Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does the AFK policy work these days anyway?

Nerf_SupYo

It's been a few years since I heard anyone complain about getting no reward from an auto AFK flag (not that I've been combing around for it every day) but I'm wondering how does the system work these days. Is there a policy online somewhere?

Of course it comes to mind from a sortie dropping a nice melee riven today with one of the players AFK the entire time, so I'm curious if starting the mission and walking away to have lunch is paying off.

(please skip any lectures about why I shouldn't care if someone on the squad is leeching/afk etc.)

1 minute ago, Ahniar said:

-see someone afk widout letting the team know-

-lead mobs to said player-

-he dies/bleeds out-

-proceed the mission as normal-

Grofit? 

I literally I has a similar case like this in today's sortie survival. Needless to say, the rest of the squad agree to let that afk die.

As far as I know the exact mechanics of afk detection have never officially been disclosed and as far as people have noticed the mechanic hasn't been changed either.

Though while it seems less common for people to complain about getting penalized themselves it can just be explained by the trend of treating the game like a tower defense is dying off. But there are still people who afk intentionally and still seem to get their rewards so either some items like mission end rewards ignore the penalty or they intentionally do the minimum to remove said penalty periodically.

9 minutes ago, Ahniar said:

-see someone afk widout letting the team know-

-lead mobs to said player-

-he dies/bleeds out-

-proceed the mission as normal-

Grofit? 

So if they die they don't get the end of mission rewards? I can think of a few occasions in the last few years where I died and my squad mate kept on for awhile after and I still got the rewards 15 or 20 minutes later.

5 minutes ago, trst said:

As far as I know the exact mechanics of afk detection have never officially been disclosed and as far as people have noticed the mechanic hasn't been changed either.

Though while it seems less common for people to complain about getting penalized themselves it can just be explained by the trend of treating the game like a tower defense is dying off. But there are still people who afk intentionally and still seem to get their rewards so either some items like mission end rewards ignore the penalty or they intentionally do the minimum to remove said penalty periodically.

Thank you for an actual thoughtful answer, particularly the bit about the mechanics not being official and known.

• Like 1

The best way to deter a leech/AFK player is to leave the match. 

If you don’t finish it for them, they will not get their rewards.

Sometimes things do come up, people have emergencies or their spouse walks around the corner with something sexy on. Plenty of good reasons to simply walk away from the game.

I usually don’t care, unless it’s something like a Tricap. Any action besides leaving the match against a leech is, itself, a form of harassment. 

I once thought it was if they were dormant for 3 mins no reward, but I believe that only applies to survival/defense rewards because I know of a few cases were players were dormant for arbitrations and still got rewarded. 

5 minutes ago, Nerf_SupYo said:

So if they die they don't get the end of mission rewards?

If they are dead they won't get any exp or drops, if they continue dead after 5 or so minutes, they get disqualified for any "end round" rewards.

What happens tends to vary from player to player but usually that behavior tends to trigger some people hard.

If there is a reason for being afk (toilet, door rings...) I do protect them, else... well, if they do not want to play, let them "rest". 

Sorry 'bout that first post, came out a bit more cold than intended ;3

6 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

It makes sense that the exact specifics aren't public, if they were people would find ways to circumvent them. 

True that.

4 minutes ago, (XB1)Kuljack said:

The best way to deter a leech/AFK player is to leave the match. 

If you don’t finish it for them, they will not get their rewards.

I've done that many times, but there's this spooky coincidence that the matches with AFK players that I don't leave tend to have better rewards.

Especially if I'm wearing this green sweater and my hat tilted slightly east.

But it's true, if I left on many of these missions I'd probably have ended up with a sculpture instead of a riven, all of that's irrelevant since I'm mostly interested in the way the thing works, which it seems we don't know by design.

A Report AFK feature would be useful though.

While in some cases an afk player might get no rewards, the long term problem is the report that follows often leads to a warn and support only warns once on unwanted behavior.

The best way to deter an afk player isn't to leave the match, but instead to do an afk report using your account, your proof and your own common sense, if you lie, mislead or report just because a player made you upset, you might compromise your communication with support, which is why it is safe for a player against all odds report a player for afk, clans cannot false report you because if they do, problems fall on them.

Just submit a ticket at support, with proof and if they agree with your afk observation a warn is sent, once done it is highly likely that the player will never afk again and very likely that the player will quit warframe in the following weeks.

Edited by KIREEK
small corrections

19 hours ago, KIREEK said:

While in some cases an afk player might get no rewards, the long term problem is the report that follows often leads to a warn and support only warns once on unwanted behavior.

The best way to deter an afk player isn't to leave the match, but instead to do an afk report using your account, your proof and your own common sense, if you lie, mislead or report just because a player made you upset, you might compromise your communication with support, which is why it is safe for a player against all odds report a player for afk, clans cannot false report you because if they do, problems fall on them.

Just submit a ticket at support, with proof and if they agree with your afk observation a wanr is sent, once done it is higly likely that the player will never afk again and very likely that the player will quit warframe in the following weeks.

Makes sense. I'm mostly interested in discouraging and dis-incentivizing with no rewards for entering the mission and swapping to another screen to play minecraft (as was one example I remember from a few years ago.) I guess if the game is that uninteresting to them it might not be such a shame if they just stopped playing anyway though.

The AFK detection really only hits the very blatant case where someone is completely immobile for a good few minutes(2 I think?). Not particularly useful if a person is trying to leech since they will often just move back and forth every so often at the spawn point. Being dead does prevent them from being able to move but the timer still needs to count down before the system flags the person down for being AFK. 

An example of how the system fails is having a person AFK for 4 minutes of a Fissure Survival, and then moving to pick up Reactants on the 4 minute mark and going back AFK after selecting the next Relic. The system would only be flagging him for being AFK between the 2 to 4th minute but after he starts moving, he will be able to receive rewards again.

Reporting is the only way to really do anything since it's easy to circumvent the built-in system. We'd probably see a lot less if people can see a visible report function in the game just to scare people into thinking that other players can simply hit that button and they might be banned.

7 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

The AFK detection really only hits the very blatant case where someone is completely immobile for a good few minutes(2 I think?). Not particularly useful if a person is trying to leech since they will often just move back and forth every so often at the spawn point. Being dead does prevent them from being able to move but the timer still needs to count down before the system flags the person down for being AFK. 

An example of how the system fails is having a person AFK for 4 minutes of a Fissure Survival, and then moving to pick up Reactants on the 4 minute mark and going back AFK after selecting the next Relic. The system would only be flagging him for being AFK between the 2 to 4th minute but after he starts moving, he will be able to receive rewards again.

Reporting is the only way to really do anything since it's easy to circumvent the built-in system. We'd probably see a lot less if people can see a visible report function in the game just to scare people into thinking that other players can simply hit that button and they might be banned.

^exactly.

It's easy to unintentionally AFK.  One scenario I find myself increasingly in is doing a pub mission,  the squad doesn't disband after,  and another squad member decides to force everyone else into his next mission instead of leaving squad.   I have,  on more than one occasion, left my computer only to come back and find that someone has forced me through another mission while I was AFK.  It's annoying as heck.  The way to prevent it is to always leave squad before going AFK. But the fact that you can't leave squad on the orbiter loading screen makes that annoying in a different way. 

as far as i know, the way the system detects a player is afk is if their...dead? the way DE Rebecca put it was like 'if a player is reegistered as dead for more than a few minutes and does not revive before mission end than they are considered afk, the get xp but no real rewards' . or something like that. the only way i could verif ythis is that it happened to me is one survival run where i was almost out of revives and didnt want to use the last one till my team was ready top extract(way before the idea of solo evac was a thing) and basically didnt get any of the rewards from the point after i was dead and no 'bonus xp' cuz i didnt quite revive in time.

so its there, the system kinda works. and if not remember this: the game always splits enemies up by the players who are present. what i mean by this is even when your team has a nice 'farming spot' in a survival notice it wont work as well if u arent there. why? the game is sending people to kill u since u arent with your teammates, so it breaks flow.

does that answer your question?

• 1 month later...

Just want to say, I do not appreciate any kind of accusations for being AFK, at all. If you report me for being AFK, well I probably had to do something more important than playing a video game. It's one thing to report an AFKer but lately i've seen 2 people say in the chat "I reported you and recorded it" and then leave the match immediately, then ignore me. All the while I had to just go to the bathroom at the beginning of the match, or something very minor like that. Like really?

So don't report anyone for being AFK, don't say you are reporting anyone, just take a deep breath, and leave.

Edited by Lucidess

On 2019-11-07 at 11:33 PM, Lucidess said:

Just want to say, I do not appreciate any kind of accusations for being AFK, at all. If you report me for being AFK, well I probably had to do something more important than playing a video game. It's one thing to report an AFKer but lately i've seen 2 people say in the chat "I reported you and recorded it" and then leave the match immediately, then ignore me. All the while I had to just go to the bathroom at the beginning of the match, or something very minor like that. Like really?

So don't report anyone for being AFK, don't say you are reporting anyone, just take a deep breath, and leave.

Or go to the bathroom, then start the mission. Leaving the room is obviously AFK, and plenty of people do it at the expense of other people's time holding up missions and leeching. It's obnoxious.

So next time you need to take a dump, take a breath, and leave. You can restart the mission and not inconvenience the people that are actually there.

• 1 month later...

Played a few rounds Hydron, Sedna today with 2 Saryns and 1 Ember. Needless to say I had to do sh*t except run around every three rounds and gather loot.

Especially since nothing stayed alive for more than 0.0032 seconds. (Duration scientifically proven not totally made up to clarify they died immediatly on spawn.)

After that we all decided to leave and I got the notification that I had no right for rewards cuz AFK. Alrighty then, very interesting system. Punished for being matched with 'press 4 to win' frames.

23 hours ago, Deus-Ex-Vesania said:

Played a few rounds Hydron, Sedna today with 2 Saryns and 1 Ember. Needless to say I had to do sh*t except run around every three rounds and gather loot.

Especially since nothing stayed alive for more than 0.0032 seconds. (Duration scientifically proven not totally made up to clarify they died immediatly on spawn.)

After that we all decided to leave and I got the notification that I had no right for rewards cuz AFK. Alrighty then, very interesting system. Punished for being matched with 'press 4 to win' frames.

(genuine question, I'm curious) Were you moving your frame/shooting at all? Years ago I remember the system regularly declaring AFK on players that stood in place to cast abilities but didn't move.

vor 53 Minuten schrieb Nerf_SupYo:

(genuine question, I'm curious) Were you moving your frame/shooting at all? Years ago I remember the system regularly declaring AFK on players that stood in place to cast abilities but didn't move.

Well, shooting would've been a waste but yeah, I ran around every few rounds to collect stuff. I may take the easy life when it offers itself but I'm still greedy as f. 🤑