Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gyro Issues - Game "Fights" slow or small movement

(NSW)ohgodzilla

I assume this is a "feature" to help reduce drift, and I'm not sure if it's part of the Switch firmware or Warframe, but it has become extremely difficult to use snipers, have precise controls with archwing, or play conservation, as any kind of slow or precise gyro movement is "resisted" by the game. For example, tilting slowly to the left will work for a moment, but then the crosshair will be pulled involuntarily back to the right where you started. More and more extreme movement must be used to override this, to the point where I'm turning the controller almost a full 90 degrees to to move it less than an inch on screen. 

I have tried experimenting with different gyro sensitivity options in game. None of them seem to affect the resistance, but having gyro sensitivity set a bit lower (around 50) at least makes my default movements large enough that it's less noticeable. 

A fix, or confirmation that it's a bug from nintendo's end would be great. 

Thank you

I don't know if it got worst since the last patch, but i never really that much issues with aiming with my joycons. However,lately all the small tasks are frustrating to do:

1- I miss a lot of the mining nodes. Before it would just lock on the target but now it drifts so much. It's almost impossible to succeed a node that is far, in those hard to reach spots, you place yourself and you fight against the game to stay in place...
2- With fishing, you want to do small movement to follow the fish but the game goes against you. 
3- Hunting for conservation is also a pain, mostly on small targets or to hit those that require precise aim to hit a specific spot.

Just like you said, you can end up with a weird position with your wrist when you try to "fight" the game, it's not normal....

12 hours ago, (NSW)LostVector said:

This has been in the game since I started playing.  Maybe it's worse now since the patch?

I'm just livid they haven't fixed it yet.  Gyro is literally how the game is played every minute we're inside the game.  It needs to work properly.

When did you start playing? Might be helpful to understand when it started. 

I started just before Fortuna 1 update shipped. I don't recall the drift correction then, but I could be wrong. 

Hi all! I also had a drift issue recently, and re-calibrating the Joy-Cons on my Nintendo Switch ended up fixing it. Here's a guide to calibrating: https://www.howtogeek.com/311879/how-to-calibrate-the-joy-con-controllers-on-your-nintendo-switch/

Please try that and let me know how it goes! If you could also let me know what kind of controller you're using (Pro Controller or Joy-Cons), that info would be really helpful to our team. Thanks!

On 2019-09-24 at 1:53 PM, [DE]Helen said:

Hi all! I also had a drift issue recently, and re-calibrating the Joy-Cons on my Nintendo Switch ended up fixing it. Here's a guide to calibrating: https://www.howtogeek.com/311879/how-to-calibrate-the-joy-con-controllers-on-your-nintendo-switch/

Please try that and let me know how it goes! If you could also let me know what kind of controller you're using (Pro Controller or Joy-Cons), that info would be really helpful to our team. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply Helen.  I did many re-calibrations and an update of my joy-cons before doing my post, I did the same again after seeing your post this morning. Sadly nothing has been fixed on my side. Just went back in game, went directly into PoE, moved my character a little bit and pressed ZL to aim and right away my cursor was moving. I also did try to slightly move as if i was aiming for a  pobber or a kuaka, and i still have to fight against the game to be able to aim. Even sometimes my mouvements are so small the games doesn't seem to see it and suddenly it goes the opposite way of what i tried to do. 

On 2019-09-24 at 10:53 AM, [DE]Helen said:

Hello, I experience this gyro issue in-game as well.

First things first, the important stuff: I use a pro-controller. I am not experiencing drift in either control stick. I tested in Warframe and I experienced the gyro issue. I then re-calibrated the same pro-controller and was still experiencing the described gyro issue. I also confirmed that my "aim assist" option was not activated in the options menu.

Secondly, some anecdotal observations that may or may not be useful: The gyro fighting my slight movement was most pronounced while aiming with ZL but it did seem to be an issue while not aiming with ZL. It felt like more of an issue while I was legitimately targeting a foe, i.e. it felt strongest while I was aiming at their shoulder and trying to move the crosshair onto their head. That said, it does feel like it happens while I am not aiming at a foe, as well. Lastly, I had read about some gyro re-calibration features built-in to the hardware and wondered if that might be the culprit but I did not feel like I was experiencing the same issues with the gyro fighting my slight movements while aiming with a bow in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for example.

Thank you for taking the time! I'd really like to get my headshot kills : regular kills ratio up 😉

On 2019-09-24 at 7:53 AM, [DE]Helen said:

Helen, this isn't a "drift" issue.  The game literally counteracts your gyro movement if you move slowly and consistently in one direction for a couple of seconds.  This means if you are actually "TRYING" to track a moving target or do some mining or what not, the game STOPS YOU FROM AIMING!!!!

This takes all of 5 seconds to reproduce.  I see it on Pro Controller and on attached Joy-Con's.  Please just get someone to look at it and fix it!

Edited by (NSW)LostVector

I think it's just an issue with the Switch itself. I say this because I've had the exact same issue with Breath of the Wild, Paladins, and any other games that I play where I have motion controls enabled. I'm surprised that the only times I've seen this being complained about is through this game, though.

I had no issues with those games.
Also for BotW, didn't they said it was a known bug caused from the Switch going into sleep mode while the game was still running behind? And there was a fix to it from what I can remember. 

Edited by (NSW)Sycoraxqc

On 2019-09-24 at 1:53 PM, [DE]Helen said:

Thanks for the response! I tried re-calibrating my Pro controller a couple times the other day, but it seems like the drift counteraction feature is still pulling my cursor back when aiming. I'll test out my joycons as well. 

I did some experimenting and I can replicate the issue pretty much exactly ... but in Splatoon 2 in the town hub!  Interestingly, in an actual Splatoon 2 battle there is no such issue.  So I suspect this "drift compensation" is probably a setting built into the gyro API's that developers need to actively disable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, (NSW)LostVector said:

I did some experimenting and I can replicate the issue pretty much exactly ... but in Splatoon 2 in the town hub!  Interestingly, in an actual Splatoon 2 battle there is no such issue.  So I suspect this "drift compensation" is probably a setting built into the gyro API's that developers need to actively disable.

That would make sense if so, thanks for checking!

Just to add to this, I tried experimenting with lower sensitivity for gyro and at low settings I can move my controller very fast while still triggering this issue.

I.E - If I set Motion Control sensitivity to 60, small motions will result in cross-hair movement on screen, but going too slow triggers the "pull-back". If I set Motion Control sensitivity to 30, much larger motions are needed to create the same amount of movement, but the "pull-back" is still triggered just as frequently. 

Is there any additional testing or details I can do on my end to help investigate this?

Edited by (NSW)ohgodzilla

I honestly don't know what we could do more... It's there. Very easy to reproduce. There is three steps to the issue.

1- In the settings allows motion controls
2- Go in any missions, Aim with ZL.
3- Do a very small movement with the right JoyCon to move the reticule. 
Notice that the reticule will fight the mouvement or small movements are blocked until "bigger" mouvements  are done. 

Edited by (NSW)Sycoraxqc