Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you handle Lv.30+ Nodes?

(NSW)Q.Mulative

Question

I've mostly been able to get through to Lv.20 with my favourite Mag, using Pull to deal the bulk of damage to groups, using enemies' down-time to grab affinity on whatever weapon I'm training up, bullet-jumping through the group to grab any energy & ammo falling out, and hitting tougher enemies with Magnetize/Polarize + the Strun Shotgun.

I can do missions up to Lv.30 with Limbo by hiding in the rift, banishing small groups into there and hitting 'em with static & rift surge so I only have to deal with a couple of enemies at a time.

Over Lv. 30 seems kind of impossible. Seems like somewhere between Lv. 15 and 25 that the whole space-ninja gameplay is most immersive while still being challenging. 

I'm thinking about finding a combination of mods that lets Mag's Pull deal 1000 damage and guarantee the energy-orb-drop, as per the wiki entry, but how do you deal when you see nodes of higher levels?

Groups only? Looking up broken strats or bugs that make the missions easy? Train- and use a frame or weapons that you're less interested in?

22 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

but how do you deal when you see nodes of higher levels?

Groups only? Looking up broken strats or bugs that make the missions easy? Train- and use a frame or weapons that you're less interested in?

By ranking up mods, max (or rank 8/10) serration/hornet strike/pressure point/point blank, then check from proper builds for the weapons you are using and the best elements to use for the enemies you are going to fight

• Like 5

Being stubborn goes a long way, if you know when to be stubborn... But other than that, PC players may have a different perspective.

Common thread, however, is training. Learn how to use what you feel more effective with, learn what you don't want to use for pure knowledge.

... I took that too far though, so I have a unique perspective than the rest.

29 minutes ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

By ranking up mods, max (or rank 8/10) serration/hornet strike/pressure point/point blank, then check from proper builds for the weapons you are using and the best elements to use for the enemies you are going to fight

For Mag, I'm slowly working towards mods that give that 1000-damage pull with either a higher chance of orb drop, or higher efficiency, at the cost of skill duration if necessary

For the Strun, I think I've got a pretty good setup here (I've added a forma since then so they're all maxed out): 

As for the other weapons, I really like the Nunchaku, so I'm going for a Ninkondi Prime, maybe a Shaku as well, and gunning for the stance mod once those nodes open up, and keeping a laser on hand (Gammacor currently) to balance out the shotgun and maybe help with damage ticks on Magnetize.

Edited by (NSW)Q.Mulative

37 minutes ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

For the Strun, I think I've got a pretty good setup here (I've added a forma since then so they're all maxed out): 

First, build the normal strun if you can, big upgrade on mk1, or hek if you like shotguns

Second remove tactical pump/shotgun savy/shotgun spazz (probably shredded too, but I really don't remember what those 4 mods do other than being not worth it), max chilling grasp and add a maxed incendiary coat

1 hour ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

That's...  Honestly not great.  First off, putting Forma on a MK1 weapon is a waste, if you're really attached to the Strun, get the blueprint for the generic version from the market and make that, but to be honest the Strun (MK1 and generic) are probably the worst primary shotguns in the game.  If you really want to use a shotgun I'd recommend building the Hek If you're at at least MR 4.

27 minutes ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

Remove Savvy & Spazz & Shredder?  The plan with those was that quickly unloading a clip with those on will proc bleed while I reload

The Strun doesn't Proc enough for that to be a valid strategy, especially not with the mods you have access to.  The Hek or Khom is the closest thing you can get to a Status-focused shotgun until you hit MR7.

As for your build, generally your better off stacking more damage than worrying about fire-rate or reload speed, so I'd say drop Tactical Pump and Shotgun Spazz in favor of elemental damage mods.  I'd also suggest dropping Shotgun Savvy in favor of an elemental damage as well, since it doesn't really contribute much.  As for Shredder, I'm honestly almost never in favor of using Physical damage mods, but if you're going to use one, you'd benefit more from Disruptor than Shredder, as the Strun does mostly impact damage.

As for the other weapons, I really like the Nunchaku, so I'm going for a Ninkondi Prime, maybe a Shaku as well, and gunning for the stance mod once those nodes open up, and keeping a laser on hand (Gammacor currently) to balance out the shotgun  and maybe help with damage ticks on Magnetize.

The Ninkondi (both generic and prime) are good weapons.  The Shaku on the other hand are garbage, don't bother with them unless you're farming mastery.  The Gammacor (and really beam weapons in general, with a couple of exceptions) is not great, also the "Magnitize" mentioned in the Warframe Wiki entry for Mags pull if referring specifically to Mag's ability Magnetize, not the status effect.  I'd recommend swapping the Gammacor out for a dual machine pistol (most accessible would probably be the Akzani), or the Lex to balance out the shortish range of shotguns.

Finally, your Warframe.  Mag really isn't the a great damage dealer unless you do some tedious min-maxing, and Pull really isn't a damage-focused power.  The fact that it's dealing more damage than your weapons is honestly more a testament to how bad off your weapons are than anything else.  I'm not saying you can't use Mag in higher levels, just that she isn't going to be especially effective for a newer player like you.

EDIT: Here's a basic Strun build I'd recommend based off of the mods I know for sure you have from your screenshot (again, get the generic Strun, it's far better than the MK1), you can just throw whatever mods in the last two slots.  I'd very much recommend farming out the mods Contagious Spread and Charged Shell if you don'r have them.  Level 30 really isn't that hard once you get the hang of the game and have decent builds, keep at it and you'll be burning your way through much harder content with ease in no time.

Edited by xXRampantXx
  • Like 1

1) Upgrade your mods

2) Learn/practice how to move around better

3) Maybe try a few different weapons

Mag is a good frame. No need to try other frames yet, tho there are a few better options out there.

After you get the hang of it, lv1~lv40 missions will have no difference for you.

Most players rush right past enemies (ignoring them), CC enemies or kill enemies with AoE.

You don't need some broken strat or cheese to get through lv30 nodes. You just need to get better at the game and learn a few mechanics. This is coming from someone who started a new account recently.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum

What I usually do is to fully mod towards damage, while being smart about elemental damage/combo. Once you start getting used into modding weapons (including several different types), you can start thinking outside of the box like adapting your mod build to include Critical Rate and/or Status Chance.

The Mk1-Strun can be safely used up to Pluto/Eris. Beyond that, its effectiveness drops FAST. Choosing the proper elemental damage/combo becomes necessary from Pluto/Eris though.

I strongly suggest NOT using an elemental combo which 90% of the available enemies resist against, like Radiation or Blast. Mag is pretty decent in dealing with masses of enemies so you should probably keep the CC capability on Mag alone.

8 hours ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

Remove Savvy & Spazz & Shredder?  The plan with those was that quickly unloading a clip with those on will proc bleed while I reload

1) the problem with status and shotguns is that if you have (without multishot mods) 99% status chance means you have 99% chance that at least one pellet would proc (for example on a 10 pellet shotguns it means around 36% status chance for each pellet) while 100% status chance means every pellet is going to proc.

So usually unless you hit 100% you don't build status

2) IPS (impact/puncture/slash) mods are usually bad, that's because they increase only the damage for that type

Let's suppose a weapon that deals 10 impact, 10 puncture and 10 slash, if you add a mod that gives you 90% slash, you'll end up with 10 I/10 P /19 S, while if you add a mod that gives 90% elemental damage you get 10 I/10 P/10 S/27 elemental

9 hours ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

Wrt your mods: [Shotgun Savvy] and [Shredder] are the weakest links.

Replace these two and [Chilling Grasp] (+25 points) with [Charged Shell] and [Contagious Spread] (-22 points) to form Corrosive damage.

For a long time, Corrosive damage will simply be your overall best damage type.

I would consider adding [Blaze] or [Vigilante Armaments] to the remaining mod slot.

---

As someone else mentioned, a major problem is the weapon itself. That said, with the changes I've suggested above, even with an MK1-Strun you should be able to hold your own.

Are you having a hard time with killing enemies? The suggestions should help.

Or are you having a hard time with surviving?

Well I can see now why you'd want to mod for elemental damage over physical statuses.  I saw the raw numbers but figured that the physical statuses, particularly bleed-procs, would be more consistent against more foes, at the cost of not being the highest DPS.  When going up against the prosecutors, the  wiki states that they're all weak against slash, just in case you don't have the right element handy, so you don't end up in an unwinnable situation, so I kinda took that to mean keeping a slash-gun around would be good for most enemies if you don't wanna deal with element-swapping.

16 minutes ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

I kinda took that to mean keeping a slash-gun around would be good for most enemies if you don't wanna deal with element-swapping

That is indeed the case, Slash procs are amazing.

But as was said, you need a reliably-proccing weapon for that, and a MK-1 Strun ain't it, kiddo.

You could try e.g. Dread (common Stalker drop) for an early Slash proc delivery system
(if your damage Mods aren't up to snuff and one-shot everything anyway lol),
or Miter if you're in the mood to farm for that (Ceres boss fight).

Mind, unless you also have some elemental Dual Stat Mods for upping your Status Chance
(e.g. Spy drops Heat and Cold versions), you still may not get to "reliable" levels,
so pure DPS, with just raw (yay elemental) damage and maybe Crit focus, might serve you better for a bit there.

Hek is an often-recommended "delete button" of a gun though personally I enjoy e.g. Kohm (and Sobek, woo Acid Shells) way more,
maybe go for Tonkor if you like (Crit RNG willing) one-shot pwnage, also try Atomos and Kulstar for some more AoE funzies.

You can do lvl 30+ with Mag & Limbo, if you utilize their strengths. To do that you need some (not necessarily all) of the better/top mods, and you need to learn how the warframe abilities work.

Mag is one of the most powerful warframes in the game, but she needs lots of energy, and an active and varied playstyle to kill and to protect herself (as an offensive Mag is also wimpy). Magnetize together with the right projectile weapon kills just about everything (punch-through is quite important), but the size and duration of your spheres need to be adjusted to your playstyle and the mission. You can also avoid a lot of damage by standing just inside your Magnetize sphere. Crush replenishes your shields (seriously important for survivability). Additionally, Mag has pretty nifty augment mods, though their usefulness depends a lot on your playstyle. A fully and correctly modded Mag (Prime) can handle just about anything the games throws at you.

Limbo shares a slight wimpyness with Mag, and jumping in and out of the rift will get you only that far. On the other hand Stasis + Cataclysm is one of the most op things in the game, and the correct usage should easily take you to lvl 30 and beyond. Remember that you don't have to stay (or even go into) your rift bubble, you can stay rifted, cast Stasis, then cast Cataclysm at a distance and shoot the rifted (and "stasisied") enemies from outside the bubble (as long as you keep Limbo in the rift). When the bubble pops you are still rifted (and can't be hurt), but remember that enemies within the rift can hurt you when Stasis ends (one rift bubble = approx. 2 stasis). All you need is enough duration (and energy/energy regeneration) and a weapon that can actually kill the enemies, and you can solo the whole starmap. Big or small range on the bubble is play style dependent. Your main problem will be nullies (and other comparable bubble poppers).

To kill tanky enemies you WILL need good weapons and enough good mods for them. But there are lots (and lots) of weapons good enough for anything the starchart throws at you. Magnetize really needs a projectile weapon, a shotgun or bullet-hose reliably proc'cing gas (whose cloud spread a toxin proc within 3 meters) or a high damage projectile with punch-through (which continues to hit enemies in the magnetize bubble until the punch-through is spent) work quite well. Limbo + a shotgun works well within the cataclysm bubble, but if you stay outside the bubble (but within the rift) a primary/secondary that you can use to headshot the "stasisied" enemies is a better alternative. Using a well-thought out primary/secondary combo will give you both alternatives. Forget melee (when using Mag/Limbo), though there are a few thrown ones that will work, as will the gunblades. A whip is a good starter, doing reasonable damage with a lot of range (Atterax is MR2).

Edited by Graavarg

10 hours ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

I saw the raw numbers but figured that the physical statuses, particularly bleed-procs, would be more consistent against more foes, at the cost of not being the highest DPS

You're not exactly wrong, it's just that the Strun isn't a good weapon for that.  Really, no shotgun is going to be good for a status build unless you have the four dual-stat elemental mods, Frigid Blast, Scattering Inferno, Shell Shock, and Toxic Barrage, the last two of which are rather tedious to farm, and the earliest you'll have access to a shotgun with good enough of a status chance is MR 8.  Also, as @(NSW)Fiftycentis mentioned, with a very few exceptions, shotguns aren't really suited to status builds.

Unfortunately, you won't have immediate access to any good slash-based status weapons (outside of melee) until you hit around MR7 or 8.  Until then, if you're close to hitting 100 days on the login rewards, the Zenith is an excellent choice, but if you've already hit 100 days and chose something else you won't have access to the Zenith again until 300 logins.

10 hours ago, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

When going up against the prosecutors, the  wiki states that they're all weak against slash, just in case you don't have the right element handy, so you don't end up in an unwinnable situation, so I kinda took that to mean keeping a slash-gun around would be good for most enemies if you don't wanna deal with element-swapping.

Again, you're not wrong, you're just using the wrong weapon.  The Strun is an Impact-focused weapon, and adding slash mods to it simply doesn't increase it's slash damage enough to make it functional in that situation.  Again, if you're close, this is another situation where The Zenith would serve you well.  Otherwise, some decent early-game options would be the Vasto (revolver) and the Kohm (automatic shotgun).  If you're in a clan that has research done than the Sybaris (Two-round burst rifle) or the Kohmak (automatic shotgun pistol) would also work.

To be honest, the biggest piece of advice I can give you right now is to try out a whole bunch of weapons and Warframes and make sure to level them all to 30 so that you increase you're mastery, as doing that will give you access to more weapons and allow you to try out many different weapons and 'Frames you might find you like.

Also, if you're really attached to the Strun family of shotguns, the Strun Wraith has the highest status chance of all shotguns.  It's not available until MR10 and is rather tedious to farm, but it could be something for you to work towards if it interests you.

Edited by xXRampantXx

I wasn't expecting to  like the Strun as much as I did, with its weird paint-can for a barrel.  At first I  just wanted a shotgun in my loadout.  I'll definitely try some of the others as they unlock.  I do have the Dread, and I've used it to beat the bosses on The War Within, and I heard  that Pox with Magnetize can do some serious damage, too.  I have a piece of the Miter as well, so I'll probably get that assembled soon.

Hek & Rhino sound like popular choices, but I've got some aversion to homogenizing.  Did a lot of that in WoW and it wore down the appeal of the game quickly over time.

I figured that you were kinda safe inside Mag's Magnetize radius if  you were surrounded by shooters, but it was hard to tell how safe, as there were so many attacks flying in from all angles that I always seemed to die from something if I tried hiding in my Magnetize sphere.

For Limbo it's very helpful to know that weapons will shoot across "gaps" in the rift.  I would typically hang out in a status+cataclysm while protecting an objective, or banish everyone while keeping myself in the material plane, so this adds another option to my strategies.

Edited by (NSW)Q.Mulative

I do have the Dread

That's a pretty good weapon for slash damage, the only reason I didn't mention it was because I figured you were unlikely to have it.  It's neither the king of slash weapons, nor the king of bows, but it'll serve you well at your current point in the game.

Hek & Rhino sound like popular choices, but I've got some aversion to homogenizing.

"homogenizing" isn't really a thing in Warframe, and even if it were I'd agree that it's a good way to get bored, but here you have to try new weapons and warframes to progress anyway, and those are two of the common early game picks that help a lot of new players find their footing, to they are the usual go-to recommendations.

In the case of the Hek, I only suggested it because I assumed (based off of your use of the Strun) that you have a preference for Shotguns, and the Hek is a direct upgrade from what you're using.

In the case of Rhino, He's honestly about as far away for "homogenizing" as you can get.  As I said before, he can help you get your footing early game, but you're not likely to see many people using him past that.

I figured that you were kinda safe inside Mag's Magnetize radius if  you were surrounded by shooters, but it was hard to tell how safe, as there were so many attacks flying in from all angles that I always seemed to die from something if I tried hiding in my Magnetize sphere.

You're safe from bullets, and (as far as I know) that's about it.  Explosions, melee attacks, and any special abilities enemies have can still hit you.

For Limbo it's very helpful to know that weapons will shoot across "gaps" in the rift.  I would typically hang out in a status+cataclysm while protecting an objective, or banish everyone while keeping myself in the material plane, so this adds another option to my strategies.

No weapons can cross the rift.  If you're inside, you can only affect enemies who are also inside, and if you're outside you only affect enemies outside.  Some weapons or weapon Arcanes have special abilities that can cross the rift, such as Pax Seeker's projectiles, but they usually require killing an enemy to trigger, with will still require at least one enemy in the same plane you are.  Otherwise the only way to do damage across the rift is with Warframe abilities, which means only players besides the person using Limbo can do so.  Also remember that,as with Warframe abilities, enemy special abilities will also pass through the rift.

Edited by xXRampantXx

On 2019-09-16 at 2:05 PM, (NSW)Q.Mulative said:

I've mostly been able to get through to Lv.20 with my favourite Mag, using Pull to deal the bulk of damage to groups, using enemies' down-time to grab affinity on whatever weapon I'm training up, bullet-jumping through the group to grab any energy & ammo falling out, and hitting tougher enemies with Magnetize/Polarize + the Strun Shotgun.

I can do missions up to Lv.30 with Limbo by hiding in the rift, banishing small groups into there and hitting 'em with static & rift surge so I only have to deal with a couple of enemies at a time.

Over Lv. 30 seems kind of impossible. Seems like somewhere between Lv. 15 and 25 that the whole space-ninja gameplay is most immersive while still being challenging. 

I'm thinking about finding a combination of mods that lets Mag's Pull deal 1000 damage and guarantee the energy-orb-drop, as per the wiki entry, but how do you deal when you see nodes of higher levels?

Hi Mr9 at ceres at the moment, I totally die in ceres at this moment but at your time I just invest endo in my most usefull mods, the ones that give you damage like serration, max over those, max over vitality and armor, then focus on your warframe abilties, for example I use gara in defense, at that time I ha in her continuity plus Augur Message with efficiency and instensify I was able to take all damage due her 2 ability, plus her passive its a automatic blinding, so you can take into account what frame you will use in you mission and be more active with their abilities and energy management.