Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mod Booster and Free to Play.

[DE]Rebecca

Hello all!

This post will be long - so get comfortable. It will have 3 parts discussing the Mod Drop Chance Booster, The Free Paths, and The Loot Frames. It will cover the issues that some players raised about a correlation of releasing a Mod Booster after adjusting Loot Frames abilities stacking earlier this year (which removed getting loot from the same corpse multiple times). No fluff - just facts. Let's begin.

The Mod Drop Booster has existed in Warframe’s Dev Build for 6 years. We originally had plans to release it with other Boosters, then Twitch Drops. As Prime Access continues, many players have requested more diversity in the Boosters added. We started planning the addition of bonus Boosters with Atlas Prime Access without changing the established pricing structure. The first bonus being a 7-Day Mod Drop Chance Booster - which double’s a killed enemy’s chance to drop a Mod. Its existence is in no way associated with Loot Frame abilities. 

Part I: The Mod Drop Chance Booster
The first Mistake: Players only hearing about it in a news article sub-line.
It’s been years since we’ve released a new Booster, and finding out about one in a single sentence was the wrong kind of surprise. 

Part II: The Free Paths: 
The second Mistake: not committing to and clarifying the Free availability.
Having a free path is an important part of any new premium gameplay content, and this Booster will have a free path. 

When this Mod Drop booster launches with Prime Access, it will also be available for free: Sortie Booster Rewards are being refreshed to include a 3-Day version, and Baro Ki'Teer is adding the 3-Day version to his offerings over several visits during Atlas Prime Access.

The Mod Drop Chance existence matches the design of the Resource Drop Chance Booster, and it’s a category expansion. But since the announcement of the Mod Drop Booster, the worst case scenario in player’s minds has emerged: ‘What if they are releasing this as a paid fix to the removal of looting abilities double-dipping with corpses?’ This simply isn’t the case, but it’s the perception that matters. 

Part III: The Loot Frames: 
The third Mistake: not providing closure on the loot-frame changes from The Jovian Concord. We are restoring the loot mechanics to what they were before The Jovian Concord - Warframe Loot Abilities will again be able to yield multiple-drops from already looted corpses. 

Looting abilities serve a very singular purpose - to loot. And when they all stack on the same corpse, they become the only choice for loot-seekers. This puts players in a position of deciding whether or not to bring the frames that have the best looting abilities rather than anything else. Our intentions with the change were to alleviate that, but ultimately we are reverting it in an effort to eliminate bad will that these two items are related in any way. We’d rather make a decision that possibly lessens choice but respects precedent, than have players think the choice was related to a new booster, and actions speak louder than words. We are aiming to get this in on all platforms by tomorrow! 

The Conclusion (TL;DR at bottom): The Mod Booster will be offered for the Atlas Prime Access period due to how synchronized Platform store releases are handled. During this time you’ll be able to acquire it through select Baro Ki’Teer visits or Sortie Rewards. The Atlas Prime Access Booster lasts 7 days and can only be bought once. With Baro and Sorties, a free player should be able to get equal access to that offering during the duration of Atlas Prime Access. The future of the Mod Booster will be decided as Atlas Prime Access comes to and end. 

Decisions related to drops and monetization of our free to play design aren’t easy, and we have a long history of trying to find a fair balance. In this case there’s mixed reactions and fear. While the players concerned with the Warframe Abilities may find this resolution a win, those who have moved the conversation to ‘DE will balance Mods around this booster’ will have to trust that this simply won’t happen. We’ve worked hard over 7 years to provide free content, and we will continue to do so. 

TL;DR - The Mod Booster will also be available free in Sorties and on Baro Ki’Teer. Warframe Loot Abilities will again be able to yield multiple-drops from already looted corpses. 

Thanks, Tenno! 

10 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

The third Mistake: not providing closure on the loot-frame changes from The Jovian Concord. We are restoring the loot mechanics to what they were before The Jovian Concord - Warframe Loot Abilities will again be able to yield multiple-drops from already looted corpses. 

Well, this is big news and greatly appreciated. Thanks for making the decision and admitting the mistake.

Overall, I still have (and I'll dare say, a lot of players will still have) a strong opinion on the booster even with the explanation. After all Mods are much more rarer than resources (although we've certainly had issues with them in the past as well... Ah, the all infamous Hema).

Nevertheless it's good to see this adressed and I appreciate you taking the time to put this together and properly adress this right after such a busy month for you.

On another note though... You mentioned Prime Access (Accessories I'd rather say) value on the Atlas PA announcement thread, and I repeat myself: After the Mesa PA helmet addition and the currently available (for only a few more hours) Wukong PA (Ephemera +whole new Kubrow skin + Syandana), the value of the accessories is all over the place and a discussion NEEDS to happen to ensure the value of the packs remain perceived positive by the playerbase.

Sure, but what if instead you just eased up on the few drop mods that have such astronomically bad drop rates to begin with? Is this going to be silently used as a justification to just add more terrible drop rate mods in the future?

Can't help but notice a lot of the horrible to get mods are for archwings, which keep getting promised to be important in the next big update that's been teased for over a year. Hmmmmmmmm.

10 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

As much as i like to see this change, the lootframe meta wouldn't be as needed as it is without high resource costs (*cough* hema research *cough*) or mods with awfully low drop chances with a reduced amount of sources. Any chance for these issues to be addresed at some point too?

Okay, see, THIS is great, and this is basically what we have been wanting for the Arbitration discussion. 

Clear, honest communication, with an understanding of not only the actual reality of the situation, but the perception of the situation by the community.

Seeing this fills me with hope for the future of Warframe, but now I'm genuinely baffled as to why you didn't do something like this in response to the backlash on the Arbitration changes?

I know it's been a little bit since then, but I (and likely a lot of others) would honestly appreciate hearing from you what made that situation different, and why you elected to minimize your response to it.

In any case, I'm glad to know DE is listening!

Any chance we can get a 'part 4' in the mix as well...

Part of the reason we relied on the meta farming squads was due to stupidly low drop chance of certain mods.  If we didn't have to farm relatively rare enemies to get mods with under 2% drop chance we might actually mix up our setups a little. 

So any chance we can get a review on the drop chances on mods where they have incredibly low drop chances combined with the fact that they're only available from enemies with lower levels of spawns. 

A perfect example is kinetic diversion, this has a 0.5% drop chance from the aerial commander, which is in itself a rare spawning enemy on PoE, or a 1.88% drop chance from the doma thumper which doesn't always show up as well.  Now this new mod booster isn't really going to make life that much better when you consider that even at 1.88% that is only 3.76% chance...

17 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

But since the announcement of the Mod Drop Booster, the worst case scenario in player’s minds has emerged: ‘What if they are releasing this as a paid fix to the removal of looting abilities double-dipping with corpses?’ This simply isn’t the case, but it’s the perception that matters. 

Thank you for clarifying this! Any other company would have barricaded themselves and waited for the storm to pass, so I'm so happy to see you guys acknowledge that the perception of this move turned out to be absolutely terrible. Furthermore, thank you for taking steps into removing that perception, instead of giving us a "we hear your concerns" response. You guys remind me that there's still good in this filthy, disgusting industry!

Thank you very much!

24 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

The future of the Mod Booster will be decided as Atlas Prime Access comes to and end. 

Comes to AND end?

Also now we have another booster I would not want to get in the sortie reward pool. Why would I want a mod booster it does not help me when playing normal stuff only when I want to farm specific mods which I never do go out of my way just to farm mods. Same with the drop chance booster whenever I get that I wished I got another booster like the resource booster which I can use on exploiter or profit taker. IMO drop chance is just like a worse resource booster. Even the affinity booster is better IMO even though the focus gains are super small since I don't focus farm and only use basic lenses.

TLDR: I don't want to get this booster from sortie rewards.

Could you clarify to which "Loot Frame Stacking" state we're getting back to? There were several small nerfs over the years, I don't remember when exactly they happened.

Will multiple Nekros be able to desecrate the same corpse again?

Can multiple Ivaras pick pocket the same enemy again?

Or is it just different abilities working with each other, instead of the same multiple times?

Archived