Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pathocyst viral self damage

Tyanya

Hi there

Given the painfully slow attack speed (and with that, locked into the slow animation) and the relatively low damage, is there really a need to add the viral self damage proc to that?

Is there really a need to make a fairly undesirable weapon even less desirable, the maggot spawn feature is quite interesting and unique but just not enough to offset all the negatives.

That's my microwhinge out of the way, hope you all have a lovely day. ☺️

Naffpoetry.com

• Like 1

cool thing about viral procs is that you can double your healing. basically proc viral, halving your health. then use whatever healing method (restore pads or whatever). when the viral proc ends it will double your health and by extension, the amount healed. only problem is that in order to do that you have to take damage from the viral proc to begin with, and you are more vulnerable for that time period. I find it's a mildly useful technique on nidus and inaros

low Damage? Thrown Melee Weapons don't exactly deal low Damage. not as potentially high as a Weapon with Blood Rush hitting 500% Crit Chance, but certainly not low.
all Thrown Melee's detonations deal the Damage the Weapon has back to you. if you put Viral on any of the other Thrown Melee Weapons, you could have the same thing happen.

you have considerable control over the object while it is in flight, the recommendation would be to not detonate it in your face.

4 hours ago, taiiat said:

all Thrown Melee's detonations deal the Damage the Weapon has back to you. if you put Viral on any of the other Thrown Melee Weapons, you could have the same thing happen.

Wow I honestly never knew that was the case, I don't recall noticing it on the Glaive and Glaive Prime whilst levelling them, fair enough then, not something I'd use again given that, but useful to know. ☺️

2 hours ago, Tyanya said:

I don't recall noticing it on the Glaive and Glaive Prime whilst levelling them

sounds like you didn't detonate your Weapon in your own face. :)
fwiw, the self Damage from Thrown Melee Explosions is ~30% of the total Damage of the Explosion to yourself. but applies Status Effects just the same as it would to an Enemy.

• Like 1

On 2019-09-29 at 4:47 AM, taiiat said:

low Damage? Thrown Melee Weapons don't exactly deal low Damage. not as potentially high as a Weapon with Blood Rush hitting 500% Crit Chance, but certainly not low.

you have considerable control over the object while it is in flight, the recommendation would be to not detonate it in your face.

How are you supposed to control it while it is in flight? On some occasions, it even goes flat-out invisible. In the case of the Pathocyst, tracking its location is a nightmare since its particle trail is enormous, fluffy, and lasts a surprising amount of time, to the point where it even makes regular gunplay difficult because it obscures so much vision.

That in addition to the Pathocyst being a status weapon, which I don't think fits glaives in any way, since they're too slow for the 'hit one, inflict status, hit two, do damage' strategy.

Also, self-damage should just be a knockdown for, at max, 50% of your combined shield and HP value as opposed to just an instant suicide.

1 hour ago, Colyeses said:

How are you supposed to control it while it is in flight? On some occasions, it even goes flat-out invisible. In the case of the Pathocyst, tracking its location is a nightmare since its particle trail is enormous, fluffy, and lasts a surprising amount of time, to the point where it even makes regular gunplay difficult because it obscures so much vision.

That in addition to the Pathocyst being a status weapon, which I don't think fits glaives in any way, since they're too slow for the 'hit one, inflict status, hit two, do damage' strategy.

Also, self-damage should just be a knockdown for, at max, 50% of your combined shield and HP value as opposed to just an instant suicide.

a PFX trail lets you know where it is. and you shouldn't be hitting the detonate button when the thing is right in front of you? the Enemy probably isn't even that close, it's probably a few Meters farther away from you than that.
and you control Thrown Melee by bouncing it to where you want it relative to the Enemies, with the homing giving some assistance. detonate at any point you see fit.

Status fits Thrown Melee perfectly currently, as they cannot use Blood Rush (for the Throws). plus that the Throw causes two hits (if an Enemy is hit directly).
the Throws do all kinda need increased Crit Chances (which could help create stronger themes by having Ceratas' Crit Chance reflect the 'Crit Glaive' theme it was originally created as but then Powercreeped out of that theme) - i'm talking ones without specific Crit themes having Crit Chances around 30%, and with Crit themes around 60%. this is mainly to get Crit Chances high enough to consistently reward getting Headshots with the Throws.
but, strong Status Chance is still a logical fit for them.

50% of your EHP? well, taking 30% of the Explosions' Damage means it already..... is that? if i want to deliberately Kill myself with my Thrown Melee i have to detonate it in my face like 4-5 times in a row. if you blew yourself up with an unmodded Loki, the game shares little fault in that.

Edited by taiiat

13 minutes ago, taiiat said:

a PFX trail lets you know where it is. and you shouldn't be hitting the detonate button when the thing is right in front of you? the Enemy probably isn't even that close, it's probably a few Meters farther away from you than that.
and you control Thrown Melee by bouncing it to where you want it relative to the Enemies, with the homing giving some assistance. detonate at any point you see fit.

As I said, the Pathocyst's trail is so huge that it obscures where the thing actually is. And you can't control where it goes past the first hit/bounce, since it moves in random directions. That can combine into an unpredictable time until you can throw it again. Sometimes it's back in two seconds, sometimes in ten, so sometimes when you hear the whizzing sound, and then the sound stops, and you try to throw it again, you just blow yourself up because it didn't actually return to your hand.

16 minutes ago, taiiat said:

50% of your EHP? well, taking 30% of the Explosions' Damage means it already..... is that? if i want to deliberately Kill myself with my Thrown Melee i have to detonate it in my face like 4-5 times in a row. if you blew yourself up with an unmodded Loki, the game shares little fault in that.

It's 100% of the explosion damage, IIRC. Which is way more than the effective HP pool on anything squishy. Last time I got oneshot, it was a Wisp with active HP reservoir. All gone in one hit.

6 minutes ago, Colyeses said:

As I said, the Pathocyst's trail is so huge that it obscures where the thing actually is. And you can't control where it goes past the first hit/bounce, since it moves in random directions. That can combine into an unpredictable time until you can throw it again. Sometimes it's back in two seconds, sometimes in ten, so sometimes when you hear the whizzing sound, and then the sound stops, and you try to throw it again, you just blow yourself up because it didn't actually return to your hand.

It's 100% of the explosion damage, IIRC.

Thrown Melee can be controlled, practice makes perfect. 

it's 30%.

Edited by taiiat