CrackheadMango

How do you beat the mastery rank 9 test

Question

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but we'll see, anyways I am currently struggling on the mastery rank 9 test. I go into Simaris and practice and the 1st and 2nd stages are not hard it's the 3rd stage I keep failing at and it's making me want to vomit. I'm over like 25 tries and I honestly don't have a clue what to do, all the videos about the test are outdated since DE changed the test so much and the spotting is so inconsistent it's a pain. I get spotted when I shouldn't and don't when I should, I'd do the same thing twice and sometimes I get spotted sometimes I don't and it's hard how to figure out a test when consistency is a problem and when the enemy has a spotting range of a football field or that of a blind person. Anyways tips and tricks would be appreciated, I'd hate to give up on this game when I still have so much more to do.    

19 answers to this question

Been a while since I've had that test

just tried it now at Cephalon Simaris

was able to do it in one try using an Orvius to pick off grineer from a distance

be sure to activate channeling so bodies disintegrate

hang back and watch their patrol routes, wait till they're facing away before moving forwards, target the ones on the outside first

• Like 1

I just ran this test using a pole-arm and mods for enemy radar and completed it on 2nd try without melee channel kills, and completed it a second time 1st try with Loki + Hushed Invis with Redeemer.  I personally didn't really notice anything different compared to the last time I ran this challenge, but maybe I just got lucky and didn't experience the 'buggy' behavior that others have. 

I think the most important thing to bring for this challenge is enemy radar - it can really help by allowing you to observe enemy movements and their alert states on the mini-map :

• a red empty triangle = unalerted, smallest detection range
  • a red triangle filled in with a smaller red triangle = semi-alerted - they're aware of a threat but haven't spotted you yet. they are able to detect you more easily in this state
  • solid red triangle = fully alerted - they've spotted you, largest detection range

As others may have already suggested, here are some other tips that may help:

• Crouching - the smaller silhouette makes you a little bit harder to spot
  • use Loki + Hushed Invisibility or Banshee (to silence the weapon's shots) using a gunblade to take out enemies more easily from a distance
  • disintegrate bodies via melee channeling - prevents the other enemies from going semi-alerted when they see their dead comrades
  • If using a melee weapon that requires you to get up close and personal, don't hesitate when you make your move and go in for the kill : if you are fast enough you can still get the kill before they go fully alert, even if they're facing you.  Of course this only applies to the enemy that you're targeting - you still have to be mindful of where the other enemies are.
  • for me personally, i prefer to use the larger overlay mini-map with map rotation locked as I find it much easier to keep track of enemies and general navigation that way.  Might be worth a try if you haven't already done so.

Bugged or not, this challenge typically the first major roadblock that I see lower MRs encounter when it comes to mastery rank tests.  Try and see if any of the suggestions in this thread work out for ya and keep practicing - you'll get it.

Edited by Lokidus_Prime

Yep, I concur. I experimented with the MR 9 test which was already hard to begin with.

It's more difficult now because they gave the units horizontal and vertical fields field of view rather than a narrow straight line. That means, if you're on the ground or high in the air, they will still see you (this didn't use to be the case). They will also see you now if you're slightly in their periphery (this didn't use to be the case)! The first two phases can be done with old fashion hide and slay. The last phase is a lot harder because you have one elevated Grineer circling a pillar who can now see you (but couldn't before)! So not only are the 3 Grineer on the ground, now you have to worry about the elevated Grineer... You need to effectively avoid 4 eyes with relatively wide fields of view from the start.

My old strategy of using Zephyr and climbing and hiding on the tops of pillars and dropping down at opportune moments (which allowed me to pass the test the first time) does not work anymore. The only one that allowed me to pass was to use Banshee and Sarpa with the Bullet Dance stance (drops in Void Sabotage).

So there you have it... Banshee and Sarpa. Why Banshee? Her passive makes the Sarpa silent (which will otherwise alert the units in the test). Why Sarpa? Because it can kill the units at range when you really can't be out in the open owing to the expanded horizontal/vertical fields of view for the units.

In my opinion, DE messed up. There is no reason why anyone should need to build Banshee or Sarpa/Redeemer and farm Bullet Dance from Void Sabotage (to make Sarpa or Redeemer behave more like a gun) just to reliably pass this test. DE also eliminated other interesting stealthy strategies that you can no longer use.

OH YES! If you're going the Sarpa/Redeemer route, remember that the 'h' key will toggle left/right over-shoulder view. This is extremely useful to allow you to stay hidden while aiming and shooting the Sarpa from left or right of a pillar.

I recently passed this test and it took a few goes to nail it. (For reference, 'back' is where you start from, 'front' is where the guard on the platform is). For stage three, I jumped down from the overlook to spawn the guards, then jumped back up and hung way back on the platform. Once the three guards walking towards you split, I jumped forward and then off the platform, racing to kill the one to the right, then immediately u-turning to kill the left one. I hide behind the back left side pillar and waited for the centre guard to return, keeping the pillar between me and him. Once he turned back around, I swept in and killed him. Then I moved to the right side of the map and then down to the front, leap ffong pillar to pillar. Killed the right hand, front guard a sec after he walks past (the guard on the platform walks past just as the guard in front walks past the pillar, so I needed to pause. Radar mod is handy for checking when to go). Then jumped up on the platform just behind the guard up there (he patrols counter clockwise around the pillar) to kill him, then I could kill the last at my leisure. Hope that helps

I finally passed it yesterday by killing each one and jumping back to the the second stage, it was long and tedious but I finally got through, can't wait to struggle with the mr19 test

Anyways thank you all for the feedback and the tips and help. Means a lot since this was a cancerous hurdle for me.

Gunblades are a bit iffy there, they make shoot noise. That will alarm enemies.

I did mine using a glaive. Any thrown melee weapon works. I told a clanmate this trick, he did it with the wolf-of-saturn hammer. Just stay well out of range behind a wall, and throw stuff in their back. On the 3rd part, you can jump up on one of those really high pillars. Enemies cant look up, so you'll automatically be out of sight. You can throw stuff down though. They'll never see that coming 😄

Missing a throw doesnt matter at all, since the 'whooooosh' sound apparently doesnt count for alarms.

It was really easy that way

• Like 1

@(NSW)IronElemental, he's on PC.... When Gauss launched, it jacked up enemy AI.  If you read the entire discussion here, you'll see what I' talking about.

Also, OP passed the test.

TBH, only the last part of the test is a real pain.

If you have to cheese it, use a throwing weapon with fastest attack and reduce bounce mod.

Drop down to let the guards spawn and jump back up to hide. When they all turn around, kill the two on either side and hide behind a pillar.

Center guard doesn't look to the left and can be killed at range when he patrols back, out of sight range.

Just make sure the last three cant see each other or you, be patient, and work your way from left to right.

On 2019-09-14 at 6:25 AM, (NSW)IronElemental said:

Gunblades are a bit iffy there, they make shoot noise. That will alarm enemies.

I did mine using a glaive. Any thrown melee weapon works. I told a clanmate this trick, he did it with the wolf-of-saturn hammer. Just stay well out of range behind a wall, and throw stuff in their back. On the 3rd part, you can jump up on one of those really high pillars. Enemies cant look up, so you'll automatically be out of sight. You can throw stuff down though. They'll never see that coming 😄

Missing a throw doesnt matter at all, since the 'whooooosh' sound apparently doesnt count for alarms.

It was really easy that way

I think I am going to try this with the Falcor when I get home that thing twirls and bounces around all over the place.

Wisp + and any of the {+elemental damage to bulletjump} permanent invisibility by bunnyhoping and bulletjumping
Yes, in case you didn't know, Bullet jump does damage, it can break containers and can kill low level enemies, (which this MR test is full of) just bullet jump around like a lunatic, they won't see you, they can't shoot you, you remain undetected while they just see their allies die inexplicably, mission complete in 1m 33s with this method.

Yes this solution might not be newbie friendly, ask around in recruitment chat to get help with getting wisp, and some hexenon, and I'm pretty sure someone will be willing to give a hand.

Other solutions are to get either Sarpa or Redeemer with [Bullet Dance] as stance and stack some damage mods as the falloff can reduce damage enough to not oneshot at whatever distance you're trying to kill (oh and since they're like shotguns they also have spread).