Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Update 1.0 Sucks and Should Be Trashed

(XBOX)HoneyxBadger113

Now that the Melee 1.0 Update has been out for a year, I can give my fullest opinion on it. The update, without a doubt, absolutely, and I can't stress this enough, SUCKS. 

Here is a list of reasons why it is bad for a player's experience, regardless of if it's their first time, or if they were around since the Beta. This is in order from most to least importance:

1. To quote the Prequels: "You have become the very thing you swore to destroy." When the update first came out, auto-block was advertised to "keep combos going/allow players to keep there attack combos without pausing." Yet, in literally EVERY ENEMY ENCOUNTER since then, my Warframe has done nothing but auto-block in in the middle of my combos. Thus, ruining them. If you're like me, this is a HUGE immersion breaker, as now you can't fight. This alone made me cringe at combat. Furthermore, if you have a mod that requires you to get knocked down to damage enemies, the auto-blocking completely negates that, rendering the mod useless. But that's ok, because auto-block DOESN'T EVEN WORK HALF THE TIME. I have literally stood in enemy crossfire to experiment with this, and only after losing a significant portion of health did my Warframe decide to use their melee weapon to block enemy fire, and much more poorly than how they did BEFORE the update, back when blocking was manual.

2. With these features, I don't really feel like I'm playing the game anymore, and in a bad way. I feel restricted, unable to be free to BE. Restriction is not only unimpressive, but also a joy kill. I loved the time before the update where I could lose myself in the game; where my Frame and I became one. I don't have that experience anymore thanks to the Melee 1.0 Update.

3. Thanks to the update, I can no longer defend myself while using a scanner. I have to put it away, and THEN attack, even the melee weapons. That's immersion-breaking, and hinders my game-play.  ESPECIALLY if the enemies are a higher difficulty than I can handle.

Aesthetics:

4. This one is also a functionality qualm, but not by much. Thanks to the update, players are no longer allowed to use their Channeling/Focus technique. For those that don't remember, or had the pleasure of knowing, channeling allowed you to use your energy in a unique and different way than just your abilities. What would happen was, when activated, it would give a boost to your Frame's speed, strength, and agility. Your energy would drain over time, and this feature could be activated at any time so long as you had energy. As a bonus, your Warframe had electricity all over your body, all along your tertiary-colored areas of your Frame. It looked really cool, both functionally, and visually.

5. I don't know if I'm stupid or something, but I'm no longer able to throw shields thanks to this update. I distinctly remember being able to throw my shield like Captain America, and it sucks that I can't do that anymore.

6. This is the least important part of the argument, but this is still important. The Melee 1.0 Update ruined sword drawing. I loved manually switching to my sword in game, or in captura. It was a nice, smooth animation, and looked bad@$$. I'm upset now because in order to bring a melee weapon out, you now have to swing. That's lame because not only does that not look impressive or awe inspiring, but it ruins something else that I will mention later. It also just invalidates the alternate sword drawing animations implemented in the game, which doesn't make sense. If the endgame was to not have drawing animations save for the initial swing, why even make the animations? You're working backwards.

Conclusion:

If you couldn't tell, I'm so adamant about this not only because my game-play experience is forever ruined for this once great game, but because all of the machinima potential for this is flushed down the toilet. i'm an aspiring machinima creator, and fell in love with how cool a story of this game could be, if the right updates came along. Since first playing, I fell in love, and could only think of playing Warframe. This update killed that love. Yes, I'm back at it, but a lot less enthusiastic, and desperately trying to hold on to that hope that things will turn around, and it seems like they aren't, but I'm not giving up. 

If you're like me, and would like a better game experience back, I implore you to share this however you can. DE, if you are reading this, please bring back the old game play. If you truly love Warframe, i have some propositions to make things better:

1. Get rid of this update completely. I literally saw no "smoother melee" when making the comparison, and as I said, auto-block is ruining things.

2. Keep the update, but only use it for fisticuff-like weapons (the punching/kicking ones). Realistically, if you're wearing something to help you punch, you should be able to just instantly put up your shooter and start wailing on people. Otherwise, if you have a sword, hammer, staff, etc., you should have to draw it out.  You could choose how shields would work.  I feel like this would be the second most well-received update.

3. This would probably the most well-received of the suggestions: Make a new section in the options menu for toggling this specific melee. Give it three categories-Sword, Shield, and Fist. "Sword" encompasses all melee weapons that aren't shields or involve punching. Shields are obviously shields, and Fists involve everything else. There will be a toggle option-Alt On and Alt Off. "Alt on" lets you melee the same as it is now: with the Melee 1.0 Update. plain and simple. players would just get to choose which weapons get to do it. Updates to make more specific choices could be made down further along the way.  The other option, "Alt Off," would let players use melee attacks as they did before this awful update.  This would allow players like me to not only become immersed once again, but it would bring back the potential I once saw in this game.

For anyone who read up til now, I appreciate it. If you can get DE to see this, or if your are someone from DE, please bring back the game I once knew. Sure, it was scary, but it was fun and exciting. Now, it's just becoming a shell, and I don't want that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Nothing changed from the first one, so I consider those to be 1.0 still.

Melee 1.0 didn't allow to equip melee separately and only had light and heavy attacks, no combos. Also, melee weapons were weak.

Edited by Xaero
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Now that the Melee 1.0 Update has been out for a year, I can give my fullest opinion on it. The update, without a doubt, absolutely, and I can't stress this enough, SUCKS. 

30 minutes ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Nothing changed from the first one, so I consider those to be 1.0 still.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Melee_1.0

the previous melee before instant melee switch was not melee 1.0 unless you want to go back to 2014(5 years ago).

Edit: this is the melee you meant 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Melee  melee 2.0

we on 2.977777 or w/e melee update steve said as a joke since 3.0 would be the finish product while so far all we got is instant melee switching and them removing melee going thru walls iirc.

we still missing the revamp stats on melee weapons which would include a base range increase to all melee since they nerfing range on mods iirc, the revamp melee combos that make them useful and the super melee mode that would be a ultimate tank/melee damage form.

All of this is not set in stone since its not out yet.

Edited by (XB1)Dex Xean

20 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Yet, in literally EVERY ENEMY ENCOUNTER since then, my Warframe has done nothing but auto-block in in the middle of my combos. Thus, ruining them. If you're like me, this is a HUGE immersion breaker, as now you can't fight.

This must be one of the most never happenediest things of all things that never happened ever.

And I don't know if I'm willing to entertain the following wall of text with reading after that.

--- upd ---

Ok, i've read it.

But that's ok, because auto-block DOESN'T EVEN WORK HALF THE TIME.

They narrowed the blocking angle. You need to actively look towards the enemy you want to block in order for it to work.

Thanks to the update, I can no longer defend myself while using a scanner. I have to put it away, and THEN attack, even the melee weapons.

Melee with the scanner works the same way it does with guns - it automatically switches to a melee weapon when you attack.

This one is also a functionality qualm, but not by much. Thanks to the update, players are no longer allowed to use their Channeling/Focus technique.

It's on secondary attack button now.

I don't know if I'm stupid or something

When in doubt, the answer is 'Yes'

Jokes aside, The only throwable shield is Sigma & Octantis, none of the other ones can be thrown. (Edit: apparently, Crane & Cobra too. The more you know)

Edited by WindigoTG

1 hour ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Here is a list of reasons why it is bad for a player's experience, regardless of if it's their first time, or if they were around since the Beta.

Not sure if you just trolling or XB controls are that bad, but here on PC nothing from your list exists. Except maybe #6. Never have liked weapon swap animations and happy to get rid of them.

• Like 1

On 2019-09-24 at 8:27 AM, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

4. This one is also a functionality qualm, but not by much. Thanks to the update, players are no longer allowed to use their Channeling/Focus technique. For those that don't remember, or had the pleasure of knowing, channeling allowed you to use your energy in a unique and different way than just your abilities. What would happen was, when activated, it would give a boost to your Frame's speed, strength, and agility. Your energy would drain over time, and this feature could be activated at any time so long as you had energy. As a bonus, your Warframe had electricity all over your body, all along your tertiary-colored areas of your Frame. It looked really cool, both functionally, and visually.

You don't know what you're talking about. Channeling system, as you've described it, never existed. And the real channeling system wasn't removed, check controls.

Edited by Xaero
  • Like 2

Also auto block happens only when you are not attacking or you are about to be knocked down it actually blocks it so you do not get knock down that is the biggest reason auto blocks happen mid combo now. So if you think about it you are actually benefiting from the block otherwise you be on the floor where your combo would have stop anyway.

Edited by (XB1)Dex Xean
  • Like 3

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (XB1)HoneyxBadger113:

What would happen was, when activated, it would give a boost to your Frame's speed, strength, and agility. Your energy would drain over time, and this feature could be activated at any time so long as you had energy.

This is is why you don't do drugs.

This system never existet in this was.

Also: the actual channeling system is still in the game, it was just moved to a different button.

P.S.

I'm sure that you have no actual idea what the word immersion means. Please read up on words, before you use them.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (XB1)HoneyxBadger113:

For anyone who read up til now, I appreciate it

Oh no, I apprectiate your work. It certainly made me laugh a lot, this early in the morning.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Neither Channeling nor Focus worked this way. Channeling is actually still in the game and it's largely identical

• Like 1

I don't know about shield throwing (not using shields) and combo braking auto block (never encountered). The idea I'd like to talk about is this:

3 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

3. Thanks to the update, I can no longer defend myself while using a scanner. I have to put it away, and THEN attack, even the melee weapons. That's immersion-breaking, and hinders my game-play.  ESPECIALLY if the enemies are a higher difficulty than I can handle.

In my experience, you can melee when the synthesis scanner is equipped. But not just that, if you've done a melee attack, your primary/secondary gets automatically re-equipped, so if you aim, the scanner is gone. (This is the part making me crazy, I can't believe I have to equip it again and again.) OP, what happens if you melee attack while the scanner equipped?

About channeling: it's still in the game, try remapping your keybinds (the only one stat gets a boost though is your melee damage, but it has been like this since 2.0), the other points are pretty subjective.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

In my experience, you can melee when the synthesis scanner is equipped. But not just that, if you've done a melee attack, your primary/secondary gets automatically re-equipped, so if you aim, the scanner is gone. (This is the part making me crazy, I can't believe I have to equip it again and again.) OP, what happens if you melee attack while the scanner equipped?

Same deal.

After melee'ing and rightclicking, it reverts back to your primary or secondary. It's slightly annoying, but yay for keyboards so the scanner can be keybound.

8 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

The full melee changes haven't been released yet... What you have seen so far amounts to only, at most, half of what they intended.

Granted, I don't see things improving when the rest gets released though as it's akin to multiplying by zero imo.

Ostensibly, it's Sharkwing all over again.

5. I don't know if I'm stupid or something, but I'm no longer able to throw shields thanks to this update. I distinctly remember being able to throw my shield like Captain America, and it sucks that I can't do that anymore.

Throwing is still part of the combo strings for both sword/shield mods tmk. Full strings may be harder to pull off now though with autoblock but I think the Final Harbinger one still works ok last I looked.

9 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

The Melee 1.0 Update ruined sword drawing. I loved manually switching to my sword in game, or in captura. It was a nice, smooth animation, and looked bad@$$. I'm upset now because in order to bring a melee weapon out, you now have to swing. That's lame because not only does that not look impressive or awe inspiring, but it ruins something else that I will mention later. It also just invalidates the alternate sword drawing animations implemented in the game, which doesn't make sense. If the endgame was to not have drawing animations save for the initial swing, why even make the animations? You're working backwards.

What makes this most sad is that all of this came from a (long-held) complaint that melee drawing and weapon switching can be clunky due to holster speeds and they were convinced to try to make combat reminiscent of DMC to liven things up instead.

They could have just tied Holster speed (and a number of things just like it) as an elective Mastery perk instead and resolved the bulk of 3 entirely separate issues at the same time.

Mod glut

Mastery ranks being mostly without value

Qol abilities people want to have/try but don't want to break whole builds to add

If you're like me, and would like a better game experience back, I implore you to share this however you can. DE, if you are reading this, please bring back the old game play. If you truly love Warframe, i have some propositions to make things better:

DE already knows as there have been pages attesting to the same (relevant) issues posted by a great many players already.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FatalPapercut said:

Only thing that really gets to me is that there's no lock for pure melee mode... Lost count of the times I've dropped the databob on mobile defense because aim gliding automatically switches to your primary, then had to backtrack when I reached the console and realized I was empty handed.

Oh so that's why I've been dropping stuff randomly! Once I've lost an almost full coolant canister while flying from one thermia fracture to another, it was a disaster...

vor 2 Stunden schrieb FatalPapercut:

Only thing that really gets to me is that there's no lock for pure melee mode... Lost count of the times I've dropped the databob on mobile defense because aim gliding automatically switches to your primary, then had to backtrack when I reached the console and realized I was empty handed.

Really? That only happened to me only when using operator mode, right after the mode was released. When I switched to this mode the frame dropped whatever it had, but that was fixed long ago. Aim gliding will not force a drop of a canister or a datamass. I am playing on PC and if you are on a console and this is happening I recommend a bug report.