Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Call of the Void - Chapter 1: Adolescence [Closed]

DaMadReaper

Just now, DaMadReaper said:

With the group settling into a state of uneasy normalcy, three of their number chose to break off from the idle conversation, seeking to pursue some final activities before the time for bed hit, and with the layered whispers of the crowd compounding to a mass of noise, their disappearance wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow. Karl and Martijn, seeking the bat-woman and the as of yet unnamed leader of the Homefront, would find themselves receiving little more than a passing glance from the guards that had originally barred the stairway to the third and final floor. As they ascend, they would find it rather... underwhelming. Much like the first two floors, it very clearly still resembles a stripped down mall, with signs for shops still hung up, and the majority of their interior decoration intact. The one major difference they would note, however, would be the state of the largest store.

Stood directly opposite the stairwell, what seemed to be a former electronics store was the only one with the display blacked out with spray paint, such that not a single inch of the interior could be viewed from the outside. Quiet voices could be heard, but not quite discerned. As they got closer, however, they would suddenly get much louder, the tension in the room rocketing along with the volume of their conversation.

"I know what you saw, Yeva, but that does not change my stance. The people are frayed enough as it is."

The second voice, identifiable as the Homefront's leader, seemed not to have noticed their presence yet.

Tara had decided to see what was what regarding the leadership structure of Homefront as well and to see if she could be of more service in order to make herself useful in exchange for a place to stay while she figured out if there was going to be more that'd happen to her regarding her infection and potential for mutation. Following Karl and Martjin, she blended into the background without really trying to do it on purpose and turned into a fly on the wall via usage of her camouflage when she heard the voices speaking.

"Dare I ask what stance he's talking about?" she thought to herself, inching closer to the door to eavesdrop before Karl just burst in to say that he wanted to be an operator. "Well there goes my opportunity to figure out what the guy's gonna say..."

Puffing air out between her lips in a sigh, she rolled her eyes and reverted her camouflage back to her default suit colour of a dark greenish grey.

"That felt pointless..." she thought to herself as she went in after the former CEO.

"He's not the only one. I want to earn my keep, my right to stay here with you while I figure out what my next step could be." she said to those that were in the room. "I want to be useful to the community."

Martijn was paying more attention to the leftovers of the stores around him as he trailed behind Karl, paying little mind to the loud voices. In moments like this it was so very easy for the Dutchman to just... drift off.

There were two things that snapped him back into reality. That was Karl announcing he wanted to be an operator, and the painful surge of claws pressed into his neck as the infected feline resting against his neck got startled by Tara’s appearance.

”Ow ow ow” He whines out as he pulled the cat away and simply tossed it down to the ground. He’d have to clean the little injuries later, now... now he had to salvage his introductions.

”I’m here for the operator thing too.” Martijn quickly blurted out, not wanting to just stand there. “Unless you guys think it’s a bad idea?”

... first impressions never were his good point.

With people seemingly going their own ways, and now with a rather full stomach, the trails and tribulations of the day began to catch up with the youngest member of the group. This was signalled in the most obvious manner possible, namely, a huge yawn and stretch, sleeves falling down her arms to show her furry limbs.

"I'm not tired," she said, almost out of habit. Not that anyone would actually believe her, not with what had just happened. Gabby's drooping eyelids didn't exactly reinforce her argument.

It had been a long day in any case, and despite the extra energy gained from being infected, she was still a child. A bed had her name on it. Someone just had to get her to it.

Il y a 1 heure, Spikey844 a dit :

With people seemingly going their own ways, and now with a rather full stomach, the trails and tribulations of the day began to catch up with the youngest member of the group. This was signalled in the most obvious manner possible, namely, a huge yawn and stretch, sleeves falling down her arms to show her furry limbs.

"I'm not tired," she said, almost out of habit. Not that anyone would actually believe her, not with what had just happened. Gabby's drooping eyelids didn't exactly reinforce her argument.

It had been a long day in any case, and despite the extra energy gained from being infected, she was still a child. A bed had her name on it. Someone just had to get her to it.

I sigh seeing the little girl playing it tough. 

"Yeah you're not sleepy, but you know, sleeping would do us all some good anyways, it was a hectic day after all." I can't resist and give her a quick headpat.
"Let's get to bed, working out what to do can wait for tomorow." I offer her a hand if she wants to follow me as I get up from the table.

Edited by Cyriann

50 minutes ago, Cyriann said:

I sigh seeing the little girl playing it tough. 

"Yeah you're not sleepy, but you know, sleeping would do us all some good anyways, it was a hectic day after all." I can't resist and give her a rapid headpat.
"Let's get to bed, working out what to do can wait for tomorow." I offer her a hand if she wants to follow me as I get up from the table.

Gabby flailed her arms at Cyriann's headpat, an ineffectual attempt to stop him from doing so.

"I'm not sleepy!" She declared, a little more vehemently, before yawning once more. "Maybe just a little tired," she admitted, getting up from the table. She took Cyriann's hand after a moment of staring at it, then looked up at him. "Do you know where we are sleeping?" She said, a little blearily, sleep clearly beginning to close in on her.

1 hour ago, Cyriann said:

I can't resist and give her a rapid headpat.

21 minutes ago, Spikey844 said:

Gabby flailed her arms at Cyriann's headpat, an ineffectual attempt to stop him from doing so.

For one moment, a moment where none had their vision turned to the metal armed architect, her expression was a glare of such magnitude, such envy, it might as well attract a moon to orbit around it. Cyriann might even feel this odd sense of dread, but were her to look around it would have already passed, no danger nor any trace of it, just a tired looking woman fiddling with her cutlery.

"So unfair..." she muttered.

Without realizing it, her eyes are fluttering shut and her head is bobbing up and down as microsleep attempts to take her. Perhaps the kid isn't the only sleepy one, it's been a long day after all and she's all tuckered out after the running and yelling and mental debating.

"She could use adult supervision. Where are the rooms again?" she picks herself off the table, ready to follow them.

il y a 8 minutes, Denny2669 a dit :

For one moment, a moment where none had their vision turned to the metal armed architect, her expression was a glare of such magnitude, such envy, it might as well attract a moon to orbit around it. Cyriann might even feel this odd sense of dread, but were her to look around it would have already passed, no danger nor any trace of it, just a tired looking woman fiddling with her cutlery.

"So unfair..." she muttered.

Without realizing it, her eyes are fluttering shut and her head is bobbing up and down as microsleep attempts to take her. Perhaps the kid isn't the only sleepy one, it's been a long day after all and she's all tuckered out after the running and yelling and mental debating.

"She could use adult supervision. Where are the rooms again?" she picks herself off the table, ready to follow them.

"I'd say you then Dino. I'm fine being a big brother, I wouldn't resist her as a reponsible adult..." Can only be true to myself, that kid is just hitting all the weakspots, Dino doesn't seem too affectedn and that's not counting that look that burnt the back of my skull... If it was hers at least.

"They showed us around our rooms, or well, where there were free rooms were over there." I point to the general direction of where we had been lead earlier and start walking with Gabby towards it, making sure Dino is following.

Edited by Cyriann

1 hour ago, Denny2669 said:

-snip-

1 hour ago, Cyriann said:

-snip-

Gabby yawned again, rubbing at her eyes. "You're both adults compared to me," she mumbled, leaning slightly into Cyriann's hold. She was definitely becoming more sleepy. Even as she walked, her feet were beginning to drag. By the time they reached the stairs, she'd be almost asleep on her feet. Poor girl was very tired. 

Then her legs gave out.

Her grip, already loosened, would give completely unless Cyriann held on. If not, she'd tumble forward and flop onto the ground, completely passed out.

il y a 8 minutes, Spikey844 a dit :

Gabby yawned again, rubbing at her eyes. "You're both adults compared to me," she mumbled, leaning slightly into Cyriann's hold. She was definitely becoming more sleepy. Even as she walked, her feet were beginning to drag. By the time they reached the stairs, she'd be almost asleep on her feet. Poor girl was very tired. 

Then her legs gave out.

Her grip, already loosened, would give completely unless Cyriann held on. If not, she'd tumble forward and flop onto the ground, completely passed out.

I catch her as she falls. "And done, she is off." I then scoop her up and carry her as I sigh.
"You won't mind taking care of her if the rooms are separated ? She's clinging on me right now." I look at the slumbering girl with a smile. "I hope we'll be able to preserve her a bit." I speak lowly to not wake her up, despite Gabby probably being so tired that even if we spoke normally she wouldn't wake up.

1 minute ago, Cyriann said:

I catch her as she falls. "And done, she is off." I then scoop her up and carry her as I sigh.
"You won't mind taking care of her if the rooms are separated ? She's clinging on me right now." I look at the slumbering girl with a smile. "I hope we'll be able to preserve her a bit." I speak lowly to not wake her up, despite Gabby probably being so tired that even if we spoke normally she wouldn't wake up.

Once again, there it was. That feeling of imminent dread as Cyriann picked the sleeping kid up in his arms. Where's that coming from? But looking around he'd only find Dino following closely behind, not particularly vengeful looking. Actually, she smiled at his suggestion.

"She would definitely be best off with the rest of us girls. Y'know, familiar environment and all. I'll keep an eye on her, don't you worry."

Those are the words that left her mouth. But inside, her brain was going YES YES YES. She's not usually this two-faced, part of her is telling her to drop the mask, but a freak out now would not help Gabby catch her Zs.

As we arrive to the floor where all the rooms are I peak in the different rooms, seeing no one is there. 

"Good, we can settle her in without an issue." I say leaving Dino to guide me to where Gabby would sleep so we could tuck her in. "Thanks for the help Dino, I don't know how I would had handled it all on my own." I thank her as I'm waiting for her to show me where to drop the girl.

2 hours ago, Cyriann said:

As we arrive to the floor where all the rooms are I peak in the different rooms, seeing no one is there. 

"Good, we can settle her in without an issue." I say leaving Dino to guide me to where Gabby would sleep so we could tuck her in. "Thanks for the help Dino, I don't know how I would had handled it all on my own." I thank her as I'm waiting for her to show me where to drop the girl.

"You're welcome kid." Dino replied naturally "Stuff gets done faster and better if people work together. Doubt we would've gotten away from those dog things otherwise."

She was not impressed with the room, makeshift beds and sheets, but there's only so much you can do with establishments never meant for this kinda stuff. Before Cyriann would get to lay her down, she picked a bed and took some more blankets from other beds, giving her an extra layer of warmth, fluff and softness. Now she nodded to him, giving him to greenlight to place her down and tuck her in.

"Don't worry. I'll pummel anyone who gets close to her. If you find the others, let em know this room's free for a few more people. Except the rich guy, screw him."

Looking at her, I can't help but smile bitterly and sigh a bit.

"...Look. it's a nice thing you're doing, and I appreciate it, but you shouldn't waste too much time on a charity case. You don't need to softball it. I don't...Look very good."

Why hide the truth? I had some people compliment me,sure, but I'm fairly sure they either were hitting on me, just wanted to be nice, or outright set their standards too low. I know what I can see in the mirror.

"My hair won't look good long, plus I can't really keep it that way in my line of work. I'm too tall. Too butch. I've got the jawline of a guy. When I try to look good, it's like a gorilla trying to wear a suit. You can make something that fits, sure,but not something that works. "

Edited by 404Cygni

On 2020-01-17 at 3:38 PM, Cyriann said:

On 2020-01-17 at 6:06 PM, Denny2669 said:

"You're welcome kid." Dino replied naturally "Stuff gets done faster and better if people work together. Doubt we would've gotten away from those dog things otherwise."

She was not impressed with the room, makeshift beds and sheets, but there's only so much you can do with establishments never meant for this kinda stuff. Before Cyriann would get to lay her down, she picked a bed and took some more blankets from other beds, giving her an extra layer of warmth, fluff and softness. Now she nodded to him, giving him to greenlight to place her down and tuck her in.

"Don't worry. I'll pummel anyone who gets close to her. If you find the others, let em know this room's free for a few more people. Except the rich guy, screw him."

Gabby would mumble a little as she was laid in the bed, but otherwise she didn't really stir. She hadn't stirred in Cyriann's arms either, almost immobile apart from the slow rise and fall of her chest. Curled up and quite asleep. When she was put in the bed, she somewhat instinctively reached out and pulled the blankets up around her, rolling onto her side. 

She was, quite frankly, the picture of adorableness.

For a few moments after the CEO had interrupted, everything in the room seemed to be frozen in their tracks. Yeva, the bat-woman, and the still unnamed leader stared each other down, the intensity between the two being like a pair of animals, a half second away from going for each other's throats. Eventually, however, they broke off, with Yeva backing off of the table housing an annotated map of the city and heading for the door. One glance backwards just after she'd passed the trio by, and she disappeared, stalking off without a single sound. 

Their attention would be drawn back by the escaping of a soft sigh. Still hunched over the same table, the man gave them a weak smile, looking each of them up and down, one by one. By now, it had been nearly a full minute since any words had been spoken, and a certain restlessness had begun to take hold. 

"I'm sorry you had to see that. We weren't expecting any to find their way here so soon after the announcement," he stated simply, the inflection flat, as if he was far too worn out to inject any more energy. His roaming gaze now shifted to the features of each of the trio, he continued.

"Not many are so enthusiastic to place their lives on the line like that. Is it altruism? Honor? Or simple overconfidence?"

---

Elsewhere, the fiend of fashion scans every inch of Agnes's form with concentration that would make even the most confident feel uncertain. Whilst the knight had been busy tearing herself down, Esme was reassessing her ideas, mentally visualising a variety of outfits that would serve to accentuate the girl's finer points, few as they may be. Too butch, she had said. 'Not butch enough' was all that the designer could think. Eventually, all of her ideas had crystallised into a final, clear design. Letting out a snort of laughter, she tossed her head back, an image of pure smugness.

"Correct as you may be, I would appreciate if you would stop insulting my craft. I could make a chimpanzee fit to walk a runway. You? You're child's play."

Turning on her heel, she dove into a rack of clothes, speaking as she dug out pieces.

"If you don't fit the traditionally feminine appearance, then don't. Double down. Dress..."

She threw a patterned black shirt at Agnes, barely turning to confirm that she had hit her target.

"More..." 

A pair of washed out jeans.

"Masculine."

Finally, she dug out a pair of black boots, carrying them over to Agnes in order to check their sizings. 

"Despite what the advertisements tell you, not everyone fits into a dress."

---

As the remaining number of the group sank into their beds, they could feel the tension drain from every fiber of their being. Muscles loosened, a general sense of relaxation spreading through them. Soon enough, sleep would come, dragging them deep into the recesses of their mind, dredging up thoughts and memories that were not wholly their own. That night, dreams would take them just as soon as their eyes had closed. Dreams of spidery shapes, carressing them with thing appendages. Dreams of a man, vague in form, but undeniably there, whispering sweet lullabies. Dreams of conversing men and women, the words always just out of their mind's comprehension. Interspersed between these vague visions, they would find vestiges of their own past, some horrible, some joyous, and yet... none seemed able to wake them.

1 minute ago, DaMadReaper said:

For a few moments after the CEO had interrupted, everything in the room seemed to be frozen in their tracks. Yeva, the bat-woman, and the still unnamed leader stared each other down, the intensity between the two being like a pair of animals, a half second away from going for each other's throats. Eventually, however, they broke off, with Yeva backing off of the table housing an annotated map of the city and heading for the door. One glance backwards just after she'd passed the trio by, and she disappeared, stalking off without a single sound. 

Their attention would be drawn back by the escaping of a soft sigh. Still hunched over the same table, the man gave them a weak smile, looking each of them up and down, one by one. By now, it had been nearly a full minute since any words had been spoken, and a certain restlessness had begun to take hold. 

"I'm sorry you had to see that. We weren't expecting any to find their way here so soon after the announcement," he stated simply, the inflection flat, as if he was far too worn out to inject any more energy. His roaming gaze now shifted to the features of each of the trio, he continued.

"Not many are so enthusiastic to place their lives on the line like that. Is it altruism? Honor? Or simple overconfidence?"

"None of the above for me. I just want to earn my keep." said Tara, morphing her bow out of thin air and gesturing towards it with her free hand. "I refuse to be a layabout and I'm pretty good with this."

She wasn't exaggerating nor lying. Using her bow felt natural to her, despite her having had more training with firearms ever since she did her first job. Perhaps it was due to the nature of the infection that using the bow felt as much of an extension of her as it was.

"I'm also very good with a gun... though where are my manners. I really should introduce myself to you." said Tara, retracting her bow and and giving them a small curtsy in lieu of a handshake. "Aisling O'Sullivan. They call me the Gold Clover in Lasria... before all this happened."

3 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

"Redemption."

Karl wandered over to the man, his eyes filled with despair and grief. "I've spent a life living like a fool, doing nothing to help this city and lining my own pockets with rubles. When the infection came, I locked myself away in a panic room like a coward." he explained in Lasiran with rising volume in his voice as he rested his hands on the table. It was starting to feel like a confessional in a church now "I've lied to my colleagues, ruined my wives, my children and my employee's lives and made myself a monster because of greed, Now I've got nothing left to give except my own blood, sweat, tears and the damn nightmares that keep me up at night!" Karl then took a moment to calm himself down before he put his head in his hands before he stood up straight and breathed a few times. 

"I want to give back to the community I've ignored. I want to prove somebody wrong. I'm not a monster, not anymore" he begged to the leader of the settlement.

Edited by Drakeardian

3 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

As the remaining number of the group sank into their beds, they could feel the tension drain from every fiber of their being. Muscles loosened, a general sense of relaxation spreading through them. Soon enough, sleep would come, dragging them deep into the recesses of their mind, dredging up thoughts and memories that were not wholly their own. That night, dreams would take them just as soon as their eyes had closed. Dreams of spidery shapes, carressing them with thin appendages. Dreams of a man, vague in form, but undeniably there, whispering sweet lullabies. Dreams of conversing men and women, the words always just out of their mind's comprehension. Interspersed between these vague visions, they would find vestiges of their own past, some horrible, some joyous, and yet... none seemed able to wake them.

Dreams are weird things at the best of times. Flights of fancy beyond the control of the conscious mind, weaving into the aether of ones soul. 

Gabby's were no exception.

Around her was a forest, tall, foreboding, welcoming, warm. Things skittered around her, and she did not know whether to be scared or comforted by them. She walked forward, along a path that appeared before her step by step, stone forming out of nothingness for her bare feet to alight on, silent as a distant fall of rain. Somewhere distant, a quiet melody began to twist between the trunks, the baritone tune weaving into the air. Her footsteps quickened. She thought she recognised the tune, the singer. It crawled at the back of her mind.

The terrain shifted, roots becoming great paths for her to run across, steps becoming short hops, then leaps as she bounded between the root- no, branches of the trees. They were too high up now, the ground had fallen away to fog below. 

Faster, faster, faster. Ever chasing the melody, that deep baritone siren, calling to her. The things skittered around her still, leaping around her, swinging between the trees. Whispers of conversation reached her, words indistinct, but there none the less. 

She kept running, leaping, bounding, flipping along these living pathways, ever chasing that elusive song.

On 2020-01-20 at 5:29 PM, DaMadReaper said:

Martijn felt sheepish next to the other two. He didn't have any big reason for it that wasn't self serving or virtuous. It was plain and simply wanting to learn more about what he had become. Now just to say that... He really never was good at talking when it wasn't about animals.

"I... Mostly wanted to know if you all offer training to help us control this infection?" He asks, holding up the metal cat by the scruff of its neck. "Like... I know Maya here is great for a fight but... I don't know how to make her change into her... wolf form?" Now that was a weird sentence to say. 

Introductions right, Tara introduced herself but the dutchman hasn't and neither has Karl. Might as well make all their names know. "I'm Martijn by the by, that's Karl." He states, gesturing to the man who just spoke of redemption. Well good to know even an apocalypse won't help his social skills get any better.

• 3 weeks later...

I catch the thrown objects out of the air, barely needing to think. A shirt and jeans. That's...Simple enough not to look horrendous, actually, I think. I mean, it's not like I ever actually paid much attention to fashion because, well, why learn to fly when you're a bear, but it does look good.

Next come a pair of boots...Practical enough. I barely avoid facepalming.

"Can't believe I forgot that. Do think you could find a messenger bag? I'm a doc, need somewhere to stash the basics and my satchel got mangled in the disaster.  Also..."

The moment of truth. Do I dare speak up or do I prefer caution?

Eh, I'll be fine; They seem nice enough.

"I have the same sort of alterations miss Yeva has, except mine push me towards the frontlines and melee combat. I'll need enough freedom of movement, hope it's not too much of an issue."

Edited by 404Cygni

• 3 weeks later...

The man listens to each tell the tales of their personal motivations, ranging from the pain of past guilt weighing them down to a simple need to better understand their current circumstances. It never ceased to amaze him how so many different backgrounds could converge into a single path in times of great need. The time for idle thought would come later, however, as there were more pressing matters to deal with at the moment. Suppressing a sigh, he drags his exhausted mind back to the present, silencing its agonised screeches as he cracked a trained smile.

"Ah, I didn't realise that we hadn't been properly introduced yet. With how many faces come and go every day, it becomes rather hard to remember the exact who's who of the base. Nevertheless, it is good to make your acquaintance. You can call me Alexei."

Though unflinching in the face of Karl's intense passion and Martijn's rather unconcerned attitude, the smile fades away after a few seconds, giving way to the look of a man deprived of rest for days at a time.

"While I cannot guarantee that you will find all that you're looking for, I can tell you that should you choose to contribute, we will put forward what meagre resources we can. Admittedly, I would have liked to confirm your capabilities before I allow you anywhere near the infected beasts outside, times have been less than ideal, and the recent departures have left us somewhat short of capable operators."

A hint of the inner turmoil raging within him peeks out through the tension of his face, betraying that there is more to this particular story. Before it could be brought up, however, he continues.

"That said, the night patrols have already departed for their first rounds, and I'm not quite crazy enough to throw you to the metaphorical and literal wolves in the middle of the night. I will be meeting with the other candidates tomorrow morning, shortly after breakfast. Until then, perhaps some rest is in order," he offers, the excessive dragging of the end and the slight tinge of hope hinting at what he wanted of them. He takes a second to consider any last remarks, before snapping his fingers at a realisation.

"Ah, before I forget, Martijn. I suggest that you wait some time before thinking about the training of your... companion. You may find that your body has many more tricks up its sleeve already."

---

While Agnes was busy speaking, Esme had taken it upon herself to kneel beside her, checking the fit of the boots, her mind seemingly buried within the endless possibilities that came with any artform. That is, until she begins dancing around a certain term, nervous about the revelation of a fact that could, in her mind, very well end the current working relationship. The tanned woman lets out a huff, momentarily pausing her work to give the medic a light glare.

"You are infected. Just spit it out. Much like the dogs outside, you've been injured by something, and now you stand far above the rest of us in terms of physicality. It seems that your fashion sense is not the only facet in which you lack force."

Finishing her fiddling with the various sections of the footwear, she takes a step or two back in order to appraise the current look as a whole.

"Really, someone with your particular skillset..."

She disappears behind a stack of boxes, rummaging for something just out of sight.

"...could afford to be more intimidating."

Finally, she emerges, carrying with her a cloth messenger bag, which she throws to Agnes.

"Now get out of my station. Your clothes shouldn't do much to cripple your range of motion. The next time you're back here, you better be less... like you."

45 minutes ago, DaMadReaper said:

The man listens to each tell the tales of their personal motivations, ranging from the pain of past guilt weighing them down to a simple need to better understand their current circumstances. It never ceased to amaze him how so many different backgrounds could converge into a single path in times of great need. The time for idle thought would come later, however, as there were more pressing matters to deal with at the moment. Suppressing a sigh, he drags his exhausted mind back to the present, silencing its agonised screeches as he cracked a trained smile.

"Ah, I didn't realise that we hadn't been properly introduced yet. With how many faces come and go every day, it becomes rather hard to remember the exact who's who of the base. Nevertheless, it is good to make your acquaintance. You can call me Alexei."

Though unflinching in the face of Karl's intense passion and Martijn's rather unconcerned attitude, the smile fades away after a few seconds, giving way to the look of a man deprived of rest for days at a time.

"While I cannot guarantee that you will find all that you're looking for, I can tell you that should you choose to contribute, we will put forward what meagre resources we can. Admittedly, I would have liked to confirm your capabilities before I allow you anywhere near the infected beasts outside, times have been less than ideal, and the recent departures have left us somewhat short of capable operators."

A hint of the inner turmoil raging within him peeks out through the tension of his face, betraying that there is more to this particular story. Before it could be brought up, however, he continues.

"That said, the night patrols have already departed for their first rounds, and I'm not quite crazy enough to throw you to the metaphorical and literal wolves in the middle of the night. I will be meeting with the other candidates tomorrow morning, shortly after breakfast. Until then, perhaps some rest is in order," he offers, the excessive dragging of the end and the slight tinge of hope hinting at what he wanted of them. He takes a second to consider any last remarks, before snapping his fingers at a realisation.

"Ah, before I forget, Martijn. I suggest that you wait some time before thinking about the training of your... companion. You may find that your body has many more tricks up its sleeve already."

Tomorrow. 

Tomorrow he will prove himself, tomorrow he'll show he's capable, tomorrow he'll be on some kind of path to redemption. Tomorrow...tomorrow...to-

Karl shook himself out of his daze and held his head, outwardly he was tired and daydreaming, wobbling slightly again inwardly...tomorrow couldn't wait, tomorrow couldn't be any later for him. He looked to Alexei, contemplating giving his real name before he finally just decided to answer as honest as he can "My name is Karl Zakharov." he answered in his native language then proceeded to take his leave, his movements still somewhat sluggish with his tiredness still creeping on him. Maybe it was time to get some sleep.

He wandered towards the general quarters for a free bed to lay down on, collapsing in that filthy smelling outfit of his that he just couldn't get out of sooner, curling up into a fetallic ball of misery and anguish, preparing for what would undoubtedly be a long day tomorrow...

Edited by Drakeardian

56 minutes ago, DaMadReaper said:

Of everything that Alexei said, those were the words that stuck. In these past few days, Martijn had been relying on only the instincts of his companion. It had killed for him, guarded his back more than once. It hadn't even made him consider any other way to fight.

Now that'd come tomorrow. He'd have been half way to the door already as he heard Karl introduce himself, making the man realize one thing. He had forgotten to introduce himself. "Martijn Koning." He shortly states before continuing on his way. It was bed time, very much so. Trailing after the Russian man to one of the free quarters. Suppose that shower and new clothes would come tomorrow. Now it was time to sleep. He was out like a light once his head hit the pillow.

Then there was the cat too of course. That one settled next to the bed, comfortable on the ground.

9 hours ago, DaMadReaper said:

"Thanks, I'll make sure to make the most out of whatever support I can get and do more with it." said Tara, nodding at Alexei and studying his expression. "Hopefully, I can help turn things around here. I'll take a short break for now and leave with the next patrol or scavenging team... do you happen to know when the next shift would start by any chance?"

As eager as she was to help, she knows from Alexei's expression to leave well enough alone for now but at the same time she really wanted to help and came up with a compromise that would work in her mind. Going with the next patrol or team would be the best of both worlds, doing what Alexei wants her to do and doing what she wants to do at the same time.

Catching the bag, I turn to leave and...Laugh. I can't help it. I laugh raucously, madly, I laugh myself to near tears. It's a hollow, pale, joyless uproar, and I know it. For a second, it almost sounds like I've snapped. For a second, I almost think I've snapped. Wouldn't that be sad, living through all of it to see my mind shatter on a little, backhanded remark? I chase the haunted look off my eyes and turn, and I just know there's a faint ember of anger dancing there. I squash it, breathing long and slow.

Never run away, and always be kind. Sure, she's  been colorful, maybe a bit insensitive, but i shouldn't bite back. Not too much, at least.

"How little you know. You call me lacking. You probably think this is the end of everything, too. I'm a medic. These hands of mine have saved more people than you have known. I have chosen to help on the battlefield, with wars that make this little incident look like a schoolyard fight. I've tested my mettle in places you'd compare Dante's hell favorably to. I've been to Chechenya, I helped in Iraq. I've been in Thailand after the tidal wave and in Haiti after the floods, I've been rained death upon and I didn't care, because mortar shells and bullets came second to saving the person I was treating. I've seen despair so abject you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. People looting and pillaging because nothing else worked for them. I've seen children die simply because they were at the wrong place, at the wrong time. I've done my duty, what I could to make the world a better place. When you face the abyss, and stare into it, either you break...Or you come back stronger. But even those who return, never forget. They clutch at what they can. People. Beliefs. Sense of self. So damn the rest of the world, and damn me for being an idiot, but I'm not going to stop. "

A breathe to chase away the darkest memories and finish, half-smiling.

"I've lived, little tailor, lived so much more than the sum of my years. Learned the dangers of judging people too quickly. We all have so much more depth than you'd believe. Live. See humanity at their worst, and keep on caring. Then, you can lecture me on my lack of force."

And then, all has been said, so I take my leave. My feet guide me through the corridors and to the nearest empty bed as if in a dream and I do my best to find sleep, tossing and turning through the night. Forget the Abyss, staring yourself in the face is just as hard.

Edited by 404Cygni