Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Furappi

Atlas Rework Ideas

7 hours ago, Hawk1911 said:

Honestly the rest of this prime's release is very lazy, no changes visually to any of his abilities, they put more effort into his Deluxe skin versus an actual prime release, they could have sold a lot more if they just put some actual effort into it.  No update to his kit to follow up with his Prime release, no visual changes to his kit or abilities and a very mediocre weapon.  Sorry to say I've gotta disagree that this was a "good" release, sure they buffed his base stats, gotta give people SOME reason to get him right? but otherwise it's beyond lackluster, they NEED to fix this, new visuals and don't use the old 16bit color textures on all of his rock textures, his rock armor is still the same exact, every other prime in the game has changes does to their abilities visually accept Atlas, even Wukong got something.

I won't be purchasing the prime pack for this reason specifically. I completely agree, this was a bad prime release and DE would have been wiser to delay it if they needed to make time to work on a rework.

I think few Atlas enthusiasts are happy with this release right now, judging by feedback I've seen.

35 minutes ago, AngrySkorpio said:

So, Atlas Prime released and we got no changes to his kit at all. On one hand, it makes sense. Atlas is by far not the worst warframe in the game, and there are warframes, like Vauban and Ember, that need a rework much more than him. On the other hand though, he is not particularly good at any content in the game either and i hope he will get a rework in the near future, for example after Ember.

I disagree, Atlas is in pretty poor condition. His kit, while operating with synergy and being less broken than others, is one of the weakest in terms of the return you get from playing him effectively (ie: low return of damage/effectiveness in play on your investment of energy and difficulty of use). There have been many feedback threads lamenting the outright uselessness or weakness of both his 2 and his 4 as well.

In my opinion, there was no situation where an Atlas Prime release without a rework makes sense, because his kit fundamentally makes him a chore to play.

30 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

I think that at this point, Atlas needs a full-blown rework, tweaks will be a bandaid solution like Rivens to a poor weapon. I mean, what you're suggesting is nicer than what we have today, but it's still a bandaid.

Agree with this completely.

Both of you have ideas that I think would've made this prime release worth it for me. As it is now, we need at least something to make Atlas interesting and worth spending our money on his prime packs.

Fully support Atlas receiving a revisit.

I was happy to see that they had increased his base energy, but from my experience playing him it feels like that is where the feeling of being "clunky" comes from - it really felt like I never had enough energy to play him properly.

I feel like it would have been easy for them to break the chain of abilities costing the same for each frame (i,e; [1] costs 25 energy, [2] costs 50 energy, [3] costs 75 energy, [4] costs 100 energy) and instead make the cost relative to what the abilities do; Atlas could easily have benefited from his abilities costing  [1] Landslide costs 25 energy, [2] Tectonics costs 25 energy, [3] Petrify costs 25 energy, [4] Rumblers costs 50 energy.

41 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

I think that at this point, Atlas needs a full-blown rework, tweaks will be a bandaid solution like Rivens to a poor weapon. I mean, what you're suggesting is nicer than what we have today, but it's still a bandaid.

I kinda came up with a haphazard rework idea in another Atlas thread, copy-pasting it here:

I'm disappointed Atlas did not get a proper rework for his Prime...

So I went and came up with a quick off-the-top of my head rework to make Atlas great again

0) Passives: Immovable stays as it is. Monolithic: Rubble no longer decays, caps out at 100 pieces and is used to fuel Atlas offensive/defensive capability (mostly during Landslide). Health restores/armor bonus get to stay. 

1) Landslide: Exalted weapon akin to Baruuk's with unique mechanics. It's NOT fun to spam 1 to punch. Thus, exalted with a couple quirks. Normal melee attack charges at the target as current Landslide does. Charged attack either charges enemies with a range-scaling AoE blast proc on contact or (if aimed at the ground) slams the ground with a stomp-like AoE that knocks affected enemies down and opens them for ground finishers for a duration. 

Rubble synergy: If rubble is present, stone shards burst from both normal and charged Landslide attacks, proccing Slash. Ground-aimed charge attack with rubble also leaves a field of stone debris - a persistent (duration-based) AoE that slows enemies in it. Additionally, while Atlas has some Rubble, his fists auto-block up to 95% (Power Strength-based) incoming damage in an up to 180°(270°) frontal  arc. Attacks that burst stone shards and rubble-powered blocks consume rubble.

1.1) Augment: Path of Statues is boring. Why not borrow from Excal's Chromatic blade? Replacing with Wrath of the Elements: Depending on Emissive color, landslide attacks deal 25%/30%/40%/50% bonus elemental damage. Rubble-powered attacks cause Blast, Magnetic, Radiation or Corrosive procs instead of Slash for Fire, Cold, Electric and Toxin, respectively. Ground-aimed charge attacks leaves an elemental puddle as well. 

2) Tectonics - walls are boring. Besides, Volt has a better shield anyway. Replace with Boulder Toss. Tap to quickly form a standard-size boulder and throw it in the reticle direction. On contact with enemy, boulder "glues" the target to it and starts slowly rolling in the direction thrown, absorbing a number (power STR based) of enemies in its path until it hits an obstacle. Enemies past the limit are knocked down. Upon hitting an obstacle, the boulder explodes for heavy Blast damage, scattering enemies previously absorbed. Ability can be held to increase boulder size. Exploding boulders also scatter Rubble pickups for Atlas. Up to 1/1/2/2 Boulders can exist per Atlas at a time. Casting another one will detonate ones already present. 

Rubble synergy: While Rubble is present, cast Boulders consume some of it to become spiky, causing Puncture procs to enemies rolled onto/caught in the blast. 

Landslide synergy: targeting a rolling ball allows charging at it from great distance (thing Wisp Breach Surging to her Reservoirs) and explodes it prematurely, dealing Landslide damage to all enemies trapped by the boulder. 

Augment: Pull of the Earth - the boulder gains a magnetic aura and draws enemies and enemy bullets in a larger, range-based radius while rolling and/or holding ability key. Explosion deals Magnetic damage instead of Blast. 

3) Petrify - is almost OK as it is. Range needs an increase, though. 

Landslide synergy: Damaging a Petrified enemy with Landslide deals more damage than normal. 

Boulder Toss synergy: Casting Petrify stops any rolling Boulders in their tracks. Petrified boulders produce more Rubble when shattered, either by Landslide or recasting Boulder Toss. 

Augment: Eh, I guess it can stay as it is.

4) Rumblers - we already have Wukong. Besdies, mountains don't need pets. So, I'd replace it with a transformation ability (yes, a bigger, full-body version of Conclave Rumbled :D). Gaia's Fury encases Atlas in rock, buffing his Armor/HP and giving him status immunity for a duration. Reduces Atlas movement speed and disables bullet jumps/most of parkour. During Gaia's Fury the ground itself shakes in a small, range-based AoE around Atlas, knocking any enemies down and dealing Impact damage. 

Rubble synergy: during Gaia's Fury, rubble is NOT consumed by Landslide/Boulder Toss/frontal blocks. Instead, it starts passively accumulating (up to a cap of 200) and violently explodes, expending all stored rubble in a huge Blast AoE when the ability ends. 

Augment: Vengeful Fury - during Gaia's Fury, any attacks that land on Atlas cause a backlash of stone shards dealing Puncture and Slash damage. Yes, I ran out of idea by this point.

Yeah, yeah, ability names are WIP, so is the whole thing, but come on, this is something I spent an hour+ writing, surely DE could do better than "exploding rumblers" >_<

I would love if bulwark was expandable in size or scale with a stat and instead of pushing it, like you said I wish atlas would pick it up like Greek atlas and throw it with effects like you suggested.

2 hours ago, ShasOBorkan said:

I won't be purchasing the prime pack for this reason specifically. I completely agree, this was a bad prime release and DE would have been wiser to delay it if they needed to make time to work on a rework.

I think few Atlas enthusiasts are happy with this release right now, judging by feedback I've seen.

Haters gonna hate, enthusiasts gonna play ;-)

2 hours ago, ShasOBorkan said:

Exactly, I mean if they wanted people to become more interested in Atlas then they failed miserably this time, the fact that I saw more Wukong even BEFORE his changes should tell you something and now his prime release is just a small amount of dust in a tornado, lost.  Such a wasted opportunity.

On 2019-09-29 at 1:05 PM, ShasOBorkan said:

Uncapping it completely? I think it might be weird for long missions if you get up to like 20,000 rubble, but it sounds fun! But I'd like to see the cap increased to at least 3,000.

Not at all, it'd fit right in with endurance missions. Again, it'd be balanced out primarily by armor having diminishing returns and never hitting 100% dr. Along with the decay and healing overriding armor gains plus the other stuff.

On 2019-10-01 at 1:03 AM, Hawk1911 said:

Totally agree but something tells me that DE isn't interested in working on him anymore otherwise they would have shown off any changes like they did with Wukong, they may but I doubt it.

I'd like to see all of these changes and even some of the ones that were suggested within this thread.

Maybe he'll be touched-up after the Vauban and Ember changes ship? We'll have to see tomorrow!

I don't know, it would be nice but a little late, if DE wanted to drive people to use or buy him you'd think that the smart move would have been to update him and not Gauss in Atlas's own patch.