Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Prime... Is It Really That Good?

EganMC

Question

Currently, my favourite melee in the game is the Hate.

It's great fun, and a massive winner in the charge department.

However, I recently had another look at the Orthos Prime.

Seems it has the highest base damage (Yeah yeah fang prime yada yada)

And along with that, has very long range, great charge capability, decently fast attack speed...

Not only that, it's now easy as hell to get.

You just have to spam E gate to 15 mins and get T3 captures all over the place.

So, I was wondering.

Aside from how you get it, and the 10 Orokin cells...

Is there some sort of catch?

Any Orthos Prime users out there wanna give me any clue as to whether or not it's base stats are the winner here?
Because a lot of weapons win over base stats with certain other scenarios... but...

Is the Orthos Prime really that groundbreaking, so much so that it has truly become the most powerful melee in the game, hands down?

Or am I wrong.

7 answers to this question

Currently, Orthos Prime is the best charged melee out there due to its 200 base damage, and low charge time. It also boasts decent normal attack abilities with its 50(or 60, I can't recall) base attack and 1.2(or 1.3) base RoF. HOWEVER, what it prides in offense, it lacks in utility; Orthos Prime has no ability to knockdown opponents like most heavies do.

It all depends on your playstyle if you prefer utility over offense or offense over utility. Do note that, currently, melee scaling at higher levels is pretty bad while utility is useful at all levels.

Edited by MIRROR_ell

Currently, Orthos Prime is the best charged melee out there due to its 200 base damage, and low charge time. It also boasts decent normal attack abilities with its 50(or 60, I can't recall) base attack and 1.2(or 1.3) base RoF. HOWEVER, what it prides in offense, it lacks in utility; Orthos Prime has no ability to knockdown opponents like most heavies do.

It all depends on your playstyle if you prefer utility over offense or offense over utility. Do note that, currently, melee scaling at higher levels is pretty bad while utility is useful at all levels.

So is the ability to knockdown enemies in an AoE really that essential in the late game?

I've never had to use it.

Then again, I haven't even reached Pluto yet, so perhaps I have a ways to go.

I suppose seeing as raw damage doesn't entirely work at the late game, and most ubers lose all credibility at Pluto, it can come in handy.

It's technically only the best melee weapon in the game.

Actually, scratch that. It is the best melee weapon in the game. The stats speak for themselves.

^ This.

Even if I like Hate more and Dakra is still to be tested(but looks damn cool in my inventory), if I have to go on a high level mission a Orthos Prime is what I would bring with me.

DPS wise a charged built Orthos Prime it is the best in game.

Since the lack of utility KD the Gram is the 2nd closest with a charged build.

Now Dual Ichor is rising with its normal attack/crit build (and it is gonna get further buffed afaik)

Also Glaive is rising back thanks to its new mods: Power Throw - Whirlwind - Quick return

Don't forget that Orthos Prime and Orthos are the melee weapons that target the most enemies in the game (with exception to the Glaive w/ Power Throw). Orthos/Orthos Prime hits 5 enemies per attack, whereas other multi-targeting melee weapons only hit 3 enemies at a time.