Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

NW Series 2 Ending - An easier time, but not as interesting

Schkrapnel

17 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

But you're asking that we do. 

Ok then:

What part of 'existence is occasionally felt on the world by us meeting them or individuals affected by their actions off-screen' is us constantly interlinking with a character's entire arc?

The point of Nightwave is, as you suggested, that it builds on the world. If things that happen in nightwave have no impact on the world, then that's irrelevant. And for them to have an impact on the world, we have to see the results of that impact. Like the old saying goes, if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to see it, does it make a sound? If a story happens and it has no effect on anything, did it really happen?

The Wolf only had meaning because he showed up, had a presence on the world as we understood it. With what we have now, that could only be done through him invading missions - through effectively just being a mechanic. With Railjack, if non-military elements are introduced for us to encounter (for example, coming across an Ostron ship we can trade with), that gives DE an opportunity for us to encounter them, for us to meet characters when they're not interacting with us specifically and not being game pieces. In other words, to create a situation where they can give these characters a story that doesn't revolve around us in gameplay as well as in Nightwave.

Storywise, the second season was god tier compared to the first. It actually fulfilled the role of expanding the world outside of the main plot.

I absolutely hate how the Wolf was shoehorned into a weak "jupiter rework" teaser. An entire story that was supposed to focus on a grineer criminal and a prison break ends with, well, essentially no prison-related stuff whatsoever.

I feel that it was wasted. So many more things could've been done, like having Helminth comment on the strain some warframe got while revived by devotees, our warframes hearing voices, any comment about how similar can zealots be considered when compared to warframes.

Also, I still don't know what happened with Arlo, just that he seems to be back at it, we never got to face it. I do like to think that Kenga is the Zealot we face as a boss, but there is no confirmation, and the ending feel flat, although it had so much potential

On 2019-09-27 at 1:56 AM, Cubewano said:

I mean the whole point of nightwave stories was to give the world more broad lore, if everything is still tied to our direct story it kind of fails at that. Nightwave isn't so far as I'm aware meant to directly progress our own stories, just the story of the warframe universe, it only feels small if all events start and end with us, even with the Wolf we get no real conclusion or direct development from him, he visits someone we know but then just disappears without explanation and without elaboration, and I like that direction for an area of the game. Just knowing there's these weird things out there vaguely happening that we don't really known the full deal with, and never will, makes the Warframe world feel more interesting and I don't think that needs more direct connection to us.  

Actually, during the final week of Season 1, there was a dedicated assassination node for the Wolf. So it's pretty much implied that the Tenno hunted him down and killed him.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

Actually, during the final week of Season 1, there was a dedicated assassination node for the Wolf. So it's pretty much implied that the Tenno hunted him down and killed him.

Not really, when Nora closed out his story she mentioned keeping an ear out because we never know when he might come round howlin again which leaves the impression he was never finished, and going by our own history of assassination missions it's a fair assessment. The event was there mostly to combat how low his drop rates were and to curb complaints I'd imagine, there was never any implication though that it carried a story impact or lead to his demise, his stories ending was left quite open just like with Arlo and we can still summon his today with the Wolf beacons technically.

The wolf isn't dead.  The event to kill wolf at the end of season 1 was to appease players who really wanted wolf's sledge as a weapon in game.  We can't really put stock into missions we do in game when we 'assassinate' alad v on jupiter but in the lore alad v is very much alive.  

The story was fine for season 2.  There are loose ends that can be picked up later on with this story, it's not too difficult to imagine how that can happen in the warframeverse I hope.  When will they be picked up?  No clue, it's up to DE as they are the ones fleshing out the lore side of the game, which this fits into somehow.  

During the lead-up to nightwave, I think Steve said something to the effect of how he wanted each episode of nightwave to be a standalone story similar to a Twilight zone episode, and I think to that end season 2 did pretty well. I think that in worldbuilding it's important to have stories that happen beyond the direct involvement of the reader/player. It gives the world a character that doesn't revolve entirely around our actions, a world that could plausibly continue running while we sleep. I get that it's disappointing that there's no Jovian concord-like tie-in update, but it's probably unfeasible that every nightwave season will conclude with dramatic new plot progression in the main storyline. At the very least, season 2 establishes the infested as a much more intelligent and tactical faction capable of more complex plans than "eat and grow until we can't be ignored anymore", and gives a sub-faction of them some motivation as a pseudo-religious cult. This could lay the groundwork for more infested bosses and NPCs with more interesting personalities, and maybe eventually lead to an infested-based civilisation who will be our point of contact for an infested open world.

Edited by AKTKWNG