Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Bingham the Explorer

CephalonZed

"Salutations, Tenno. There is a quandry that you are in a unique position to solve. Since the Narmer, the Unum has been... distant. Distracted. She calls a name to the stars. This name, as ancient as she. When next you return to Cetus, speak to Konzu. Query him on the 'Mapmaker'. Dah-dap." 

- Quill Onkko

"Swazdo-lah, Tenno! What's the hurry, eh? 'Mapmaker'? Who told you of this name? Ai yo, let's see... many generations ago, with the fall of the Empire, the Ostron were taught how to navigate the ever-changing Unum by a lone explorer. In hindsight, it only made sense he knew how to navigate the Orokin Tower-- after all, the Mapmaker was of Orokin make himself. A Warframe. He is ancient history, of course, long gone. Then again, the Mapmaker was never one for leaving ancient history to rest. Hok can tell you more."

- Elder Konzu

"Mapmaker"? Ha! Hok laughs at the name. Hok's great-grandfather worked alongside this Warframe, mending their many injuries when they were inflicted. He lived under our roof-- he was family, not some musty antique for Pedlek knock over and shatt-- wait, why do you ask? 

They're out there? Alive? Ha ha! It only goes to show, the explorer's spirit never dies! Come, come, let us find them together. A happy reunion! It will be an adventure! PEDLEK! Fetch my bags! It is time for an expedition!

- Hok, Zawsmith

bingbingbong.jpg

Since this frame's original inception in 2019, Warframe has been through a lot of changes in balance. Despite that, Blast still remains very niche (outside of specific Archon Shard builds) and thus this Blast-centric frame came into being... again. Re-being? Reborn. The concept was reborn. Strangely enough, I had completed this before the community even saw the coalescent shards, but my procrastination inadvertently made it a timely reintroduction. The signature shotgun, Auxxen, has been deprecated for the sole reason of "I can't find a single thing about it on my computer". 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The original 2019 Phospheros image needed no revisions, so here it is.)

Phospheros1.png

An Orokin lighting source converted into a whip with heavy Blast potential, Phospheros is designed for both crowd control and status infliction. Spin attacks release oil spills, heavy attacks set connected oil spills alight. Ignited oil spills do heavy attack damage in Blast to all targets within the area. Maximum of 5 spills at once.

Two 2019 variants of the Abilities are below. Much of the original post's embeds were dysfunctional, and thus could not be saved.

Spoiler
Bingham_3.pngimage0.png

Edited by CephalonZed
Complete overhaul after 4 years.
  • Like 1

As far as visual are concerned I'm digging the British explorer motife going on. I love the moustache , but I find the lack of monocle disturbing.

Now on the kit. You need to polish it a lot. First you rely too much on what I call synergy DE TM. I think DE mislables combos as synergy. The first " synergy " frame nidus gets it right. You can use his 1 for damage, you can use his 2 to group up enemies. You can use his 2 to group enemies up for his 1. The best example of synergy DE TM frame is Oberon , his 3 gives an armor buff if he was standing on 2 while casting. His 4 only armor strips is the enemy was standing on his 2. The synergy is ability combos , and sometimes the best aspects if the skill are locked behind these combos.

I have an idea.for an alternatice kit based on using a new skill called explorer tools : map ; shovel and settle charge ( all are part of his new one ) to find the pieces of a treasure. If he finds enought pieces he can assemble a legendary artifact ( his ultimate). 

The legendary artifacts are

Pharao Ank- if killed the player revives with temporally boosted stats.

Medusa mask - old atlas petrify but the player can use his hands freely.

Viracocha Idol - place the Idol on the ground and the Idol will periodically bless nearby allies.

If you got interested let me know.

2 hours ago, keikogi said:

I have an idea.for an alternatice kit based on using a new skill called explorer tools : map ; shovel and settle charge ( all are part of his new one ) to find the pieces of a treasure. If he finds enought pieces he can assemble a legendary artifact ( his ultimate). 

I would have loved to do more along the lines of this. However-- my first and foremost thought was that the abilities should be balanced for the Conclave-- or, at least, not necessarily un-fun to play against. Bingham is an explorer, and brings the goods of his scavenging as buffs for his team. Finding a Temple? Makeshift defensive position. Treasure? Ammunition to last longer in defense missions, or in a defensive spot. Although Conclave adjusts the abilities already present in a PvE Frame, I figured since the frames present in the game are fairly limited, I shouldn't go outside of the boundaries set by DE. 

However, I guess I can create a new variant of the abilities that disregard the Conclave in favor of more gameplay elements. I will adjust the post accordingly once this is done. 

4 hours ago, CephalonZed said:

I would have loved to do more along the lines of this. However-- my first and foremost thought was that the abilities should be balanced for the Conclave-- or, at least, not necessarily un-fun to play against. Bingham is an explorer, and brings the goods of his scavenging as buffs for his team. Finding a Temple? Makeshift defensive position. Treasure? Ammunition to last longer in defense missions, or in a defensive spot. Although Conclave adjusts the abilities already present in a PvE Frame, I figured since the frames present in the game are fairly limited, I shouldn't go outside of the boundaries set by DE. 

However, I guess I can create a new variant of the abilities that disregard the Conclave in favor of more gameplay elements. I will adjust the post accordingly once this is done. 

First time I've seen someone concerned with THE COMCLAVE. It is valid concern.

Since you liked the idea I will come up with full kit with somewhat fleshed out mechanics. Feel free to use the kit or any parts of it.

Edited by keikogi

• 3 weeks later...

Bingham's signature ranged weapon has now been decided upon: Auxxen! ("Ooh, it's a shotgun Sybaris." Haha. I've heard that tons.)

((I don't draw realistic guns. Then again, DE doesn't make any either.))

Auxxen.png

Based heavily off of a Frankenstein combination of Winchester and Redhead shotguns, Auxxen should provide adequate protection for any adventurer of the star system. If Tigris is a strong Slash-centric shotgun, Auxxen is an Impact bull (Auxxen = Oxen. Get it?). Combined with Bingham's passive, Auxxen should perform well at both close and medium ranges. Ideally, Auxxen would be a Crit-leaning shotgun with a moderate ammo capacity, but, like Tigris, lessened ammo economy. 

9 hours ago, Deadfire182 said:

I just want to say that I really like what you've done here, and the weapon is really cool as well! I'm sort of seeing this as a support/buffing frame.

Thank you very much, Deadfire182! Your kind words on both my concept and weapon are comforting. And yes-- Bingham is certainly designed to be a supportive frame, meant to provide additional defensive firepower at any position. 

This concept is an evolving one, meaning that I will add more when the mood strikes me. Currently I'm pondering if the next step should be a secondary/melee weapon, or further embellishment of the lore stated in the center of the concept. Bingham is a pet project of mine, and all the feedback and comments I can get on him are wonderful to read and learn from.

Bingham's signature melee weapon has been decided upon: Phospheros!

(Everyone said that an adventurer with a whip or machete was too cliche, so I naturally took in the feedback and made a whip anyway.)

Phospheros1.png

An Orokin lighting source converted into a whip with heavy Blast potential, Phospheros is designed for both crowd control and status infliction. Dealing innate Heat Damage, Phospheros discharges flammable liquid on spin attacks which are ignited by slam attacks, dealing 3x the weapon's damage in the affected area along with a guaranteed Blast proc. The size of the oil spills is affected by Melee Range, and the damage can be altered with critical or status duration-enhancing mods. 

20 minutes ago, CephalonZed said:

Bingham's signature melee weapon has been decided upon: Phospheros!

(Everyone said that an adventurer with a whip or machete was too cliche, so I naturally took in the feedback and made a whip anyway.)

To be fair this is the first whip torch I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, MuscleBeach said:

Just a Balance criticism.

25m base distance and 2.5 second knockdown at 25m. Would be OP CC and also annoying at the same time as usually we want things like a fast nova. 

I like the concept, we could use a frame of this style. 

Thanks for the feedback, Muscle! 

I would agree. Without limitation to the explosive ability, Phospheros could easily become a very overpowered CC weapon. Knock-downs, and hence Blast procs, are essential for Bingham playing, so most of his kit enables and grofits from their presence-- much to Nova players' dismay. Perhaps locking it to only one pool of gasoline at a time would suffice as a compromise? 

Also, thank you for those kind words on my frame's style! As I've said in a prior post, Bingham's a pet project of mine, and that sort of encouragement gives me motivation to keep polishing the stone. 

I'm also working on creating a 3D model of the head for those who are interested.

Edited by CephalonZed

1 hour ago, CephalonZed said:

Knock-downs, and hence Blast procs, are essential for Bingham playing

15% more damage isn't that big of a deal. That's 1 tick on serration I believe. If it's suppose to be 15% for each knocked down enemy with a certain range, that's a different story. But a singular 15% is nothing. You can reduce pretty much every weapon's damage by that much and all of warframe would still feel the same. 

1 hour ago, CephalonZed said:

Perhaps locking it to only one pool of gasoline at a time would suffice as a compromise? 

I'm at work so I kind of hastily read some of this and skipped the weapons as I didn't think they were required for your warframe. Don't make specific weapons required for your warframe unless they're going to be exalted. 

I guess it's not really OP. My Mag can do similar with her Pull ability, but only in one direction. I still think the range is too high though. 50m knockdown that I can spam with 200% range which is easily achieved without much sacrifice. I would make the range 15-18m which is still pretty big. 

Also, your 4 is basically the same as Atlas's 2, Tectonics. It's possibly the worst ability in the game. Sorry for the harsh words on that one but it's true. I don't really know how to save this ability. Maybe make something Oil based so you don't have to have it on the weapon or make an exalted weapon. 

I know you're looking for an Indiana Jones type of thing but narrow your focus down a bit. Do you want a loot crate theme where you're dropping resources and bombs or do you want an oil spill thing with more of a zone control play style or do you want a bomber type of warframe, or do you want a dare devil warframe themed around knocking people down? Fit some but not all of it. If every ability is its own theme, there won't actually be any synergy. It'll be 4 random abilities that do 4 random, hopefully useful, abilities. 

Thank you once again for your reply-- feedback and criticism are always welcome! 

56 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

Don't make specific weapons required for your warframe unless they're going to be exalted. 

I don't mean for these weapons to be built exclusively for Bingham. The Auxxen is a general weapon, and has minimal connection to Bingham's skills other than the drastically reduced damage falloff that comes with his passive-- which, in turn, is supposed to make all weapons with falloff more reliable in his hands.

I still think the range is too high though. 50m knockdown that I can spam with 200% range which is easily achieved without much sacrifice. I would make the range 15-18m which is still pretty big. 

Phospheros, on the other hand, certainly was designed with Bingham and hence Blast procs in mind, and I can see why you could be concerned about the range of the gasoline. Considering that whips have the largest spin attack range out of any weapon, I can understand it wholeheartedly. It should be noted that it was not designed to deal massive damage or take any sort of battlefield control-- I only gave it such a trait so that Blast procs can be inflicted in a reliable manner. It acts as a Primer for his passive, which, compared to the damage falloff portion of his passive, is intentionally minor at 15%. Even at maximum attack range, Phospheros could at most cover a defense objective, possibly more with a proper Riven. That action is only meant as a primer for small groups, and by no means could ever be some sort of CC monster

Also, your 4 is basically the same as Atlas's 2, Tectonics. It's possibly the worst ability in the game.

Yes, I've received this note quite a bit from my time workshopping Bingham. Once again, it's an understandable concern, but for the sake of the frame, I'd not be willing to sacrifice something as iconic as the Indiana Jones boulder escape in favor of some sort of exalted weapon or high end ability. The escape is the key word here, as it's designed as both a fire-and-forget ability and an active damage roller. His 4 could require him to run ahead of the boulder in order to achieve a large damage bonus (30% for every 5m travelled)-- and, considering the boulder operates with melee mods (much like Atlas' 1), opens the possibility for fun builds and activities.

If every ability is its own theme, there won't actually be any synergy.

Every ability listed sticks to the stereotypes and implications that would lie with an Indiana Jones-esque frame. Setting up a campsite? Wanton destruction? Being chased by a boulder? Supplies for the team? This may be a unique perspective, but I think everyone should have the opportunity to mod their frames how they see fit and find enjoyable-- each of the abilities should be fun and effective. If you want to mod Bingham for his 2, you should emphasize Power Strength and Duration and minimize Range. If you want to toss Detonite charges all over the tileset, you can build for Power Efficiency and Strength, and prime enemies with his 2 before spamming his 1. Every choice that you make in modifying Bingham will inevitably harm other aspects of his kit-- but that's just the way that your particular robotic adventurer is. 

I think that unifying his abilities to make any one aspect of his abilities dominant and meta (Strength, Range, Efficiency, Duration) defeats the purpose of the frame that I envision. All of his abilities are viable in their own ways, and can be built to be stronger or more specialized depending on the player's choice. When people play Bingham, I want them to enjoy the way they've built him and, in turn, enjoy playing support. 

Thank you for the reply, and I hope to talk with you more about Bingham in the future. Tally-ho!

Edited by CephalonZed

4 hours ago, MuscleBeach said:

Just a Balance criticism.

25m base distance and 2.5 second knockdown at 25m. Would be OP CC and also annoying at the same time as usually we want things like a fast nova. 

I like the concept, we could use a frame of this style. 

Oh, and I just realized that this was talking about the Detonite Charge ability. I'm rather sorry, but that range actually says 2.5m radius, so 5m in diameter. I know it's difficult to read with the filter, but I hope this clears things up! 

10 hours ago, CephalonZed said:

Oh, and I just realized that this was talking about the Detonite Charge ability. I'm rather sorry, but that range actually says 2.5m radius, so 5m in diameter. I know it's difficult to read with the filter, but I hope this clears things up! 

Oh, wow, I take it all back. Buff that range back up!!! Haha. 2.5m is tiny, that's basically melee range but with a dagger. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to preface this next post with a caution: I am not a modeler nor an illustrator of a reasonable regard, rather a writer-- but, I have such interest in Bingham that I went out of my comfort zone and attempted to model a concept in a 3D modelling application. Below are two versions of the concept, one with eyes and the other without. Once again, I'd like to clarify: not a modeller or a texture artist by any means, despite my lofty goals of learning how to properly use the tools to create Tennogen. 

Spoiler

Bing1m.png

Spoiler

Bing2m.png

Edited by CephalonZed

Bingham.png

I have gone through and have re-created old concept art that I had for Bingham-- I'm overall very happy with the results! Credit to StickWilde on Deviantart for the realistic humanoid base I could use. 

I also updated the visuals and information on the main topic of the post including this image. Now his 4 shouldn't be an Atlas ripoff! 

Edited by CephalonZed

I guess I'm Nekros because this thread just got revived from the dead. That's right-- four years later, this frame concept has gotten a major makeover. The abilities are less Indiana Jones now and more "Stereotypical safari-adjacent adventure movie from the 1950's". You know the types, with pith helmets and big mustaches. Jumanji had a parody of them? So did Moon Knight?
Tomb_Buster.pngdad67a1e67f2da8973c71fd41f57be81.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbRl4VGkn0g8pjEzCT0hj

Included are adjustments to abilities, appearance, lore, and signature weapon. The Auxxen (Bingham's original signature weapon) and all its files are nowhere to be found on my computer, so I have to start over with that. 

Tally-ho, Tenno!