Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt.Tau

Game Etiquette - Let's be nice

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Invisibleaxeman said:

Problem with a lot of this advice is you're basically asking psychopaths not to be psychopaths.

Advice wise, I'd say when the mission is over and three people are waiting at extraction for you, don't spend the full extraction countdown $&*^ing around within full sight of extraction.

LOL! I think the word you want here is sociopath. They are anti-social, psychopaths kill people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cmacq said:

LOL! I think the word you want here is sociopath. They are anti-social, psychopaths kill people.

Neither of those are right, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, swiftasacoursing said:

Neither of those are right, actually.

I'm sorry but sociopath is the term for someone who can't understand social side of things. Look it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cmacq said:

I'm sorry but sociopath is the term for someone who could a S#&$ less about the social side of things. Look it up

Oh I wasn’t very clear, sorry. I meant the part where you said “the word you want is sociopath.” Your definition is pretty right but the thing you were attributing it to isn’t. If they’re actively and knowingly avoiding the extraction zone then that’s not enough to say they’re a sociopath, but it is enough to say they’re a jerk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, swiftasacoursing said:

Oh I wasn’t very clear, sorry. I meant the part where you said “the word you want is sociopath.” Your definition is pretty right but the thing you were attributing it to isn’t. If they’re actively and knowingly avoiding the extraction zone then that’s not enough to say they’re a sociopath, but it is enough to say they’re a jerk.

LOL! Good one! I was using the term relative to the poster's use of "psychopath" Being as A$$ in a video game is not quite on par with mass murderers at least not yet anyway 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmacq said:

LOL! I think the word you want here is sociopath. They are anti-social, psychopaths kill people.

While sociopath is also an applicable description, the word I used is correct.  Very easy to check the clinical definition, surprised that you didn't before responding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Invisibleaxeman said:

While sociopath is also an applicable description, the word I used is correct.  Very easy to check the clinical definition, surprised that you didn't before responding...

Fair enough. I see one term as being far more drastic than the other. Thus my comment relative to video games in general. 

What is difference between psychopath and sociopath?
The Difference Between a Psychopath and Sociopath

Moreover, while a sociopath would feel no guilt about hurting a stranger, they may feel guilt and remorse over hurting someone with which they share a bond. ... The psychopath is keenly aware that what he or she is doing is wrong, but does not care.

Enough derailment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the main difference between the two is one can feel remorse and the other can't, but neither personality disorder usually has anything to do with killing.  The estimation is about 5% of the population is psychopathic but obviously there aren't that many mass murderers.  The behaviour is channeled quite successfully into high level business practices.  The image that all psychopaths are mass-murderers or serial-killers is something that comes from popular culture.  These extreme ends of the spectrum are obviously more rare.

I don't think it's derailment, quite topical given the 5% population and how closely this matches how often I see some of the mentioned behaviours in-game.  Assuming you're not, you're going to meet one on average every 6-7 squads, pretty bad RNG!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Invisibleaxeman said:

Yes, the main difference between the two is one can feel remorse and the other can't, but neither personality disorder usually has anything to do with killing.  The estimation is about 5% of the population is psychopathic but obviously there aren't that many mass murderers.  The behaviour is channeled quite successfully into high level business practices.  The image that all psychopaths are mass-murderers or serial-killers is something that comes from popular culture.  These extreme ends of the spectrum are obviously more rare.

I don't think it's derailment, quite topical given the 5% population and how closely this matches how often I see some of the mentioned behaviours in-game.  Assuming you're not, you're going to meet one on average every 6-7 squads, pretty bad RNG!

 

Yes lol. Almost as bad as trying to scan for kavat codes (which I'm currently doing). And I thought getting the Khora parts was a pain in the ass. DE wants you to buy these real bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a void fissure disrption mode, don't put the last key in until all the squad members have 10 reactants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, xHeretic said:

why you wouldnt revive someone because they didnt say "ty" wtf, not saying ty isnt bad or rude at all, rude and bad is chosing not helping someone in distress because they didint type ty to appeal your needs

21 hours ago, Birk.Borkason said:

+1

 

also:

In Sabotage missions majority decides if people look for caches or not.

Background: started a Sabotage mission in one of the emissary derelics. one rushed through, 3 including me were looking for caches. Instead of helping us, the 1 guy wrote something like "ffs, how egoistic are you, if you want to do caches look for a group". I told him to look for a group if he wants to rush, instead of opening a discussion who is egoistic in that situation and thought he might understand what he does.

Received an answer that included the word "moron", ignored that guy and reported him. Anyway if 2 people decide to leave, mission is over after 1 minute.

If you can't take the time to be polite when you're in a bleedout state after the 10th revive, it's on you and let the teambagging commence 😛

Seriously though in this day and age what do manners cost? Nothing, smh trying to justify why going out of your way an unreasonable amount of time and expecting thanks is some how evil.

Keep on going through life expecting people to do things for you with zero grattitude, it'll get you far in life!

Yeah it's a video game and yeah it's a team based game, but if you're in a random mission and blatantly not able to carry ya own weight then either a) be humble / cautious b) be apologetic or at least have some ounce of civility.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope there's less racism in the game.

If non-native speakers chat on the team channel, the other team members may not see what they are talking about.I once had a situation where a player who couldn't see what someone was talking about insulted someone else.

Because of my network reason, the player that I match basically is Asian player.Some South Korean players revile China and Southeast Asia.Taiwan and Hong Kong also have some players will insult Chinese players.White players have also been known to insult Asian players and african-americans.I reported some of them, but the response from the customer service was that they were being monitored and that they would be dealt with later.

I want we all to improve yourselves.Don't say racist things when we're angry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I believe there is not a single game where a written "etiquette" is needed.

Sure, some things like elevators, leaving squads as a host etc. are important information.

But telling an a$$hole to be nice won´t work in any game.

If you´re a social, respectful person, you don´t need an etiquette, you simply act the way your character, personality and maybe even education tells you. All it needs is a little bit of common sense.

We have a saying in my language which means "You can´t make gold from sh!t". This of course sounds very harsh in the context, so take it with a grain of salt. You know what it means, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

If you can't take the time to be polite when you're in a bleedout state after the 10th revive, it's on you and let the teambagging commence 😛

Seriously though in this day and age what do manners cost? Nothing, smh trying to justify why going out of your way an unreasonable amount of time and expecting thanks is some how evil.

Keep on going through life expecting people to do things for you with zero grattitude, it'll get you far in life!

Yeah it's a video game and yeah it's a team based game, but if you're in a random mission and blatantly not able to carry ya own weight then either a) be humble / cautious b) be apologetic or at least have some ounce of civility.

 

I dont expect anything from someone, even irl, I do indeed thanks people but because I like it, not because im obligated or something. In the game if someone falls dowm could be for a ton of reason, im no judge for the lacks of "ty" to appeal my needs. I genuinely hope you have some irl expirience to change your mind tho, because th real world doesnt work as you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

I dont expect anything from someone, even irl, I do indeed thanks people but because I like it, not because im obligated or something. In the game if someone falls dowm could be for a ton of reason, im no judge for the lacks of "ty" to appeal my needs. I genuinely hope you have some irl expirience to change your mind tho, because th real world doesnt work as you think

and yet you'd probably be one of the first to complain if the team kept leaving you in a bleedout state. I think it's fair to say most people would wonder what's up if the whole team stopped reviving them and start to take it personally, so where's the line? I'm not judging the reasons why the person went down, I'm just asking that those who are a burden on the team specifically just at least acknowledge it by way of thanks.

Just be polite to your team, they took time away from shooting their favourite gun to stand over you motionless and take a few hits or whatever the least you can do is be jovial and say "cheers bud" anything to show respect / courtesy general humanity to your teammates. My question would be "why wouldn't you? If it's so little hassle to be courteous, what have you got to lose eh!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it's best of the player learning this their own way, so it mixes with their own personality naturally. But mentioning it can help more "solo" players in public lobbies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

and yet you'd probably be one of the first to complain if the team kept leaving you in a bleedout state. I think it's fair to say most people would wonder what's up if the whole team stopped reviving them and start to take it personally, so where's the line? I'm not judging the reasons why the person went down, I'm just asking that those who are a burden on the team specifically just at least acknowledge it by way of thanks.

Ive said, again, that i dont expect anything from anyone, if they dont revive me if fall down I have my owns to do it, the thing about "you sre not ibligated to say ty or help" comes in both directions. Irl people will not be sayin "thank you" for everything you do and no one its obligated to do it icydk. 

 

7 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

Just be polite to your team, they took time away from shooting their favourite gun to stand over you motionless and take a few hits or whatever the least you can do is be jovial and say "cheers bud" anything to show respect / courtesy general humanity to your teammates. My question would be "why wouldn't you? If it's so little hassle to be courteous, what have you got to lose eh!"

See the point above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- there's no need to meltdown if a tridolon hunt goes sideways, it's not a limited time event. just come back in an hour or 2 once night comes back

- don't do sortie spy as frames like rhino and complain when the mission fails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xHeretic said:

Ive said, again, that i dont expect anything from anyone, if they dont revive me if fall down I have my owns to do it, the thing about "you sre not ibligated to say ty or help" comes in both directions. Irl people will not be sayin "thank you" for everything you do and no one its obligated to do it icydk. 

 

See the point above.

Once again you're simply arguing why someone shouldn't have to be polite, civil, courteous etc 

You gotta see it right? Someone holds a door open for you I assume you righteously blow past them all the while chuckling to yourself how you got to squirm out of uttering "thanks"? 

It's about basic civility and respect for others - if you think its respectful to ignore people and assume the world is here to service your needs then best of luck with ice skating uphill

But please, keep telling people why it's pointless to be polite in a team game when someone has gone out of their way to help you repeatedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, W4RM3CH4N1C said:

 

It's about basic civility and respect for others - if you think its respectful to ignore people and assume the world is here to service your needs then best of luck with ice skating uphill

But please, keep telling people why it's pointless to be polite in a team game when someone has gone out of their way to help you repeatedly.

Im not sayin "people shouldnt be polite" im sayin "you dont help people expecting them to be polite" and "people is free to choose if they are polite or not". Your argument is the same as the "nice guys" with girls "im beign nice to you why you dont give me what I want? Jeez what a selfish girl she dont love me back despite everyrhing ive done to her". "Im reviving you why you dont give me what i want? Jeez what a selfish tenno se dont type "ty" despite I stoped using my fav weapon for 5 seconds to press X to revive"

 

Do you see it now? Learn to do the right thing despite the results of your actions, dont expect a prize for anything you do. Its not pointless beign polite, its pointless to stop helping someone in distress because didnt type "ty".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

Im not sayin "people shouldnt be polite" im sayin "you dont help people expecting them to be polite" and "people is free to choose if they are polite or not". Your argument is the same as the "nice guys" with girls "im beign nice to you why you dont give me what I want? Jeez what a selfish girl she dont love me back despite everyrhing ive done to her". "Im reviving you why you dont give me what i want? Jeez what a selfish tenno se dont type "ty" despite I stoped using my fav weapon for 5 seconds to press X to revive"

 

Do you see it now? Learn to do the right thing despite the results of your actions, dont expect a prize for anything you do. Its not pointless beign polite, its pointless to stop helping someone in distress because didnt type "ty".

Okay last post for me on this matter as it really has run it's course and arguing why we shouldn't be polite is redunant.

Your various examples portray a social interaction where there is an expectation of reward for every single minute action that was perceived as positive and that's taking things to extreme, I think common sense should apply at somepoint.

I'm saying after numerous selfless actions, it's common decency to your fellow tenno to at least acknowledge it and be grateful. That's just good manners and the sign of good upbringing. "Pay it forward"

If you want to use an example, It's the simple process of holding doors open, sometimes we do it to be polite, sometimes we do it because we can see someone struggling. Sometimes people don't thank us, but we don't let that ruin our entire day or perception of the next person you hold a door open for. It's about integrity, morals and just being a decent human being and more importantly perpetuating the positivity. Toxic communities start from allowing those acidic few to really have their platform.

At no point do you hear people saying "P*** off i can open the door myself numbnuts" lol I mean you might have, but I would say that's the exception, not the rule 🙂
I appreciate ya replies and civility on the discussion it's been interesting at least - take it easy tenno o7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...