experience: I did some marketing for warframe to three of my friends. They started playing - together - for around 6 hours. That was a few weeks ago, they didnt log in since. When I asked them "why, what didnt you like?". They all said same thing, the crafting and wait time for weapons and warframe. Then I remembered, when I started playing I did buy some plat from start and I did rush a few things in the beginning. If you are a new player and don't spend "some" money the game will just "make you quit" since you can't progress in a acceptable rate.

The change I would make is reduce the crafting time, from zero to max 30 min, on starter frames and weapon, up to M.rank 5 or so. At that point players are more invested into the game, have more stuff to play around with and can accept the 12-72 hour crafting.  

23 minutes ago, AyeJimmy123 said:

Cleared for space reason. 

Crafting times: I mean yes they can be annoying at times but is not that bad, I mean, you really NEED the thing you are crafting right now? Because 99/100 times you can wait the craft time no problem. It seems more a problem about being impatient than a problem of p2w. Again, I started playing around Feb and I did not spent a single penny until late game, starting and try to adjust with what you had is what I found the most fun. 

Mars Junction: I mean is that really hard to go look up what they are? I agree that is not the most fun things ever but come on, if I get a mission that says like "find 10 x materials" and I don't know what it is I go look it up or play for myself and try to find it. I don't remember it being particularly hard, when I did it last year for the first time it took me and a friend's like 20 min total. 

Don't know what to do: I mean why you really NEED to min-max from day one? Why having a learning curve is bad? I discovered myself that shield is bad compared to hp by testing, by playing and trying mods. Imo trying yourself is one of the most fun things in the game, if a person don't like this imo they have more a competitive behavior that does not really belong in WF. 

Edited by Bregastor

I feel like a lot of people download the game, play a bit, get bored because they don't have a regular squad to play with and leave.

Truly, if I didn't have my group of friends to play with I probably wouldn't have stayed until a full year or year and a half later when there was more content. 😛

On 2019-09-21 at 1:09 PM, (NSW)Evilpricetag said:

I'm a whale when it comes to this game, I know I shouldn't, but I feel at least a little entitled after plopping like $480 (not including plat sales) dollars a year on this game.

I am a free to play player. And I am very grateful to other players who do buy fashion things or pay to avoid grind or save time. I believe paying customers are, very much so, allowed to feel entitled.