Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon name Profanity filter?

Cmdr_Welker

3 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Yes it's a daft filter, you can't even use some of the part names...

Yours is basically because Amb***ador includes 3 letter which are on the list... which is a bit stupid but most of us are used to it by now lol

Any chance DE will change that?

On 2019-09-17 at 3:31 PM, (XB1)KayAitch said:

There's a town here called SC***horpe. Their local council installed an anti-profanity filter and it blocked every single user.

When I was at school the library computers had "Charles ****ens" listed as an author.

This kind of thing is surprisingly hard to get right.

That's because it existing at all is already getting it wrong. I am VERY firmly against censorship and believe there's no such thing as bad or offensive words. Why? Because the word only has as much power to offend you as YOU choose to let it have. All the concept of bad words does is give power to said words by putting it in peoples minds that the word is offensive. They are only bad because you think and say they are. 

To me nearly all forms of censorship are almost as bad as burning books because it's one of those slippery slope type deals where all it does is snowball out of control until you get to that point before you're even aware of it. One second it's "Oh noes he said a cuss" and the next you're pouring gasoline on Tom Sawyer.

Edit in: But it's even worse when it's on something NOBODY but you will see anyway like loadout slots and it's a word that isn't even bad but like in OP has three letters that by themselves STILL isn't a bad word but for some reason people act like it is.

Edited by Sikelh

13 hours ago, Sikelh said:

That's because it existing at all is already getting it wrong. I am VERY firmly against censorship and believe there's no such thing as bad or offensive words.

That there are no words that offend you isn't really the point, and it's not censorship - you aren't being censured or even actually silenced. You're free to go on a street corner and shout the name you want to put on your zaw, DE won't stop you.

It's DE's game, they get to pick what goes in it. It's not a forum where free speech applies, quite the opposite: it's DE's business they need to be welcoming to as many users as possible.

The filter is both rubbish and clunky, but also cheap (as in no dev time). Meanwhile offended users may actually leave, but nobody's quit just because they couldn't call their zaw ******hammer.

They're always going to err on the side of caution, and I'd rather they spent the dev time and money getting game content out.

14 hours ago, Sikelh said:

That's because it existing at all is already getting it wrong. I am VERY firmly against censorship and believe there's no such thing as bad or offensive words. Why? Because the word only has as much power to offend you as YOU choose to let it have. All the concept of bad words does is give power to said words by putting it in peoples minds that the word is offensive. They are only bad because you think and say they are. 

Good luck convincing the rest of the world. You're entitled to your opinion on the matter, but you can't for one second expect everyone else to agree with you and follow suit. There is a large percentage, in fact quite possibly an absolute majority, that do find certain things bad/offensive, and thus censorship will remain regardless of your opinion.

You may consider it bad, but that doesn't mean that it is.

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Good luck convincing the rest of the world. You're entitled to your opinion on the matter, but you can't for one second expect everyone else to agree with you and follow suit. There is a large percentage, in fact quite possibly an absolute majority, that do find certain things bad/offensive, and thus censorship will remain regardless of your opinion.

Be that as it may, censoring words like "d*ck" and "ass" in a game with a mature rating is frankly silly.

Edited by Yuri_Doujinshi

On 2019-09-19 at 2:55 PM, DeMonkey said:

Never said I was trying to convince the rest of the world. If something as simple as logic was enough we wouldn't have half the problems in the world we do. The reason the issue exists is the same reason it will continue to do so no matter what anyone does. 

But the point still remains that it has no place in a game where one commits mass genocide as easily as one might stroll over to the counter to pour his afternoon tea.