Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Borderlands 3 & Twitch

Vit0Corleone

I apologize is this way too off topic or well known, not a "hard core" twitch user myself.

I've been watching some Twitch streamers playing Borderlands 3, and I thought it was really interesting the way that BL3 allows viewers to actually interact with the game that the streamer is playing.

Of course, my Tenno self was thinking ... wouldn't it be awesome if we could do this with Warframe as well?

I have no idea what is involved here or the kind of effort, but the features they have are kinda cool.

You can inspect the streamer player profile/loadout, checkout their inventory etc..

If they happen to get a chest reward, it triggers an event that viewers can join to get the same rewards the streamer got.

There's also events you can join etc. 

Maybe there's more stuff, this is just what I've seen so far.

Would be awesome if Warframe streamers could do this as well. Not only it makes it a hell lot more fun to watch the streams, but it's also engaging, ultimately resulting on more viewers I assume, and that can only be positive for the game.

The open-world launches of Plains of Eidolon and Orb Vallis both had Twitch events - if you were watching a streamer or sponsored stream long enough, or at a specific time, with your linked account, you could get random rewards. From creds to Wisps to cosmetics and maybe some other stuff, I forget. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duviri get a Twitch event too, and maybe Railjack and Second War before it.

10 hours ago, Omegaboot said:

The open-world launches of Plains of Eidolon and Orb Vallis both had Twitch events - if you were watching a streamer or sponsored stream long enough, or at a specific time, with your linked account, you could get random rewards. From creds to Wisps to cosmetics and maybe some other stuff, I forget. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duviri get a Twitch event too, and maybe Railjack and Second War before it.

That's not what I'm talking about thou. I mean actually interacting with the game.

What BL3 does with Twitch, is that it allows you ( as a viewer ) to interact with the streamers game, and the reverse too - actions taken by the streamer can result in cool gifts you get as a player.

For example, just last night the streamer was fighting a mob group and a "badass" enemy showed up. That triggered an event that basically allows viewers to help the "badass" enemy ( and make it harder for the streamer ) by voting on things like giving the enemy more health, leveling up that enemy, etc. Was pretty funny to watch actually, as the streamer struggled to kill that "badass" that essentially the viewers had buffed up.

2 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Bragging about breaking the law isn't really a good look, honestly

Nor is intentionally segregating a community with an extensive amount of exclusivity deals to line your pockets, extensive both in quantity of deals and duration of exclusivity, but this is the world we live in. There's nothing I love more than seeing a trailer or footage for a game I want to play, before realising that if I want to play it I either:

A) Purchase it on a completely sub-par system because 'reasons', and then repurchase it down the line when it's released on the store I actually use so I can utilise all the features I'm used to having. 

B) Wait up to a year for it to be released to everyone.

C) Pirate it so I can play it now, avoid spoilers, and then purchase it later.

Gearbox will get my money, as will the developers of Metro Exodus and Outer Wilds, once it arrives on Steam. Exclusivity deals as a concept piss me off, but a 6-12 month deal is just taking the piss and I have absolutely no respect for Epic games, nor any inclination to let them twist my arm into giving them money by using their store.

Is my post entirely hypocritical? Probably, but I'm playing the game when I want to, the developers get paid for it (eventually) and I don't split my library across multiple systems, so call it whatever you want (I mean, it's not even bragging, but you can call it that if you want), there's sound logic behind it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

to line your pockets

Yeah, Valve is pretty bad like that. I'm glad Epic is giving them competition and threatening their greedy monopoly.

Best thing to happen to the industry in years. It's hilarious. 

18 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

nor any inclination to let them twist my arm into giving them money

You know they get your money anyway, don't you? Aside from the massive amounts of money both Epic and 2K are making off the game (because most people don't care about this silly controversy), when you buy the game, they get a cut of the revenue. Except when you buy it on Steam, it's the developer and the publisher who get less, because Epic waives the engine royalties and gives a larger cut. I'm not sure that has the desired effect. 

Edited by AdunSaveMe

14 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

It's funny because that's not what I said.

Oh you.

I know, I'm doing that hilarious thing where you twist the thing the other person said to have a different meaning and to make a point and then surfing off of that. But aside from that annoying fallacy, the rest of my comment stands. It's a great thing, and it's great to watch the reactions to it.

Sorry if that was too rude, I'm late and I'm not as funny as I think I am. 

Edited by AdunSaveMe

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Nor is intentionally segregating a community with an extensive amount of exclusivity deals to line your pockets...

This. So much this. 

The joke, though it's not particularly funny even if it is true, is that 2020 will be a very good year for PC gaming--because that's when all this present exclusivity nonsense will sunset. Of course, there will probably be more, since Epic seems incapable of doing anything but doubling down on their mediocre platform--which they continually fail to improve. 

As for BL3, well, one of my friends has already made the call, so we're all probably going to be on board with the XB1 version of BL3. 

There you go, Epic. Saving me money in the short-run, while leveraging Microsoft sales. 🖕