DaMadReaper

Call of the Void - Chapter 1: Adolescence [Closed]

It took a while as Karl got to the mess room and sat down to await something to eat, sitting down at a table where the rest of his makeshift party were, including that woman, Dino. He waited for the meats and vegetables was handed out and he got into his meal, tucking in as he tried to not show his hands or the holes in his gloves that allowed his claws to show. He ate away as much as he could of what counted as food here, not caring for quality, it was just nice to eat something after a long time starving, eating like a man insane. Eventually, he ate everything to the last spoonful and rested on the table.

He knew it was going to be a long day but he didn't care. It was the best meal he had in ages.

It didn't feel quite as good as what he drank from that Hyena he bit into but it was better than nothing, he grabbed his drink of what he assumed was water and drank it down to wash the food down a bit better before he looked to the others and sigh. "So...what do we do now?" he asked, not looking to Dino at the moment, he knew that conversation would come up later.

After eating, I feel myself slumping down in the chair, a long sigh coming out of me, in security, as relative as it is, we are in security. A realization I hadn't allowed myself to accept, after all, be it me, or any of the others in the little group of frantically fleeing survivors, we were all bearers of infection, my cristaline arm (as always hidden under bandages), the little kid's feline attributes, Dino's detachable arms.
Had I been in someone else's boots, I'd be affraid of our group, but considering Yeva, and that horned, maybe we are all, if not majoritally sporting traces of infection in this whole place.

Then I look to that kid, realizing she still ahsn't spoken her name, would be time we actually know how to call her. "Say kid, could you give me your name ?" We had introduced ourselves in that chase, having names to put on faces is easier for shoutouts after all, but she had kept silent, and we all called her kid.

13 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

-snip-

Despite being deeply drawn to the smell of food wafting through the room, Gabby didn’t miss the hesitation in the servers when they saw her hands. She drew them back into her sleeves a somewhat fearful expression crossing her face. 

But them something very important caught her attention. 

The food

It proceeded to occupy her attention for next few minutes as she devoured her plate load in a swift and ruthlessly efficient manner. Only her surprisingly good manners stopped it looking like stuffing her face.

Just.

15 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

As the group files into their spots at a table, the room stops its chatter for just a moment, with curious onlookers eyeing them up. It seemed that newcomers to the Homefront weren't all that normal a sight... Eventually, already proceeding conversations picked back up, the rising chatter drowning out the sound of the group themselves. Slowly, the smell of food would waft its way through the makeshift cafeteria. Perhaps not the best, but just enough of a sweet smell to set off the hunger in the rather starved members of the party. However, there would be no sign of anything edible for a few minutes yet. The explanation would soon come in the form of a man, standing up at the end of the mass of tables, giving the crowd a patient look.

He was tall, wide-shouldered even for his height, with toned muscles built for function, rather than vanity. Fitness born of physical labour, rather than any particular exercise. Standing there in a simple get-up of a black t-shirt stretched tight against his skin, and a rather well-worn pair of jeans, many would write him off as just another man of the country, drawn to the city by promises of safety in numbers, of food and of resources. That is, until they saw the beginnings of a pair of horns, metallic gray, making their way out from the top of his head. Further splotches of the technocyte made their way down his face in a continuous stream, painting much of his neck as well, before disappearing under his shirt, only making further appearances at the edges of his sleeves. 

Either through his own force of presence, or through the crowd's desire for him to finish so that the meal could begin, the conversations they had all seemed so invested in moments ago were dying down into an absolute silence, waiting for the horned man to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Homefront. I'll avoid the usual spiel today, as we have more important matters to discuss than the fifteenth day in a row of Infected roaming and miscellaneous announcements. As of today, we have a number of new people staying with us. I ask that you take the time to introduce yourselves, and to assist them in finding their feet. As for said new people, feel free to approach any of our people with questions, or when you require assistance. Furthermore, with Yeva's return, we are able to begin initiating Operators once more. If any are interested, approach myself or Yeva on the third floor. With all of that said, I would like to remind everyone that there are children on the premises, and if you choose to partake in... horizontal relaxation, kindly keep it down."

It seemed that the last sentence had been rather... pointed, with the man turning to look at a certain man, who himself seemed to be attempting to disappear into his jacket. Allowing himself a hint of a smile, the horned man continued.

"Before I dismiss the meeting and allow the meal to begin, I would like to warn everyone that there had been some... unusual Infected sighted near the Homefront. It may be a good choice to keep the children inside for a few days. With that said, thank you for listening, and may God watch over you all."

He finished with a nod, before taking his seat once more, making a point to ignore the rolling of eyes at his final statement. With all of that over, however, a number of the Homefront's residents began streaming in with a mishmash of plates, both the dishes and silverware having been mixed and matched from whatever could be acquired. A well-practiced routine, each of the servers seemed to already know their table assignments, making their way through with little hesitation, and even less of a break in pattern, only momentarily pausing at the sight of Gabby's clearly Infected hands. Nevertheless, the routine is picked up again in a matter of seconds, and dinner is served, allowing the workers to disappear back into the kitchen.

Having gotten an understanding of how Homefront worked from Arlo while she was in the armoury, Tara felt uncomfortable while she ate the meal that she was given. She understood that they were paying it forward but the fact that she didn't work for the meal didn't quite sit right with her. Still, plenty of opportunity to work for them on her own time once she's been initiated. She could accept that the meal was an investment on their behalf in exchange for her help later.

2 hours ago, Cyriann said:

After eating, I feel myself slumping down in the chair, a long sigh coming out of me, in security, as relative as it is, we are in security. A realization I hadn't allowed myself to accept, after all, be it me, or any of the others in the little group of frantically fleeing survivors, we were all bearers of infection, my cristaline arm (as always hidden under bandages), the little kid's feline attributes, Dino's detachable arms.
Had I been in someone else's boots, I'd be affraid of our group, but considering Yeva, and that horned, maybe we are all, if not majoritally sporting traces of infection in this whole place.

Then I look to that kid, realizing she still ahsn't spoken her name, would be time we actually know how to call her. "Say kid, could you give me your name ?" We had introduced ourselves in that chase, having names to put on faces is easier for shoutouts after all, but she had kept silent, and we all called her kid.

Looking over at the rest of those that she arrived with, her eyes fell towards the youngest, littlest of them. It was definitely something that was bothering her, not knowing the kid's name. Something that she's going to remedy right now.

"Can't really call you little one or kid forever. What's your name? You can tell us, you're among... well I guess you could consider us friends? Since we're all in this together." she said, giving the smallest Tenno her best reassuring smile.

6 hours ago, Cyriann said:

4 hours ago, MetroFallout said:

Having gotten an understanding of how Homefront worked from Arlo while she was in the armoury, Tara felt uncomfortable while she ate the meal that she was given. She understood that they were paying it forward but the fact that she didn't work for the meal didn't quite sit right with her. Still, plenty of opportunity to work for them on her own time once she's been initiated. She could accept that the meal was an investment on their behalf in exchange for her help later.

Looking over at the rest of those that she arrived with, her eyes fell towards the youngest, littlest of them. It was definitely something that was bothering her, not knowing the kid's name. Something that she's going to remedy right now.

"Can't really call you little one or kid forever. What's your name? You can tell us, you're among... well I guess you could consider us friends? Since we're all in this together." she said, giving the smallest Tenno her best reassuring smile.

Gabby looked up from her food and blinked slowly, first at Cyriann, then at Tara, her head swivelling between the two. "I didn't? Oh." She tilted her head slightly to one side. She looked back at Cyriann, then gave him a downright mischievous smile. "I didn't know you were a fae." She waggled her fork at him. "I know not to give my name to a fae, but you may call me Gabby." 

She looked inordinately proud of herself. No fairy was going to steal her free will.

The virus might.... 

That though floated through her mind, and made her face fall for a moment, before she put her bright smile back on.

Martijn barely felt like he was there, in the mess hall, eating food. His mind was far off as he was eating his meal. His thoughts were lingering with the unusual infected activity that was mentioned the speaker earlier. To call the hyena like monsters that chased them was an understatement, but it made feel the Dutchman just a little more lucky to still be alive. Luck wasn't something he should rely on though. With how lucky he had been ever since he got infected it was bound to run out. 

21 hours ago, Drakeardian said:

"So...what do we do now?"

That question pulled him out of his reverie, making his attention shift up to Karl. It was a good question. "I'm thinking of checking out that operator initiation. It sounds interesting." He admits as he looks down at the infested tether on his hand, still binding him to the cat that was simply laying on the ground below him. "With how those showers are set up I hope they can tell us a bit more about well... the whole being infected thing?" 

On 2019-12-16 at 4:51 PM, Spikey844 said:

"I didn't? Oh." She tilted her head slightly to one side. She looked back at Cyriann, then gave him a downright mischievous smile. "I didn't know you were a fae." She waggled her fork at him. "I know not to give my name to a fae, but you may call me Gabby."

"Gab it is then." Dino smiled after swallowing her last bite. The food was delicious, and she dug in like a starved dog at a fast food restaurant. It's not that she didn't have table manners, but these arms were difficult to work precisely with, resulting in some shaky movements and dented silverware. Still, she listened to the people around her, especially to the (beyond adorable) one with similarly disfigured limbs.

"You can definitely call me a friend. I look out for my own, y'know?"

On 2019-12-15 at 8:47 PM, Drakeardian said:

"So...what do we do now?" he asked, not looking to Dino at the moment, he knew that conversation would come up later.

"We? You can go look for coins under other people's tables for all I care." Dino voiced. Maybe he was trying to avoid her, but he still was in her presence, and she'll make sure he's aware of his position at all times. She will not associate herself with this corporate degenerate. That's enough about him though, the subject at hand does seem important, and that other guy - Martjin was his name? - already expressed himself on it. Might as well join.

"I'm a fully qualified architect, and this place is in bad shape. I'm gonna see if they have any need for reconstruction experts."

1 hour ago, Denny2669 said:

"We? You can go look for coins under other people's tables for all I care." Dino voiced. Maybe he was trying to avoid her, but he still was in her presence, and she'll make sure he's aware of his position at all times. She will not associate herself with this corporate degenerate. That's enough about him though, the subject at hand does seem important, and that other guy - Martjin was his name? - already expressed himself on it. Might as well join.

"I'm a fully qualified architect, and this place is in bad shape. I'm gonna see if they have any need for reconstruction experts."

Unfortunately, Dino may be on thin ice with Karl as he stared at the woman with the floating arms and clenched the fork in his gloved hand. Inwardly, he knew all the hate was justified but he was suffering enough with the reality check. He didn't need Dino mocking him for his past actions. he just faced but he remained outwardly calm and didn't raise his voice.

"Fine. Whilst the Architect works to make this place function better, I'll be out there. Putting my neck out there instead of being cooped up like a hermit." he stated though gritted teeth as he slowly started to stand up and prepare to make his way to find the woman who could make him an Operator but he stopped, turned around and stared at Dino, gripping the table across from her, locking eyes with her. "You may hate me for all I've done and I can't apologise enough for my actions but I will not stay here like an abused animal and keep looking back." he hissed at the Architect before he started to make his way to the boss of this Homefront, to see about doing some work that would make him useful to this outpost.

Anything to keep the nightmares back...

On 2019-12-17 at 10:12 PM, Denny2669 said:

"Gab it is then." Dino smiled after swallowing her last bite. The food was delicious, and she dug in like a starved dog at a fast food restaurant. It's not that she didn't have table manners, but these arms were difficult to work precisely with, resulting in some shaky movements and dented silverware. Still, she listened to the people around her, especially to the (beyond adorable) one with similarly disfigured limbs.

"You can definitely call me a friend. I look out for my own, y'know?"

On 2019-12-18 at 12:23 AM, Drakeardian said:

Unfortunately, Dino may be on thin ice with Karl as he stared at the woman with the floating arms and clenched the fork in his gloved hand. Inwardly, he knew all the hate was justified but he was suffering enough with the reality check. He didn't need Dino mocking him for his past actions. he just faced but he remained outwardly calm and didn't raise his voice.

"Fine. Whilst the Architect works to make this place function better, I'll be out there. Putting my neck out there instead of being cooped up like a hermit." he stated though gritted teeth as he slowly started to stand up and prepare to make his way to find the woman who could make him an Operator but he stopped, turned around and stared at Dino, gripping the table across from her, locking eyes with her. "You may hate me for all I've done and I can't apologise enough for my actions but I will not stay here like an abused animal and keep looking back." he hissed at the Architect before he started to make his way to the boss of this Homefront, to see about doing some work that would make him useful to this outpost.

Anything to keep the nightmares back...

Gabby looked at ....Karl's? Karl's retreating back in some confusion, before looking back at Dino. Though young, she was not blind to the animosity between the two, and could tell it was mostly Dino angry at Karl, with the latter being more resigned than anything else. She didn't understand why though. The two had only met with everyone else in the square, as far as she knew anyway, but still there was the conflict between the two.

"Why don't you like him?" She asked Dino after a moment, head tilted to one side.

On 2019-12-18 at 1:23 AM, Drakeardian said:

Martijn looked after Karl leave. He was the only one that Martijn had talked to that seemed to have a similar interest in the Operators, and he had hoped to get a conversation going at least before Dino insulted the man. This was just great. With a sigh he pushed himself up from his seat, picking Maya from the ground and setting her on his shoulder. He considered staying for maybe a minute or two more as a question fell from Gabby.

1 hour ago, Spikey844 said:

"Why don't you like him?" She asked Dino after a moment, head tilted to one side.

He might have stayed to listen to the answer too, if it wasn't for the fact he had already gotten up, and felt like it was too awkward to sit back down to listen for the reply. Thus he'd simply go on his way, trailing after Karl. "Hey wait up!" He called out.

I give a smile to Gabby as she answers me. "I'm no fae, but your right, names hold a strong power to others." I give her a wink.

At first I considered following on Karl after he started butting heads with Dino, but then Gabby asked her why she acted like that, prompting me to wait.
For now I ahd no reasons to speak up, finishing my meal calmly to see how things would evolve.

On 2019-12-18 at 1:23 AM, Drakeardian said:

"Fine. Whilst the Architect works to make this place function better, I'll be out there. Putting my neck out there instead of being cooped up like a hermit." he stated though gritted teeth as he slowly started to stand up and prepare to make his way to find the woman who could make him an Operator but he stopped, turned around and stared at Dino, gripping the table across from her, locking eyes with her. "You may hate me for all I've done and I can't apologize enough for my actions but I will not stay here like an abused animal and keep looking back." he hissed at the Architect before he started to make his way to the boss of this Homefront, to see about doing some work that would make him useful to this outpost.

"Whatever, rich boy." Dino muttered in response, he probably didn't hear. None of his words really sounded like anything but bullS#&$. Those guys are full of empty words, fat with them in fact. He's playing innocent now that he's brought down to everyone's level. It's a miracle that he got this far...

5 hours ago, Spikey844 said:

Dino was pulled out of her hateful gaze into nothingness by the little girl's question. It didn't need to take a perceptive person to notice he doesn't have that man in best regards. And since she's a child, she clearly has no idea who he is, or how the big guys up top in their shiny suits rob people of more than any lowlife punk with a gun ever could. Still, she knows kids have that childish optimism, thinking that you can get along with everyone if you try... well, the good kids at least. There's bad kids too... but this Gabby is a good kid, she can tell. She'll have to take care explaining this...

"... Karl Zakharov. He's the big boss of a company called Juno. He's... peh, I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. He's a bad guy, corrupt to the core. He plays nice with sweet speeches on camera, but he's a lying backstabber. Underpaying his workers, overpricing his products, pulling dirty tricks to tear down historical buildings and build hospitals - which are practically paper houses on sand with a pretty coat of paint - and he's also a jerk. How do I know? Ask his ex wives and bastard children, he's probably forgotten about them anyway."

The more Dino spoke, the more her grip on the table tightened. It wasn't until she was done that she noticed the indentations her fingers left. She felt rightly awkward, not only for damaging other's property but loosing her cool talking about that guy to a kid. She sighed, calming down somewhat. Her gaze shifted into the distance again.

"How can people like him make this far, but other people, honest, better people..." she clenched her teeth, then relaxed them again "Like hell I'm gonna accept that."

1 hour ago, Denny2669 said:

"Whatever, rich boy." Dino muttered in response, he probably didn't hear. None of his words really sounded like anything but bullS#&$. Those guys are full of empty words, fat with them in fact. He's playing innocent now that he's brought down to everyone's level. It's a miracle that he got this far...

Dino was pulled out of her hateful gaze into nothingness by the little girl's question. It didn't need to take a perceptive person to notice he doesn't have that man in best regards. And since she's a child, she clearly has no idea who he is, or how the big guys up top in their shiny suits rob people of more than any lowlife punk with a gun ever could. Still, she knows kids have that childish optimism, thinking that you can get along with everyone if you try... well, the good kids at least. There's bad kids too... but this Gabby is a good kid, she can tell. She'll have to take care explaining this...

"... Karl Zakharov. He's the big boss of a company called Juno. He's... peh, I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. He's a bad guy, corrupt to the core. He plays nice with sweet speeches on camera, but he's a lying backstabber. Underpaying his workers, overpricing his products, pulling dirty tricks to tear down historical buildings and build hospitals - which are practically paper houses on sand with a pretty coat of paint - and he's also a jerk. How do I know? Ask his ex wives and bastard children, he's probably forgotten about them anyway."

The more Dino spoke, the more her grip on the table tightened. It wasn't until she was done that she noticed the indentations her fingers left. She felt rightly awkward, not only for damaging other's property but loosing her cool talking about that guy to a kid. She sighed, calming down somewhat. Her gaze shifted into the distance again.

"How can people like him make this far, but other people, honest, better people..." she clenched her teeth, then relaxed them again "Like hell I'm gonna accept that."

Gabby gave Dino a long and considering look, mulling over what she’d just heard. Hatred wasn’t something she’d dealt with much, only in books and on tele, and the occasional film. But she had seen it once with her own eyes, two people having a shouting match in the middle of the street in broad daylight. She hadn’t understood it until later, when her parents had explained it to her, but she could see similar signs from Dino, voice hard and angry, body posture tight, the not nice language.

Yeah. Dino hated Karl.

Gabby tilted her head the other way. “Well... people who do bad things should be punished right? What if this is his punishment?” Her gaze shifted to look after Karl, and Martijn who had followed on. “If he truly has done all these bad things, he now doesn’t have the easy way out.” She looked down at her hands, extending her claws so they were visible. Her voice had dropped, taking on a world weary tone that had no place belonging to an eleven year old girl. “We’re stronger now. We can do things other’s can’t. We will survive where a normal human would die. Sometimes living with your mistakes is worse than not.”

She retracted her claws and looked back up at Dino. “Or maybe this is his second chance. Maybe he is still alive because he now has the chance to redeem himself.” She stared back after Karl. “I think that’s what he wants. His wrongs will never go away, but maybe he can balance the scales.”

For another moment, she was silent, morose. Then she smiled again, weight suddenly lifting from her shoulders, and looked back up at Dino. “Do you know if we can get more food? I’m still hungry.” The last few words were somewhat sheepish, but held none of the world weary tone she’d been speaking in mere moments ago.

On 2019-12-19 at 9:24 PM, Spikey844 said:

- snip -

Dino listened closely to the child, interested and bewildered at the young one's wisdom. She expected some simple things like "people shouldn't fight" or "anyone can change". She already brushed those off, knowing full well the world isn't that simple. And listening to the new points... she brushed them off as well, none of them thoughts she didn't have herself already.

Punishment? How is getting to live longer than most others a punishment? She knew good, honest people who were mauled to death on day one. Death as mercy is no reward, and survival is no punishment. If she could make them switch places...

And a second chance? What about everyone else? People who deserved it much more than he ever did? How is he above them?! Redemption is to be earned, not given! The world has stopped making sense.

The child was right about one thing though. His wrongs will never go away. And if he will be so lucky to come out of this apocalypse alive, she'll make sure the world won't ever forget. The demon's wings will be torn off, to live among the poisoned will he, subject to the devils above he was once part of.

Her brows were furrowing all the while these negative thoughts stormed inside her head. Were it not internal monologue she might as well be yelling... or perhaps it wasn't just talking to herself? Either way, the storm passed quickly. The little girl had started to act her age again, pulling Dino out of this mental debate, rather efficiently too. There's nothing better to snap a grown woman out of an internal conflict than a hungry child. Go innocence!

"U-um, yeah! I bet we can get you a second round, it's been a long day after all. Might have to work harder for it later though... but we'll help you out." the woman smiled down at Gabby, the fires completely out now.

I hadn't made the connection between that man begging for help and mister Zakharov. I had helped...Him? Then again, if I hadn't, who else would have? Listening to miss Dino and Gabby discussing, memories just...Flow. My voice feels raspy as i delve into moments I usually prefer not to remember.

"...You want to know a secret, miss Dino? Our world...It's bitter and uncaring. From what...I've seen..."

I can feel my voice hitch a bit as it becomes tougher to fully express what I mean. It's tough. Physically tough, like crossing an obstacle I never planned to. What am I doing, airing my life instead of enjoying the goddamn peace and quiet?

"People live, and people die. There's nor order to it. No rightness. No justice but what we've built. Back in the sands, I've seen some good people blow up. Friends, civilians, children too. One second they're there, and the next, best not detail.  And then, a few hours or days or weeks later, I happen to get to treat some bastard who laid explosives in the dunes the name of some insane ideal and caught a nasty case of bullet in the chest, all so they can be interrogated. Do you know how easy it would be to just slip? To 'miss' something, or to have the scalpel 'just cut wrong'? ...But you don't. Because you're a  doctor and that wouldn't be right and the Oath is sacred. If I don't respect the Oath, what good am I?"

Things have gotten a bit blurry. I might have dust in my eyes. My hand hurts, I might have slammed it, my memory's blurry too.

"Sometimes, we feel like the wrong person survived. But life is life, so unless we want to become murderers all we can do is make due with what we have and hope for the best. I'm going for a walk, see you people later. Stay safe"

My plate is still half full as i push it away and stand up. Here's to hope I'm not giving little Gabby the worst example.

Edited by 404Cygni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 404Cygni said:

-snip-

On 2019-12-22 at 8:35 PM, Denny2669 said:

-snip-

Gabby wasn't entirely convinced by Dino dodging what she'd said. Eleven she may be, but she wasn't stupid. She could tell when someone was only responding to part of what she'd said. But she let it slide. She had someone else to focus on.

Namely, Agnes, whose dark little speech was not something Gabby could let slide without some sort of comment.

In this case, the 'comment' was Gabby just about lunging into Agnes's lap and wrapping her arms around her, preventing the doctor from going anywhere. Whatever memories Agnes was suddenly reminded of, gut feeling told the cat-girl that it would be unwise to let the doctor be alone. So she grabbed onto her, arms wrapping around her, hopefully stopping her from leaving. 

She didn't even say anything, just hugged her, head buried in Agnes' shoulder, a warm and comforting and entirely non-judgemental presence. The child-like innocence and naivety was in full force in that moment, and if Agnes wanted to walk off, she'd do so with Gabby clinging to her.

After all, some people just needed a good hug. Agnes had given her a hug earlier, as she'd cried out of relief and terror in the square earlier. It was time to return the favour.

Il y a 8 heures, Spikey844 a dit :

-snip-

I was going to say something, Agnes was right about the feeble nature of life, but she forgot about hope, the one thing that probably had kept us all intact up until now that we could rest. But Gabby bet me to the reaction latching onto the woman eliciting a smile from me. 

"Dino, Agnes." I address them both. "I think... You two should give a chance to hope to rise up a bit." I look to Dino first. "Karl did what he did, but he is in this mess us willing or not, we are allies a'd who knows, maybe underneath all he did there is someone good." Then to Agnes. "I won't say the world is all shine and rainbows, and as you said we have to hope, so just like Gabby, let's try and think positively and see what, we can do to help." 

I don't know if I am the best suited for this kind of talk but at this point it is all I can do to try and help. 

On reflex, I pat Gabby's back and muss her hair affectionately before nodding at my fellow Frenchman.

"...Thanks."

It feels warm and fuzzy inside and honestly, it doesn't really suprise me. It has been a while since I last got any major physical contact. I miss Pa and Ma.And thinking of it, I realize chances are I never will. That...Hurts, honestly, but I need to focus on the here and now. Speaking of now...

"You know you shouldn't stick too close to me. I still have my old clothes so I must stink something fierce..."

Well that was... something. It's easy to forget you're not the only one with problems, serious problems. Complains about the world, about how things are going down the cr@pper. Everything gets bigger, yet smaller at the same time.

Then Agnes gets hugged. It's not fair, Dino wants a hug too. Maybe she'll get one if she pouts hard enough? Nah, that's childish... huh, she's not the one getting hugged and yet it had the same subject changing effect on her. However, she scoffed at the French guy's interjection, having somewhat forgotten about him until he chimed in.

"Psh, sure, whatever kid." She said halfheartedly, despite Cyriann not being the youngest at the table, nor even the second youngest.

10 hours ago, 404Cygni said:

On reflex, I pat Gabby's back and muss her hair affectionately before nodding at my fellow Frenchman.

"...Thanks."

It feels warm and fuzzy inside and honestly, it doesn't really suprise me. It has been a while since I last got any major physical contact. I miss Pa and Ma.And thinking of it, I realize chances are I never will. That...Hurts, honestly, but I need to focus on the here and now. Speaking of now...

"You know you shouldn't stick too close to me. I still have my old clothes so I must stink something fierce..."

Gabby shrugged, pulling away slightly. “You needed a hug. Besides, it’ll probably annoy the fashion dictator.” Ok, Agnes did still smell, but hugs should not be put off by that kinda of thing...

Thought Agnes did really smell. Time for a swift retreat. She shuffled off of Agnes and back down onto the bench, before her attention was drawn the plate of unfinished food the doctor had pushed away. Her eyes locked onto it like a missile, before she looked away, not trying to appear too greedy.

il y a 22 minutes, Spikey844 a dit :

Gabby shrugged, pulling away slightly. “You needed a hug. Besides, it’ll probably annoy the fashion dictator.” Ok, Agnes did still smell, but hugs should not be put off by that kinda of thing...

Thought Agnes did really smell. Time for a swift retreat. She shuffled off of Agnes and back down onto the bench, before her attention was drawn the plate of unfinished food the doctor had pushed away. Her eyes locked onto it like a missile, before she looked away, not trying to appear too greedy.

I don't even retort to Dyno she clearly has a dead set stance in Karl and arguing would only be detrimental, instead I look to the young girl and the doctor as the kid pulls away. 

I smile noticing Gabby's eyes locking io the plate. 

"Agnes do you intend on finishing that?" I point to the plate. "If not I think Gabby could finish it. If of course she's still hungry, young as she is she is still growing, so we shouldn't stifle that if we can." I give the kid in question a wink, I might be bad at raising people's morale, but reading intents I could do in some occasions. 

Posted (edited)

I stare at the plate hesitantly. Should I force myself into eating? It might be wise, but...

No. I can feel nausea and disgust rising at the very idea. Not that .

"I'm good. You can have it, Gabby. I'm just going to walk a bit and clear my mind, and then to the fashion dictator it is I guess."

Edited by 404Cygni

1 minute ago, 404Cygni said:

I stare at the plate hesitantly. Should I force myself into eating? It might be wise, but...

No. I can feel nausea and disgust rising at the very idea. Not that .

"I'm good. You can have it, Gabby. I'm just going to walk a bit and xlear my mind, and then to the fashion dictator it is I guess."

Gabby gave Agnes a wide smile and yanked the plate closer to her, almost knocking some of the food off the plate. She swapped Agnes' cutlery for her own before tucking in, not quite shovelling the food into her mouth, but almost. 

Her mother would have had words with her if she saw her manners right now.

It took all of half a minute for Gabby to devour the plate's contents. Once it was all but licked clean, she put her knife and fork together, as if she hadn't just resembled an animal at a feeding frenzy, and sat back slightly, looking much more content. Then a small burp escaped her, and she clapped a hand over her mouth, looking thoroughly embarrassed.

"Sowwee," she mumbled.

With the group settling into a state of uneasy normalcy, three of their number chose to break off from the idle conversation, seeking to pursue some final activities before the time for bed hit, and with the layered whispers of the crowd compounding to a mass of noise, their disappearance wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow. Karl and Martijn, seeking the bat-woman and the as of yet unnamed leader of the Homefront, would find themselves receiving little more than a passing glance from the guards that had originally barred the stairway to the third and final floor. As they ascend, they would find it rather... underwhelming. Much like the first two floors, it very clearly still resembles a stripped down mall, with signs for shops still hung up, and the majority of their interior decoration intact. The one major difference they would note, however, would be the state of the largest store.

Stood directly opposite the stairwell, what seemed to be a former electronics store was the only one with the display blacked out with spray paint, such that not a single inch of the interior could be viewed from the outside. Quiet voices could be heard, but not quite discerned. As they got closer, however, they would suddenly get much louder, the tension in the room rocketing along with the volume of their conversation.

"I know what you saw, Yeva, but that does not change my stance. The people are frayed enough as it is."

The second voice, identifiable as the Homefront's leader, seemed not to have noticed their presence yet.

---

Elsewhere, Agnes has submitted herself to a state of suffering unbeknownst to the majority of mankind: overly critical fashionistas. Said fiend had already retired to her den of cruelty by the time the others had wrapped up their conversations, seemingly not interested in spending any more time away from there than absolutely necessary. It was quite sad, to be honest. The Frenchwoman's fate had been sealed the moment her gaze had locked with those twinkling eyes, and the magic words had been spoken...

"I think I have just the outfit for you..."

On 2020-01-15 at 5:11 PM, DaMadReaper said:

With the group settling into a state of uneasy normalcy, three of their number chose to break off from the idle conversation, seeking to pursue some final activities before the time for bed hit, and with the layered whispers of the crowd compounding to a mass of noise, their disappearance wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow. Karl and Martijn, seeking the bat-woman and the as of yet unnamed leader of the Homefront, would find themselves receiving little more than a passing glance from the guards that had originally barred the stairway to the third and final floor. As they ascend, they would find it rather... underwhelming. Much like the first two floors, it very clearly still resembles a stripped down mall, with signs for shops still hung up, and the majority of their interior decoration intact. The one major difference they would note, however, would be the state of the largest store.

Stood directly opposite the stairwell, what seemed to be a former electronics store was the only one with the display blacked out with spray paint, such that not a single inch of the interior could be viewed from the outside. Quiet voices could be heard, but not quite discerned. As they got closer, however, they would suddenly get much louder, the tension in the room rocketing along with the volume of their conversation.

"I know what you saw, Yeva, but that does not change my stance. The people are frayed enough as it is."

The second voice, identifiable as the Homefront's leader, seemed not to have noticed their presence yet.

---

Elsewhere, Agnes has submitted herself to a state of suffering unbeknownst to the majority of mankind: overly critical fashionistas. Said fiend had already retired to her den of cruelty by the time the others had wrapped up their conversations, seemingly not interested in spending any more time away from there than absolutely necessary. It was quite sad, to be honest. The Frenchwoman's fate had been sealed the moment her gaze had locked with those twinkling eyes, and the magic words had been spoken...

"I think I have just the outfit for you..."

Yelling voices, arguments of what to do, all so familiar to Karl who had those same arguments and overturned them just as quickly.

The once rich Lasiran CEO, now turned into a survivor with potentially a lot of hate against him; raised his hand and slapped on whatever material there was that would give the most noise to his location, a piece of sheet metal, a hollow wall, something that would give them pause for him to speak his piece. His face spoke of one who had suffered his share of nightmares, who's nerves had been so frayed, his sense of touch was gone beyond hope of repair. "I want to be an Operator." he answered to the duo, speaking in Lasiran with a voice that cracked now and then.

Something told him he should've gone in with a plan but...no turning back now...

Edited by Drakeardian