Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wubilicious

Hey, remember when Ash was supposed to look like this at some point?

4 hours ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

While that might be I believe there have been a few dev streams where the topic has been talked about and the conclusion is always more or less a hard no on the releasing of gender bending skins, simply due to the resources it would take and how its not the direction they want to take the game.

They've only ever expressed uncertainty towards the notion, specifically because they didn't think it'd sell over new frames, but that was also before deluxes became a thing and proved new models alone could be highly profitable. Past that it's just a lot of vague and non-stances, they've certainly never said it was a direction they didn't want to take the game. 

50 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

It seems like some ppl rather want to have every male frame switched to female.

Which sounds a bit perverted.

I'm not a huge fan of gender limitations but in warframe's case i can accept it since every frame was made to be unique. And their gender plays into that.

And we have the operator.

Who are these people? I'd frankly be more interested in it so I can see a throwback Ember skin to blaze. Or a male Saryn. Not sure there is a targeted trend for this request outside just having it as a thing overall from my interactions with such topics. 

And where did you get the every frame was made to be unique? Or that their gender plays into it? So far as I'm aware all our frames are mass produced, and we're allowed to place a great deal of visual alterations to them through tennogen and deluxes -the later being on the same technical scale as a gender swap skin would- so preserving their visual identity must not be that strong. And internally Warframes are so far from human there's little reason to think notions of male and female apply there, them looking one way or the other is just a matter of how we allow their outer shell to present more or less. 

As for having operators, I'm not sure how that is relevant honestly. This is just about visual aesthetics, not personal identity, at least from what I'm aware of. Same reason people want skins and armors and helms and any other number of cosmetic spices. 

9 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Something. 

I'm not gonna get into this more than that. 

Arguing about this with you is anything but worth the time. It's just a worthless conversation for nothing.

It really just boils down to aestetic tastes.  If genderswap skins existed the frames abilities would remain the same.

In games female character models are just better designed on average.  People like to look at pretty and/or attractive things.

I'll personally use whichever frame is needed for the sutuation.  But if the option exists for female characters.  I'll use them over the males just for fun.

Creative freedom is a posative thing.  Thats the point of skins, apperence tabs, character creators wuth sliders, etc.

And lets be honest the tenno being androgyness prepubesant teens are not the super models.  Which most folks like to see.

Consider the crazy good skins we see from tennogen.  Or the never ending mods for other games.  Skyrim and fallout being examples.  The communitties know how to make things. De could dive deeper in with the tennogen folks and mod communitties saving them labor time.

Never doubt how creative and dedicated modding communitties are.  Years after the fact. The elder scrolls games and fallout continue to get mods for basically anything you want.

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

I'm not gonna get into this more than that. 

Arguing about this with you is anything but worth the time. It's just a worthless conversation for nothing.

Sorry to hear that, if you're not comfortable with debate though you should probably avoid such topics in the future however. The forums are more for conversation than a self acting echo chamber. 

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

Sorry to hear that, if you're not comfortable with debate though you should probably avoid such topics in the future however. The forums are more for conversation than a self acting echo chamber. 

It's only certain topics or ppl that i don't like to talk more about than stating my opinion.

16 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

I have said it before.  Why not have the tennogen people be given the option to do most of the work under supervision of de.  De can sell the genderswap skins and share a little more pie with the tennogen artists.

De makes money with minimal loss of their time/resources.  Artist get more money for thier efforts.  Players get something fun.  De gets fairly cheap volunteer labor.

This is pretty much what I think they should go for.  Ideally I'd want the basic mesh made by DE for consistency but then open up Tennogen designers to be able to use either male or female (or possibly even bundle both) for their designs.  A little effort from DE but a lot of potential given to Tennogen.

16 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Which seems odd you would think since we can already swap skins and animation sets.  A genderbend skin should work the same.  But i guess the code is borked like zaws.

I think the fact that Rebecca can equip the Lotus skin and helmet on any frame thoroughly debunks the idea that there could be any coding or animation issues.  It's just a matter of DE allowing it.  Given that they once accidentally allowed the Alabaster Excalibur skin from the Derelict Vaults to be equipped then removed it later, I'm pretty sure they could test popularity by 'accidentally' allowing Excalibur and Nyx to use each other's cosmetics.  Pull it if it causes outrage, leave it if people like it, deny accountability/intent to limit expectations.

10 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

It's only certain topics or ppl that i don't like to talk more about than stating my opinion.

Take my advice or leave it, making falsehoods and then refusing  to talk to those who point them out is only ever going to do yourself a disservice. Have a pleasant day. 

On 2019-09-30 at 7:27 PM, ExcaliburUmbra said:

and potentially animation work would not be worth the payoff.

Animation work is minimal because 90% of all animations are shared among all frames, even Wisp's "unique" walking animation could be added to her animation sets for other frames but they decided to keep it vague and allow people to impusively spend platinum on them and then give the excuse that it is "too complex" to add it when in reality it is as simple as how Hildryn, Wisp and Limbo using a different roll animation.

On 2019-09-30 at 8:27 PM, ExcaliburUmbra said:

Alternate gender skins would be cool and the devs have considered it (Excalibur vs Nyx, and Ember being male at first) but they have already given us their answer and it was “no”. Essentially doubling the amount of modeling, texture, and potentially animation work would not be worth the payoff. 

That concept art for Ash is just that at this point: an unused concept. I wouldn’t expect anything more to come out of it, considering this topic has resurfaced time and again with nothing to show for it.

Animation work? Wut?

7 minutes ago, Im_a_Turtle said:

Animation work? Wut?

I mentioned this for two reasons:

1. Some frames have unique animated aspects specific to their model (e.g. Gauss).
  2. Idle animations that may need to be adjusted or redone to fit the alternate model.

Finally, there’s a reason why I said “potentially” to single it out from the other points. I don’t consider it as certain or important as the others. Hope that clarifies things for you.