Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mod Booster and Free to Play.

[DE]Rebecca

Frankly the current booster are a bit over-doing it, and DE was the ones who took away stacking, don't act like this is an act of kindness by giving them back while adding in more monetization. Warframe has been successful enough that frankly they could do to remover some of the more egregious free to play mechanics, (boosters, 1 and 3 day long build timers) but adding another one is frankly insulting.

Whats the point in the mod booster... the mods that are rare are so rare even with the new booster you still wont see it..

im 3k+ hours NEVER seen Condition overload ( Drekar Butcher 0.02% WOOT 0.04% !!!!!! ) or Bite ( Drahk 0.01% Feral Kubrow 0.01% Kuva Drahk 0.01% AMAZING 0.02% !!!!!!) drop.

Fix the bloody drop rates... Mod booster is absolutely useless any way you look at it and is NOT wanted at all..

The real point of the new booster is to dilute login rewards to take away from the actual useful boosts (Affinity, and Resource) If you allow us to pick which booster we get from Login sure add the Mod boost.. but its one Booster i will NEVER pick....

I have to agree with everyone saying that the loot changed decreased player choice instead of increasing it.  It basically destroyed the viability of Hydroid as a loot frame,  and reduced Khora's, leaving Nekros the only real choice for looting.    I don't have statistics on how people actually played,  but it switched the optimal from Nekros, Hydroid/Khora. Speed Nova,  and a nuke frame to  Nekros, Nekros,  Speed Nova, and a nuke frame. 

Nekros the first choice for loot frames,  and is much more effective than any of the others,  to the point where having a loot farming team without him is very silly.  Synergy gave people a reason to use Hydroid in farming teams.   But when only one or the other works,  there's no reason to ever take Hydroid,  unless you really like playing Davey Jones.  Khora is better because her strangledome is a nice area denial ability,  and its loot multiplier is icing on it instead of an end unto itself, and the rest of her kit is good,  too, but you wouldn't pick her as your only loot multiplier if you were making a dedicated farming squad.  .    

2 hours ago, BlindStalker said:

it's starting to look like a bleak future for Ivara players, and its depressing to see you continuously nerf her without any real compensation.

Maybe because Ivara is still by far and away one of the strongest and most versatile frames in the game. The nerfs you listed are so minor that the statement "starting to look like a bleak future" makes me want to keel over with laughter at the absurdity.

She will likely get some changes upon her prime release, every frame does, but she is already in an amazing spot right now that any change would like be quality of life at best. 

i do think this is an overall improvement to the situation and is just overall the right choice, and i think you guys have handled the issue really well. however, and do forgive me if it's been mentioned before but i haven't read through the entire comment section, i can't help but be that tenno and say it.

loot abilities should cease to exist, and in their place drop rates be adjusted so that loot output is ultimately similar to when using them. also all frames with loot abilities should have them suitably buffed in turn to give them some sort of value in lieu of the lost looting.

this is mostly because as it is effective looting, no matter how you look at it, requires loot frames. but also because said loot frames are often stuck being the loot machine. both of these limit your gameplay options quite a lot if you want to farm something. imho it'd be better if we could get optimal looting without having to rely on loot frames and if some of the current loot frames didn't get their value from being able to tip the loot scales in our favor. now this is not to say that abilities that make enemies drop things can't work, but imho it'd be better if that had it's value in things that affect gameplay directly such and health/energy/ammo/etc drops instead of being valuable 'cus they can ease the farm.

just my two cents on the overall loot issue

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Decisions related to drops and monetization of our free to play design aren’t easy, and we have a long history of trying to find a fair balance. In this case there’s mixed reactions and fear. While the players concerned with the Warframe Abilities may find this resolution a win, those who have moved the conversation to ‘DE will balance Mods around this booster’ will have to trust that this simply won’t happen. We’ve worked hard over 7 years to provide free content, and we will continue to do so.

The problem with this statement is that the rest of the game was clearly balanced around the other existing boosters. It's the only way you can do things without giving up on putting any limitations on people with a booster to have them keep playing.

Kuva is the easy example but it's applied to tons of things over the years and the next one is probably going to the vitus drops from arbitration drones.

It's probably not going to do much to mods because the drop rates are already terrible but its existence incentivizes you to keep those awful rates and use them for new powerful mods.

6 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

The future of the Mod Booster will be decided as Atlas Prime Access comes to and end.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Baro boosters are never longer than 3 days. Sortie boosters are also 3 day ones.

No mention of Mod Booster as login reward scaling from MR rank or a monthly-long purchasable by Platinum.

If you don't consider this pay to win why so many precautions and limitations, including the quoted statement?

You want to flood the market with Condition Overload type mods even if it means their individual price drops, then you will count the numbers and decide if you want long term income or go back to rarity causing raising prices. Stacking loot frames un-nerf may also mean more resource boosters purchased because these won't feel as necessity anymore = decent Platinum sink.

You are transparent about mechanics of this damage control fix but avoid discussing real issues - Atlas Prime Pack is mediocre and would sell poorly so you tried to make it as lucrative as possible with minimum effort. No primary or secondary primed weapon, mediocre frame with niche use, sentinel which is not-a-Carrier (may be ok but ammo boost and Looter are godly so... no), melee with no range maybe good in Melee 3.0 but currently not so great (maybe it has a gimmick like some primed gear but if so, you should advertise it weeks before to create hype).

There's more unerplayed, clunky frames in line to be primed, you need to rework them and pair with interesting weapons.

Who is the next frame to be included in Xmas pack? Will it come with Riven Booster and Primed Chamber?

7 hours ago, (PS4)Shustas said:

I dont get it. You say its bad to get 8 growing power mods from apothics so you nerf loot frames. Now you want to revert back does that mean its ok to loot specter 8 times? Confused

They still feel like you shouldn't.

But people expressed they're dislike(complained hard lol) with the change. So they're undoing it b/c a very large & vocal portion of the community wants it this way.

What's there to not understand my boy?🤔

7 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

those who have moved the conversation to ‘DE will balance Mods around this booster’ will have to trust that this simply won’t happen. We’ve worked hard over 7 years to provide free content, and we will continue to do so.

Personally, I never expected DE to maliciously use lootframes and boosters as justification for lower drop rates. I know how hard you work make this game fair.

But

You will be using global acquisition rates to plan content right? Because you will have a target for the amount of time it should take to get a specific reward. All of that data will be skewed by boosters and lootframe multiplication.

Which will just hit solo players even harder than the current multiplication does that is built into the relic system.

While the revert on lootframes is welcome, as far as the booster goes, can we just not add them at all? If you truly want to improve the farming experience then just straight out improve drop chances across the board instead of adding yet another bandaid fix. Regardless of free ways to earn it, boosters will always be frowned upon. 

7 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hello all!

This post will be long - so get comfortable. It will have 3 parts discussing the Mod Drop Chance Booster, The Free Paths, and The Loot Frames. It will cover the issues that some players raised about a correlation of releasing a Mod Booster after adjusting Loot Frames abilities stacking earlier this year (which removed getting loot from the same corpse multiple times). No fluff - just facts. Let's begin.

The Mod Drop Booster has existed in Warframe’s Dev Build for 6 years. We originally had plans to release it with other Boosters, then Twitch Drops. As Prime Access continues, many players have requested more diversity in the Boosters added. We started planning the addition of bonus Boosters with Atlas Prime Access without changing the established pricing structure. The first bonus being a 7-Day Mod Drop Chance Booster - which double’s a killed enemy’s chance to drop a Mod. Its existence is in no way associated with Loot Frame abilities. 

Part I: The Mod Drop Chance Booster
The first Mistake: Players only hearing about it in a news article sub-line.
It’s been years since we’ve released a new Booster, and finding out about one in a single sentence was the wrong kind of surprise. 

Part II: The Free Paths: 
The second Mistake: not committing to and clarifying the Free availability.
Having a free path is an important part of any new premium gameplay content, and this Booster will have a free path. 

When this Mod Drop booster launches with Prime Access, it will also be available for free: Sortie Booster Rewards are being refreshed to include a 3-Day version, and Baro Ki'Teer is adding the 3-Day version to his offerings over several visits during Atlas Prime Access.

The Mod Drop Chance existence matches the design of the Resource Drop Chance Booster, and it’s a category expansion. But since the announcement of the Mod Drop Booster, the worst case scenario in player’s minds has emerged: ‘What if they are releasing this as a paid fix to the removal of looting abilities double-dipping with corpses?’ This simply isn’t the case, but it’s the perception that matters. 

Part III: The Loot Frames: 
The third Mistake: not providing closure on the loot-frame changes from The Jovian Concord. We are restoring the loot mechanics to what they were before The Jovian Concord - Warframe Loot Abilities will again be able to yield multiple-drops from already looted corpses. 

Looting abilities serve a very singular purpose - to loot. And when they all stack on the same corpse, they become the only choice for loot-seekers. This puts players in a position of deciding whether or not to bring the frames that have the best looting abilities rather than anything else. Our intentions with the change were to alleviate that, but ultimately we are reverting it in an effort to eliminate bad will that these two items are related in any way. We’d rather make a decision that possibly lessens choice but respects precedent, than have players think the choice was related to a new booster, and actions speak louder than words. We are aiming to get this in on all platforms by tomorrow! 

The Conclusion (TL;DR at bottom): The Mod Booster will be offered for the Atlas Prime Access period due to how synchronized Platform store releases are handled. During this time you’ll be able to acquire it through select Baro Ki’Teer visits or Sortie Rewards. The Atlas Prime Access Booster lasts 7 days and can only be bought once. With Baro and Sorties, a free player should be able to get equal access to that offering during the duration of Atlas Prime Access. The future of the Mod Booster will be decided as Atlas Prime Access comes to and end. 

Decisions related to drops and monetization of our free to play design aren’t easy, and we have a long history of trying to find a fair balance. In this case there’s mixed reactions and fear. While the players concerned with the Warframe Abilities may find this resolution a win, those who have moved the conversation to ‘DE will balance Mods around this booster’ will have to trust that this simply won’t happen. We’ve worked hard over 7 years to provide free content, and we will continue to do so. 

TL;DR - The Mod Booster will also be available free in Sorties and on Baro Ki’Teer. Warframe Loot Abilities will again be able to yield multiple-drops from already looted corpses. 

Thanks, Tenno! 

Good this is what was needed to be said. I'll give yall the benefit of the doubt. Y'all in my good books again and not E.A anymore

People can say what they want, DE remain one and only.

No editor would explain what mistake was made by detailing what they want to do, what they do and more over (infinitely) how would it be received.

Anthem fail, fallout fail to this, destiny die to this, division still hang on, but Digital Extreme already made it, and they do it again.

No dev can do what they do, admit they were wrong and roll back to a previous situation (including how much time/money it's cost them to roll back).

Thanks DE, we love your game, in return you loved us.

Video-game is love, DE porved it

(except the grineer yelling: "tenno scum", screw that guy)

why care so much about a new booster getting released

you can earn plat by selling prime things or unused rivens or whatever and buy a booster with plat, would still be free to play

im like ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 

This was a great way to address the problem. It doesn't matter if it fixes "everything" in people's minds.

There was clear communication on what had happened, what was happening, and what is going to happen.

There is also an attempt to rectify what many people believe is an issue.

This is why I'll continue to support DE. 

Other companies (I won't name them......but their names rhyme with factivision and D A)  could learn from this.

22 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

TL;DR - The Mod Booster will also be available free in Sorties and on Baro Ki’Teer. Warframe Loot Abilities will again be able to yield multiple-drops from already looted corpses.

This right here has changed my mind and made me want to actually buy this prime access and actually makes me happy for the mod boosters being added. Also it gives an actual purpose back to Hydroid, Khora, and Kubrows for farming purposes since post-nerf, Nekros just outclassed them all to the point that they didn't matter (Thus still removing the choice for optimal farming anyway since it became "Kill everything as fast as possible and have Nekros afk somewhere nearby with high range" which translated to "Saryn, Nekros, Smeeta Kavat, Trinity, Rhino/Mirage/some other damage buffing frame"). Thank you for listening to the community, although I wish it hadn't taken so much outrage over it seeming to be a shady cash grab for us to be listened to when so many of us vocalized our distaste for the looting nerf in our looter shooter that we've all come to love.

EDIT: after reading the hotfix notes for the reverting of the loot nerf, it appears to have just been toning back the nerf, which is still pretty shady since it was stated that the nerf would be reverted not just altered to be less extreme.

There really isn't any reason to punish people who are willing to sacrifice power for treasure. If people want stack Nekros with Hydroid and stuff then they should be allowed to, nobody's forcing anyone to play anything specific unless they're trying to minmax an organized party, and isn't minmaxing one of the fun things about Warframe?

Archived