Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I use 40 frames just fine. But what does Gauss do?

(XBOX)Phantom Clip

43 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

The redline represents the 100% mark, but anything above that is a seperate meter that doesnt decrease unless your normal battery level drops below 80%. When redline hits 100% all your battery costs on skill are removed (aside from possibly damage taken while #2 is active). Redline's power % also indicates how much regular battery you will be left with when redline ends. If you have 20% redline when it ends your regular battery level will be drained down to 20% aswell, if you have 100% when it ends your battery will stay at 100% aswell.

Just read the wiki. Says the redline on meter is only 80% battery. The separate Redline meter needs to be filled for 100% battery. When Redline ability is activated , it drains battery per second. Battery cost is only removed while at 100% Redline which last for like 1sec.

I read so many people claim that he can have 100% DR to many damage types for 30seconds or more. How is that possible when the battery drains per second while Redline is active AND Kinetic plating drains battery per hit taken? You need 100% battery for 100% damage reduction? How do you keep battery at 100% every second while actively fighting?

Im just asking because I don't know. Would like to find out. 

1 minute ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Just read the wiki. Says the redline on meter is only 80% battery. The separate Redline meter needs to be filled for 100% battery. When Redline ability is activated , it drains battery per second. Battery cost is only removed while at 100% Redline which last for like 1sec.

I read so many people claim that he can have 100% DR to many damage types for 30seconds or more. How is that possible when the battery drains per second while Redline is active AND Kinetic plating drains battery per hit taken? You need 100% battery for 100% damage reduction? How do you keep battery at 100% every second while actively fighting?

They balanced it out so the drain is much much less. From one mach rush you get back what you lost usually. Redline right now is easy to charge up if you use either mach rush a few times or use his 3rd ability.

Once you reached 100% (overcharged 100%) with redline the battery will not drain for the duration that's left. Also while you sprint the battery shouldn't drain at all.

Also It's a dr against only a few dmg types cold,fire, explosion and physical dmg. Everything else deals full dmg. 

19 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

So they removed the battery drain when you stack Redline's ability bonus to 100% ?

There was never a battery drain at 100% to begin with.

Redline's changes was both lower drain and lower duration to hit 100%. It used to drain about the same pace as you were sprinting and it would take about 60% of the duration on full battery to hit 100%. The drain has been lowered so much that you don't even need to sprint to build the battery beyond the 80% mark on Redline and it takes only about 40% of the duration to hit 100%. You have to almost have to actively attempt to fail to not hit 100% now.

Edited by RX-3DR
  • Like 1

Just now, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

When redline is activated the battery unlocks the last 20%, so you have 0-100% battery and 0-100% redline.

Once you hit 100% redline all battery drain costs will be removed. During the process of getting to 100% redline you just need to make sure to keep moving or hitting things in melee with his #2 active in order to sustain battery. Aslong as the regular battery is over 80% your redline overcharge will fill over time. The easiest solution to fill the redline to 100% is to mach rush after activating redline, that fills the meter quickly.

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

They balanced it out so the drain is much much less. From one mach rush you get back what you lost usually. Redline right now is easy to charge up if you use either mach rush a few times or use his 3rd ability.

Once you reached 100% (overcharged 100%) with redline the battery will not drain for the duration that's left. Also while you sprint the battery shouldn't drain at all.

Also It's a dr against only a few dmg types cold,fire, explosion and physical dmg. Everything else deals full dmg. 

Oooohhhhh. Got it.

I never ran around long enough to build the bonus to 100%. Everyone was already dead before I even hit 60%. 

Nice to know. Maybe I'll forma and potato him when update comes to console. 

On 2019-09-19 at 4:53 AM, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Not really seeing a use for him beyond star chart and low level enemies. I think Wisp is a better Gauss. Her motes are 1 skill and seem to mimic alot of his ability kit.

His 1st hard to use.  Run into enemies does nothing.  And running into wall is dumb.  As if enemies just stand by the water cooler. .

Damage reduction from his 2nd is based on battery level. But any 1 hit will drain the battery. Seriously? Then it's not just a little but like 5% for each hit. With Redline active you get melee damage boost. But you can't stay in melee range long enough to do much without draining the battery like crazy. 

I tried 100% status weapons with cold to proc his 3rd's freeze and blast. Then I tried the boost from Redline. It's ok but 15m not enough range. If I add more range, then it's not enough damage. 

His 4th doesn't deal much damage. The boost effects help some. Not much. 

I'm asking in what part of the game, what mission is he useful? Where does he shine? Free roam only? Infested only?

I like him on starchart missions. I'm just not seeing how I'm really meant to utilize his abilities. 

As one who has always had an affinity for speed, I was so hyped for him -- very impatient even. Once he released, I found myself letting him gather dust because he just doesn't do anything. Even after the buffs (I'm console and haven't felt the buffs, but I can easily get a very educated idea based on the detailed description of them), he's just useless. Let me first start off by stating he isn't even the fastest frame in the game. He's not the second fasted. He's the FOURTH. That's a fail if anything. Not just that, but his battery is hell to manage. And I'm not talking about normal batter, but I'm talking about Redline. Their buffs only added more ways to boost his battery and nerfed the ways that drain it. Sounds good, right? Not. The issues that are plaguing him were ignored. The first, and most major issue is how he does next to nothing outside of Redline. Okay, he requires an ability active at all times to be useful, right? That's awful, but we can work around it, can't we? No, we can't. His Redline STILL takes longer to max with more duration, meaning that you are going to have approximately 20-30 seconds in a pure Redline focused build of actual usefulness. It takes a minute or more to get to back to that point. Meaning, over 50% of the time, Gauss is actual garbage. And like you said, he requires constant movement, and I mean ALL THE DANG TIME. You cannot take advantage of his melee boost, and you are ALWAYS going to have issues aiming. All of that for 20-30 seconds of usefulness per couple minutes. His 3rd still drains too much battery, negating it's own usefulness, ramming down enemies at apparently mach speed (even though Saryn and Rhino are faster) does literally nothing. His collision detection for wall slamming is extrememely weak and very accurate, which is a bad thing since you won't be running perfectly perpendicular into walls 90% of the time, his need for constant movement, while awesome in theory, makes it extremely hard to do attack enemies, even his 3rd requires you to stop using his 1st, which shouldn't be the case gameplay-wise. The boosted effects of his 4th are not very useful or noticeable impactful to gameplay -- and getting to those buffs are awful and they don't last long at all. He's like Ember: Everything he does -- even speed -- other frames do better, and he takes so god damn loads of effort to get such a short time of minial payoff. And he is useless without that payoff. It's a real shame. It really is, and these buffs won't change anything.

3 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

So are you saying his Redline is easy to max overcharge? Or are you saying it's easy to get to 100% battery to activate Redline? I've found it always easy to get to 100% to activate Redline, but it takes forever to max overcharge, and you have anywhere between 20-30 seconds, and that's if you completely break from gameplay and ignore everything just to run around for a minute.

I think his biggest issues are his difficulty to max overcharge Redline, and the fact that his entire kit requires you to break from gameplay to get him there. I am always at a point where I can use Redline, but once I do, I immediately have to ignore everything and everyone to just run into S#&$ for a minute+ just to get 20-30 seconds of usefulness, and then rinse and repeat. If I want to build a set for Redline, I should be able to do it and it should work effectively. You have to ignore the game 70% of the time to do that, though.

13 minutes ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

So are you saying his Redline is easy to max overcharge? Or are you saying it's easy to get to 100% battery to activate Redline? I've found it always easy to get to 100% to activate Redline, but it takes forever to max overcharge, and you have anywhere between 20-30 seconds, and that's if you completely break from gameplay and ignore everything just to run around for a minute.

Just spam Mach and tap #3 on crowds of enemies to fill out redline. It is much easier on PC atm though due to the latest changes.

On 2019-09-19 at 5:34 AM, kyori said:

Welcome to the age of micro-management frame.

And this is his issue. Also, he requires you run away from the fight, not towards it. Everybody's stating how to get to 100% redline, but they ignore the fact that it takes absurdly long to get such a small and short payoff. Plus the fact that you are busy micromanaging everything he has and not paying attention to gameplay, and I've never been one to complain about micromanaging a WF. I like a good amount of thinking behind a frames gameplay, but you don't even get to play the game with how much management he requires. I have 213% duration and 60% efficiency with 2.10 sprint speed, and he is still hell to manage. 121% range as well for his 3rd. If Redline's overcharge didn't inversely scale with duration, he'd be soooooooo much better.

14 minutes ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

I1m saying it's easy to reach the real100%. The one that Redline provides. I usually have 30 secs of 100% left. They fixed it so Gauss builds up battery much much faster.

I usually Mach Rush 2-3 times and sometimes I cast the 3rd. And that is enough to get you to maximum overcharge.

1 minute ago, JackHargreav said:

I1m saying it's easy to reach the real100%. The one that Redline provides. I usually have 30 secs of 100% left. They fixed it so Gauss builds up battery much much faster.

I usually Mach Rush 2-3 times and sometimes I cast the 3rd. And that is enough to get you to maximum overcharge.

Wow, how long do you Mach Rush for?

5 minutes ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Thanks, I'll try once it hits console. How much duration do you have and how long is your Redline maxed for?

Enough duration for 1min long kinetic plating and redline. Need to check back on my maxed redline uptime when I get Gauss back to max level again.

43 minutes ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Wow, how long do you Mach Rush for?

39 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Just a quick dash or two to get the bar up, then keep moving for the remainder. At least, that's how I do it.

Same with me. Just dash a few times and that's enough.

All the complaints about Redline make me think that people forget its real use: very fast fire-rate and reload times, and buffed abilities. The 100% isn't the point of Redline, it's merely a bonus, not the goal. The real point of Redline is shooting 100 bullets a second and reloading in half a second, and being able to freeze/burn a group of enemies instantly with a tap. You don't need 100% to do that.

Edited by (NSW)ToadBlue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

If Redline's overcharge didn't inversely scale with duration, he'd be soooooooo much better.

If the overcharge didn't scale, Redline would be penalizing you for having low duration. In its current state, low duration Redline is as functional as a high duration Redline and the trade up is a faster charge vs a more consistent overcharge duration. But as @(NSW)ToadBlue mentioned though, hitting 100% is not a requirement.

13 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

If the overcharge didn't scale, Redline would be penalizing you for having low duration. In its current state, low duration Redline is as functional as a high duration Redline and the trade up is a faster charge vs a more consistent overcharge duration. But as @(NSW)ToadBlue mentioned though, hitting 100% is not a requirement.

Penalize due to how DE built the ability.  It could easily be a flat percentage gain. Redline could charge up at the same speed regardless of duration.