Jump to content
(XB1)Phantom Clip

I use 40 frames just fine. But what does Gauss do?

Recommended Posts

I think we can all agree that several other warframes do what gauss can do and some. If you need to wiki a frame and take notes on how and where he is actually viable then I think something's wrong. The only true use I see for him, warframe pinball mini-game.

  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Gauss's battery is only difficult when in Redline mode where it requires effort to maintain. Outside of Redline, his battery is trivially easy to keep charged.

Still to much cod ūüôā

Edited by Hexsing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, (PS4)Yodunheim said:

I think we can all agree that several other warframes do what gauss can do and some. If you need to wiki a frame and take notes on how and where he is actually viable then I think something's wrong. The only true use I see for him, warframe pinball mini-game.

You need to wiki everything in this game though.

  • Haha 1
  • Satisfied 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

Gauss builds battery while moving, not running. You can Aim Glide and gun your Acceltra all the way down the corridor at max speed to sweep a group of enemies while building battery.

 

Gauss only good in hallways?

 

7 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

 

The suggestion for melee to build up his Battery will specifically allow you to mash melee while running into enemies constantly with Kinetic Plating sitting at a high amount

 

So future Gauss may be better if they change him to charge while melee? Yes, but right now, it doesn't work that way. You will be dead on arrival in many cases. Not every enemy in the same faction deals the same damage.

 

7 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

Battery counters the problem of Energy which is that Energy has become too plentiful that any ability that doesn't come with an impossibly ridiculous cost can easily achieve 100% uptime.

 

Have you ever heard of Primed flow? Streamline? Energizing dash? Arcane grace? Every frame can be built to have 100% ability uptime. They give you PLENTY of ways to build energy. It's an intended effect

 

7 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

 

He is in a good spot. You're effectively upset that the new character in a fighting game does not have projectiles to spam and saying the character is bad.

Umm when did I ever say that? ?

Plus, You just said he can glide and spam acceltra projectiles....

You full of contradictions. I have to blame myself for humoring this conversation.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, -VS-WeebusRussus said:

 

 

2 hours ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Putting Gauss in a situation specifically engineered to kill Gauss leads to Gauss dying. This doesn't really prove anything other than Gauss isn't 100% invincible to everything in the game, which didn't need proving.

This Gauss has no battery. His kinetic plating is active but not working at 100%.    He's not losing energy so no quick thinking. One hit knocks him down to 2 hp. I would love to know what build allows him to stay at 2hp, while preventing the damage that lowered him to 2hp.  

I have no problem saying I don't know. From what I see this is not natural game play. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Gauss only good in hallways?

 

So future Gauss may be better if they change him to charge while melee? Yes, but right now, it doesn't work that way. You will be dead on arrival in many cases. Not every enemy in the same faction deals the same damage.

 

Have you ever heard of Primed flow? Streamline? Energizing dash? Arcane grace? Every frame can be built to have 100% ability uptime. They give you PLENTY of ways to build energy. It's an intended effect

 

Umm when did I ever say that? ?

Plus, You just said he can glide and spam acceltra projectiles....

You full of contradictions. I have to blame myself for humoring this conversation.

Saying that one statement is true does not imply that all other statements that are not the first statement is false. An example of something does not prove that everything outside of that situation is wrong. Did I ever mention Gauss is only good in hallways? This is me saying an Apple can be red, and you getting angry and exclaiming, "Are apples only red?"

I'm specifically mentioning that in reference to someone's suggestion of allowing his melee attacks to charge his battery. The reason why DE probably excluded such an effect from his design is because they realized that having it defeated the purpose of having it scale to your battery. 

100% ability uptime was not an intended design, this much is obvious from the fact that they're not passives. Also, it's specifically about easily achieving 100% ability uptime. The examples you provide are things that the player would have to make a decision on, much like how you would have to make a effort of doing things different to maintain your Battery gauge with Gauss. Right now, achieving 100% uptime with Kinetic Plating is possible, and some people would probably say it's easy to maintain it at a high amount but it requires more effort than just pressing a single button every 30 seconds and ignoring it.

You do understand the meaning of the word figurative right? Or are you someone that will run out into the street and yell in anger about how there aren't any cats or dogs falling from the sky?

P.S. To anger you further, this is like me throwing a ball at a wall. ("You're not throwing anything. There's not even a ball. Now you're making things up")

Edited by RX-3DR
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kengxiaoju said:

gauss is just like ash. get lvl 30 then becomes trash

gauss is just a tanky Ôľąbut i prefer inarosÔľČidiot who hits the wall because poor design is not flexible to turn. and no lures.¬†

 

Yup. I would still choose Ash tho if I must. 

1 hour ago, Hexsing said:

 

Otherwise I don't have much of a desire to get him.  While his kit seems interesting enough, I feel like other Frames can do what he offers. 

Or...Ill use Wisp. She must currently be the most versatile and best designed frame.  Its one of the first ones that I could honeslty say that does not need a rework.  

Gause just seems a little to problematic.  I havnt played him.  But for now I don't see the value of him with all the battery issues I have been hearing about

Other frame can do what he does just without the speed burst.

Wisp is bae. Does everything Gauss can do but better and more. No DR but health boost with great health regeneration.

His battery come from the dollar store. Won't even power your remote.

1 hour ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Gauss's battery is only difficult when in Redline mode where it requires effort to maintain. Outside of Redline, his battery is trivially easy to keep charged.

Yup, his 4th requires alot of effort to maintain. You still get the boost, but not the increased effects. But you forget his kinetic plating. Battery lowers with every hit you take.  You need full battery for 100% DR. You have to spam 1 and 3 or run for battery charge. You need redline active to go over 100% battery to keep Damage Reduction up so you can tank. But every hit lowers your battery. You get 3 swings or aimed shots then you right back to spamming abilities or running around to charge battery.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Yodunheim said:

I think we can all agree that several other warframes do what gauss can do and some. If you need to wiki a frame and take notes on how and where he is actually viable then I think something's wrong. The only true use I see for him, warframe pinball mini-game.

Mmhmm pinball. But he's not even good for that.  He doesn't bounce off objects lol. Just hit the wall and stand there. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

Saying that one statement is true does not imply that all other statements that are not the first statement is false. An example of something does not prove that everything outside of that situation is wrong. Did I ever mention Gauss is only good in hallways? This is me saying an Apple can be red, and you getting angry and exclaiming, "Are apples only red?"

I'm specifically mentioning that in reference to someone's suggestion of allowing his melee attacks to charge his battery. The reason why DE probably excluded such an effect from his design is because they realized that having it defeated the purpose of having it scale to your battery. 

100% ability uptime was not an intended design, this much is obvious from the fact that they're not passives. Also, it's specifically about easily achieving 100% ability uptime. The examples you provide are things that the player would have to make a decision on, much like how you would have to make a effort of doing things different to maintain your Battery gauge with Gauss. Right now, achieving 100% uptime with Kinetic Plating is possible, and some people would probably say it's easy to maintain it at a high amount but it requires more effort than just pressing a single button every 30 seconds and ignoring it.

You do understand the meaning of the word figurative right? Or are you someone that will run out into the street and yell in anger about how there aren't any cats or dogs falling from the sky?

P.S. To anger you further, this is like me throwing a ball at a wall. ("You're not throwing anything. There's not even a ball. Now you're making things up")

Lmao. Video or it didn't happen. Post is about what does he do.  You say aim glide with speed frame... no one is remotely anger. Im pointing out the discrepancies in your statements. Plenty players are pointing out the EXACT same flaws with Gauss.

If you used him,  you would know his Battery stays full when you don't use it...

You keep back tracking. You say 100% uptime is bad. Then you say Gauss can get DR 100% uptime. You're not consistent . Plus this is not true.  DR lowers for every hit you take. That's not 100%  You can't effectively play offense while maintaining battery unless you spam cold thermal sunder. Of which you need energy. Melee doesn't build battery. You swing, you losing battery as you take damage which lowers your DR

Make decisions on your builds... that's all of warframe. Who is playing a frame while saying "I dont need energy or abilities ".  Gauss I guess...

 

Edited by (XB1)Phantom Clip
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-09-19 at 11:22 AM, nslay said:

Agreed. I hope DE adds to Gauss' passive:

  • Immunity to slowdown from aiming/shooting.
  • Melee attacks now charge the battery x% (because you have to stop to attack for most melee weapons... thereby not charge the battery!).

They gave 1 of these. Can't wait til it hits xbox.

DE developers listening to players.  They are like M&Ms, they do exist..

Thanks DE, I believe this will make it so 41 frames are usable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with changes he's only useful against grineer and corrupted really.

He's especially great for the plains now. Slash won't have full effect on him so he really has an easier time to survive. And redline is actually really good now. It's worth using since you can easily get about 30sec of god mod.

When it comes to the other factions... I wouldn't use him. He still takes full dmg from the other dmg types and that is a pretty big problem against the amalgams and Valllis enemies as well as Some of the infested units. 

Maybe some ppl will find ways to work around these weaknesses and can make Gauss useful against those enemies but until then I will stick to the other CC tanks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He seems fine..I took him into arbitrations for an hour and he just cleaned house...no forma...a Fulmin no riven...Just bullrush and shoot the enemy in the tender vittles while lying on the ground...He's basically Wukong's iron Jab given form and glorious fury...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Le 19/09/2019 à 11:53, (XB1)Phantom Clip a dit :

Not really seeing a use for him beyond star chart and low level enemies.

This is 95% of the game so it looks pretty fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

Even with changes he's only useful against grineer and corrupted really.

He's especially great for the plains now. Slash won't have full effect on him so he really has an easier time to survive. And redline is actually really good now. It's worth using since you can easily get about 30sec of god mod.

When it comes to the other factions... I wouldn't use him. He still takes full dmg from the other dmg types and that is a pretty big problem against the amalgams and Valllis enemies as well as Some of the infested units. 

Maybe some ppl will find ways to work around these weaknesses and can make Gauss useful against those enemies but until then I will stick to the other CC tanks.

To be fair he wouldnt be the first frame to only be useful vs certain factions. Hildyrn/mag are pretty weak in infested missions, and useful but less so vs grineer for instance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion just another stupidly thought out and poorly designed warframe that is ranked up and put away never to be used again 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

Even with changes he's only useful against grineer and corrupted really.

He's especially great for the plains now. Slash won't have full effect on him so he really has an easier time to survive. And redline is actually really good now. It's worth using since you can easily get about 30sec of god mod.

When it comes to the other factions... I wouldn't use him. He still takes full dmg from the other dmg types and that is a pretty big problem against the amalgams and Valllis enemies as well as Some of the infested units. 

Maybe some ppl will find ways to work around these weaknesses and can make Gauss useful against those enemies but until then I will stick to the other CC tanks.

Honestly I'm not sure that the DR only applies to the stated damage types. Did some testing in sim versus level 140 lanka corpus units. Without #2 active he got 1-shot, with 80% #2 (max at the time due to formaing him) it required 2 shots. Will test more when I get him to max again, but so far it seems that the listed damage types are the ones that help refill his energy and not the only damage types he has protection against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Honestly I'm not sure that the DR only applies to the stated damage types. Did some testing in sim versus level 140 lanka corpus units. Without #2 active he got 1-shot, with 80% #2 (max at the time due to formaing him) it required 2 shots. Will test more when I get him to max again, but so far it seems that the listed damage types are the ones that help refill his energy and not the only damage types he has protection against.

Unfortunately it only applies to those.

The Terra Sniper Crewman deals magnetic damage and it oneshot me on 100% redline with kinetic plating active.

I should add that it shot me down while I was sprinting in MachRush so moving didn't help much to survive.

Zealots also one shot me at 100% redline at lvl 40.

Edited by JackHargreav
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Unfortunately it only applies to those.

The Terra Sniper Crewman deals magnetic damage and it oneshot me on 100% redline with kinetic plating active.

I should add that it shot me down while I was sprinting in MachRush so moving didn't help much to survive.

Zealots also one shot me at 100% redline at lvl 40.

Redline doesnt matter though. You might have been sub 100% regular battery, because only that part of the battery mechanic has any impact on damage reduction. The redline counter has its own special benefits that depends on the redline percentage. Like bonus melee damage and how the cold, fire and blast procs work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Redline doesnt matter though. You might have been sub 100% regular battery, because only that part of the battery mechanic has any impact on damage reduction. The redline counter has its own special benefits that depends on the redline percentage. Like bonus melee damage and how the cold, fire and blast procs work.

As far as I understand 100% redline combined with kinetic plating gives 100% Dr. I also had Adaptation on to give him more defense. But it didn't matter much.

But anyways I just logged out and I'm sure that DR does not apply to other dmg types. Inaros, (Hildryn kinda), Gara, Chroma does the tanking much better. I'm not gonna mention Nyx because she becomes extremely slow with Absorb.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

As far as I understand 100% redline combined with kinetic plating gives 100% Dr. I also had Adaptation on to give him more defense. But it didn't matter much.

But anyways I just logged out and I'm sure that DR does not apply to other dmg types. Inaros, (Hildryn kinda), Gara, Chroma does the tanking much better. I'm not gonna mention Nyx because she becomes extremely slow with Absorb.

It's not 100% Redline that makes the difference, but 100% battery charge (outside of redline the battery is capped at 80%).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corvid said:

It's not 100% Redline that makes the difference, but 100% battery charge (outside of redline the battery is capped at 80%).

Just to make sure. Are you saying that overcharging the battery to 100 doesn't matter or you saying that 100% battery which is only 80 % battery doesn't matter.

Because I overloaded the battery to 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

Just to make sure. Are you saying that overcharging the battery to 100 doesn't matter or you saying that 100% battery which is only 80 % battery doesn't matter.

Because I overloaded the battery to 100%.

Overcharging doesnt matter for DR. Only the redline buff matters in order to let you reach 100% normal battery instead of the 80% baseline cap for Kinetic Plating, which results in 100% DR instead of 84% DR at 100% power strength. The gauge that redline adds is simply a tracker regarding how many projectiles redline spits out and how much battery you will have left when redline expires etc. When you take damage your regular battery level will decrease but your redline meter will stay and increase aslong as your normal battery level doesnt drop below 80%, at which point the redline gauge starts to degenerate aswell.

So you can sit with 100% overcharge but still be below the DR cap due to having your battery under 100% normal charge because of incoming damage or other sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Overcharging doesnt matter for DR. Only the redline buff matters in order to let you reach 100% normal battery instead of the 80% baseline cap for Kinetic Plating, which results in 100% DR instead of 84% DR at 100% power strength. The gauge that redline adds is simply a tracker regarding how many projectiles redline spits out and how much battery you will have left when redline expires etc. When you take damage your regular battery level will decrease but your redline meter will stay and increase aslong as your normal battery level doesnt drop below 80%, at which point the redline gauge starts to degenerate aswell.

So you can sit with 100% overcharge but still be below the DR cap due to having your battery under 100% normal charge because of incoming damage or other sources.

100% Overcharge actually prevents your battery meter from dropping for the rest of Redline's duration. Unsure if it puts you at full or just prevents it from dropping but you will hit a full battery regardless so 100% overcharge functionally means 100% damage reduction.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

100% Overcharge actually prevents your battery meter from dropping for the rest of Redline's duration. Unsure if it puts you at full or just prevents it from dropping but you will hit a full battery regardless so 100% overcharge functionally means 100% damage reduction.

I'm not sure that it applies to the drain that comes from damage taken, it seems to only apply to drain/sec from 2 and 4 aswell as the battery cost of the heat version of 3. Though I may very well be wrong about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed that the redline on meter represents 100% battery charge. Going over that meter meant you had over 100% battery. An overcharge. 

Is this not correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

I assumed that the redline on meter represents 100% battery charge. Going over that meter meant you had over 100% battery. An overcharge. 

Is this not correct? 

The redline represents the 100% mark, but anything above that is a seperate meter that doesnt decrease unless your normal battery level drops below 80%. When redline hits 100% all your battery costs on skill are removed (aside from possibly damage taken while #2 is active). Redline's power % also indicates how much regular battery you will be left with when redline ends. If you have 20% redline when it ends your regular battery level will be drained down to 20% aswell, if you have 100% when it ends your battery will stay at 100% aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...