Jump to content
DaMadReaper

Call of the Void - Chapter 1: Adolescence [Closed]

Recommended Posts

Something seemed to start in Karl, maybe it was that itch, maybe it was the hunger.

Maybe it was the Adrenaline in his system as his amygdala flooded his brain with fight or fight chemicals. His claws starting to burst out of his gloves and the glowing scars on his arms starting to glow red, his mouth opening to show his fangs. He was definitely hungry but he seemed to find it in infected flesh. That kid did look a bit too appetizing. "Goddamnit Karl, focus on those monsters!" thought the Lasiran as he looked around to where the voice was coming from. He frowned and looked to the others.

"Did you all hear that?" he asked with a concerned look on his face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

One by one, survivors of the epidemic come together. One by one, they would feel something churning within them. One by one, they feel some dormant part of them come alive. It hungers. It craves. It consumes. However, you are not left with much time to ponder the tingling under your skin, or the gentle sting like the stretching of scar tissue, as you spot them watching you. Men and women, with muscles that stand incorrectly, built for a quadriped, two watching from behind one of the chain link faces, claws entwined with the metal, elongated snouts cracked open to reveal metal fangs standing jagged, slick with anticipation. You turn your head towards the tingling on the hairs at the back of your neck, and you see another pair, sitting atop one of the buildings lining the square, every muscle under their skin tensed, hunters ready to assault their prey, but... they didn't. Not a single one of the abominations so much as twitched. Instead, they just watched.

It would only be seconds until it became apparent what they had been waiting for. The rustling of static invaded the serene silence, a million aural worms wriggling into the sky, drawing attention to the centre of the square where, on the edge of the fountain, sat a battery-operated radio. Still none of the creatures that had seemed so eager to tear them down earlier were making a move.

"Come closer, dear listener. I promise, they won't bite just yet," coos the soft, beckoning voice of a woman, followed by a throaty chuckle that may have been seductive had it not been accompanied by the distinct scratchiness of an old radio. 

Tara didn't feel the tingling or even stinging sensation that some of the others felt, she literally couldn't have with various other physical stimuli that were much stronger than a simple mild sensation on her month-old wound that had healed up without scarring over. No, that sensation was overriden by the soreness she felt from lactic acid buildup in her muscles as a byproduct of all the climbing and running she was doing.

I'll f*cking come closer when I've caught my breath you goddamn stupid b!tch!” she thought to herself when she slowed down to a walk once she realised that the hyenas have stopped chasing her.

Panting, she looked over at where the radio was and realised it was not a two-way radio.

"So this isn't a radio where I can respond to the b!tch. Which means there's some way that she's keeping tabs on me and the people that she's brought over using those dog things... unless she can use them to see." she thought to herself, thoughts flying through her mind before simply picking up the radio.

"Now I know this isn't a two-way radio but I'm betting you have a way of knowing what is going on here, both sight and sound. Mind if I tuned the radio a little to get a better reception?" asked Tara out loud, betting that the woman on the radio could hear her.

Edited by MetroFallout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a distinct disadvantage being both changed and a child. Namely, Gabby wasn't fully developed. Not just physically, but mentally, and so when the hunger surged across them all, it hit her particularly hard. She just about doubled over and shuddered at the tingling sensation that surged through her body. She was behind the nice doctor lady, as instructed, tears still on her face.

That said, when she looked around and spotted the monsters that had been chasing her, she promptly latched back onto the doctor. The physical pressure of the other person was probably the only thing stopping her from going catatonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martijn's attention snapped to the radio as it cracked to life. A woman he hasn't gotten the name of approached it first - thinking of it he was quite sure he caught no names so far, but he might simply have missed it in the succession of events. Not important, introductions could come later. With a light tug on the technocyte leash he convinced the feline to join back at his side. The little creature probably would wander off again if he didn't keep an eye on it. Cats be like that.

That rush of hunger... It was something that felt distant from him. As it seemed to come from his companion. The technocyte beast's fur bristled up, turning into sharp edged spikes for a few moments before settling back into its more innocent form.

It put Martijn's mind at ease, perhaps his hound wasn't as far away as he had thought. He hoped so at least. The voice from the radio made it sound like they'd be in for a fight soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a short moment eyes closed to control that feeling I exhale, no time to leave on anything to distract me of the situation, we clearly all are not monsters despite that infection eating away at us, I can confirm a bunch of us are, the few blades that spun out just like I am drawing mine from my arm, the metalic forms on us. 

Poor girl though, I look at the kid shivering, crying, wishing to help her out, so I come close calmly placing my still human hand on her head. "Don't worry, no matter what, I'm not letting anyone harm a kid." I stick my tongu to her with a wink, cheesy line, sure enough, but I hoped to raise a little smile.

Now for the radio, and the beasts, no matter who they are not showing themselves is not compelling me to hear them out. So I stand there giving the kid some space, blade resting on my shoulder as I say nothing, just letting the electricity in my arm crackle and fizzle as it burns the bandage on my forearm to reveal the crystaline mutation entirely, black veines coursing in the emerald green. 

"No matter what I won't let them touch that kid." A chuckle almost escapes me as that is the sole thought I have in mind in this moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyriann wouldn't even need to give her the arm back, as it left his possession completely by itself, flying off to reconnect with Dino's shoulder. It regained animation right away. She gave him a smile, one that says she hadn't forgotten about a thing. Then she made an OK gesture when he displayed his arm. Neat looking, definitely better to look at than the fleshy gross limbs of those hostile creatures. Nice color too. She wonders what it does.

More people arrived. Were they already in groups or did they really just bump into each other by complete coincidence? By the sound of it, they too were chased by those things... maybe they stopped chasing, fearing the now grouped up survivors? Those thoughts were then cut off by an overwhelming feeling... her stomach suddenly feeling so empty...

"Phew... when was the last time I ate..." she muttered. She couldn't remember, she just really wanted a bit of something, anything right about now. Her arms feel weird too, which is odd, usually she could barely feel them at all...

But it seems she can't finish a single thought before another situation presents itself, though this one is more pressing than the last few. Just one was bad, now she can barely count how many of those beasts are staring them down. The radio is almost just background noise. Anyone with eyes can tell flight isn't an option here. Well, fight it is. She cracks her knuckles, something within her has been aching to punch the creature that's been chasing her all this time, and now she might get to do so, with help even.

"Alright... strength in numbers, people... a strong foundation will hold the fort."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tara's voice passes through the square much like the wind. Strong, unyielding, yet ultimately ineffective. The silence following her question lasts a second, and then two, before the scratchy noise claws its way into their minds once more.

"Closer now, dears? Gooood. It's been far too long, and I've truly missed you all more than you could imagine."

She chuckles, a rich, smooth sound, like melted chocolate.

"Allow me to set the scene. The sky grows dim once more as the gentle shine of the sun bleeds across the horizon, marking the approach of Mother Luna overhead, bringing with her the end of any sanctuary they had thought theirs when they had entered Saint Gabriel's Square."

As the reality of their situation set in, they could all feel something screaming within them, some forgotten, animal part of them that they could never truly be rid of. They had never asked for this, it yelled. They had never asked to be hunted by those damned creatures, it screamed. They had never asked for the metal scars that tugged at the edges of their skin, vying for more ground. "

A round of cackles ring out through the assorted audience, high pitched noises repeated in variant cadences and pitches as claws slam into fence and roof, noises of joy devoid of any human constraints such as sanity or empathy. Even still, when you look into their eyes, you see much more than simple sadism. You see understanding. You see rage. You even see a hint of smugness, arising from knowing something that you clearly do not. Before you spend too long considering the implications, the woman's voice continues, still clearly enunciated like one often sees in audio broadcasts. 

"They had never asked, and yet they had received. And now? Now, they faced the consequences of another's actions, staring down the Hyena Pack, praying that if this was the end of the line, death would take them quickly. Welcome, one and all, to the Adolescence, season two, episode one."

And then it's over.

Edited by DaMadReaper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabby huddled in closer to Agnes, eyes darting around as the cackling howls rebounded around the square, the eyes of the... hyenas full of emotions she only just recognised.

But the words on the radio? They reached her. Gabby wasn't a genius by any means, and she lacked experience that the adults of the group doubtless had, but she could draw conclusions that they might not because she thought differently. She was eleven after all. Children did think differently. 

So she spoke up for the first time.

"That could have been us. Couldn't it?" Her high, clear voice broke the silence, even as her eyes darted to others in the group.

Then, more quietly.

"We're going to have to run again, aren't we?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DaMadReaper said:

Tara's voice passes through the square much like the wind. Strong, unyielding, yet ultimately ineffective. The silence following her question lasts a second, and then two, before the scratchy noise claws its way into their minds once more.

"Closer now, dears? Gooood. It's been far too long, and I've truly missed you all more than you could imagine."

She chuckles, a rich, smooth sound, like melted chocolate.

"Allow me to set the scene. The sky grows dim once more as the gentle shine of the sun bleeds across the horizon, marking the approach of Mother Luna overhead, bringing with her the end of any sanctuary they had thought theirs when they had entered Saint Gabriel's Square."

As the reality of their situation set in, they could all feel something screaming within them, some forgotten, animal part of them that they could never truly be rid of. They had never asked for this, it yelled. They had never asked to be hunted by those damned creatures, it screamed. They had never asked for the metal scars that tugged at the edges of their skin, vying for more ground. "

A round of cackles ring out through the assorted audience, high pitched noises repeated in variant cadences and pitches as claws slam into fence and roof, noises of joy devoid of any human constraints such as sanity or empathy. Even still, when you look into their eyes, you see much more than simple sadism. You see understanding. You see rage. You even see a hint of smugness, arising from knowing something that you clearly do not. Before you spend too long considering the implications, the woman's voice continues, still clearly enunciated like one often sees in audio broadcasts. 

"They had never asked, and yet they had received. And now? Now, they faced the consequences of another's actions, staring down the Hyena Pack, praying that if this was the end of the line, death would take them quickly. Welcome, one and all, to the Adolescence, season two, episode one."

And then it is over.

"Well that was a whole lot of nothing..." muttered Tara as she set the radio back down on the ground. "No answers, no nothing and we're going to be attacked by these things. That's great."

Her eyes rolled as she took a deep breath and tried to figure out her next move. Her gaze moved towards the others who were like her all around her and to the hyenas and their gaze. Their intelligence seemed human or at least formerly human, despite being unable or unwilling to vocalize anything beyond laughter, the hyenas were able to communicate their emotions at the very least and Tara did not like what she saw.

"They're mocking us... I know it." she thought to herself, her eyes narrowing unconsciously under her hooded mask when she looked into theirs. "I don't like this. I need to talk with these people, figure a way out of this square... before they tear us apart."

Approaching the other infected individuals with her bow retracted back into her technocyte-infected cloaking suit, she showed them her palms, confirming that she was indeed unarmed and meant them no harm.

"Any ideas on how to get out of this? Before they start... I dunno, chasing us again?" she asked, choosing her words carefully so as not to perhaps upset the little one who was among them, having had practice with children due to her having to help raise her youngest siblings about 18 years ago when her almost absentee parents were too busy with work to take care of the twins that arrived late into her teen years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martijn blinked as he let the words cross through his mind. Wanting to piece together what he could first. “It’s been far too long” was what stuck with him most, had this gathering happened before? Well, he’d have his answer soon enough. The four words the speech ended with “season two, episode one.” As things were, he could only hope it didn’t mean he’d end up like them.

His thoughts where scattered to the four winds not by the sounds of the pack, but by another of the ‘sane’ speaking up. It was... a difficult question to answer. Tracing back any paths they followed might lead to getting cornered, and without his hound he knew he was next to useless in a proper fight. Not that he had high hopes for their odds with many against what... six? He wasn’t sure of the count, but it wouldn’t change much.

He choice to remain silent. The words he would say were far from encouraging, and in general he knew it was better if he kept his mouth shut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

Tara's voice passes through the square much like the wind. Strong, unyielding, yet ultimately ineffective. The silence following her question lasts a second, and then two, before the scratchy noise claws its way into their minds once more.

"Closer now, dears? Gooood. It's been far too long, and I've truly missed you all more than you could imagine."

She chuckles, a rich, smooth sound, like melted chocolate.

"Allow me to set the scene. The sky grows dim once more as the gentle shine of the sun bleeds across the horizon, marking the approach of Mother Luna overhead, bringing with her the end of any sanctuary they had thought theirs when they had entered Saint Gabriel's Square."

As the reality of their situation set in, they could all feel something screaming within them, some forgotten, animal part of them that they could never truly be rid of. They had never asked for this, it yelled. They had never asked to be hunted by those damned creatures, it screamed. They had never asked for the metal scars that tugged at the edges of their skin, vying for more ground. "

A round of cackles ring out through the assorted audience, high pitched noises repeated in variant cadences and pitches as claws slam into fence and roof, noises of joy devoid of any human constraints such as sanity or empathy. Even still, when you look into their eyes, you see much more than simple sadism. You see understanding. You see rage. You even see a hint of smugness, arising from knowing something that you clearly do not. Before you spend too long considering the implications, the woman's voice continues, still clearly enunciated like one often sees in audio broadcasts. 

"They had never asked, and yet they had received. And now? Now, they faced the consequences of another's actions, staring down the Hyena Pack, praying that if this was the end of the line, death would take them quickly. Welcome, one and all, to the Adolescence, season two, episode one."

And then it's over.

The voice on the radio that Karl failed to notice first time had started to annoy the infected former CEO.

He turned back to the Hyena pack that seemed to be set on murdering them. He stared at the Hyenas eyes and saw their insanity and their rage and felt a strange obligation to face them but his lungs reminded him that he wasn't in a state to fight nor was he the most effective fighter, he coughed and wheezed before he looked over to the young foreign girl before he looked back to the Hyenas. "I don't think we-" another cough, another burning sensation in his lungs still wracked from the running from these freaks before hand. "-have a choice." his english becoming more understandable as he felt something in his bloodstream make his brain more sharper.

Maybe that was the Adrenaline flooding his Amygdala or maybe it was something more...alien than this infection. He looked around and to his fellow coherent infected, well those that looked coherent and not looking like a tasty snack, the woman with the bow was asking for ideas then Karl decided to speak up "I might know an exit but...I haven't a clue how safe it is." he answered. Despite his rich presence, Karl made it a point to know his city's streets well and how it worked, it was the best way to make his business work but now? it would help him and these others survive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

And then it's over.

"What... what kind of sick game is this?!"

Whatever sort of joke this is, she did not at all appreciate its punchline. The kind of joke that'd make a child cry, literally in this sense. This whole thing being staged by someone intelligent... or was it one of those beings? They look human enough... could they also be intelligent? If so, this is one pack of apex predators nobody would want to cross, with the only human part left being their cruel sense of humor. That laugh is uncanny...

Though the one question that takes priority over all others: how will they survive this encounter? They may be a group but she has only two fists...

"None of us could shake those things, and they weren't even trying to catch us until now..."

C'mon Dino, try saying something good... maybe...

"... are there any entrances to the sewers around here? We could lose them there!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Le 20/09/2019 à 16:52, MetroFallout a dit :

"Any ideas on how to get out of this? Before they start... I dunno, chasing us again?" she asked, choosing her words carefully so as not to perhaps upset the little one who was among them, having had practice with children due to her having to help raise her youngest siblings about 18 years ago when her almost absentee parents were too busy with work to take care of the twins that arrived late into her teen years.

Le 20/09/2019 à 16:26, Spikey844 a dit :

"We're going to have to run again, aren't we?"

We're in danger, no doubt on that one, if those hyenas are anything to judge by their names, that laugh is them considering us as food. Everyone is wise to look for an exit or consider fleeing, but, those things directed us towards here, meaning they probably have the advantage when it comes to both chasing and hunting, probably including fighting in the mix for good measure.

"Come on think..." I mutter to myself, I have to find an idea, splitting up the group we have is the worst possible idea, we have to organize, run, and lay down traps to reduce the number of those monsters.

Le 20/09/2019 à 21:43, Drakeardian a dit :

"I might know an exit but...I haven't a clue how safe it is."

Il y a 20 heures, Denny2669 a dit :

"None of us could shake those things, and they weren't even trying to catch us until now..."

C'mon Dino, try saying something good... maybe...

"... are there any entrances to the sewers around here? We could lose them there!"

Sewers... An exit... If only I knew what we all can do, maybe we could draw out a trap... The girl can distach her arm, I have my electricity, if we could find a cable we'd be able to at least trample and shock one...would work only once but that would also take one out. "You,..." I point to the one who talked of an exit. "... safe or not an exit is our best option, think you can find it ?" We have to move before the hyenas charge. "Anyone that can lay traps or something ? If we have a way out, we could use it to trap those things and take them out... Or at least try and have them loose our track."

I tighten my left hand to a fist, can't let an ounce of a shake go out, if those things smell we are afraid beyond just the fear of the situation, they're going to attack, staying calm and thinking is all I can do, so I have to keep at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Are we going to play  on...This individual's tune?

There's something in my voice that almost seems unnatural to me. Typically, they nickname me "the chill one" because, well, I don't panic. I don't usually get mad, either. So that cold rage in my own voice? It feels odd. And yet right. It makes sense. I guess I'm just more angry than I thought.

"Don't know for the rest of you but I feel like I've done enough fleeing for a lifetime. With enough fighters, what we could do is find a narrow enough back alley so that only one of these canines can enter at a time, we keep those who cannot fight behind us. And then, we bring them down, one by one if we must. Because frankly...F-Damn doing what this lunatic wants."

Edited by 404Cygni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the radio broadcast now over, the group's mind had shifted to considering their escape plans, thoughts being thrown around regarding where they would go to escape the inhuman terror that followed. Perhaps it was due to this breakneck pace of distractions coming at them from all sides that they had failed to notice the discrepancy in the number of Hyenas that were currrently in view. Two on the fence, two on the rooftops, making four total, and yet, there had been seven people being hounded at once. That left... three unaccounted for?

They weren't given much time to consider that possibility as the two Hyenas on the roof dropped to the ground, raising small puffs of dust that had gathered in the time that the city had been abandoned. Beneath their skin, shapes roiled in patterns unlike anything within the human body, with some who had had pets perhaps recognising some aspects of the muscle structure. Mixes of feline and canine traits lended themselves to a uniquely deadly combination, evident in the way they stalked forward, their quadripedal stance reminiscent of some sort of big cat. Once more, another round of chuckles fill the air. However, something was... wrong. There were... more. Two more, to be exact, directly behind and above the group, perched on yet another rooftop. While it was unclear when they had gotten there, their stance perfectly conveyed their intentions, coiled like a spring, an instant from launch.

It was time to go.

Edited by DaMadReaper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

With the radio broadcast now over, the group's mind had shifted to considering their escape plans, thoughts being thrown around regarding where they would go to escape the inhuman terror that followed. Perhaps it was due to this breakneck pace of distractions coming at them from all sides that they had failed to notice the discrepancy in the number of Hyenas that were currrently in view. Two on the fence, two on the rooftops, making four total, and yet, there had been seven people being hounded at once. That left... three unaccounted for?

They weren't given much time to consider that possibility as the two Hyenas on the roof dropped to the ground, raising small puffs of dust that had gathered in the time that the city had been abandoned. Beneath their skin, shapes roiled in patterns unlike anything within the human body, with some who had had pets perhaps recognising some aspects of the muscle structure. Mixes of feline and canine traits lended themselves to a uniquely deadly combination, evident in the way they stalked forward, their quadripedal stance reminiscent of some sort of big cat. Once more, another round of chuckles fill the air. However, something was... wrong. There were... more. Two more, to be exact, directly behind and above the group, perched on yet another rooftop. While it was unclear when they had gotten there, their stance perfectly conveyed their intentions, coiled like a spring, an instant from launch.

It was time to go.

That was the moment Karl decided to look to the Doctor then called out "Ah...yes, there's one just nearby here!" he remarked, recalling a sewer grate somewhere around here though his memory was a bit fuzzy. "Also, run! Now!" he yelled out, stepping back once then proceeding to leg it down the square, hopefully finding that sewer grate sooner or later otherwise he'd be lunch for these freaks, he'd rather have them for lunch, they did look rather tasty.

He couldn't focus on the taste for the moment, he had to focus on the current situation, the fact he was being chased once more with fellow survivors like him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to recognise the animalistic muscle structure within these beasts was something that instilled worry in Martijn. He had been attacked by large dogs before, didn't provide any peace of mind for him to be in such a similar situation. Then again being chased by soldiers, infected, and what else still was left in the city should over very little ease of mind.

And someone was running. It wasn't a plan that Martijn had high hopes about. The hyenas barely had any trouble keeping up with him before, and he didn't doubt the same counted for the others, but falling behind didn't seem appealing either. The Dutchman dashed after Karl, snatching his feline companion from the ground. If only he knew how to turn that damned thing back into a dog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Run! Follow him!"

Dino called out to the others once Karl dashed off, mainly to the woman who had that child hiding behind her. Those need to go first, protected by some of the armed guys. That woman seemed pretty capable of defending herself too, with that shield she'll do well at the front. As for Dino though, she'll make sure she's last in line. After all, she can leave behind something for those beasts to much on as they run, she believes to be the best suited for stalling should they catch up. Of course she's not planning to die here, but that doesn't mean safe choices in Dino's mind. Trying to protect them all without really considering their help, that's her.

"What are you waiting for? Go!"

She said to whoever wasn't hauling @ss yet. She raised her fists to wait level and faced the hyenas, keeping all their known locations in mind, only sprinting off after the others once all of them are behind her and running. The first beast to try and lunge at her will her a face-full of flying fist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabby instinctively recognised the Hyena's position. They were ready to pounce, and she was a rabbit in headlights, frozen in fear. 

Then people started yelling to run, and Gabby decided that that was a very good idea. She took off after the others, coat flapping as she ran, little feet pattering against the ground, remarkably quiet considering she was wearing boots. Her hair was flying behind her, an auburn mane streaming out. 

Oddly, her mind flashed back to a film she'd watched once. Well, she said she'd watched it, more like caught a few minutes of it when it had been on telly one evening. Her father had come in after a bit and changed the channel, saying she was a little too young to be watching it. But she'd seen enough that a particular phrase stuck in her head.

Run Forrest, run? More like run Gabby, run!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As she turned to run, Tara noticed that Gabby was lagging behind the taller and faster adults. If this keeps up, unless she's capable of some serious dodging, she will be last and the hyenas will get to her.

"This will not do." she thought to herself as she approached the young girl from behind.

"Little one! Jump on my back! I'll slow down when I pass you, make sure you hold on tight!" she called out to her as she caught up with her and got ready to pass her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...That's our game, I suppose. I see where it comes from, and I can't deny it makes sense but...Damn it. It just feels like an overall failure to turn tail and run like that, but at this point we might as well commit to it. At least for now.

So I get running weaponry retracting again and following the group without much issue...And then I skid to a halt. That woman...She had a bow, right? I think so? She was offering the kid a piggyback. Probably not a bad idea but...

"Take your decision and take it fast, I'll cover you as needed, but in the name of...Whatever it is you believe in, do it quickly! We're sort of in a hurry right now!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fall back, following the others but keeping an eye on those beasts. I know I have no chances alone, yet if they attack, someone will have to fend them off, we need and enclosed space, where I could use the length of my blade to my advantage and force them in one on ones while the archer could be attacking them from safety...

Wishful thinking on my part, but that's all I have at the moment, we need to escape, that's all that matters. I see her, the archer, trying to help the kid so I slow down a bit just so we don't end up leaving someone behind.

Edited by Cyriann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MetroFallout said:

As she turned to run, Tara noticed that Gabby was lagging behind the taller and faster adults. If this keeps up, unless she's capable of some serious dodging, she will be last and the hyenas will get to her.

"This will not do." she thought to herself as she approached the young girl from behind.

"Little one! Jump on my back! I'll slow down when I pass you, make sure you hold on tight!" she called out to her as she caught up with her and got ready to pass her.

Gabby snapped her head around, even as her hair whipped into her face, hearing the tall woman's offer. Considering how tired she felt from having run all day, she thought it a very wise thing to take up the woman on her offer.

In a display of rather remarkable dexterity and strength, she grabbed onto Tara's upper arm with her own arm, and, in a single move, swung herself up onto her back, clinging on for dear life.

Though not without crying, "Mush!" when she thought she was secure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coiled up Hyena slams into the ground just an instant after the group had begun running, rolling with the impact of its missed attempt in an effort to minimise the damage sustained. With its muscles once more rearranged into the quadripedal arrangement, it cackles into the dark. Though the exact message behind such a motion would likely only be understood by someone who had been trained to do so, the rough message was more or less clear. Chase.

Chase they did. As the group bounded down the street, powered by an intense sense of self-preservation, the Hyenas followed in earnest, claws digging into the surfaces of rooftops for traction as they closed in on their prey. However, as fast they were, it seemed that even they would eventually tire out, falling behind the group somewhat as the path went on. It was here that Tara had found a window of opportunity to help the small child. Judging by the speed at which the Hyenas had been running, they should have had a small window to pause, breathe, and then resume their escape attempt. They should have, but they didn't. While they had considered the Hyenas' running speed, none had considered that one of the creatures would perform an astounding feat of strength, pouncing over the advance guard from a truly ridiculous distance away, aiming to catch Tara and Gabby while they weren't in a position to do much.

As it did this, a second would follow in its footsteps, though a bit later than the first, and with a different target. This one had aimed for Agnes, the most intimidating of the group guarding the child and adult duo. It seemed that they had planned to make use of a time-honored animal tradition. Take down the largest, most intimidating member of a group in order to assert dominance, and right now, the greatsword wielding doctor was the single greatest threat to them, and the one to end.

Meanwhile, the group would be able to spot the manhole not too far down the street. It was more than close enough to reach, if only they could find a decent window to run. As it was, however, they would be forced to fight for every inch with tooth and nail. It seemed the Hyenas were not too eager to let their prey go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something in Karl starts to swirl as he watches one Hyena lung for the child and the Archer, his eyes glowed red, his claws started to show and he started to produce his fangs, maybe it was the fight in his Amygdala starting to show. Agnes could probably take care of himself but that kid and that archer? well maybe at range but Karl had to do something.

He yelled at Agnes "Watch out!" before he rushed for that delicious Hyena that managed to pounce on the two, he jumped up and tackled the Hyena off the kid and the archer, grabbing the monster's back and started to send his fangs into the monster's neck whilst wrapping his arms around it's torso, his claws digging into its hide and causing a deeper wound, a noise similar to how one sucks a soda with a straw loudly. The blood tasted like a fine wine, one he knew very well. 

Edited by Drakeardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...