Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why We Still Have Harvestable Resources In Origin A Thousand Years After The Orokin Empire

Sitchrea

I doubt that the Orokin actually ran out of resources. I bet they ran out of obtainable resources.

What do I mean? Enclosure - the policies that almost killed Great Britain in the Victorian era. It was a policy that allowed English noblemen to close off public land for their personal (read: recreational) use. Whole forests, acres upon acres of farmable land, all wasted for the excuse of "it looks pretty when I own it."

Essentially, I bet the Orokin closed off vast reaches of space to give to the rich and powerful. Like, entire asteroid fields and planetoids. I can easily imagine the Orokin giving, like, the planetoid Makemake to some noble because he was of Executor blood. These were people that literally worshiped themselves. Enclosure in space is not that far off an idea.

This would also explain why there are still tons of resources to be mined even a thousand years after the Orokin. The Orokin didn't need to go to Tau for more resources - they needed to go to Tau for more land to enclose.
Edited by Sitchrea
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Aldain said:

Nef's Terrorists are our Freedom Fighters.

...Also Nef deserves it.

it's a matter of perspective really. one side see themselves as freedom fighters, another side sees themselves as benevolent overlords trying to bring order to the chaos, but keep being upended by violent extremists.

"Everyone thinks they're the Hero of their own story". - Handsome Jack.

• Like 4

As long as I get paid you can call yourself queen of toeland and everyone on your toe as your subjects.

I am a mercenary, I do not care about you policies or principles, I will fight for you, I will kill for you and if necessary die in the process to keep up my end of the bargain. 

Anything happening as a consequence is just collateral. 

Y'know, I think that's just $&*^ish enough to be believable for the Orokin. Headcanon accepted.

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

As long as I get paid you can call yourself queen of toeland and everyone on your toe as your subjects.

I am a mercenary, I do not care about you policies or principles, I will fight for you, I will kill for you and if necessary die in the process to keep up my end of the bargain. 

Anything happening as a consequence is just collateral. 

Not sure how your little edgelord tirade is relevant to the discussion, but you do you mate.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Y'know, I think that's just $&*^ish enough to be believable for the Orokin. Headcanon accepted.

Not sure how your little edgelord tirade is relevant to the discussion, but you do you mate.

I seem to have forgotten to quote the person before me. 

Now I feel embarrassed. 

Well that might be one reason, the other being that Orokin used terraforming technology that could very well be employed to spike the renew rate of natural resources. 

On top of that it seems Orokin also knew how to mine asteroids and planetoids in the kuipfer nebula, and how to distill the gas giants' surface strata for materials. Those two resources are hardly gonna ran out in the span of just a millennia. 

13 hours ago, Sitchrea said:

Why We Still Have Harvestable Resources In Origin A Thousand Years After The Orokin Empire

We are gnawing at the bones of their long dead corpses. Their megastructures, built in the name of pure hubris, each for a single Orokin, stripped apart into base material provide resources for vast cities of Grineer or Corpus. 

14 hours ago, Sitchrea said:

What do I mean? Enclosure - the policies that almost killed Great Britain in the Victorian era. It was a policy that allowed English noblemen to close off public land for their personal (read: recreational) use. Whole forests, acres upon acres of farmable land, all wasted for the excuse of "it looks pretty when I own it."

Ironically, private reserves probably saved them. By limiting who was allowed to extract the resources, they prevented overexploitation. 

Compare to other parts of the empire, Barbados comes to mind, named because trees on th are island looked like old bearded men "los Barbados". Today we don't know what trees those were, and they lost all of their old growth forest during the sugar revolution, as the wood was needed for everything from building material to fuel for the stills. Along with that forest, would have gone the majority of their biodiversity, native orchid species, fauna, other flora. 

There is no way to truly tabulate their losses, because nobody was keeping track of it all. But compared to the island of Tobago, where the British created the first legally protected forest reserve in the 1770's, the difference is chilling. 

That's what you're unhappy wasn't allowed to happen in Victorian England? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

We are gnawing at the bones of their long dead corpses. Their megastructures, built in the name of pure hubris, each for a single Orokin, stripped apart into base material provide resources for vast cities of Grineer or Corpus. 

Ironically, private reserves probably saved them. By limiting who was allowed to extract the resources, they prevented overexploitation. 

Compare to other parts of the empire, Barbados comes to mind, named because trees on th are island looked like old bearded men "los Barbados". Today we don't know what trees those were, and they lost all of their old growth forest during the sugar revolution, as the wood was needed for everything from building material to fuel for the stills. Along with that forest, would have gone the majority of their biodiversity, native orchid species, fauna, other flora. 

There is no way to truly tabulate their losses, because nobody was keeping track of it all. But compared to the island of Tobago, where the British created the first legally protected forest reserve in the 1770's, the difference is chilling. 

That's what you're unhappy wasn't allowed to happen in Victorian England? 

1. Agree - I really hope we get to see more Orokin megastructures beyond Lua. I would love to see an Ygdrasil Complex above Jupiter or a giant orbital habitat drifting derelict off the solar railway.

2. I'm not unhappy with anything in Victorian England. Just citing a historical precedent for the Orokin Empire.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sitchrea said:
I doubt that the Orokin actually ran out of resources. I bet they ran out of obtainable resources.

Could be. Or they were lying to the public in general about what their real motivations were. 

1 hour ago, (NSW)Badger said:

If by that you mean the treatment of the Fortuna-ites by the Corpus then yes, that is terrorism. 

That's not terrorism. That's what oppression and exploitation looks like. They're keeping the boot on the neck of the debt colony to keep them where they are. 

Be glad you're tenno and Unauthorized. 

26 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

Could be. Or they were lying to the public in general about what their real motivations were. 

Remember Tenno, "running out of resources" means different things for different people. 

Random Grineer miner: More rumble, more shining. This is a good day. All of us, shovelling to the beat of the machines. Only a fraction of a cycle left on this rock, days really. I keep thinking: What will the next rock be like? There must be a few billion of tons of rock just like this. This is good rock. This is a good day. 

Random Orokin: What? What do you mean there are only a few billion tons of ferrite left in the entire system? I need more than that just to remodel my living room! This is unacceptable. As a member of the High Council I demand that we take action immediately. BALLAS! GET IN HERE! They're telling me that I have to put my renovation plans on hold. Do something! 

Ballas: Well now, we can't have that. Fortunately I have the solution to all of your problems right here.... 

It would seem nobody truly knows they want a thing until you threaten to take it away. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sitchrea said:

This would also explain why there are still tons of resources to be mined even a thousand years after the Orokin. The Orokin didn't need to go to Tau for more resources - they needed to go to Tau for more land to enclose.

Real Estate is a serious business thing... like literally... helped a lot brokers rise to the top... in my observation...

2 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

That's not terrorism. That's what oppression and exploitation looks like. They're keeping the boot on the neck of the debt colony to keep them where they are. 

Be glad you're tenno and Unauthorized. 

Inflicting terror and pain is the definition of terrorism, it need not always have political motivations, and it need not always be physical. In this case there is not only the sort of debt peony practiced by feudal lords, there is an occupying force as well. We are seeing economic violence as well as physical violence spurred on by, for lack of a better word, "capital". While you could argue that occupying a people and subjugating not only their culture but their very lives does not strictly fit the definition of terrorism, I doubt you would argue that to the face of those who've suffered this particular brand of it. Terrorism is oftentimes created by authoritarian elements. For instance, Kristallnacht has often and rightly been viewed as an act of terrorism against the Jewish middle class of Germany. If the substance or aim of the actions is to cause terror and through that terror exert control, that makes it terrorism.

Edited by (NSW)Badger