Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Today's Sortie 1 (melee only sealab surv) reminded me just how badly Surv needs help.

Chroia

Edit: Ignore the fact that the title says 'Sortie', that's not the point.

I tried 4 different pugs, after giving up on recruit.
(Thought I'd avoid hallway heroes and try for a Condition Overload at the same time. Spent 40 min on Eu and NA recruit. Total of 2 bites, both of whom had no patience.)

People of all MRs (lowest - 6. Highest - 24) running way the hell off,
literal human trains of enemies spawning near me, then haring off to run across the entire map, chasing down the one guy that's farthest away - I'd literally run along side them for tiles at a time.
I was on a freaking max range Desecrate Nek, and not a single squad had more than 30% air for more than 60 sec after my popping off a LS tower.

Edit: The above is to illustrate how few enemies were being killed, if that's how little LS there was in a sortie 1 surv, not even a serious surv.

Yes, players are idiots.
It doesn't help that the game never lets you know that the real enemy in surv is pathing, spawn logic and agro logic.

It's really sad to think that I used to enjoy surv more when it was sewer camping.
At least then I actually got to fight stuff, as opposed to trying to hunt down stray enemies and my idiot teammates.

Edit: To clarify, because some people might make assumptions - No, that comment isn't about me joining a pug and then aborting when people ignore my demands that we camp. I'm not that much of a self-important, oblivious idiot.
I didn't. I disliked sewer camping. But at least then It's about people being within 2 tiles of each other, forget affinity range.
In each case, I aborted after 2-3 minutes when it became clear that unless I chased a rambo to KS, I'd be doing nothing but wait for the timer to run out.

Or, at very least, let me play solo with "4 player" spawn rates.
Edit: Okay, this comment can be read as complaining that solo surv is too hard.
I should have clarified that it's about poor combat flow in solo - low concurrent enemy cap + group spawns = enemies arrive in waves, not a consistent rate, which means half the time you're waiting for the next batch to show up rather than actually fighting something.

All cleared up now?

Edited by Chroia
Clarification in italics in response to replies.

I'm never having issues with sortie survival.

I always stay close to the first room the life pod spawns in, and let the hallway heroes be heroes. It only takes a couple of seconds for new enemies to spawn. I found that equipping enemy sense/radar helps a lot too, the enemies on the minimap seem to flock faster or more deliberately towards me.

Valkyr was a long time favorite but now I'm using wukong a lot.

It wasn't that difficult though. Ran it solo, sure one time I dropped to around 40% life support, but I was watching YouTube and forgot I was in a mission. It was easy to get back up to 80%. Granted I had Octavia so it wasn't much of an issue.

Apparently I need to clarify.
The sortie-ness of the surv is a non-issue, it's just the first surv I've pugged in a while.
The comment about %air was to illustrate how few enemies were being killed, because they were all busy chasing people who were somewhere else.

On the one hand, we have Ember, murdered because 'she makes the game unfun' because anyone who isn't the Ember plays 'chase the Ember'.
On the other, we have an entire game mode that turns into that if people spread more than 2 tiles apart, and this is apparently fine.

I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

-----

1 hour ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

And the issue is...?

It's just a 10min survival. You don't need Nekros or 4 camping players to complete it.

I never said it did.
The issue is that a game mode in which you spend 60%+ of the duration staring at an empty tile or chasing some rambo isn't particularly enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Spookmineer said:

I'm never having issues with sortie survival.

I always stay close to the first room the life pod spawns in, and let the hallway heroes be heroes. It only takes a couple of seconds for new enemies to spawn. I found that equipping enemy sense/radar helps a lot too, the enemies on the minimap seem to flock faster or more deliberately towards me.

Valkyr was a long time favorite but now I'm using wukong a lot.

Fair enough.
Like I said, the 'sortie-ness' of the mission wasn't the issue. Given the responses focusing on that, I'd remove that from the title if I could.

Enemy Radar has no effect on enemy targetting/movement, according to DE_Glen's recentish AMA stream.

1 hour ago, --Brandt-- said:

It wasn't that difficult though. Ran it solo, sure one time I dropped to around 40% life support, but I was watching YouTube and forgot I was in a mission. It was easy to get back up to 80%. Granted I had Octavia so it wasn't much of an issue.

I didn't say it was difficult, I said it was effectively just watching the timer tick down because I had nothing else to do.

34 minutes ago, ZarTham said:

<snip>

Where did I say any of that?
Nice projection, I guess.

2 hours ago, Chroia said:
Spoiler

Edit: Ignore the fact that the title says 'Sortie', that's not the point.

I tried 4 different pugs, after giving up on recruit.
(Thought I'd avoid hallway heroes and try for a Condition Overload at the same time. Spent 40 min on Eu and NA recruit. Total of 2 bites, both of whom had no patience.)

People of all MRs (lowest - 6. Highest - 24) running way the hell off,
literal human trains of enemies spawning near me, then haring off to run across the entire map, chasing down the one guy that's farthest away - I'd literally run along side them for tiles at a time.
I was on a freaking max range Desecrate Nek, and not a single squad had more than 30% air for more than 60 sec after my popping off a LS tower.

Edit: The above is to illustrate how few enemies were being killed, if that's how little LS there was in a sortie 1 surv, not even a serious surv.

Yes, players are idiots.
It doesn't help that the game never lets you know that the real enemy in surv is pathing, spawn logic and agro logic.

It's really sad to think that I used to enjoy surv more when it was sewer camping.
At least then I actually got to fight stuff, as opposed to trying to hunt down stray enemies and my idiot teammates.

Edit: To clarify, because some people might make assumptions - No, that comment isn't about me joining a pug and then aborting when people ignore my demands that we camp. I'm not that much of a self-important, oblivious idiot.
I didn't. I disliked sewer camping. But at least then It's about people being within 2 tiles of each other, forget affinity range.
In each case, I aborted after 2-3 minutes when it became clear that unless I chased a rambo to KS, I'd be doing nothing but wait for the timer to run out.

Or, at very least, let me play solo with "4 player" spawn rates.
Edit: Okay, this comment can be read as complaining that solo surv is too hard.
I should have clarified that it's about poor combat flow in solo - low concurrent enemy cap + group spawns = enemies arrive in waves, not a consistent rate, which means half the time you're waiting for the next batch to show up rather than actually fighting something.

All cleared up now?

200.gif