Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The polygon review???

(PSN)sweatshawp

6 hours ago, BansheePrime said:

Soo... what has more customization than Warframe?

KR MMORPGs allow wider variance between individual players (even older games). At the end of the day, the main differences between two people using the same Warframes are the colors they chose and slight differences between skins or attachments. The article talks about "choices for days", but aren't actually talking about customization, but the choices of Warframes... but given all Warframes function differently, these aren't actually "customization" options. They only would be if the skills we got were selected independently of the Warframe we choose.

Then there's Operators, and customizing them is extremely limited even by the standard of older games. No sliders, and clothing is very limited, shoes and pants aren't even separated either. Differences between Operators mainly come down to color options and accessories.

Edited by Yamazuki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

Its crazy that this is what warframe gets spotlighted on the fashion frame and not actual gameplay etc that’s going on within the game. Not covering fortuna how much “content” the game has the movement etc. while I do understand that A lot of this has been said before and warframe is a great game I find it offsetting that it gets more shine in being a dolly dress up game then a mmo/lootershooter. 

What are your opinions on the article good cynical folk of the forums?

This review is just one of many by Polygon. I actually had to do some digging to find this one, and the top results in Google if you cross-reference Warframe and Polygon are this one from 2017, just after the Kuva Fortress came out, and this one from 2019 that is also glowing and mentions the biggest problem with the game being a lack of giving players dirrections, which is balanced out by a helpful community

This one about dress-up and Fashionframe is not the Polygon review, it's just review. And it's honestly wholesome and strictly positive. If you haven't read it, give it a read. The author compares Warframe's depth of customization (Fashionframe) in both scope and weight with other games, and with playing with customizable toys in a similar way during childhood. The phrase "dolly dress-up", while considered pejorative among many circles, isn't meant as a jab in the article. It's genuine expression of enjoying this part of the game.

Edited by SenorClipClop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Corvid said:

Does the article actually say that? I scanned through but couldn't find it.

I wouldn't be surprised (it's polygon after all), I'm just wondering.

You do realise that there is both a male and a female body type for operators, right?

not at the start, plus they are still pretty androgynous given that the only "female" aspect is a female face pasted over a males body.

Edited by Methanoid

18 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

not at the start, plus they are still pretty androgynous given that the only "female" aspect is a female face pasted over a males body.

Wait, what? My operator is female and she's surely having the curves, perhaps you're using the wrong face? If you have emissary outfit from nightwave the female face should have 3 tails on the hood otherwise you're using a male one

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 844448 said:

Wait, what? My operator is female and she's surely having the curves, perhaps you're using the wrong face? If you have emissary outfit from nightwave the female face should have 3 tails on the hood otherwise you're using a male one

😄 not sure, i dont really use operators so havent noticed, been a long time since i used the appearance aspect, only used it at the start really when there were far fewer options and they most certainly didnt look 1 way or the other.

11 hours ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/13/20750950/warframe-character-customization-captura-screenshots

Its crazy that this is what warframe gets spotlighted on the fashion frame and not actual gameplay etc that’s going on within the game. Not covering fortuna how much “content” the game has the movement etc. while I do understand that A lot of this has been said before and warframe is a great game I find it offsetting that it gets more shine in being a dolly dress up game then a mmo/lootershooter. 

What are your opinions on the article good cynical folk of the forums?

Polygon is cancer manifest. Seriously, nothing they say should be taken with nothing but a metric ton of salt and some pepper as well. 

11 hours ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

To make articles on the gameplay would actually require them to comprehend how to play one... *cough* cuphead *cough*

1 hour ago, Methanoid said:

Yes at the start. I distinctly remember switching between the two bodies as I selected my Operator's face. This was before we even had the option to blend faces.

And the female body is quite definitively feminine. To the point that I could tell at a glance from the first cutscene showing them (It actually made me think we'd somehow rescued Margulis instead of ourselves when I first played through). Just because it doesn't use the same exaggerated proportions as the various warframes doesn't mean it's not female.

• Like 1

I would say the article is aimed at specific demographics and not at all a bad decision either for the site or for the game. I play the game for the "content" as much as I do for the aesthetics. Warframe is completely alien compared to all the stuff out there. I'm super uninterested in most other sci-fi looter-shooters just because how run-of-the-mill their aesthetics are. My girlfriend, an avid pokemon and animal crossing fan wasn't at all interested in the game until she heard me gush about ayatan sculptures, fortuna people and how much personality oozes out of the warframes. Now she's a better frame farmer than I am and drags me to all the prime farms cause she just wants that fantastic "dolly dress-up" this game delivers.

While this is indeed going in a direction that most games of the genre don't heavily invest in, warframe does make a very unique proposition. Up and personal power fantasy, with fabulous style.I think the review serves a purpose and caters to certain types of players and that's not at all bad. One might argue that this would just push the devs into making more cosmetics and not deliver actually playable content, the truth is, the studio is only going to do what's going to make them the most amount of money for the least amount of labour. Their revenue model seems to be releasing new frames>outsourcing cosmetics through tennogen and deliver one big update each year that adds to the gameplay and serves as good marketing material. So yeah, this is beneficial for how they are running the business currently.

I do want warframe to get to the point where customization is as wide as was advertised for anthem, at the same time I don't want it to come at the cost of its soul. That's possibly a thing most warframe vets would have a hard time to grapple with. But I only wish the team more and more success, whichever route they go. They have so far done a great job at balancing a ton of things, especially when it comes to crunch work. Never want my entertainment to come at the cost of suffering.

This is not to say content draught isn't real, it's very real.What I'm hoping that they worked on Empyrean to deliver steady content which works with a different framework than the rest of the game. Heard quite a few times how the team kinda feels trapped with the current damage and modding system they have established.

13 hours ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

It's Polygon. I wouldn't go there for gaming news. They aren't gamers and they certainly aren't any kind of journalist. They're there to push an agenda and you shouldn't buy what they're trying to sell. They do not have your interests at heart as a gamer. 

In this case, the article isn't bad as Polygon stuff goes and it just highlights an aspect of the game that many of us engage in to some degree--dressing up your avatars. This isn't new. I recall seeing similar commentary in games like WoW back in the day, especially when we got the ability to swap armor skins. 

It is part of the game. The fact the author addressed it as such is well above the bar for most of the dreck that slops out of Polygon. 

1 hour ago, (XB1)KingSnurre said:

Still waiting for that list of games that have better cosmetic options.  I don't doubt that there are some but as an XBox player I haven't been finding it in the games I've been playing.  It's either gear related, like Destiny, Neverwinter, ESO, with consumable dyes, or it's just skins like Gears.

Anthem?

Well it is polygon so most of the time they can not actually play the game. So they can't go into it, also it's to triggering because shootty bang bang, there really is no agenda for them to cling to, there are really even make female of alot of builds and power so they have nothing there. All they can really do is stuff about the fashion.

Just an added thing if you don't like the kind of article or site you should link to the archive of it rather than feeding them. But thats just my thaught.

16 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Who reads Polygon lol

This made me happy Thank you.

I don't have problem with that article but there are a lot more game which have better customization options than warframe. If we count only the frames and their cosmetics then basically color-official/tennogen skins-helmets and some armor part is what you can put on your frame.

In city of heroes, champions online even mount and blade series you can do a bit more customization especially in champions online, what I found funny in that aspect. Old rpg and adventure games also have options, mmo games mostly good at it but not every does this job better because most of these mmos are missing good customization parts. Somewhere you can make nice faces, bodies but cannot add normal armor, some limits the body and facial options, others just looks bad but have good gears, another have bad voice acting and have nice graphics.

As far as I can tell the Sims and Spore the only non mmo games, what can provide you a lot of variations even there are limits too.

My personal favorite is the EVE because it evolved a lot, they invested a lot in character creation and while you cannot make trolly characters, you can make pretty fair and realistic ones. The ideal character creator is which let you change everything on your character like the appearance, backstory, personality, physical attributes and how react with the environment. Still noone made a game which can cater all the player types so that is a bit far aways, in my opinion warframe is doing an acceptable job in this aspect, but this is only about the fashion. For gameplay there are a lot other articles and these articles mostly shown the needs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (XB1)KingSnurre said:

Still waiting for that list of games that have better cosmetic options.  I don't doubt that there are some but as an XBox player I haven't been finding it in the games I've been playing.  It's either gear related, like Destiny, Neverwinter, ESO, with consumable dyes, or it's just skins like Gears.

M.A.S.S. Builder.
Armored Core series.
Black Desert.
Kurtzpel.

HoneySelect (hey, it's a game so it counts.)

Warframe customization is not that in depth. You simply have more coats and hats to choose from but you can't really change the look of the Warframe itself. I'm sure there are plenty of MMOs with deeper customization than Warframe.

Edited by Goodwill