Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

NW Series 2 Ending - An easier time, but not as interesting

Schkrapnel

Howdy forum readers. So, as many of us have seen, Nightwave series 2 has come to a close. While I am grateful that DE learned from (most of) their mistakes with the first Nightwave series (with the super long grinding and no way to catch up if you miss a few weeks), I'm disappointed as this series was not as interesting from a story or gameplay implication standpoint. I enjoyed the final boss battle of this series against the Zealoid Prelate, with the design of the Prelate hearkening back to Dark Sector's design of the Stinger and the somewhat varied gameplay the bossfight offers, but I can't help but notice that the story implications fall short. In Nightwave series 1, towards the end of the series, we got to see Alad V get involved in the story. His involvement in this storyline led into the next coming update, The Jovian Concord. While up to that point the Wolf felt entirely separate to the main events of Warframe, the point when Alad got involved and led into the next update made it feel like this was actually an important part of the dynamic universe of the game. Unfortunately, it would appear that no such thing has been done for series 2. I would have loved to have seen the story of The Emissary somehow lead into Empyrean, even if the update wouldn't come out for a month or two. As it stands, The Emissary is likely to be forgotten as all it really did for the main game was give us a cool glaive and a few cosmetics, rather than a cliffhanger and a reason to keep checking the forums and keeping up with the game. It's obviously still not too late to amend this, but if this is the end of Series 2's story, it will most likely be forgotten.

Feel free to discuss what I said or any of your own ideas!

Thanks for reading,

Schkrapnel

• Like 4

I mean the whole point of nightwave stories was to give the world more broad lore, if everything is still tied to our direct story it kind of fails at that. Nightwave isn't so far as I'm aware meant to directly progress our own stories, just the story of the warframe universe, it only feels small if all events start and end with us, even with the Wolf we get no real conclusion or direct development from him, he visits someone we know but then just disappears without explanation and without elaboration, and I like that direction for an area of the game. Just knowing there's these weird things out there vaguely happening that we don't really known the full deal with, and never will, makes the Warframe world feel more interesting and I don't think that needs more direct connection to us.  

• Like 12

I totally agree, for the first 3 stages of the plot I was absolutely hooked, then the 4th hit and it wasn't baaad but it really felt like it was setting up something grand that just never really came. Then the 5th and final transmission landed today and it was a gigantic blah. 

We already know Arlo is infested they showed us in the last update, I mean not that we didn't know from the beginning but this was the confirmation and then all we get was more of the same. With a no-name boss that's just kinda there to fill space. 

I think I would have swapped around the cinematics, pushed 5 as 4 and vice versa, because 5 gives the implication that something evil is happening and shows you Arlos shoes essentially saying YEAH IT"S ARLO but not actually saying it. Where as 4 is like OMG look he's mutating into a thing, open secret surprise. 

I also would have played Kenga differently, kept him using Arlo for personal gain and being a general D-bag but then getting double crossed when it was revealed that Arlo was actually using him the whole time, At which poiint Arlo would have converted him into the Zeletoid boss we are fighting. Which would have IMO given the boss more significance than just punch random suit guy in the face till dead. 

Tho it isn't like this is the last we see of Arlo or probably Kenga maybe? but that's like 90% of Warframe plotlines this far, something happens a bunch of things are left nebulously up in the air and maybe something ever happens or maybe it doesn't. I mean whatever happened with Tyl Regor? Arguably one of the best characters in Warframe but they just kinda walked away from him. And before someone says "he's dead", we killed Alad V like 5 heccin times and they keep dredging him back up, so I don't wanna hear it. 

So the overall disappointment I feel is because it felt like this was really maybe going somewhere and then instead of doing that it just sorta fizzled out. It really felt to me like a midseason episode of a show and then they just say turn in next season without even really pushing a decent cliffhanger. 

Edited by Oreades
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

I mean the whole point of nightwave stories was to give the world more broad lore, if everything is still tied to our direct story it kind of fails at that. Nightwave isn't so far as I'm aware meant to directly progress our own stories, just the story of the warframe universe, it only feels small if all events start and end with us, even with the Wolf we get no real conclusion or direct development from him, he visits someone we know but then just disappears without explanation and without elaboration, and I like that direction for an area of the game. Just knowing there's these weird things out there vaguely happening that we don't really known the full deal with, and never will, makes the Warframe world feel more interesting and I don't think that needs more direct connection to us.  

Agreed.

Personally, I'm hoping Railjack can expand on this. Imagine discovering that the Wolf rallied the remaining fugitives and his Hijacked amalgams and made some kind of mercenary group you can run into, sometimes as foes, but occasionally as friends if, for example, you came across an Ostron clade market that hired them for protection. Or during infested missions the possibility to run into a newly re-made Arlo trying to rope more people into his infestation cult, since part 5 does imply he was still alive - or rather, got recreated since the Infestation can do that.

Basically, using Railjack to settle these more disparate elements introduced via their stories in nightwave into the world at large.

That being said, I agree with the overall sentiment, but I'm also not really sure how else it could have been ended satisfactorily. The 4th already suggested Arlo died, and Kenga probably joined him. And in a sense, the 5th part wasn't bad per se just... anticlimactic. Like there was a missing part. If this was after, say, another part detailing the panic of civilians in the way of the Derelicts or the big uprising we need to step in to quash, then (with some minor tweaking to match the new setting) I'd be very OK with it as an epilogue. It feels like an 'after the dust settles' scene, what with the whole 'ending on Arlo's shoes' business.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

Can someone please explain the last two to me? I was following the story pretty well for the first 3, but I wasn't quite sure what happened especially on 5. It felt like it was so short and sudden.

Ok, so, in 4 Arlo gets together his congregation. In the visual it's quite small (for some reason, probably performance or something) but it seems canonically it was a large crowd, including some pre-existing Zealots and Kenga. Arlo then basically vomits out a bunch of infection tentacles to turn all those there into infested of the same strain he and the Zealots are - or more likely 'activate' the strain already there from healing it. The idea being that he infected everyone he 'healed' with a latent strain that got them to swear loyalty to him, but remain normal and non-infective so they can go around and convince people to join the cult. Once members got large enough, phase 2 begins - bringing the derelicts to planets to swamp them with infested.

Part 5 is a conclusion, that IMO is pretty rushed (see my previous post). It's basically discussing the above and clarifying that Arlo wasn't ever actually a real person - he was a disguised Infested organism that administered the above 'cure' to spread the infestation in a more insidious manner. It also suggested that the Infestation on Eris is aware of its plan's limited success, and that it may be going for a repeat approach, since Arlo's shoes can be seen in shot, implying he either survived the infection process or more likely, just got recreated by the plague.

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

We still don’t know what ARLO “is” and even the cinematics hint at his story being unfinished by just showing his feet or his sycophantic Cronie’s.

If you ask me, DE is in the beginning phases of setting up the Tennoverse version of The Legion of Doom.

Il y a 3 heures, Schkrapnel a dit :

with the first Nightwave series (with the super long grinding and no way to catch up if you miss a few weeks)

Totally wrong, you could miss half of the challenges to get rank 30.

And yes its less intersting. This is not new anymore, this is not related to the main story and its about the, generally speaking, least interesting faction. So yeah there was not so much potential to pull out a better story.

But still, this season is better with regards to the lore. Cause its not related to the main story. The main story should never be related to temporary event...

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Agreed.

Personally, I'm hoping Railjack can expand on this. Imagine discovering that the Wolf rallied the remaining fugitives and his Hijacked amalgams and made some kind of mercenary group you can run into, sometimes as foes, but occasionally as friends if, for example, you came across an Ostron clade market that hired them for protection. Or during infested missions the possibility to run into a newly re-made Arlo trying to rope more people into his infestation cult, since part 5 does imply he was still alive - or rather, got recreated since the Infestation can do that.

Basically, using Railjack to settle these more disparate elements introduced via their stories in nightwave into the world at large.

That being said, I agree with the overall sentiment, but I'm also not really sure how else it could have been ended satisfactorily. The 4th already suggested Arlo died, and Kenga probably joined him. And in a sense, the 5th part wasn't bad per se just... anticlimactic. Like there was a missing part. If this was after, say, another part detailing the panic of civilians in the way of the Derelicts or the big uprising we need to step in to quash, then (with some minor tweaking to match the new setting) I'd be very OK with it as an epilogue. It feels like an 'after the dust settles' scene, what with the whole 'ending on Arlo's shoes' business.

That's sort of exactly what I'm saying shouldn't happen, we don't need our noses in every story at all moments with all information, some mystery is good. Life is immense even on a planetary scale, to blip into an entire supposed solar system we can traverse through flush with life, you'd expect some secrets, some odd events, some outliers you couldn't have been around for no? It fulfills that scope of life that you'd expect from a solar system wide reality and makes it feel like the world really is moving even outside your immediate view. I welcome that the wolf just disappears from our view at the end, that we never get to know his secrets, his goals, or what will become of him. I welcome that we don't find out what Arlo is, and that his sudden spring of worship leads to nothing but more questions to never be answered (at least by us) as it creeps into the endless void. Those are things that make the world feel full, makes it feel like it serves more than just my own characters narrative, makes it feel like alive and like there's always something out there maybe just beyond our reach, and those are aspects I relish in when it comes to world building.

Just like in real life not every story closes with you in it, not in every story are you the protagonist, sometimes stories go on without you, sometimes the story is someone else's to navigate, and without that the world would be nearly as expansive and compelling as it is. We can want more fleshed out systems for the world as well of course, because naturally not all things must be out of reach, but there is a strength to having elements out of reach as well, stories we don't get to complete, events we can't fully explore, and the way it helps to keep the world feelings alive and truly expansive. 

That said us finding more world hubs with railjack, rebel ships, mercenary centers, distant colonies, and the like would certainly be neat to see some day to with their own stories as well to further expand the world. As noted before, we do like a solar system wide world, there is so much room for a variance of life on it, and one can only imagine how much potential life is out there to explore if DE are ever willing. 

Edited by Cubewano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

We still don’t know what ARLO “is” and even the cinematics hint at his story being unfinished by just showing his feet or his sycophantic Cronie’s.

If you ask me, DE is in the beginning phases of setting up the Tennoverse version of The Legion of Doom.

Not knowing is fine, we don't need to know everything in the universe, if we did it'd start to feel small. Arlo and the Wolf were blips, they were weird pointed events that came and went without our understanding, and that's cool, it shows life goes on outside the tennos immediate scope and that's I believe what the whole aim was for these stories. It rounds the world out, shows that life does happen outside our immediate range of influence, and that the Warframe universe doesn't begin and end with just our player character. 

Edited by Cubewano

Wait

You all found this less interesting? We learned that there are a few things going on with Eris besides the awful Glast Gambit. We learned that there are some people out there that have the ability to help Warframes up, that the Infested have certain warriors that can use blade and gun, as well a second transformation amongst our enemies that can mimic others to look less of a threat. I know players are jaded lot nowadays...but to have all this Nightwave following Glast and telling us that the stuff on Eris is having a hissy fit but nothing about Lephantis? Plague Star is quiet?

Ah well...I am excited to see how things are going to change as this is just the tip of the iceberg as well as when we get the Infested Open City. Gotta use that imagination sometimes kids....can't be spoon fed everything

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cubewano said:

That's sort of exactly what I'm saying shouldn't happen, we don't need our noses in every story at all moments with all information, some mystery is good. Life is immense even on a planetary scale, to blip into an entire supposed solar system we can traverse through flush with life, you'd expect some secrets, some odd events, some outliers you couldn't have been around for no? It fulfills that scope of life that you'd expect from a solar system wide reality and makes it feel like the world really is moving even outside your immediate view. I welcome that the wolf just disappears from our view at the end, that we never get to know his secrets, his goals, or what will become of him. I welcome that we don't find out what Arlo is, and that his sudden spring of worship leads to nothing but more questions to never be answered (at least by us) as it creeps into the endless void. Those are things that make the world feel full, makes it feel like it serves more than just my own characters narrative, makes it feel like alive and like there's always something out there maybe just beyond our reach, and those are aspects I relish in when it comes to world building.

Just like in real life not every story closes with you in it, not in every story are you the protagonist, sometimes stories go on without you, sometimes the story is someone else's to navigate, and without that the world would be nearly as expansive and compelling as it is. We can want more fleshed out systems for the world as well of course, because naturally not all things must be out of reach, but there is a strength to having elements out of reach as well, stories we don't get to complete, events we can't fully explore, and the way it helps to keep the world feelings alive and truly expansive. 

That said us finding more world hubs with railjack, rebel ships, mercenary centers, distant colonies, and the like would certainly be neat to see some day to with their own stories as well to further expand the world. As noted before, we do like a solar system wide world, there is so much room for a variance of life on it, and one can only imagine how much potential life is out there to explore if DE are ever willing. 

Except these events are big enough to make what is effectively interplanetary news and the Zealots would definitely have attracted Tenno attention on their own so these factions are definitely not small fry that act as a curiosity for a few weeks then disappear into the ether. They pulled the Derelicts into orbit, that's a system-wide emergency. Plus there's the fact we mostly occupy the same spaces as these groups. A regular civilian isn't likely to run into a member of ISIS, especially not more than once unless they're very unlucky. Paramilitary personnel that travel all over the world actively seeking out conflict, including in places where terrorist organisations frequent, on the other hand, are probably going to run into them a lot more often.

Simply put, I'm not saying to end their stories with Railjack. The complete opposite in fact. Implement them into it as parts of the world as a way to make it more expansive. That Nightwave isn't just some big event that happens then the Wolf disappears off to be a guy who shows up on call every now and then. After he went off the radar, he did something. His story continued even though we weren't following it. Then you can cross paths with him again simply due to the fact you're going the same way.

6 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Except these events are big enough to make what is effectively interplanetary news and the Zealots would definitely have attracted Tenno attention on their own so these factions are definitely not small fry that act as a curiosity for a few weeks then disappear into the ether. They pulled the Derelicts into orbit, that's a system-wide emergency. Plus there's the fact we mostly occupy the same spaces as these groups. A regular civilian isn't likely to run into a member of ISIS, especially not more than once unless they're very unlucky. Paramilitary personnel that travel all over the world actively seeking out conflict, including in places where terrorist organisations frequent, on the other hand, are probably going to run into them a lot more often.

Simply put, I'm not saying to end their stories with Railjack. The complete opposite in fact. Implement them into it as parts of the world as a way to make it more expansive. That Nightwave isn't just some big event that happens then the Wolf disappears off to be a guy who shows up on call every now and then. After he went off the radar, he did something. His story continued even though we weren't following it. Then you can cross paths with him again simply due to the fact you're going the same way.

They did attract our attention, hence the entire progression of the story, it doesn't matter that we're aware they exist, knowing they exist to some degree is necessary so we can begin to realize to system is bigger than just us, but that their story doesn't start and end with us is what matters, which is why them fading out and never giving us a full conclusion is an essential part of the progression. We cameo in their stories more or less but that's all, which is entirely feasible and much like the real world, lots of events happen all the time even on a planetary scale that we have limited awareness of depending on our location and degree of impact in, and direct involvement can be said even less of, now flip that to Warframe where we operate on a solar system scale and of course we can't have our hand in literally ever narrative pot across a full solar system of life. Sometimes things can slip from our sight, because the world is big, and we're not omnipotent and omnipresent, acknowledging that through stories like these I welcome and prefer to just being all important and all knowing. It again makes the world feel more interesting, and more like a world rather than just my personal campaign center. 

So no we don't need to keep with their story, and its against the nature of the type of writing it is going for, it isn't our story to stay involved with, we aren't meant to keep up with it all, we aren't meant to know it all, the world is big and there are things we can't always keep tabs on or know about is the entire point I'm advocating in favor of. If we stay involved, if the story always keeps us a part of it, it is never going to make the world more separate from us, or make the world feel more than just my characters story, the elements have to move past us for that to work, it has to move outside the players sphere of influence and even awareness. If the world only revolves around us it is never going to feel all that big, if all the stories and all the events start and end with us, if we know everything that happens and get to stay present in everything, that isn't building a full/larger feeling world, it's just adding more to a single player epic.

22 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Ok, so, in 4 Arlo gets together his congregation. In the visual it's quite small (for some reason, probably performance or something) but it seems canonically it was a large crowd, including some pre-existing Zealots and Kenga. Arlo then basically vomits out a bunch of infection tentacles to turn all those there into infested of the same strain he and the Zealots are - or more likely 'activate' the strain already there from healing it. The idea being that he infected everyone he 'healed' with a latent strain that got them to swear loyalty to him, but remain normal and non-infective so they can go around and convince people to join the cult. Once members got large enough, phase 2 begins - bringing the derelicts to planets to swamp them with infested.

Part 5 is a conclusion, that IMO is pretty rushed (see my previous post). It's basically discussing the above and clarifying that Arlo wasn't ever actually a real person - he was a disguised Infested organism that administered the above 'cure' to spread the infestation in a more insidious manner. It also suggested that the Infestation on Eris is aware of its plan's limited success, and that it may be going for a repeat approach, since Arlo's shoes can be seen in shot, implying he either survived the infection process or more likely, just got recreated by the plague.

Ah, okay thanks. That's a bit of a let down of an ending. I was wondering the entire time if he knew what was going on or not, but since "Arlo" isn't really even a person but just a disguised infested organism, that makes it far less interesting. Spent all this time developing this character that isn't really a character at all.

As an infested fanboy I was super hyped for series 2. The rewards, while not all that I hoped they would be are very nice. I would have loved to see an armor set though and I'm not a fan of the sentinel accessories at all and the spore ephemera is a little ugh... but overall they're good. As far as the story, I was really interested in what they had in store for us. I'm a Nidus main who loves the infested and I've always been sad we don't have a noteworthy recurring infested antagonist. The Grineer have several but Vey Hek comes to mind, the Corpus have Nef, the infested are kind of just... boring from a lore and character perspective so I was really excited by the idea of having some new infested characters. Instead we got Arlo. Not all that interesting to me but I wanted to see how it played out. The story felt like it was drawn out way to far and thin, my extreme hype went steadily downwards thought the season. I found myself every day checking wondering when something was going to happen... but it never really did. Then the story just petered out at the end. No conclusion, no closure, no Arlo boss battle, it all just kinda fizzled and died. Sure Nora kinda made it sound like something bigger is coming on Eris like the entire planet is alive, maybe an open world and a huge planet Ego battle but that'll probably be another year before anything happens... Maybe Arlo will be a recurring character since we didn't kill 'em off

At least most of the enemies were cool, I love the Zealots, they turned out good. I like the thrasher, he's pretty gross looking really wet and juicy but I don't like the flier enemy, he looks lazily thrown together. He's just a lancer with a thrashers recycled arm and a couple of props slapped on. In comparison to the other enemies he looks awful and should be redesigned, even the old corpus leapers and crawlers look better.

As for the boss fight, I loved that. Even though the character model was ripped from Dark Sector and re-textured it still looks good (maybe they should steal more from the unused Dark Sector bin). The mechanics were fun and interesting too. I enjoyed fighting him quite a lot, though I'm not sure how I feel about the weapon he drops. Its pretty okay but eh, I had actually really wanted to get the Zealot pistol, I had my eye on it all season and that thing looks like it was something out of Halo. Maybe we'll get it someday but I'm not holding my breath.

Overall, I liked it but I feel like it could have been a lot more interesting, midway though the season I was flat-out board.

Edited by xcrimsonlegendx

Nightwave is doing far better than I originally expected, so nothing to complain from my side. There is a different story each season (interesting or not thats subjective), different boss and many unique rewards (armor set, decorations, sigils, weapon), something to do everyday and get handsome rewards in return. Seriously, from a free game that is very impressive.

My only nagging would be the catching mechanics, which helped many players reaching the end line, but it took away the "I gotta do this today" rush. Nightwave supposed to be a catch on time train.

• Like 1

On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎27 at 5:50 PM, Cubewano said:

They did attract our attention, hence the entire progression of the story, it doesn't matter that we're aware they exist, knowing they exist to some degree is necessary so we can begin to realize to system is bigger than just us, but that their story doesn't start and end with us is what matters, which is why them fading out and never giving us a full conclusion is an essential part of the progression. We cameo in their stories more or less but that's all, which is entirely feasible and much like the real world, lots of events happen all the time even on a planetary scale that we have limited awareness of depending on our location and degree of impact in, and direct involvement can be said even less of, now flip that to Warframe where we operate on a solar system scale and of course we can't have our hand in literally ever narrative pot across a full solar system of life. Sometimes things can slip from our sight, because the world is big, and we're not omnipotent and omnipresent, acknowledging that through stories like these I welcome and prefer to just being all important and all knowing. It again makes the world feel more interesting, and more like a world rather than just my personal campaign center. 

So no we don't need to keep with their story, and its against the nature of the type of writing it is going for, it isn't our story to stay involved with, we aren't meant to keep up with it all, we aren't meant to know it all, the world is big and there are things we can't always keep tabs on or know about is the entire point I'm advocating in favor of. If we stay involved, if the story always keeps us a part of it, it is never going to make the world more separate from us, or make the world feel more than just my characters story, the elements have to move past us for that to work, it has to move outside the players sphere of influence and even awareness. If the world only revolves around us it is never going to feel all that big, if all the stories and all the events start and end with us, if we know everything that happens and get to stay present in everything, that isn't building a full/larger feeling world, it's just adding more to a single player epic.

If us having cameos in another group's story is OK, what wrong with them having cameos in ours?

Seriously, that's all I'm suggesting. I'm not even suggesting we have big story beats involving them. They are literally things that can show up related to these events, after the fact. The simple idea that they are a part of the world that exists, and whilst we're not constantly monitoring them, we do cross paths with them every now and then? Surely the world would feel more artificial if something happens, it's a big thing for a few weeks, then everything related to it just vanishes, never to be mentioned again. That's not how things work in real life.

Things don't just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again, especially not if you're constantly monitoring and travelling the world.

5 hours ago, Loza03 said:

If us having cameos in another group's story is OK, what wrong with them having cameos in ours?

Seriously, that's all I'm suggesting. I'm not even suggesting we have big story beats involving them. They are literally things that can show up related to these events, after the fact. The simple idea that they are a part of the world that exists, and whilst we're not constantly monitoring them, we do cross paths with them every now and then? Surely the world would feel more artificial if something happens, it's a big thing for a few weeks, then everything related to it just vanishes, never to be mentioned again. That's not how things work in real life.

Things don't just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again, especially not if you're constantly monitoring and travelling the world.

Because it invalidates the point of it being a cameo if we stay interlinked. 

Edited by Cubewano

Just now, Cubewano said:

Because it invalidates the point of it being a cameo if we stay interlinked. 

Except we don't.

Wolf shows up. Does some stuff we see. Leaves. Does some stuff off-screen (namely, starts some kind of mercenary group, because what else is a 10-foot tall, hammer wielding, mute Doomguy-lookalike with a pack mentality going to do?) and we wind up encountering mercenaries associated with him - not even necessarily him, just people he's in charge of - after the fact, then leave afterwards.

7 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Except we don't.

Wolf shows up. Does some stuff we see. Leaves. Does some stuff off-screen (namely, starts some kind of mercenary group, because what else is a 10-foot tall, hammer wielding, mute Doomguy-lookalike with a pack mentality going to do?) and we wind up encountering mercenaries associated with him - not even necessarily him, just people he's in charge of - after the fact, then leave afterwards.

But you're asking that we do.