Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Avian Companions: next companion type?

(XBOX)EternalDrk Mako

^(art by mitsets )

as a community, I wanted to discuss with my fellow tenno about this topic. Bird companions seem like a logical step in expanding pet variance in game.

the basic idea  lets say an eagle to kestrel sized predatory bird that follows you around, and attacks with beak and claws. in various ways. (dive bomb, ect) , using falconry as a basis for the combat method maybe. obtain genetic or an egg from in-game birds like valis / earth & hatch a chick.

would this be a good idea as a companion? would this be desirable? whats your thoughts?

~best regards

Mako

• Like 3

Just now, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

If it has a separate weapon slot for modding, then sure why not.

well as with kavats & kubrows they have their own dedicated slot right ?

id think companion mods would still be cross usable like link hp/armor/ect and bit and such 

or are you referring to a separate weapon for avian pets ? 

Just now, Gabbynaru said:

Big birds and tight spaces don't exactly mix, you know, and this game is full of tight places with low ceilings and claustrophobic walls.

we do have large kubrows who follow us around already, id say using a roost function could help with that or ride maybe on tenno till it has a more open area (such as shoulder) 

could also limit size to hawks or smaller, but a large bird could work under right ai setup with combat in mind

vor 1 Minute schrieb Gabbynaru:

Big birds and tight spaces don't exactly mix, you know, and this game is full of tight places with low ceilings and claustrophobic walls.

Just glue jet engines to their wings, then they could hover!

But in all seriousness, vacuum and current companions also don't mix well, so there is always the requirement of some suspention of disbelieve.

• Like 2

Just now, Walkampf said:

Just glue jet engines to their wings, then they could hover!

But in all seriousness, vacuum and current companions also don't mix well, so there is always the requirement of some suspention of disbelieve.

a valid point on the later part. and birds could hover and birds can walk on the ground its just more vulnerable 

Image result for hawk hopping gif

3 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

we do have large kubrows who follow us around already

And they are dumb AF.

I dunno, birds would have to be tethered to you like Sentinels, and even then they'd be clipping a lot, even if they are half a condoroc sized.

Edited by Gabbynaru
English fails me hard today.

8 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

well as with kavats & kubrows they have their own dedicated slot right ?

id think companion mods would still be cross usable like link hp/armor/ect and bit and such 

or are you referring to a separate weapon for avian pets ? 

Currently, no. Kubrows and Kavats don't have separate weapons. Their attack precepts and health stuff are all lumped into the same mod space.

If they had their own weapons, be it fangs or claws, that'd be great. And I'd be even more on board with avian pets since I could mod their beaks/claws separately from health.

1 minute ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

Currently, no. Kubrows and Kavats don't have separate weapons. Their attack precepts and health stuff are all lumped into the same mod space.

If they had their own weapons, be it fangs or claws, that'd be great. And I'd be even more on board with avian pets since I could mod their beaks/claws separately from health.

thats a point i didnt consider , could be useful to have a bird modable part then say beak / claws tab to mod seperatly for new species specific mods 

2 minutes ago, CoefficientOfCool said:

I will want more companions as soon as my kavat, Terrible Terry aka "@%#&$ 6-forma terry" stops trying to facetank every dang eximus unit that spawns.

never have an issue with my kavat (abomination) in combat but it usually does its own thing. could be you have a hunter mod? as those can trigger companion to attack bleed proc enemies

I don't have problems with the avian companons but I want first amphibian and lizard companions. Basically anything can be companion for us.

What I mostly wished or wants to be able to hire mercenaries or just get some human companions with moddable equipment, appearance and their own skills ( not same abilities like warframes ). 

This could be an improved version of the specter with some major differences because you can equip these companions like the other ones and they will serve you forever ( if they die in mission then you can use them in the next mission ).

Amphibian companions may be useful on map parts where there are a lot water body or the climate is moist. I can imagine them to take their preys and drown them.

Lizards could do the same but they are more massive and their skin is more capable for tanking so they probably could be our tanky companions so steelfiber usage could increase with them.

Avians have the advantage to fly and hunt down preys - mark preys from the air. They could be good candidates sure but I personally would not pick the condorcs because these creatures appears cowards. We need eagles or an avian - bat hybrid like creature what can use these lineages as advance.

Also glad to hear if they really will remove that awful loayality and degeneration features because both were unpopular.

• Like 4