Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss "stressful" to play while feeling like you dont really do anything?

DreisterDino

Hey there,

so i tested Gauss this weekend, and somehow this Frame is really not enjoyable for me, and its a little hard for me to say why.

Yes, his 1st ability makes him really fast which might make him a viable pick in mission like Rescue in which you dont really care for any other Warframe-Abilities.

And his 2nd ability is the obigatory Damage-Reduction Ability which for some reason "every" Frame needs nowadays - but this doesnt add anything interesting to the Frame gameplaywise. I am aware of the fact that he can be really tanky aswell...still:

I dont know if you understand what i mean when i say he is "stressful to play while feeling like i dont really do anything".

The battery-mechanic is probably the reason why it feels stressful for me, it forces you to constantly move or spam abilities while having one eye on the meter.

And now comes the part the baffles me, while constantly doing all kinds of actions, it feels like the impact is really low.

His 3rd ability is a decent CC-Ability, but i would never pick Gauss for his CC, and if i want CC there are tons of better alternatives (yes, even Vauban imo)

While his 4th ability buffs all his other abilities, i kinda wonder "why do all this just to get his abilities to a level which most other Warframe's abilites have by default?"

I just wanna say that in general i like it when Frames use new mechanics which add to the usual 4-Abilities-Toolkit.

But in this case, the new mechanic doesnt make the frame more fun to play for me.

Ps: I also got Wisp this Weekend (i know, i am late 😄), and she is the complete opposite.

All of her abilities feel like they are useful and always have an impact on the game while being fun to use.

When i cast her abilities, i do it because i want to or because the situation demands it, not because the design of the frames "forces" me to cast them.

And she is also really fast with the Haste-Reservoir, but in a much more useful way imo since i can control the movement a lot better.

How do you feel about this?

Edited by DreisterDino
  • Like 1

Kenetic Plating changes Mach Rush's damage to slash and during Redline grants him increased melee damage. There is also no reason to focus on his battery meter unless you're face-tanking enemies with Kenetic Plating.

But all in all there is no real reason to run Gauss since he gets pretty easily outclassed by several other frames in each of his aspects. So if you don't find him fun you're not missing out on anything.

• Like 2

You gotta be in an amped up mood to play gauss you have to be doing a ton of actions quickly to take full advantage of him.  If you can adapt to him you can move faster than volt wipe out maps before anything has time to even react to you and your invulnerable.  

Also your missing some synergies with the 2 and 4 active everytime you  run into an object your spreading a fairly large slash dmg proc this is good dmg and a good base for CO melee.  Tap the 3 for big groups to freeze and even more Co synergies

To play him most effectively you gotta watch your mini map more than almost anything else and pic your next dash while killing this grouping zip kill zip kill zip kill zip kill, do it right and everything is just a blur and its pretty fun.  His battery will always be full as long as your always dashing and around killing stuff just never stand still ever.

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Dr.Tursko:

Gauss is my favorite. Some people might not enjoy the battery system, but if you have adaptation/ steel fiber the battery isn't needed to keep your shields/2 up.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb trst:

There is also no reason to focus on his battery meter unless you're face-tanking enemies with Kenetic Plating.

Again, i know Gauss can be really tanky, and i also know that i dont need to try to be on 100% beyond Redline all the time, that would be insanly annoying 😄

I am not saying he is bad - you can make everything work but it feels stressful to do so.

I guess what @kyori wrote combined with @trst 2nd paragraph is my problem with him:

Lots of micromanagement - still a little worse than other frames in most departments despite doing all this micromanagement

I think the reason for this is because his kit can do a lot of stuff. If you look at all the different things he can do, and then compare it to someone that takes no real micro-managing, like the Volt - who is easier to use, but can do fewer total things, that explains why it takes so much more work.

I mean... Gauss can run fast, can boost attack speed, fire rate, reload speed... can apply fire and cold status effects, can literally freeze enemies and burn them for insane damage... can combine those effects to get a blast status effect... can achieve major damage reduction for himself while also becoming immune to stagger and knockdowns, and restores his energy by absorbing that damage... can deal impact or slash damage just by running past enemies, while also knocking them down...

It's just a lot for one kit, so it makes sense that you have to put in effort to make it work right.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

I get what you're saying. But I think he's fun, but only for short times. I run a few missions every now and then with him for fun, but then I go back to my other frames. I just can't keep playing him the same way for a long time. I would rather say he's tiring.

Edited by JackHargreav

2 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

It's just a lot for one kit, so it makes sense that you have to put in effort to make it work right.

I hope Grendel will be kinda the opposite. I want to love Gauss but damn so much input for things that others do better.

I mean Volt and Zeph-zeph are pretty much better simply because of how simple and effective they are and those two can still go fast while doing other things.

To be honest he is a fun frame who really is completely useless lol. His tanking is great but tanking isn't needed in this game and even in endurance runs that massive period where you don't have 100% damage reduction you are just going to die. His CC is cool and can be fun to use but isn't the best or actually even the most enjoyable to use. His damage is good I guess but so is everything in this game for start chart enemies so its not exactly difficult to have "good" damage. Honestly I just run a balanced build on him and use his abilities as I see fit. The only reason to try to be at 100% redline as often as possible is idk if you are challenging yourself or something lol.

• Like 1

OP, the problem is entirely your own.  You just aren't playing him right.  I love Gauss.  Absolutely great frame, most fun I have had in a while.  Is he totally useless? Yes.  But Mach Rushing a Nox back and forth a dozen times while the squad tries to kill it is amazing.  Same with any other tanky mobs.  Are you doing damage? Nah.  Being Productive? Hell no.  

But it's worth a laugh.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Proslackernifty said:

OP, the problem is entirely your own.  You just aren't playing him right.  I love Gauss.  Absolutely great frame, most fun I have had in a while.  Is he totally useless? Yes.  But Mach Rushing a Nox back and forth a dozen times while the squad tries to kill it is amazing.  Same with any other tanky mobs.  Are you doing damage? Nah.  Being Productive? Hell no.  

But it's worth a laugh.

This guy knows how to game

8 hours ago, DreisterDino said:

I dont know if you understand what i mean when i say he is "stressful to play while feeling like i dont really do anything".

Oh i do understand loud and clearly. It's almost like you're taking the words outta my mouth. I was so deflated leveling Gauss a 2nd time (1 forma) that i couldn't help but decide to leave him to collect dust. What does he bring to the table? Some attack speed buffs that other frames can do as well much easier, a worse avalanche, a damage reduction ability that gets worse the more you get hit and speed...whilst not only being very limited in mobility but also not even the fastest method we have. Not to mention how energy costly it is to fill and keep up your battery. He is far from OP yet requires effort as if he was.

If you've got lots of speed mods like Rush and Sprint Boost and you're constantly sprinting, it should be pretty easy to keep his Redline battery up because now you're moving larger distances in the same amount of the time as you would without the Rush and Sprint Boost, thereby charging his battery faster. It is astounding how many Gauss builds I found with weirdo mods like Cunning Drift and Power Drift slotted. Heck, DE even gave you a hint with the built-in Naramon Exilus polarity.

Only thing I don't like is that if you're aiming your weapon, you are running slower and therefore, not charging the battery as fast as you possibly could. I really wish Gauss could be immune to the slow-down-while-aiming aspect! It makes no sense that you are punished for aiming your weapon on a frame that revolves around constantly sprinting and weapon buffing.

I like Gauss so far but a few tweaks could make him more enjoyable.

4 - Should be easier to build it up to 100%, it feels really slow, especially if you build for more duration

1 - Let me do side/back dashes for dodging purposes, only the dash, not the full sprint.

2 - Keep either the duration or the constant battery drain, not both, one has to go

Battery should increase his movement speed as well alongside the shield buffs imo, just with reduced efficiency so 100% battery is 35% movement speed increase or something along those lines.

Gauss is definitely a Warframe who needs a certain kind of mindset and approach to make useful. I see him as similar to Harrow in this respect: there's a set of direct synergies that require constant action and attention to make work perfectly.

A while ago, I hit a point in the game where I realized I could ace pretty much ace any mission by going at things really quickly and aggressively. Stay on the move, keep constant watch, continually set priorities and plan on the fly. If you're always moving then you're hard to damage; if you're watching and being smart about proiritizing, you can eliminate foes that cause the greatest problems for you. Acting faster than the enemy is probably the greatest advantage you can have against your opponent, at least in Warframe.

Gauss fits this style perfectly. Constantly move. Flash-CC groups before they can pin you. Amp yourself to the weapon platform you are when things get intense. Use your defensive skill only when you need to. Kinetic Plating is probably the biggest offender for people stumbling with Gauss, since it drains your Battery a lot. The solution is to only use when you need to (ie you are overwhelmed or you need more Energy) unless you've already capped Redline. Having it always on will make you tankier, but it drains your battery too much if you use it like this. Just keep going fast.

• Like 1

I've gotten into the habit of unloading an entire magazine, then tapping 1 while reloading. It keeps you mobile during an otherwise vulnerable period of shooting, and for Acceltra and Akarius this actually counts as sprinting for the purpose of their passive. This mostly lets me build meter passively without paying too much attention to it.

As for mobility, I've learned to think of Mach Rush as basically what Zephyr's airdash was supposed to be. It's great for long straights, but also for suddenly changing the direction of your air momentum (egs. after a bullet jump) and cancelling the endlag on melee slam attacks, which feels great once you remember to use it that way.

And also I want to shout this from the rooftops: GAUSS IS NOT USELESS WITHOUT FULL METER. Kinetic Plating "heals" you through energy regen and QT, so when combined with Adaptation and Arcane Guardian you can become practically immortal even at low battery. The buffs from Redline also become roughly comparable to a ~300% strength Wisp at around 50% battery, and you can only go up from there. Don't feel super stressed out about maintaining full meter all the time, there's no magical threshold where 100% Redline Gauss is Jesus on steroids and 99% Redline Gauss is a flaming dumpster fire.

• Like 2

While I totally agree that you get tired very fast while playing Gauss, and his abilities don't bring much to the table, he's the only frame that literally gives me an adrenaline rush in any mission... And I enjoy that a lot. Which is the whole purpose of playing a game in the first place. So I guess this is really up to personal taste.

Edited by YANJIUDING