Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

At What Part of The Game Do You Think The Majority of NEW Players Quit The Game?

VotumPrime

14 hours ago, Aldain said:

Slots in general can also be a problem that makes the game seem a bit heavy on the "PAY US MONEY" front.

Nightwave having slots in the rewards helps a bit, but the base number of frame slots feels like "Starter frame +1" might not be enough.

What I did when I was a broke newbie, I keep only prime frames (and Excalibur coz I use him the most), I made all normal frames at once, take 1 out and max it in Draco, sell it and take another, I did this with at least 10 frames within 3 or 4 days iirc. 

7 hours ago, Proslackernifty said:

I think a lot of people quit when they realize that the pace of Warframe is a slow MMO pace with a lot of grinding.  I think people expect to get everything in a few hours and then grind for free skins or something?  I just look at Warframes pace and compare it to other shooters, like call of duty, battlefield, or overwatch.  I don't think that's a problem with the game, though.  It's just that people expect it to be similar to those other franchises.

There's a reason I play Warframe and not those other franchises, though.  Those other games have aggressive monetization, coupled with a new game every year that divides the community.  They're also dedicated to pvp, which Warframe is not.

TL;DR  Warframe is a good looking game that attracts people that are looking for a completely different experience than it provides.

My feelings exactly. 

• Like 2

Am 12.9.2019 um 18:29 schrieb OwlOfJune:

The problem is, since they are introduced early on and looks so busy, also while being familiar to many ‘gamer’ ppl who like open world solo games or MMO with huge fields, they constantly bash themselves into getting more from Open Worlds.

However, most things in Open world is used only for stuff that part only (fish, mine, conservation etc) and a good chunk of it is locked behind Operator and Amp (Which is much later into story), they feel frustrated that they aren’t getting much better.

That's why Cetus should not be a main node - you should not have to play that to complete Earth. Not mention, PoE and OV are highly demanding areas on Potato PC.

my Geforce GTX 560 Ti can only take it, when I half the resolution and even then it runs at barely at 30 fps of the (vsync) 60, I have usually during missions.

last second edit: The grineer on PoE are insane, they seem to be (roughly) 10 Levels higher then it says. And that dreaded Slash proc on a low-level frame with a Rank 2 Vitality.. ohhhhh. Playing with low rank equip there more feels like a chore, then fun.

Edited by NoSpax

My friends, if they get past earth, all stop around Saturn/Europa. That's about the point where doing the same 4-5 missions over and over starts to get old.  Most people probably quit around Vor's prize though if the gameplay doesn't grab you you won't get far. I think DE met with GGG and their findings show no amount of new player experience restructuring will change retention if the core gameplay doesn't hook a person.

Odds are, if they’re like me, it’s within 2 or 3 missions of the start. The default controls are weird, nothing is explained well, weird terminology is everywhere, and it’s a strange-looking game. I quit and only returned much later, gritting my teeth through that stuff until I actually figured out what was happening.

It’s not welcoming, and that’ll drive people off right away. Which is a shame, because there’s a lot to commend in this game. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RadonRadish said:

My friends, if they get past earth, all stop around Saturn/Europa. That's about the point where doing the same 4-5 missions over and over starts to get old.  Most people probably quit around Vor's prize though if the gameplay doesn't grab you you won't get far. I think DE met with GGG and their findings show no amount of new player experience restructuring will change retention if the core gameplay doesn't hook a person.

Then they need to show the movement in the very begining. I met a guy who was rolling around in Mars. I had to tell him about Bullet Jump and the verticality it brings. His answer: "This changes so much."

• Like 2

dont even have to think about it, ive had numerous attempts at getting friends/family/coworkers playing with me since 2013/14 and they always quit within a week and many of them areplayers i have played ut99/cs/rtcw/sof2/q3/bf2/more with so they arent exactly people who dislike shooters and they all bailed with the same reasons, "looks great, frustrating to learn/play due to lack of information".

New player experience has been a problem from day 1, many comment on it and probably always will, in fact here 1 of my earliest from a looooooong time ago, some of those points are still valid, some additions "helped" still still werent enough.

Here was my own brief feedback back when i started, i only didnt quit tbh because i was hooked on mass effect3: multiplayer at the time and liked the horde shooter theme and warframe had "bigger maps", so more variety and boredom did not rear its head liek it did on ME3:MP.

I have tried to get ppl to play from 2013/14 aaaaaall the way to present day, none of them wanted me boosting/helping them so they tried the starmap themselves but exactly none of them have ever stuck to it, my brother in law did briefly come back 2 years later when operators first landed but he quit again pretty fast when he saw no qualitave changes and the same heavy reliance on 3rd party sites to know anything of use.

56 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

dont even have to think about it, ive had numerous attempts at getting friends/family/coworkers playing with me since 2013/14 and they always quit within a week and many of them areplayers i have played ut99/cs/rtcw/sof2/q3/bf2/more with so they arent exactly people who dislike shooters and they all bailed with the same reasons, "looks great, frustrating to learn/play due to lack of information".

New player experience has been a problem from day 1, many comment on it and probably always will, in fact here 1 of my earliest from a looooooong time ago, some of those points are still valid, some additions "helped" still still werent enough.

Here was my own brief feedback back when i started, i only didnt quit tbh because i was hooked on mass effect3: multiplayer at the time and liked the horde shooter theme and warframe had "bigger maps", so more variety and boredom did not rear its head liek it did on ME3:MP.

I have tried to get ppl to play from 2013/14 aaaaaall the way to present day, none of them wanted me boosting/helping them so they tried the starmap themselves but exactly none of them have ever stuck to it, my brother in law did briefly come back 2 years later when operators first landed but he quit again pretty fast when he saw no qualitave changes and the same heavy reliance on 3rd party sites to know anything of use.

I see. You did very well. All of this is very useful information. I'm sure DE is not too old to have extremely creative problem solving abilities to address this issue. It would help increase the number of players significantly

• Like 2

On 2019-09-12 at 8:18 PM, (PS4)dursereg said:

I can only tell you when i first quit the game.  It was the first mission, dump a full mag into grineer grunts head from my mk1 braton and he was still alive. Used up my 3 revives and was ask to pay plat for another revive. Few weeks later after trying other free games on ps4( there werent that many back then) . i decided to give it another chance.  Played ever since. Still hate the pay to revive crap glad they removed it.

This actually was a much bigger problem a long time ago, even trying to rank up in MR tests was nigh impossible for some new players with their mk1 braton doing exactly nothing to the corpus untis in the tests, also when they first introduced interception they made grineer super over the top overpowered/armoured, hardly any new players could get past the interception node even with help.

Due to rng the biggest issue was/is attaining the core mods and ranking them up so they do anything of use, i remember my cousin getting to saturn and he still did not own a serration or hornet strike and had a few elemental mods, he got cheesed off pretty quick at not getting the core damage mods and lacking enough endo to rank up even vitality to a helpful rank.

Well, if I remember correctly since it's been a long time since I started, I think there is no in-game tutorial and you have to figure it out as you go. I remember not knowing how to double jump or glide and had trouble getting between areas that had a gap like the end of some missions where you had to jump a gap to end the mission. A lot of things in game aren't discussed and you have to figure out for yourself or ask around but not always get an answer.

I didn't know how to get plat or what the market was. The plat market is not discussed in-game and if you go into trade RARELY does anyone answer a question about trading. They all are just throwing out WTB, WTT, WTS, etc.. In general chat you always get something that says go to trade chat but I think trade doesn't unlock till you hit a mastery level (2?).

I love alts but when you find out that you are not going to have an alt for a long time, unless you are very lucky, then it kind of puts you off. I started with Excalibur and then finally got my second frame Rhino after a month or two. I was so happy to have another frame but then I was stuck at 2 frames for a long time because I didn't have anything to trade to get plat. And some of the cooler frames you won't have for a while because you have to get the gear to do those types of missions. Worse, you could want a frame like Nidus but just hate the Index and can never find a group to finish that stupid quest. And my team doesn't do anything except die. R.I.P. Nidus dream. :(

I want to buy plat but most of their ways don't gel with me. I like to have cards in stores I can buy and get a code and bam, done. So I had to search and watch trade chat to get even the slightest clue about how to make plat. Started selling statues and such for like 5 plat and finally got some more frame slots and then got my first 2 or 3 Rivens and sold one for 100 plat. I was doing cart wheels after that and bought a bunch more slots. Right now I have 11 frames in my foundry waiting for slots.

Edited by Mingtzu

On 2019-09-11 at 6:43 PM, peterc3 said:

Literally impossible. Some people just do not like the game, and that is fine. Warframe can't be all things to all people.

So if you were asking for people who have actually quit the game and at which point they quit, that is actual data for DE to peruse and start weighing X people vs. Y resources needed to correct the issue.

Speculation is meaningless.

Honestly, people who quit the game could never give feedback because they're more than likely not paying attention to Warframe forums, etc.

• Like 1

On 2019-09-11 at 6:36 PM, VotumPrime said:

State what part of the game you think it is and why do you think they quit at that part and what DE should do to remedy it so that things stay interesting and keep these new players from leaving forever. This can be moved to feedback later.

Edit: We can move this to feedback now.

I think they quit the first time they fail a Mastery Rank test, see there is an absolutely brain dead idiotic unnecessarily punitive 24 hour lockout, and say "WTF? Seriously? Screw this game." /uninstall.

For me that happened at MR11, and if I hadn't made a bunch of really cool friends in game already, I would have quit.

3 hours ago, Mingtzu said:

Well, if I remember correctly since it's been a long time since I started, I think there is no in-game tutorial and you have to figure it out as you go. I remember not knowing how to double jump or glide and had trouble getting between areas that had a gap like the end of some missions where you had to jump a gap to end the mission. A lot of things in game aren't discussed and you have to figure out for yourself or ask around but not always get an answer.

I didn't know how to get plat or what the market was. The plat market is not discussed in-game and if you go into trade RARELY does anyone answer a question about trading. They all are just throwing out WTB, WTT, WTS, etc.. In general chat you always get something that says go to trade chat but I think trade doesn't unlock till you hit a mastery level (2?).

I love alts but when you find out that you are not going to have an alt for a long time, unless you are very lucky, then it kind of puts you off. I started with Excalibur and then finally got my second frame Rhino after a month or two. I was so happy to have another frame but then I was stuck at 2 frames for a long time because I didn't have anything to trade to get plat. And some of the cooler frames you won't have for a while because you have to get the gear to do those types of missions. Worse, you could want a frame like Nidus but just hate the Index and can never find a group to finish that stupid quest. And my team doesn't do anything except die. R.I.P. Nidus dream. 😞

I want to buy plat but most of their ways don't gel with me. I like to have cards in stores I can buy and get a code and bam, done. So I had to search and watch trade chat to get even the slightest clue about how to make plat. Started selling statues and such for like 5 plat and finally got some more frame slots and then got my first 2 or 3 Rivens and sold one for 100 plat. I was doing cart wheels after that and bought a bunch more slots. Right now I have 11 frames in my foundry waiting for slots.

You started September 6th of 2014. 

yo, this is a funny one or pretty sad, depends on how you see it

i had a clanmate who obtained almost everything with platinum, he was kinda rich IRL so yea, primed frames, weapons, boosters etc

when we asked his friend why hes no longer playing, he said, he got bored cause he had nothing to do

the guy only played for a month or so

First of all thing is that there are lot of content in game.1) You need fair ammount of time to understand mechanics of game, to catch where to do what; 2) where to farm stuff;  3) how to get something; 4) how to made platinum 5) how to get fession stuff for orbiter and frames 6) where to gain xp; 7) how to mod correctly etc...

These are some of issues for new players, they always lack something. Veterans in clan chat, i am sure they will notice this, will see that new/er players always, by 'some chance', lack the most rare drop (prime part, prime bp or some kind of mod (prime or event one)) and if by same 'some chance' someone got extra to gift them. yea mate i have crap load of them in my pocket just to give it away, and always got what you need xD wisper me will ya? MR 25 here you  go..... xD

Also on top of this there few more things to add, like toxicity of ppl and community, frustration and time comsumtion of 3 days to manifacture some frame. let me give you an example:

If they need some info instead of search it on web like all veterans did when they were newbie 3+ years ago, they tend to ask in chat and like always they did and if  not get reply in decent time frame well they tend to hate you, something like stalker do xD instead of do something on their own they w8 someone help them out. 

if they need some part or mod (mostly rare one) they ask if someone have extra. When not replyed or gifted they also tend to say some nasty things instead of go and farm it trade it or what ever needed in order to get it. Not to mention fishing and farming gems in Orb Valis and PoE. You know can you give me what ever the fck becaouse i cant farm it, lazy and stuff. I can't play game for you man. You need to do your own s***t. 

So when you combine less ingenious ideas and mechanic of game, toxity and be frank about this, at early MR ranks you dont have decent weapon and tend to stuck at specific point in star chart so newbie go WELP, not to mention unequality between high mr and low mr in all sort of thing on top of that captured in claws of grinding. Player tend to leave game at some either early point in game for some of mentioned reasons or other of their own or at late point when they dont have anything left to play. Then they finaly realise that all of this is more or less punishable form of grinding. 

Becaouse this is grind based game remember? And we recently got screwed up synergy of farm frames in squad ( clap clap DE good job, let me give you a medal). Also advice for newbies build chesa kubrow, it desecrate for extra loot like nekros do. it is like baby nekros, guess he really desecrated some b***h in order to make it work xD 

As a pretty new player, I have to say that the absolutely HORRIBLE waypoint/way finding routines almost made me quit the game after a few hours.

I cannot count how many missions I actually aborted because I followed that green marker to the extraction point and only ran into the same dead-end again and again.

Games like Dead Space show how it is done. It would be WAY better to have a visible path that you can follow than that atrocious and misleading (!) waypoint marker.

If you know the game for a while, you learn where the exits are because map tiles repeat. So being the "new guy" in a party you´re always left behind and while the other players are already waiting for you at the extraction point, you still try to find the way out of that one stupid room or corridor.

• Like 2

I'm going to say Uranus as a whole.

Confusing and obfuscated tileset with slow movement sections that require a spacial awareness that most people just don't have the patience for, relay requirements that are an utter slog to do if you don't know what you're doing, and enemies start ramping up in difficulty enough that new players may start to think they're massively outgunned. This is also the point where all the good story content comes right after, so you may have players running through since the beginning wondering when all the good stuff starts happening, sees Uranus, and decides to drop the game entirely because there's little worth doing, not knowing just how insane the story goes from then on.

It absolutely needs a Jupiter-style revamp and relook at relay requirements.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ERC-Tex said:

Confusing and obfuscated tileset with slow movement sections that require a spacial awareness that most people just don't have the patience for, relay requirements that are an utter slog to do if you don't know what you're doing, and enemies start ramping up in difficulty enough that new players may start to think they're massively outgunned. This is also the point where all the good story content comes right after, so you may have players running through since the beginning wondering when all the good stuff starts happening, sees Uranus, and decides to drop the game entirely because there's little worth doing, not knowing just how insane the story goes from then on.

You forgoth to mention screwed up marker for extract  on top of this. This makes thing extra difficult. Sometimes eaven i am lost on Uranus or Lua. 

DE should fix this. They need to remap whole starchart, but first fix extraction marker. .

Also uranus gives you good spot for farming 4 resources at time on 1 map. 

Edited by -HoB-AngelofRevenge

5 hours ago, ERC-Tex said:

seeing ppl just give up on sharkwing areas and letting the teammates clock in the extraction countdown is another thing for Uranus submersible missions, all due to them getting horribly lost/stuck/confused, all a normal days work for warframe, not even a wiki can help that problem tho.