Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

At What Part of The Game Do You Think The Majority of NEW Players Quit The Game?

VotumPrime

I can only tell you when i first quit the game.  It was the first mission, dump a full mag into grineer grunts head from my mk1 braton and he was still alive. Used up my 3 revives and was ask to pay plat for another revive. Few weeks later after trying other free games on ps4( there werent that many back then) . i decided to give it another chance.  Played ever since. Still hate the pay to revive crap glad they removed it.

I've tried to get six people into the game and each time it's weapon/warframe slots and wait times when building weapons/warframes. Each and every time. Even when I tell them to spend their starting plat on slots it doesn't help much.

When I first started the weapon/warframe slots almost made me quit truth be told. I hate having weapons/warframes waiting for me in the foundry and not being able to use them because I didn't have plat to buy more slots. I still run into that issue now sometimes because I'm terrible at making plat. There should be more weapon/warframe slot rewards early on in the game to help out players.

Now when it comes to building times I know that topic has been beaten to death and won't ever change so I'll leave that one alone. Even after 700 hours of playtime I still get impatient waiting. Maybe we could had MR lower the timer? Maybe lower it by 2% per MR so at max you'll have a 54% reduction in waiting time? Doesn't help new players though. Another idea would be to scale the wait time depending on the MR of the weapon. So starting weapons could have a short wait time like thirty minutes to an hour or so and higher MR weapons could have the 24 hour wait time. 

Lastly reactors and catalysts made a couple of my friends really dislike the game due to how difficult it was to get. They felt that making their weapons/warframes decent should be all about the mods and that reactors/catalysts added another layer of gating that didn't add any meaningful gameplay. 

Anyway at this point I've given up trying to get new players into the game because there's just too many walls facing new players and the recruit a friend just doesn't add enough of an incentive to put in the time to help new players get over said walls. It's just too frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Dude, if Steam Charts are to be believed, people quit before getting even 1k Credits: 59,4%

Those charts are from every single person who downloaded Warframe on Steam, EVER.

Somewhat yes as with any f2p game, but you can see by stats that like half the people try to play - craft and rank up items etc, but then the numbers fall off like a rock, only ~16% got 'Kill the boss in the Venus'

I think a lot of people quit when they realize that the pace of Warframe is a slow MMO pace with a lot of grinding.  I think people expect to get everything in a few hours and then grind for free skins or something?  I just look at Warframes pace and compare it to other shooters, like call of duty, battlefield, or overwatch.  I don't think that's a problem with the game, though.  It's just that people expect it to be similar to those other franchises.

There's a reason I play Warframe and not those other franchises, though.  Those other games have aggressive monetization, coupled with a new game every year that divides the community.  They're also dedicated to pvp, which Warframe is not.

TL;DR  Warframe is a good looking game that attracts people that are looking for a completely different experience than it provides.

2 hours ago, (PS4)AyinDygra said:

This had the opposite effect for me. I solo'd everything except interception nodes, and the bosses: Namah boss (flying thing that dropped bombs to drop in giant fans) and Tyl Regor (with the mods I had at the levels I had them at when I reached that point, I could tickle him all day until I ran out of ammo, and he could tickle me, but neither of us could kill the other... ran with a group and he was dead before I could put up a frost bubble to slow him down.)

So, for me, meeting other players who could hold their own or carry, were welcome additions to the experience, even those who ran ahead in the anniversary GotL alerts in the derelict tileset that I had never yet encountered, and got lost and the team had to wait for me at extraction complaining about the noob, weren't things that pushed me away from the game... they made me wonder how anyone could be that powerful, and drove me to finding the mods and equipment that allowed it.

I really wonder who would get put off from the game if they encountered this, because they just made clearing the objective easier and faster = good thing. I mean, if someone thinks they need to be the center of attention doing all the killing, sure, I guess the selfish sort would get mad that they can't take the spotlight. Not a big deal to me.

Anyway, I solo'd 99% of my first year (recently getting a friend to play, when our work schedules allow us to play at the same time.)

Cause you've got all the solo experience, now imagine if all you had was overpowered vets clearing mobs so fast you'd have nothing to do and then yell at you for being slow while you get lost in a map. The game is super easy at the early stage especially, there is just no gameplay left when someone nukes the map and runs away and zero feel of achievement and progress that people play such games for.

27 minutes ago, Monolake said:

Cause you've got all the solo experience, now imagine if all you had was overpowered vets clearing mobs so fast you'd have nothing to do and then yell at you for being slow while you get lost in a map. The game is super easy at the early stage especially, there is just no gameplay left when someone nukes the map and runs away and zero feel of achievement and progress that people play such games for.

This is the exact reason I advise new players to play solo first so they will have the opportunity to SEE and learn the game.  Then join a group after they have gotten an idea of how to play and/or a better understanding of what is happening in the game.  

23 hours ago, VotumPrime said:

State what part of the game you think it is and why do you think they quit at that part and what DE should do to remedy it so that things stay interesting and keep these new players from leaving forever. This can be moved to feedback later.

They quit when they see the leveling system is different from most games. The fact you must use various weapons, even the trash ones. Plus the time and difficulty in getting weapons and frames. The need for platinum to grow your inventory and mod strength , then assuming you have to pay for it to get it (this is a reason I almost quit). Not knowing where the players are located. You need help with gameplay details but because most starchart missions are empty of players, you think the game is dead and you wind up soloing every mission (another reason I almost quit). 

I've been playing for about 6 months. Im mr26 and I know Warframe is not friendly to new players. I struggled through the first few junctions. Example, I didn't know I could stack Volt shield for more damage and add element damage. Use toxin, shoot through shield , gain corrosion. Suddenly im breezing through with Volt. I finished the starchart very easily with Volt and a regular Lex. Then switched to pyrana prime until I built a kitgun. Which is hard to collect resources to build. I see why most don't have it. I gave my clan members free plat to just go buy 1. And gave them free wolf sledges with a ton of free mods and rivens.

Then dojos.... The difficulty of new clan getting resources. No infested weapons for us anytime soon unless bought from store.

Most of the game is for players who can solo but choose to join a squad. They know the best frames, weapons and mods to use. 

I stayed to play void relic mission to help my friends who played have stuff to trade. I learned to make a bunch of plat from daily trading (around mr 7) and was able to get weapons, frames, slots, better mods. 

People complain about the game content being too easy but that's mostly from vets. New players have it so hard they usually just quit. On xbox, in 6 years of Warframe, less than 9% of players leveled any weapon to 30. Doing so is still a diamond achievement. Plus this game not for everyone. 

Edited by (XB1)Phantom Clip

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is the exact reason I advise new players to play solo first so they will have the opportunity to SEE and learn the game.  Then join a group after they have gotten an idea of how to play and/or a better understanding of what is happening in the game.  

And even then the experience will probably prove wanting unless you enjoy meta setups. Frankly Warframe is no longer a co-op friendly game, having negative interactions at pretty much all stages of progression outside very sanctioned/isolated incidences. A single player is so powerful nowadays that you can get left behind no matter what stages of progression you are unless you are using similar meta/cheese strategies and tryharding alongside them, and then it just becomes you competing with your teammates rather than playing with them. 

3 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

And even then the experience will probably prove wanting unless you enjoy meta setups. Frankly Warframe is no longer a co-op friendly game, having negative interactions at pretty much all stages of progression outside very sanctioned/isolated incidences. A single player is so powerful nowadays that you can get left behind no matter what stages of progression you are unless you are using similar meta/cheese strategies and tryharding alongside them, and then it just becomes you competing with your teammates rather than playing with them. 

Yup. Very easy for me to use Wukong , Iron staff and a Kitgun on a moving map or Saryn, Ignis and a Zaw on a defense map. Leaving nothing for anyone else to do but farm containers or collect shared affinity. Im like, this is for every player that left me when all I had was a Limbo and a Lato lol. 

11 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

And even then the experience will probably prove wanting unless you enjoy meta setups.

You won't have meta setup in the beginning when you first start playing.  

12 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Frankly Warframe is no longer a co-op friendly game, having negative interactions at pretty much all stages of progression outside very sanctioned/isolated incidences. A single player is so powerful nowadays that you can get left behind no matter what stages of progression you are unless you are using similar meta/cheese strategies and tryharding alongside them, and then it just becomes you competing with your teammates rather than playing with them. 

Which is why I still play Solo even after 3+ years of doing so.  It's something I've noticed happening in online games since back in 2007.  

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Yup. Very easy for me to use Wukong , Iron staff and a Kitgun on a moving map or Saryn, Ignis and a Zaw on a defense map. Leaving nothing for anyone else to do but farm containers or collect shared affinity. Im like, this is for every player that left me when all I had was a Limbo and a Lato lol. 

I try to rotate away from that behavior myself, I don't appreciate being forced to deal with it myself so I don't want to press upon others either. But sometimes I am tempted to cave just to show DE all the more adamantly just how terrible the games balance has become, maybe the ship needs to fully capsize before DE can be moved to action. 

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

You won't have meta setup in the beginning when you first start playing.  

I'm aware, my point was that until you do you will never escape the situation, and should you not want to play those setups then you are just as stuck as you were at the start as it never stops being a burden in the current game state.

For me it was having absolutely no story line to follow and not really knowing what i should be doing. It was similar to Elite Dangerous when I first started playing a couple years ago. You were literally just thrown into  space, dumped into a foreign universe and expected to figure it out. That was kinda overwhelming. I was lost at rank 3 or 4. Did not know what to do or where to go. Everything seemed so confusing. I tried and tried and advanced to a point where my excalibre and heatsword were just not up to par anymore. Was pretty much solo and never even saw another player. The plat stuff was also a deterrent. It seemed pretty pay to win from the unsuspecting eye. Was not the type of polished game I actually saw myself putting any money into.   So i quit. This was 4 years ago though. 

Oh, another thing that freaked me out was my joystick was like super sensitive on pc. Had something to do with steam big picture. That was not very fun. No matter what I did in options my controls were set to super sensitive chaos. Literally unplayable. Figured i would come back on pc when their partial control support was fixed. When I did come back it was still borked but a friend helped me out. 

Those were my reasons for quitting. MY reason for coming back was a friend told me the game is a lot different and has open worlds, better matchmaking and a tiny bit of a story if you have the patience to search it out. Came back for the Fortuna update and was splendidly surprised at how the game had progressed. 

Edited by bananacat89
spelling

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

I'm aware, my point was that until you do you will never escape the situation, and should you not want to play those setups then you are just as stuck as you were at the start as it never stops being a burden in the current game state.

Uhhh, I started the game solo and then again on an Alt Account after SoR update.  Both times using a bow as my Primary weapon.  So no, you DO NOT have to go meta to be successful or even to complete the Star Chart. 

Edited by DatDarkOne

15 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Uhhh, I started the game solo and then again on an Alt Account after SoR update.  Both times using a bow as my Primary weapon.  So no, you DO NOT have to go meta to be successful or even to complete the Star Chart. 

Re-read my initial statement please. 

I'd say they probably quit over the disjointed level systems. 

You have like three of them and none of them mean anything on their own. 

1. You have gear level that you need for Mods
  2. You have mod level that you need for actual power
  3. You have MR that is little more than a time gate but is still a bit confusing for new players. 

Once you know how all of them interact they're pretty easy to manage but early on they can leave you frustraited as to why lvl 10 enemies are yeeting your lvl 25 frame. 

• Like 1

On 2019-09-12 at 6:36 AM, VotumPrime said:

State what part of the game you think it is and why do you think they quit at that part and what DE should do to remedy it so that things stay interesting and keep these new players from leaving forever. This can be moved to feedback later.

As soon as you can’t use the weapons you build to complete content.

To someone new, that feels like when you’ve been playing a mobile game for a few days and you just can’t keep playing without spending.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

As soon as you can’t use the weapons you build to complete content.

To someone new, that feels like when you’ve been playing a mobile game for a few days and you just can’t keep playing without spending.

Yeah that has been brought up dozens of times. People like that instant gratification to keep them going.

4 minutes ago, VotumPrime said:

Yeah that has been brought up dozens of times. People like that instant gratification to keep them going.

People like games that aren’t trying to nickel and dime them.

I know that isn’t how things are, it’s just how they feel when people are new.

Ive seen three of my friends pick up warframe, get to that part and quit.

Now they say stuff like “Yeah, I couldn’t get into warframe. Just another pay to win game.”

”I don’t think I can afford to play a game like that.”

As someone with around 50 days and 150 hours played, I can tell you why I'm playing less.

Once you unlock all the planets there is not much direction to continue with.  With a low MR you can't advance syndicates, two Cetus bounties and I've reached my daily limit.  Other syndicates require a reactor and 100K credits to rank up to 3, which still doesn't give you access to mods.

Another way to compensate for bad RNG other than plat would be nice.  Last time I needed endo, I melted 50 Vitality mods but I still don't have Molten Impact.

12 minutes ago, InfectiousCheese said:

As someone with around 50 days and 150 hours played, I can tell you why I'm playing less.

Once you unlock all the planets there is not much direction to continue with.  With a low MR you can't advance syndicates, two Cetus bounties and I've reached my daily limit.  Other syndicates require a reactor and 100K credits to rank up to 3, which still doesn't give you access to mods.

Another way to compensate for bad RNG other than plat would be nice.  Last time I needed endo, I melted 50 Vitality mods but I still don't have Molten Impact.

Definitely. They should remove those cool down times on those mastery rank tests.

9 minutes ago, Goodwill said:

Probably the Vay Hek boss fight.

Ehhh?..... Are you sure?

We did forget Endo. A new player doesn't have any endo, they would need to rank up their mods. Collecting Ayatans makes no sense, as Maroo's Bazar is locked on Mars.

So they have to play 3 planets without getting significant amounts of Endo, they would need to rank up Redirection, Vitality and any other mods, they just can HOPE they drop Endo from common enemies.

Remember those?

FusionCoreNew.png

These things were the stuff you had to get. These even dropped at the very first mission and were used to upgrade a mod, you could even do that MINUTES after you started the game. Ranking a mod with them was tedious, but rewarding. A lot of my mods were ranked that way. You could also use duplicates of a mod, which increased the exp a little. Credit costs were less, if you didn't rank a mod all the way to the next level. Yes, ranking a mod was EXP based. So, you could either save credits or waste them, but your mod was +1.

The common ones dropped all the time, every enemy had either 2 or 3 types of them in their droptable., now those have been replaced with different amounts of endo, which seem to drop less often then Fusion Cores did. Having a drop chance booster netted waaay more Cores. R5's, U3's, C3's, 

Today, you have to get Endo en masse. Ayatan Sculpts, Stars and dissolve of Duplicates - whoich new players won't have as much anyway. 

Despite the clutter those Fusion Cores caused, it made levelling easier. It caused progression and flexibilty. Now it's more simplified, but you need always the full amount to rank up a Mod. So you can't just put 15 Endo in there, no, you have to pay the full price.

The Endo system is literal garbage, it introduced a unnecessary ressource-proxy to get rid of Cores and "clean droptables", but it didnt and it's still there. You could literally replace Endo with Fusion Cores on any enemy.

Why? I have some Umbra Mods I need to rank, but the game wants 10k Endo... I have 7k and can't use that, no I HAVE TO HAVE 10K, so I need to WAIT and farm Endo, Ayatan and/or buy them - until then, this mod is stuck. On the Fusion Core system, I just could slap that amount on, regardless if it would level that mod, the EXP would go to 70% and the mod is upgraded anyway.

Did I mention, dissolving is actually pretty pointless? On dissolve, you get Endo, to Level Mod A, right? Why don't you just fuse all those mods into Mod A directly, you have to mark them anyway.

Edited by NoSpax
  • Like 1