Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hey, remember when Ash was supposed to look like this at some point?

Wubilicious

Alternate gender skins would be cool and the devs have considered it (Excalibur vs Nyx, and Ember being male at first) but they have already given us their answer and it was “no”. Essentially doubling the amount of modeling, texture, and potentially animation work would not be worth the payoff. 

That concept art for Ash is just that at this point: an unused concept. I wouldn’t expect anything more to come out of it, considering this topic has resurfaced time and again with nothing to show for it.

• Like 2

I get your point, not sure about how animation work would be needed, every warframe uses the same skeleton right? It's not like they'd need to make alternate idles for them, they'd be purely skins.

But yeah I know they won't really do it, not unless they get real desperate I bet lmao

Edited by Wubilicious
spelt something wrong

49 minutes ago, Wubilicious said:

I get your point, not sure about how animation work would be needed, every warframe uses the same skeleton right? It's not like they'd need to make alternate idles for them, they'd be purely skins.

You'd be surprised at the excuses DE can dig up from their issues with their own code. You know why we can't use weapon skins on Zaws? Because the devs somehow put all the pointers to the Zaw's statblock and variable tables inside the 3D model file. For some reason

12 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

You know why we can't use weapon skins on Zaws? Because the devs somehow put all the pointers to the Zaw's statblock and variable tables inside the 3D model file. For some reason

Fair enough, but that's clearly not the case with warframes otherwise Primes would lose their enhanced stats anytime we used an alternative skin on them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Fair enough, but that's clearly not the case with warframes otherwise Primes would lose their enhanced stats anytime we used an alternative skin on them.

Zaws, and kitguns as well, have at least 3 parts that effect the stats, Warframes only have 1, with everything else just for looks, although there were Arcane Helmets before, but those were removed a long time ago, possibly due to the same reason why Zaws can't have skins?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hyro1 said:

although there were Arcane Helmets before, but those were removed a long time ago, possibly due to the same reason why Zaws can't have skins?

Arcane helmets still exist on the accounts that had them (and are still tradeable) and work fine with Prime frames, applying their stat modifications to the Prime stats, as do the couple of weapon skins that alter stats e.g. Brokk hammer skin that can be applied to Fragor or Fragor Prime.

1 minute ago, Katinka said:

Arcane helmets still exist on the accounts that had them (and are still tradeable) and work fine with Prime frames, applying their stat modifications to the Prime stats, as do the couple of weapon skins that alter stats e.g. Brokk hammer skin that can be applied to Fragor or Fragor Prime.

Still less parts than zaw and kitguns, on top of that they also need to be gilded, that also may play apart as to why skins can't added to them

2 minutes ago, Hyro1 said:

Still less parts than zaw and kitguns, on top of that they also need to be gilded, that also may play apart as to why skins can't added to them

I'm not trying to argue that skins should be applied to zaws/kitguns.  I'm simply trying to point out that the reasons given for restricting skins on them (back-end coding complications) clearly don't apply to Warframes as we already have skins for frames that completely override the model yet retain the correct stats for both normal and Prime frames.

4 minutes ago, Katinka said:

I'm not trying to argue that skins should be applied to zaws/kitguns.  I'm simply trying to point out that the reasons given for restricting skins on them (back-end coding complications) clearly don't apply to Warframes as we already have skins for frames that completely override the model yet retain the correct stats for both normal and Prime frames.

I'm not try to argue, just trying to apply knowledge that already known for the game to try to explain why, heck for all I know DE just made the Zaws without skins in mind, only to realize the mistake far to late

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExcaliburUmbra said:

Alternate gender skins would be cool and the devs have considered it (Excalibur vs Nyx, and Ember being male at first) but they have already given us their answer and it was “no”. Essentially doubling the amount of modeling, texture, and potentially animation work would not be worth the payoff. 

That concept art for Ash is just that at this point: an unused concept. I wouldn’t expect anything more to come out of it, considering this topic has resurfaced time and again with nothing to show for it.

Not really, the only answer they ever gave was they were uncertain it'd sell, which was before the advent of deluxes that proved that concern null, beyond that they've never shut the notion down or been explicitly against it. Effort wise a alternate sex variant of a frame would take no more effort than a deluxe would since they're both just model swaps, and animation isn't a concern since all frames share the same rigging (with the exception of grendel i believe) to avoid exactly that sort of extra workload.

The rest is just a matter of getting DE's attention, or finding an inspired artist who wants to jump start such a project on the team, but who knows how busy everyone is right now with Railjack and the New War expected release dates looming ever closer. 

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

Not really, the only answer they ever gave was they were uncertain it'd sell, which was before the advent of deluxes that proved that concern null, beyond that they've never shut the notion down or been explicitly against it. 

When it comes to DE-developed alternate gender skins, they actually have. 

Devstream 71, 51:10 in the time stamp:

Rebecca: “On the topic of alternate gendered warframes - people know we’re not doing that; we’re not making a male-female skin.”

Geoff: “Yup.”

They then proceed to discuss the potential for alternate gender Tennogen skins instead which concluded with “not sure, but probably not”.

Edited by ExcaliburUmbra
Formatting

50 minutes ago, ExcaliburUmbra said:

When it comes to DE-developed alternate gender skins, they actually have. 

Devstream 71, 51:10 in the time stamp:

Rebecca: “On the topic of alternate gendered warframes - people know we’re not doing that; we’re not making a male-female skin.”

Geoff: “Yup.”

They then proceed to discuss the potential for alternate gender Tennogen skins instead which concluded with “not sure, but probably not”.

That statement seems like it was in regards to the present practice, as in people know they aren't actively doing male-female skins at the time of the inquiry, not a flat no to the idea or future which is rather clear since the conversation directly following it is about how things are always shifting and nothing is certain so it'd be pointless for them to commit to an explicit answer. Likewise for tennogen, though I'm not surprised they were uncertain about that one, they've always been quite cautious about the create freedoms they allow our tennogen creators. (they're even rather particular with directly contracted parties for deluxes as we learned with ignusdei)

As interesting as it would be to think tennogen artists could do it for DE I've never been quite confident of that notion ever coming into reality, if it ever came to pass I'd expect it be done internally, with the best case being that tennogen would be able to build off the subsequently available models for amplified profits and more branched out cosmetic choices for said models. (in a way gender swap skins could potentially generate more of a profit long term than deluxes even without an upfront cost if they were able to utilize tennogen properly after the case)

10 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

That statement seems like it was in regards to the present practice, as in people know they aren't actively doing male-female skins at the time of the inquiry, not a flat no to the idea or future which is rather clear since the conversation directly following it is about how things are always shifting and nothing is certain so it'd be pointless for them to commit to an explicit answer. 

I mean sure intentions and situations change, I’m not disputing that. They could change their mind for whatever reason they want.

Just trying to address your claims here in bolded:

2 hours ago, Cubewano said:

Not really, the only answer they ever gave was they were uncertain it'd sell, which was before the advent of deluxes that proved that concern null, beyond that they've never shut the notion down or been explicitly against it. release dates looming ever closer. 

I’m pretty sure stating “we are not doing this” is a pretty explicit refusal, assuming we’re both using the same definition of explicit. At that point in time, it was pretty clear that they did not want to spend resources to develop alternate gender skins. 

And to clarify I’m not against the idea of alternate gender skins as I stated before, just trying to clear up misinformation.

Edited by ExcaliburUmbra
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ExcaliburUmbra said:

but they have already given us their answer and it was “no”. Essentially doubling the amount of modeling, texture, and potentially animation work would not be worth the payoff.

Which is funny when it seems the art department are the only part of DE that's on point when it comes to getting things done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyro1 said:

although there were Arcane Helmets before, but those were removed a long time ago, possibly due to the same reason why Zaws can't have skins?

Well those helmets still exist, but only as a legacy option. I have 2 or 3 of 'em, and they take up an Arcane slot when equipped.