Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real horde mode

Nerf_SupYo

Warframe is a "horde looter shooter" but when I'm way up on a peak over a facility in Orb Vallis (or in an archwing) defending in a squad and I see a dozen or maybe two dozen enemies showing up at a time and barely anyone breaking a sweat I wonder if we need to redefine what a horde is.

Maybe notch it up to hundreds at a time so squads need to actually coordinate their tactics to succeed, everyone wants more endgame content and it seems like a pretty easy "game mode" to do.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Nerf_SupYo said:

Thoughts?

People will crash. There are reasons we have restrictions on enemy spawns. If you try to spawn too many enemies at once people will lag and potentially crash/lose connection. This is probably not a good idea.

• Like 1

The servers are players hosted and not dedicated so players may have troubles like lag and disconnect like the person above said. If the servers were dedicated then they could handle more load and have better connection(I think). As of now it does not seem to be the best of ideas but maybe it can pass as a solo only gamemode with no exclusive rewards so players who cant handle the hoard spawns on their pc can get them by other means

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

People will crash. There are reasons we have restrictions on enemy spawns. If you try to spawn too many enemies at once people will lag and potentially crash/lose connection. This is probably not a good idea.

Unless you make those enemies dumber (remove cover and other mechanics), which is why we have more enemies when fighting infested, or optimize their ai somehow.

Still, it would make me very happy if i notice a huge army heading my way, though something tells me it would only work well in solo, maybe duo.

So yeah, my thoughts are: i'm absolutely not againist it, but spawning more enemies would currently make your cpu suffer, also a better internet connection/hosting capability would be a must for this to play in a squad.

As a suggestion, DE could remove the mechanics i mentioned (cover, hiding, maybe anything else) from grineer/corpus which get spawned in particular locations (rooms without any cover, open world maps) when player enters a currently non-existant horde mission (just crazy thoughts). Still a huge cpu hit, but that's something already.

Edited by Dante

2 hours ago, krc473 said:

Hadn't thought of that, too true and a shame. Mowing down hordes wave shooter style is a nostalgia trip for me.

2 hours ago, Lazarow said:

The servers are players hosted and not dedicated so players may have troubles like lag and disconnect like the person above said. If the servers were dedicated then they could handle more load and have better connection(I think). As of now it does not seem to be the best of ideas but maybe it can pass as a solo only gamemode with no exclusive rewards so players who cant handle the hoard spawns on their pc can get them by other means

Is there any hope of dedicated servers ever happening? Between this sort of thing and squads with more than 4 players it would really open up alot of cool options.

1) Engine chokes on too many mobs (you used to be able to spawn hundreds in sim and it would stutter. 2) doesnt matter for gameplay or difficulty since nuke abilities kill everything almost instantly (see ESO)

3) DE cant even fix the normal spawn so you could sit there and get nothing for minutes, I dont know why

Edited by Monolake

5 hours ago, Dante said:

Unless you make those enemies dumber (remove cover and other mechanics), which is why we have more enemies when fighting infested, or optimize their ai somehow.

I doubt this would have any impact at all. Try running EOS on a lower spec machine as host. You get lag spikes when the enemies spawn. Now imagine there were 10x the number spawning simultaneously. Even group spawns would cause the host to suffer.

• This is not only an issue for low spec machines. The game engine doesn’t utilise CPUs/GPUs that well, so anyone can get issues.

Having vast numbers of enemies to mow down would be fun, but impossible as the game would just lag and crash constantly.