Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are there out of bounds areas and pits?!

Rovaeden

DE,

Very simple question.

Why are there out of bounds areas and pits in a game with player mobility like we have in Warframe?

When I have a frame that can leap 100 feet, why was it necessary to design a map with out of bounds areas at the bottom of a 6 foot pit???

I assume this is legacy crap left over from when the game was young, but isn't it high time to get rid of immersion breaking foolishness like this?
You can make a pit without the out of bounds. We already have all the tools necessary to get ourselves up out of any pit we might get ourselves into. (at least any pit I have ever fallen into, and I am always falling into pits)

Also, ceiling areas that are out of bounds... WTF?!

• Like 1

A couple reasons

1: some areas were made before there was Parkour 2.0, and getting rid of them is harder than you might think. Pretty much any tileset made before the Sealab will have this. Plenty of areas in the pre-rework Gas City - one area in particular had a crazily low ceiling.

2: the old-fashioned 'this is a bottomless pit for real'. Which, some of them were before, but in examples like the ocean on Cetus and the Gas City... Gas are still legit.

3: it's good game design to limit the player's room to maneuver sometimes. It creates new and interesting gameplay situations if you need to take unconventional routes to move and/or fight through an area.

• Like 1

I studied game design as part of my major in college so I understand that argument.

However, lazy game design says "we will just make this area out of bounds". Good game design says "we need to preserve immersion so lets think about compelling reasons to make this area out of bounds".
Of course maps need borders, I'm not arguing that. What I take umbrage to, especially in a game like Warframe, are the overused *go to black screen and reset position* pits and ceiling areas.

I think by now, given how popular Warfame has become, DE can afford to hire a couple more devs to update maps as well as start running their own dedicated servers for matchmaking.. but that is a whole other issue.

1 hour ago, Rovaeden said:

What I take umbrage to, especially in a game like Warframe, are the overused *go to black screen and reset position* pits and ceiling areas.

This is a great opportunity for you to actually suggest something to replace it, rather than just saying "this sucks" and invoking a class you took at college to inflate your importance.

8 hours ago, Rovaeden said:

I studied game design as part of my major in college so I understand that argument.

However, lazy game design says "we will just make this area out of bounds". Good game design says "we need to preserve immersion so lets think about compelling reasons to make this area out of bounds".
Of course maps need borders, I'm not arguing that. What I take umbrage to, especially in a game like Warframe, are the overused *go to black screen and reset position* pits and ceiling areas.

I think by now, given how popular Warfame has become, DE can afford to hire a couple more devs to update maps as well as start running their own dedicated servers for matchmaking.. but that is a whole other issue.

On the immersion - possibly. Though I imagine that hiring new devs to fix it might not just be a problem of raw cost - I'm convinced Warframe's source code has Bolognaise seeping out of it there's so much spaghetti in there. I don't envy whoever has to learn to deal with that.

As for why the current ones can't... lack of demand I guess? I know a lot of games like to deal with it, but to some degree 'if it works' applies. Warframe already has a fair bit of questionable immersion anyway (double jump isn't particularly realistic), so a much quicker and snappier option might be preferable.

Yeah, definitely one of the poor decisions made back in the early days.

There are quite a few areas that are only about a meter away from a normal walkable section that end up acting as an "out of bounds" spot; they really need to work on those.