The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Referral Program Misuse - Discussion

Ced23Ric

Now you want to have a referral program useful to those who can actually use it? have the rewards be a rank 5 Serration, Hornet Strike, Vitality, Redirection and Steel Fiber. Exclusivity does nothing but separates the haves from the have-nots and angers people off.

I like this alot.

INB4 you remember primed chamber and ammo mutation. (unless you're not referring to events... What other promos have there been? The packs where you buy X plat, and get mods? The mods were in already, then got added to the packs I think.)

An event is not a promotion. And the original cards for plat packs were the rewards for the top 100 folks for the fusion MOA event  and there was a freakout about that too.

I have to agree with others... making alt accounts, doing 10 missions and quitting is NOT what the referral program is for...

it was made to acquire new players and incentive advertising (while giving a little reward for the effort)

Maybe a permaban is a too strong punishment, i would just not allow them to earn the rewards if they cheated and a small ban

An event is not a promotion. And the original cards for plat packs were the rewards for the top 100 folks for the fusion MOA event  and there was a freakout about that too.

I was pretty sure the mods were already in game by then, but I could be wrong. But the point stands, there are mods that are exclusive, and have not been added.

The referral program should not give in game rewards, so ppl would use it for what was made for: introduce friends to the game.

If the only reward was the "if your friend spends plats you earn 50% of those plats" that would be fine and enough,

none would cheat because they would be cheating with their own money.

Writing for the second time coz ^%^$^$% forum cleans "Reply to this topic" on F5....

Anyway, as an old player (since open beta start) I would not care about referral system if it consisted only of thing that NEW player needs - slots/common mods with rank buffed (like someone suggested - vitality/serration of rank 5 or more), some must have rare mods of max rank (flow, streamline for example), a weapon that not OP and not exclusive would also do for a NEW player.

Do DE has any ideas of what a NEW player needs? So far - no.

DE says a lot that this program for NEW players to referral NEW player, but in fact it is not, NEW player would not need a mod that increases explosion radius of rank7 Ogris, so this obviously a lie.

Personally don't have anyone to referral anymore, everyone is already here or left after few hours or trying. If you would say "spam the social networks" I would say foff. Being $&*&*#(%& IRL spammer is not what I would do.

So my only option to get exclusive content is to ask clan mates to refer an alt for me and make 10 missions, or do it myself.

And what DE does so far is threatening to ban everyone who would be playing with alt accounts (abusing TOS how they say), such a $&*&*#(%& tactic to address a problem...this leads only to hating from the OLD community towards DE.

Old players will still do anything in their power to get what they need from this "alt" referral program - just for collection (gotta catch them all, yeah) or need (undying will is petty useful), some would be caught and banned (and will never buy anything related to DE, since DE is "bad" their eyes and they would tell their friends that DE is "bad"), some would be impossible to catch (even with their 100+ "friends") and they would just get what they wanted.

TL;DR; Remove all the exclusive stuff from referral program and make it obtainable commonly within game.

EDIT: I also don't care much about platinum percentage being rewarded for "friend" platinum income, that's fine for a NEW players.

Edited by Darkix

What if they added the exclusive mods to the Orokin Derelict missions? It would give an incentive for people to keep playing there after getting Nekros, which is another (albeit, smaller) problem.

Also, perhaps a choice for a player to unlock a frame slot or weapon slots when they reach a certain mastery level? Or add a small amount of platinum so they can choose what to spend it on as they progress? (This is most likely a different topic altogether though)

Doing this would allow for the referral to still exist, but with less of the problems at hand.

It needs orokin cell which drops in saturn earliest. Or from Vor if you're lucky. Also the blue print is 15k credits and crafting cost is another 15k. So no that is not an option for a beginner.

He can't spend 5$? You said beginner, not someone with no money to spend.

Besides he already starts with 50 plat, enough to buy a catalyst, a reactor and a cell (what else is he going to do with the remaining 10 plat?)

Increase the requirements for a referral, 10 missions is nothing. Make rewards for the referred people available in game. Add rewards for referrals when they complete the whatever missions they have (this means that if you start playing while you referred someone you get more stuff on your new account compared to if you didnt).

I think what ced23ric did a pretty damn good job of dissecting it. Frankly I for one am getting tired of these "Do this, get exclusive mod!" bullcrap. I get it, the games f2p, it relies on people spending money but there has to be a better way than to give the middle finger to free players/former/current customers/future customers.

Besides he already starts with 50 plat, enough to buy a catalyst, a reactor and a cell (what else is he going to do with the remaining 10 plat?)

Yeeaah... if I had to spend plat or buy to "get going" in closed beta I would probably forgot all about Warframe by now.

And that's pretty much what's happening with new comers, besids they simply do not own a weapon worths using reactor, 50 is not enough plat to actually experiment with anything (also Cataylst + Reactor is 40 Plats and a single Cell is 10 plats).

The game being ultra-hostile to newcomers is a greater problem then DE expecting us to be willing spambots on their behalf.

Edited by KONAir

DE u shouldnt give mods as reward for get new players in. i talked to much people, and all say, my first impression was to create 15accounts to get my hand on it! so DE dont wonder if players are cheating u when u give out unique mods like this!

thats a thing mak myself ask, what did these guys at DE smoke. it should be clear for u if u announce referal programm and show unique mods as reward, that players are cheating u.

to solve the problem, make the mod avaiöable for everone through gaming! or give a new reward, like extra credits or something but not unique mods!

Now find a new player who knows what each of these items are. And I don't know about you but I don't spend money on free to play games I only just started playing, I would see what it's like first. As for me I think I was about 100 hours in when I made first platinum purchase IIRC. 

Alright, folks have two options. Supercool!

Help people?

I say if the mods arent necessary what's the problem and suggest an idea to get enough friends for the mods.

VS

this is the first step in a slippery slope that will lead to extreme greediness by DE in the future.

Who is going on an extreme tangent again?

Once again you're missing the point, 15 is too many, especially since most of us have already referred most of our friends.

If I had this many friends to refer I'd be outside in a club.

The transmutation system only works for 2 out of 3 of the mods and is largely unreliable, forking out fireballs and the like with the use of 4 rares.

If you miss the point this time, for a 4th time, then I'm not going to bother replying again because when I do explain, you ignore the main point.

And in terms of the tangent, you are because that 'vs' bit has nothing to do with what the thread is about, as I've already said.

Edited by TerataiHancur

I don't like referral programs and never did. Especially with exclusive rewards.

First of all, if people like the game, they will referrer their friends to it with or without the referral program. Second, referral programs like this just encourage people to cheat and pester their friends just so that the developers can show higher numbers for marketing. Because let's not kid ourselves. If someone has to be pestered to play a certain game just so that their friend can get a reward, that someone won't stick around anyway. So it's not about growing the game, but about numbers.