SHArK-FiN

Does Orbiter type even matter?

Question

Does ship type even matter in terms of their air supports? Do people actually use them?

Edited by SHArK-FiN

9 answers to this question

There is only one type of Orbiter. There are multiple types of landing crafts. Landing crafts are vehicles used for landing to locations, parked within your orbiter.
The types differ between looks and auxiliary support. Each landing craft has a different air support charge.
Just as warframes and weapons, different landing craft "abilities" can be useful in different situations. Most used one would be Liset's override, as it deals with any sort of lockdown, regardless of mission difficulty - useful when hacking ciphers are not an option. However, it's strictly subjective whether you'll find something useful or not. People using something does not necessarily mean that you will find it useful. The opposite also applies.

On another hand, this sort of question is a good thing to bring up with the staff regarding new player experience. There is little to no information on the differences of landing crafts, their abilities and the orbiter. The drop location of each seems to be possible to find strictly through chance or external sources. It's an excellent example that a very large number of game items follow. A good way of approaching the issue would be going through the entire catalogue of usable items and asking "does the player get told where to get this?". You will see just how many of the answers ends up being "no".

• Satisfied 1
  • Woah 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CxLL said:

There is only one type of Orbiter. There are multiple types of landing crafts. Landing crafts are vehicles used for landing to locations, parked within your orbiter.

Sorry I meant landing craft, my bad.  Anyway you cleared my mind so thanks

Liset's air support is the most useful because it's cheap and works in sorties too(not in the vault but everything else).
When you got a "smart" teammate who locks the zone by breaking a window in every mission with these also.You don't need to find a console, hack/use cipher, just drop the air support and you are ok.
The Xiphos, Scimitar and Mantis ones are cool gimmics but imo just for the cool factor to deploy a turret or a heal station(the carpet bomb thing is a joke, not even cool).

4 landing craft each with their own air support charge.

The Liset one can be usefull at times if you're still not good at ciphers, especially under pressure.

The Mantis one with its healing can be usefull when you're running with a low level group

The Scimitar has in my opinion the worst 'aid' namely carpet bombing does very little damage over a very limited area and considering the time it takes to set it up and execute it you'll find that you're better of just shooting.

The Xiphos on hte other hand is the most usefull as it puts down a turret. It can come in use even in higher levels during defences, interceptions and such to add a bit of firepower if you're getting overwhelmed for one reason or another (e.g. re-ranking up weapons/frames without a full team etc..)

This is for sure one of those things that, at least for me as a new player, was a mystery for the longest time. I only used the air support once because it was required, I think. DE really needs to explain this better during the game and make it easier to at least know how to get different parts. Also, decorating is so difficult lol 
I only learned the difference between orbiter and landing craft after asking about it on my clan discord. Hoping Railjack might give these ships some love as well.

Most people use the liset. Either to immediately lift the lockdown the Stalker activates if the person being attacked by him is on the other side of the map, or to pause the timer for several seconds when somebody screws up in a spy mission.

All I am going to say, is if they unlocked the precepts, and allowed you to choose which you want, with whichever landing craft you prefer. You would see a lot more variety in landing craft, and the vast majority of experienced players run the hacking precept. I love the Xiphos, but I run the Liset, graphics choice tied to a precept forces my hand, because I will always choose function over form.

5 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

Does ship type even matter in terms of their air supports? Do people actually use them?

Liset is a lifesaver is Sortie Spy.  I really wish more people would bring Liset air support with them when they do it. I always do, but  since there's a 10 minute cooldown it's not something that one person can spam.